Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

But Super Kawaii Fuck Loli Magical Girl Princess came out like, 8 years ago. Can't they pick a more relevant character?

In all seriousness, I don't mean to make assumptions on what a culture wants, or to impugn their taste, but I don't see many people there asking for him until Shovel Knight actually gets a Japanese release. 

I would love for this to be the case. Given its success in the West, I actually wonder if Nintendo would be interested in publishing the game themselves. They've done stuff like that before, like with Rayman Legends.

In that case I'd prefer Shantae over Shovel Knight. More history with Nintendo, a cool moveset (though I can't deny Shovel Knight's would be neat too) and we need more female character rep! She could end up having a huge following in Japan, especially based on her looks. =P Buuut if we get Shovel Knight it'll certainly make up for Nintendo not getting anything in their version of Shovel Knight. 8I

Oh and that Banjo & Kazooie art is SO good! The genius behind Rayman has done it again.

On third Parties that are mainly in the west ya, Shantae far far far before Shovel Knight, she has a stronger relationship with Nintendo(all her games so far were exclusives at release), and she's actually a tad more diverse

But if we are talking about actual Nintendo owned western only characters, I'd have to say Mike Jones from Star Tropics

On third Parties that are mainly in the west ya, Shantae far far far before Shovel Knight, she has a stronger relationship with Nintendo(all her games so far were exclusives at release), and she's actually a tad more diverse

Huh? Shovel Knight has the shovel itself, whatever fancy shit you can do with a shovel and 11 relics that each perform a vastly different function. How is this not diverse?

• Thumbs Up 4

Huh? Shovel Knight has the shovel itself, whatever fancy shit you can do with a shovel and 11 relics that each perform a vastly different function. How is this not diverse?

Ok, ok forget about moveset I have not played shovel Knight, and I have no problem admitting that, however I do have to say if we are getting an indie character(which I think is highly unlikely), I think the one with 3 games out, a fourth on the way, a standing legacy, not a momentary phase of popularity(which could turn into long term popularity, but time will tell), an actual strong relationship with Nintendo(as in long periods of exclusivity, and exclusivity in a few permanently), and what I at least consider an more interesting design(no offence, but Shovel Knight just looks boring), is more likely. So ya, I think Shantae would deserve more and personally I think she would be more interesting. Note this is due in part to personal opinion I will admit that, however if you look at the full picture it does make sense. You can choose whoever you want, and I'm not going to harass you or bug you about that choice, but I don't have to agree with it either, and nothing is assured

However, if we narrow down to western only Nintendo character, I'd once again say Mike Jones

who in the actual fuck is mike jones

A quick Google search, apparently he's from Startropics. 

A quick Google search, apparently he's from Startropics. 

Then the question is... the fuck is StarTropics?

• Thumbs Up 3

Still wish Nintendo gave us more info on what is allowed with this ballot thing. The votes would be a lot more focused with some guidelines.

Robot_Jones_300.gif

Oh right. