Nintendoga

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Even if K. Rool is #1 on the ballot, I would be VERY surprised if he actually makes it in as DLC. I just can't envision Nintendo doing it now especially, when he doesn't even fit into any of Sakurai's previously mentioned (albeit at times questionable) criteria

I feel like the whole point of the ballot is to prioritise the fans' criteria over Sakurai's for once.

It's not like K. Rool is devoid of moveset potential or has some other factor making his playability a real difficulty. Maybe he doesn't give Sakurai any inspiration but with an event specifically designed to ask the fans who the most popular characters are I think his lack of inspiration will take a backseat this time.

Well, it depends on how closely they feel obliged to adhere to the ballot.  If one character is the clear winner, if they have the rights to that character, if that character has moveset potential, what can they do?  For me, the fact that K. Rool actually has Japanese popularity as well is a definite credibility boost.  And again, I feel that... the fact that he's really ugly almost makes it more likely that he'll get in?  Because he looks like someone who wouldn't get in without fan support.  That's how I feel.

I wish Isaac had more Japanese support, though... but at least he's up there.  And I still think they might have intended him to be in the game at one point, and that would boost his chances.

Shovel Knight I like a lot more than Shantae, but I don't think Shovel Knight deserves to be in as much as Shantae; he hasn't demonstrated enduring appeal yet, and the game isn't even out in Japan.  Mind you, Shantae probably doesn't exist in Japan either, but somehow I think they'd find it in themselves to accept her...  But we can't lose sight of the fact that they'll want to weight Japanese picks as highly as western picks.  Dixie, therefore, would seem to stand a good chance, as she's someone who's come up in the west as well, unlike Krystal.  Although I don't think they'd do two bonus characters from the same franchise, so K. Rool might crowd her out.  Paper Mario it is?

My cynical half tells me that Sakurai won't go by who got voted the most and basically just pick whoever in the top 20 appeals to him the most.

Yeah, that honestly wouldn't surprise me either.  I don't think that we'll get an actual detailed results breakdown or anything, they'll just say "and the winners are..." and it'll be whichever characters were both really popular and really practical.

Shantae is more likely to make it in over Shovel Knight, not only because she's been around longer than the latter but also because I don't think ANYONE in Japan knows wtf a Shovel Knight is. As far as I know, the game hasn't been released in Japan so it's no wonder there's nobody voting for him.

I remember the Japanese Smash Bros fans were pretty confused by Little Mac's inclusion, imagine how confused they'll be about Shovel Knight!

I dunno about this one, because I personally only really heard about Shantae during Half Genie Hero's Kickstarter, and Shantae's been around since 2002. However, Shovel Knight; I heard about since Day 1 is is at least in my eyes, a much bigger deal. Even to this day, I haven't really heard people talk about Pirate's Curse and people still are talking about how awesome Shovel Knight is. And it is awesome. GOTY 2014. But I haven't played a Shantae game, and maybe that's at least somewhat of a testament to popularity, etc.

Shantae is more likely to make it in over Shovel Knight, not only because she's been around longer than the latter but also because I don't think ANYONE in Japan knows wtf a Shovel Knight is. As far as I know, the game hasn't been released in Japan so it's no wonder there's nobody voting for him.

Shantae's games weren't released in Japan either, to my knowledge, hence why she's also not on that list. 

I'd love to see either, personally, but I don't think her chances are any better. 

Shantae's games weren't released in Japan either, to my knowledge, hence why she's also not on that list.

Shantae didn't, Risky's Revenge did on Steam I think, Pirate's Curse didn't, and Half-Genie Hero might, I dunno.

Japan has their icons games just as we have ours.

For instance, ya'll did saw on the JP Kotaku chart that they had Puyo Puyo/Madou Monogatari protagonist Arle Nadja on their right? She's a SEGA icon that barely at all has been seen in the west except for like one or two games compared to the 20 that Japan got. 

Matter of fact, just like with Panel De Pon becoming Yoshi cookies over here, Puyo Puyo became Dr. Robotniks Mean Bean Machine and Kirby's Avalanche over here, You can ask a lot of American SEGA fans who Arle is and they wouldn't know, but gurenteed that a Japanese person definitely would cause her games are mostly Japan in mind.

I gotta say, I didn't know that little Mac is kinda low key to Japanese players, I guess same said about us and Fire Emblem back in Melee.

Okay, I'll just suggest why I think K.Rool is so popular.

First. Sure, he's not much a looker, but then again not everyone in this game is Made to be much a looker. Sure, by now some of their designs are iconic, as is K.Rool's.

Second, it is quite obvious that aside from Ganondorf and the occasional 'Bowsergotserious,' K.Rool literally wants the Kongs either locked away or dead. That's some serious stuff, IMO.

Third, The moveset potential. Say what you want, he has plenty of places to pull moves from. Heck, as one person pointed out, you could literally take only his stuff from DKC2, and it'd be complete. I do recall Sakurai stating that this was a factor at one point...

Fourth, he still has fans. Something obviously is right when more people recall and like him more then the one-off Tikis and the potentially returning but you can't really be sure Snowmads.

Really, it's all up to you how you feel. I mean, I know someone who can't stand the idea of Issac in Smash, and I'm sure you GS fans would highly disagree.

For those wary about the impact of a fan poll.

sonic_071010c-l.jpg

He made it in Brawl purely through a fan poll in Japan. Had that poll not happened, the game likely would not have been delayed like it did. These polls do have some merit.

At this point I think Sonic's legacy proceeds itself enough to be important enough to be considered for Smash. It's gotten to the point where it would feel wrong if he wasn't included in future instalments, and I feel Mega Man will continue the same trend.

I'm not sure if Sonic being chosen for Brawl was due to a Japanese poll or just common sense to be honest. It said "the most anticipated character makes his Smash debut" and it was probably true around the world rather than just Japan. Out of every guest character people ever wanted for Smash there had always been one obvious choice and that resonated in pretty much every region Sonic had ever been relevant.

I agree that if Sonic misses out on a Smash game now it'll feel "wrong". If Mega Man and Pac-Man are in the next one then I'd consider them regulars too, they belong in Smash imo so it'd feel weird if one of them left next time, like the guest roster was just incomplete.

I think Pac-Man will have no problem getting back into Smash though, Nintendo collab with Namco relatively often and probably will continue to on and off, that and Pac-Man is gonna become almost free to use for Japanese devs in the next few months (I'm not sure if that applies to Nintendo but still).

I don't really care if K. Rool gets in or not, but why does it seem like everyone is so vehemently against his inclusion? I don't remember him being particularly disliked or anything. 

Or this is just another case of "My character derserves to be in the game way more than X" I say this as someone who just wants a decent character representation.