Nintendoga

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Yeah, honestly with how much moveset potential he has shovel knight would be a pretty good character. That said though, I'd rather have someone else like klonoa or ray 01 (as unlikely as those are) over shovel knight since its a bit too much of an obvious choice and while I did like the game I didn't really think it was the end all be all of platformers like many had been praising it for.

Eh, I will admit that they'd have to take quite a few liberties with his abilities to get Shovel Knight a full moveset. He's got some obvious choices, like using relics for specials and the shovel drop for his down air, but otherwise it's a bit like if you were trying to kit out Megaman for Smash...but only using moves from MM2.

That said, I do think they could find plenty of interesting things to do with him if they did decide to include him. Super-bouncy chaos spheres, dropping the fishing rod's anchor like Villager's bowling ball, maybe even some fun stuff with the mobile gear.

Out of the ones voted for, Banjo-Kazooie's the only one I really want. Shit, already have the moves that are in the games almost perfectly able to be translated over to Smash.

I guess K-Rool would be cool, too. Always down for more villain rep.

Also wanted Eggman, but god knows there's an even slimmer chance of him getting in before Shadow, Tails, or Knuckles.

I believe this is a sign.

Retro Studio's I believe whenever you do the next Donkey Kong game, it's you brought back K.Rool and the Kremlings.

Also surprising, seeing Arle Nadja of the Madou Monogatari and Puyo Puyo series having some popularity for Smash on the JP chart caught me by surprise, I knew the Puyo Puyo series is immensly popular in Japan to the point that they have huge tournaments (problemly more so than Sonic at this point), but I certainly didn't see that coming.

Well it's not like Arle is defenseless, girl been kicking ass with magic since she was a 5 year old kindergartener.  

Might I ask what K.Rool has that would make it easy to make a character out of? Shoot cannon balls 5 different ways?

I get not liking K. Rool, but they've made other great characters working with even less. I'm sure they could come up with something. All you're doing by asking this is inviting K. Rool fans to post all their mockup movesets. :V

I get not liking K. Rool, but they've made other great characters working with even less. I'm sure they could come up with something. All you're doing by asking this is inviting K. Rool fans to post all their mockup movesets. :V

I know, I was responding to Diogenes statment about having to work around Shovel Knight's moveset

Which by the way would not be hard

I know, I was responding to Diogenes statment about having to work around Shovel Knight's moveset

Which by the way would not be hard

Ah, okay. Gotcha.

I'm convinced the K. Rool hype is 5% genuine support, and 95% Stockholm Syndrome from having to deal with that song and dance for almost a decade.

So basically like Ridley then?

I'm convinced the K. Rool hype is 5% genuine support, and 95% Stockholm Syndrome from having to deal with that song and dance for almost a decade.

Which song and dance? The "One of Us" song or whatever? That came into the picture due to the K. Rool hype, not the other way around. Its barely seen the light of day for 20 years, and only showed up again within the past year because it fit the K. Rool hype to a T.

What's "Iconic" doesn't really factor in Smash as much as people think it does. otherwise stuff like Xenoblade and Pikmin wouldn't even have a chance. Not to mention K Rool isn't actually iconic in any sense either. He just has a cult following on the internet like a lot of characters do.

What do you define as "iconic"?

http://www.mariowiki.com/King_K._Rool

You can't call a character's popularity a mere "cult following" when said character was the main antagonist of a franchise for 15 years... Even if you don't count the spinoff appearances as him being an antagonist, just a year before his last appearance he was once again the main antagonist of DK: Jungle Climber. Not to mention in numerous other DK media as well.

That's not a mere "cult following." That's a legacy.

Ah, okay. Gotcha.

So basically like Ridley then?

Ridley's status I would argue is more questionable. In the Metroid franchise he's Samus' arch-nemesis and is the only real consistent element other than Samus herself, but he's never really been the main antagonist of any one game and never the final boss either. (Something which has remained consistent with K. Rool until Returns.)

I'm... not sure why I even have to argue this... or should, since its just going to get dismissed anyway.

I gotta be honest, I don't care for Shovel Knight and I'd be disappointed if he got in over better and more deserving characters.

