Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

I don't really think that has any grounding though. Sakurai pretty much picks anyone that he sees potential in hence these guys as assist trophies: 

100px-SablePrinceTrophyWiiU.png100px-TakamaruTrophyWiiU.pngAs well as Lucas being in Brawl and coming back as DLC.

There's also Little Mac who has little no attention in Japan yet still made it as a playable character.

• Thumbs Up 6

The difference is that those characters were added in the main game. Sakurai can throw in characters like Wii Fit Trainer because so long as the game has characters people do like they'll buy it anyway. DLC characters are pretty much required to be popular, because nobody is going to go out of their way to buy a character they've never even heard of. Especially when the entire point of the voitng is to choose the characters who are most popular among the fans, why the hell would they choose a character who literally isn't even available to like half of their userbase?

• Thumbs Up 4

The difference is that those characters were added in the main game. Sakurai can throw in characters like Wii Fit Trainer because so long as the game has characters people do like they'll buy it anyway. DLC characters are pretty much required to be popular, because nobody is going to go out of their way to buy a character they've never even heard of. Especially when the entire point of the voitng is to choose the characters who are most popular among the fans, why the hell would they choose a character who literally isn't even available to like half of their userbase?

More sonic content would be nice. Music, trophies or assist trophies.

One remix would do me good. Just one.

Maybe bring the trophies that was only on the 3ds version and bring them onto the wiiu.

But that won't happen.

Lucas does have the benefit of being a Veteran, meaning a lot more people around the world are fond of him and familiar with him. I'm sure the same would be true if Little Mac missed out on Smash 5 and was DLC for it, Japan would probably buy him because of Smash4 even if he's relatively unknown in Japan.

Newcomers for Smash are a big deal so I'm sure no matter who it is they will sell well, but I don't think a character like Shovel Knight would get as many sales in Japan as a character Japanese fans are familiar with would.

In the end though it's genuinely so hard to tell what Nintendo will do. Will they prioritise fan popularity? or how well a character will sell? or which characters they think would work in Smash best? We'll have to wait and see on all accounts.

• Thumbs Up 2

Also, tournament scene tends to love to eat up new characters, so that'll help too as long as it stays strong

Nintendo has also started to get smarter, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was eventually a bundle/season pass or discount when more of the DLC comes, heck even free periods

I'm starting to get extremely annoyed at all the devs who are talking about wanting their characters in Smash. Especially the ones with next to no history with Nintendo or ones who are known for being extremely critical of Nintendo. Come on, don't you guys have any fucking pride and have better things to do than to grovel for free advertising

I wonder if the splatoon girl has a chance to show up as a character since odds are the voting system will go on for couple of fighters could give them a chance to rise up in fame once the game releases

Let the 3rd parties desperately beg, I'm pretty dang sure Nintendo and whatevers are only even consider the ones that would matter, or at worst gave them a lot of money to do it. But for the latter, this poll and whole schpeel isn't about that I don't think, I think it's genuinely to see what would want. From there they'll review the top votes and see which would be most fitting.

So no, Engineer from Battlefield 3 and Abe from Oddworld won't make the cut no matter how much begging and voting happens, but I definitely think there's a distinct handful of 3rd party characters that would have a chance at least, and most are all ready talking about it. Shantae, Shovel Knight, Simon Belmont, Wonder Red, Chibi-Robo, etc; would be realistic choices since they have some established history with Nintendo and would stand out enough.

I don't know, it's going to be an interesting year I think for Smash news because we've never had something like this before. Who knows how long the DLC will run. Could be Mewtwo, Lucas, and the poll character only. Could be a lot more surprises in between, and maybe not even just new characters. Honestly I'm expecting a total of 5, Wolf returning for 3 vets, and 2 new characters, but we'll see. I just would love if there was a dedicated team at Nintendo that continues to enhance and adds to Smash as if it's the "home base" video game for your Wii U, and over time until it's death would be a great record of the Wii U's history, and just Nintendo in general. It won't go down like that, but that'd be my ultimate wish I guess haha.

• Thumbs Up 4

The most likely choices we'll probably get would be Wolf, Krystal, and King K. Rool. These trolls wanting Goku, just so they can have him launch his foes with a single punch, and because they don't have a Dragon Ball game on Wii U. They need to downsize Xenoverse to make it work on the Wii U. And Shrek, WHY do they need Shrek? Don't they know that Shrek's movies are DONE? We don't need him in Smash! That's even more annoying than DONKEY, oddly enough.

Goddamn all these third party developers coming out of the woodworks and suddenly wanting characters like Meat Boy in the game! Besides Banjo Kazooie, hardly any of them make sense (because no Ninteno relevance) and I hope Sakurai is smart enough to ignore them all!

I keep forgetting that the poll will finish in October which is super deep. And then they'll start development after or maybe even before its closed and be finish probably by summer.

