Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

It only took that long to make Mewtwo because they spent most of that time balancing him against the rest of the roster IIRC. I dunno about you, but that sounds like the kind of thing you could do - and perhaps might even be more efficient to do - with multiple characters at a time.

Though I'm not sure how much "using his old moveset" counts for when Melee's data is so old that they had to recreate it entirely from scratch.

I voted for Krystal. They have a whole bunch of fighting potential they can use from Star Fox Adventures. Sure it technically was Fox doing all the fighting but I think Krystal fighting with the staff in smash would be great. Hey and she could even use the staff power ups as special moves!

I think the same! Her design is outstanding too! I can't figure why she's so underrated though...No character in Smash wield a staff, that could open up to some interesting moves, if u also consider the magic aspect. Plus, she's a female, and Star Fox is returning. I personally find her more interesting than Wolf (as long as staff combat is included)

Though I'm not sure how much "using his old moveset" counts for when Melee's data is so old that they had to recreate it entirely from scratch.

Because the moveset was used as a template.

Recreating Mewtwo is less taxing because all they have to do is look at the moves he used and make the equivalent animations in the Sm4sh code. He flicks with his tail with Bair, recreate the animation in Sm4sh. He bombs the ground with Dsmash, have him do the same thing, and add the additional GFX and new SFX to it.

There's also a matter for new characters in that it's not enough to just think of a moveset. The character also has to move in a fluent, believable, and adjusted and balanced way while performing the respective action.

Let's look at Mario's fireballs for an example: in the regular Mario games, in order to make the platforming experience seamless, Fire Mario throws the balls out Frame 1 at a very fast speed, and the balls themselves have an extremely long lifespan. In Smash, that would be amazingly imbalanced - Fox lasers on hitstun-producing crack - so in order to make up for that, Mario has a slight delay before tossing the fireball out at a slow, short pace, and some ending delay before he can throw another Fireball. The inspiration for the move is apparent, but its also toned down to not make the ubiquitous tool of Mario's entire movekit.

So with a new character, there's a matter of thinking of the moveset, but there's also the matter of readjusting the move or the character himself to insert him or her into Smash in a way that resembles balance, or at least proper function. Mewtwo and Lucas already worked before, no reason to reinvent the wheel and devote 3 more months thinking of new stuff beyond custom moves that reuse the same animations anyway. Not so for guys like Paper Mario, Shovel Knight, Shantae, Anti-Guy, Captain Rainbow, the "Grumble, Grumble" beast in Temple 6 of the original Legend of Zelda, whatever.

• Thumbs Up 2

Man, I don't think I'd want to live if Mario's fireballs were 1:1 accurate with the games. That motherfucker would be walling you out so hard, it's crazy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bowser would be the only character who would actually be a threat to Mario having that ability of fireball spam, Bowser having his super armor...it'd too be just like the games.

Because the moveset was used as a template.

Recreating Mewtwo is less taxing because all they have to do is look at the moves he used and make the equivalent animations in the Sm4sh code. He flicks with his tail with Bair, recreate the animation in Sm4sh. He bombs the ground with Dsmash, have him do the same thing, and add the additional GFX and new SFX to it.

There's also a matter for new characters in that it's not enough to just think of a moveset. The character also has to move in a fluent, believable, and adjusted and balanced way while performing the respective action.

Let's look at Mario's fireballs for an example: in the regular Mario games, in order to make the platforming experience seamless, Fire Mario throws the balls out Frame 1 at a very fast speed, and the balls themselves have an extremely long lifespan. In Smash, that would be amazingly imbalanced - Fox lasers on hitstun-producing crack - so in order to make up for that, Mario has a slight delay before tossing the fireball out at a slow, short pace, and some ending delay before he can throw another Fireball. The inspiration for the move is apparent, but its also toned down to not make the ubiquitous tool of Mario's entire movekit.

So with a new character, there's a matter of thinking of the moveset, but there's also the matter of readjusting the move or the character himself to insert him or her into Smash in a way that resembles balance, or at least proper function. Mewtwo and Lucas already worked before, no reason to reinvent the wheel and devote 3 more months thinking of new stuff beyond custom moves that reuse the same animations anyway. Not so for guys like Paper Mario, Shovel Knight, Shantae, Anti-Guy, Captain Rainbow, the "Grumble, Grumble" beast in Temple 6 of the original Legend of Zelda, whatever.

You know what?

This makes me want the polygon dude from the 64 alpha, Dragon King

• Thumbs Up 1

You know what?

This makes me want the polygon dude from the 64 alpha, Dragon King

I'm pretty sure Captain Falcon's moveset was actually taken from one of the generic fighters from Dragon King, so there's that

I really hope there will be DLC stages. I would love to see World Bowser or City Escape.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really hope there will be DLC stages. I would love to see World Bowser or City Escape.

• Thumbs Up 6

Old, but now super duper relevant again due to Smash Ballot... Fun and catchy as well

#KrocTheVote

• Thumbs Up 1

I heard some people even talk about how either Professor Layton or Phoenix Wright should be in Smash.

For Phoenix eh I guess it could work since Marvel vs Capcom managed to some how give him a moveset.

As for Layton I have no idea, in the games pretty much his only fighting skill is fencing.

He'd just stand in the background and throw puzzles at everyone out of his hat.  His Final Smash would be turning all the other fighters into a puzzle, and then you have to solve the puzzle, and if you get it right then everyone takes massive damage.  Square bracket forward slash half-joking square bracket.

I always wanted Layton but now that his series appears to be over he doesn't have the relevancy he had inbetween Brawl and Smash 4.  Would still make a nice Assist Trophy.

• Thumbs Up 3

I honestly think that a Mario Vs. DK stage would be fitting for a new DK stage for the 3DS version if DLC stages will  be a thing. specifically if Sakurai can bring to life Jumpy Jungle from Tipping Stars.

And maybe a water colored Prince Bowser castle stage from Yoshi's New Island

I knew that name was familiar, initicreates made my favorite out of the megaman series "megaman zero"

WHY DO THEY FORGET ABOUT HIM?!

Oh, come on, really? I love the Dragonfable/Adventurequest guys, but i didn't thought they could have gone this low.

Good, maybe now I can finally weild a sword with gunvolt. :|

Gunvolt's gameplay doesn't allow for melee weapons.

I swear this is like the 17th time I've seen you complain about this. Like, just play Zero and ZX instead or something

TBH it doesn't bother me in the slightest that devs want they're characters in Smash, it's not like any of these people will have their characters in the games.

I mean, it's good advertising for Nintendo now that I think about it. All these people talking about Nintendo and Smash Bros., I dunno. That's how I look at it.

• Thumbs Up 1