And dafuq is Krystal doing in second place in that Japanese poll. Is the lust for furry boobs really that strong?[emoji1]

What do you define as "iconic"?

http://www.mariowiki.com/King_K._Rool

You can't call a character's popularity a mere "cult following" when said character was the main antagonist of a franchise for 15 years... Even if you don't count the spinoff appearances as him being an antagonist, just a year before his last appearance he was once again the main antagonist of DK: Jungle Climber. Not to mention in numerous other DK media as well.

King K Rool being a reoccurring character in the franchise doesn't actually solidify him as some sort of icon. Despite him having a constant presence in the franchise for years, he and the Kremlings were dropped in the newer games and the franchise went on without a hitch. 

Let me put it this way: Just showing up to class doesn't make you an A+ student. K. Rool isn't even kind of a Bowser or Ganon or even Dedede in terms of legacy, no matter how many games he's showed up in. Rare had a tremendous knack for making all sorts of grand and memorable characters (heck, look at Banko & Kazooie, or even most of the Kongs for that matter), but K. Rool is super not one of them. Design-wise he's nothing special, and character-wise there's not really anything there, to the point where the DK games carried on without him and suffered absolutely nothing. Cranky Kong is memorable, Dixie is memorable, Funky Kong is memorable, but Bowser in a Cape is still just Bowser in a Cape. I legit forgot he existed for years and my enjoyment of the series didn't dwindle an iota.

"Iconic" is a tough thing to define but.

Chances are, if you show most modern gamers from all systems and ages a pic of King K. Rool and Shovel Knight, the older ones are gonna recognise King K. Rool but all of them will recognise Shovel Knight. Shovel Knight is possibly the biggest indie success story of all time, he is iconic, and anyone who's played his game is filled with this feeling that "yeah ok maybe this guy deserves to be a retro icon even though he's not even retro".

That's not to say Shovel Knight deserves to be in Smash but if we're talking about "iconic-ness" it's really easy to argue that Shovel Knight is more iconic today than King K. Rool is. Legacy =/= Iconic-ness. And it also seems like more ppl in this thread need to actually play Shovel Knight.

Either way while I still also don't understand why K. Rool is as popular as he is he is a villain and he is from DK which is a series that could do with more rep. And at this point it seems like he's gonna win to be honest, being the first in English speaking regions AND Japan gives him a huge boon.

I'm also really losing hope for Isaac, he's even less popular in Japan than I thought haha :/

Also those poll results don't show Veterans which I'm assuming would be even higher than K. Rool if they were shown bc Japan loves Veterans more than anything.

On a slightly related note.. as far as I know it's been a very long time since there was a worldwide poll of this nature for Smash Bros., so there's a chance this whole thing could really shake up Nintendo's and Sakurai's ideas of who is popular and why.

Ridley still has a chance because Sakurai may not have realised just how popular Ridley is/how much people want him playable when making him a boss character. I totally understand Sakurai's reasoning for not including him and it would be difficult to make him playable, but people can always vote him if they want because there is always gonna be that hope that Sakurai could work a miracle with him.

Yeah I gotta echo that proof that K. Rool really doesn't have anything going for him is that the new DKC games suffer 0% from not featuring him or the Kremlings, and that nobody but the most nostalgic fans give two shits that he's gone. You want to know what would be different about Retro's games if K. Rool were in them? Not a single fucking thing.

In fact, K. Rool not returning in Tropical Freeze should have shot down hopes of him reappearing in Smash Bros. a long time ago. If they didn't bring him back then, Nintendo is unlikely to ever do so.

Shantae is more likely to make it in over Shovel Knight, not only because she's been around longer than the latter but also because I don't think ANYONE in Japan knows wtf a Shovel Knight is. As far as I know, the game hasn't been released in Japan so it's no wonder there's nobody voting for him.

I remember the Japanese Smash Bros fans were pretty confused by Little Mac's inclusion, imagine how confused they'll be about Shovel Knight!

In fact, K. Rool not returning in Tropical Freeze should have shot down hopes of him reappearing in Smash Bros. a long time ago. If they didn't bring him back then, Nintendo is unlikely to ever do so.

To be fair that's kinda the point of this Ballot in the first place, so Nintendo can see who has popularity they didn't notice.

Even if K. Rool is #1 on the ballot, I would be VERY surprised if he actually makes it in as DLC. I just can't envision Nintendo doing it now especially, when he doesn't even fit into any of Sakurai's previously mentioned (albeit at times questionable) criteria