So this is gonna be a long wait. Maybe along the way another veteran will come back like wolf or hopefully snake which probably won't happen.

Honestly, the only Indie I can really see happening is Quote at this point (maybe with Curly Brace as an alt). Originally I was thinking Shantae, but then I found out Shantae has never been in Japan either. Lack of Japanese support will likely kill a lot of potentials unfortunately.

...plus any third-party would likely need far more support than the average first-party Nintendo character to justify getting all the licensing and rights together.

I keep forgetting that the poll will finish in October which is super deep. And then they'll start development after or maybe even before its closed and be finish probably by summer.

So this is gonna be a long wait. Maybe along the way another veteran will come back like wolf or hopefully snake which probably won't happen.

The issue is, that IS a long time. So I highly doubt they'll wait that long to do absolutely any characters. Wolf, well, yeah, he'll probably happen right away. But then another 8 months for another character? Sorry, don't buy it, they're not going to take a break from development during this time.

Either they've got another character in the works right now (Wolf would be, at the latest, August), or they'll take the current leader in the poll and start working on said character within a month or two, probably announcing said character at E3 for the hype, planning to release said character in October or so.

The issue is the timing, and the fact that they're NOT going to just stop development all-together. And I highly doubt we'll just get a bunch of other things but characters during all this time. Odds are, they'll want to keep working on characters as well. Even if its just one, they'll probably be working on one character to release between October and December.

If it was three months or so, that's a lot more reasonable. But not in this circumstance. Either they're working on more characters right now (and not just Wolf because he'd go too quickly), or they'll start another one with preliminary polling data.

Nah I'm thinking we'll get stages in between the final veteran DLC and the Ballot dlc.

Part of the reason characters are taking much longer is because the team is not working on Smash DLC full time like they did with the game, the Namco team probably have other projects to work on alongside Smash DLC. If they were working on Smash DLC fulltime, we should have a third's worth of the game in extra content in a year (the game was made in two years) and that clearly isn't happening because the team isn't working on Smash DLC full time.

Working on characters for a few months, then stages for a while before back to characters is definitely something that could happen given the lesser focus on DLC development compared to full game development. I really doubt we'll be getting semi-regular characters until the ballot ones are done.

Nah I'm thinking we'll get stages in between the final veteran DLC and the Ballot dlc.

Part of the reason characters are taking much longer is because the team is not working on Smash DLC full time like they did with the game, the Namco team probably have other projects to work on alongside Smash DLC. If they were working on Smash DLC fulltime, we should have a third's worth of the game in extra content in a year (the game was made in two years) and that clearly isn't happening because the team isn't working on Smash DLC full time.

Working on characters for a few months, then stages for a while before back to characters is definitely something that could happen given the lesser focus on DLC development compared to full game development. I really doubt we'll be getting semi-regular characters until the ballot ones are done.

I'm not saying we'll get semi-regular characters. I just don't think they're going to wait 8 months to release more characters.

I'm not saying we'll get semi-regular characters. I just don't think they're not going to release any characters for 8 months.

I think that could happen with development focus being given to stages instead, but I guess we'll see.

Funny story, before the Miis were revealed to have custom movesets I was really hoping they'd have one revolving around wielding Nintendo peripherals AVGN style. I'm not unhappy with what we got but honestly I still would've preferred that, ahahaha

Speaking of which actually, do you think we might ever get additional Mii Fighter movesets as "character" DLC? If nothing else, a spellcaster Mii could easily fill in the gaps that the other three haven't occupied yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't mind seeing a new Mii Fighter myself in form of a Mage Mii, maybe a Ninja one as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

I voted for Bayonetta, and my top favourites are:

1) Bayonetta

2) Inkling

3) Krystal

4) Wonder Red

5) Shovel Knight

I hope some of them join the battle :P

• Thumbs Up 1

I voted for Krystal. They have a whole bunch of fighting potential they can use from Star Fox Adventures. Sure it technically was Fox doing all the fighting but I think Krystal fighting with the staff in smash would be great. Hey and she could even use the staff power ups as special moves!

• Thumbs Up 1

The issue is, that IS a long time. So I highly doubt they'll wait that long to do absolutely any characters. Wolf, well, yeah, he'll probably happen right away. But then another 8 months for another character? Sorry, don't buy it, they're not going to take a break from development during this time.

It took 5 months for Mewtwo to come out, possibly more, and he's using his old moveset and has the same floatiness about him. We can assume Lucas is having a 5 month development cycle too.

5 months for characters with pre-existing movesets, aka a template to work off of. Yeah, I'll be shocked if a newcomer has the same development cycle time.

They might just take a look at existing polling data, find a highly-requested character (within reason), go with that and work on it alongside Lucas, and when this one's done, take a look at the runner-up or the new hot topic at the end of the polling cycle (six months from now) and work on that one.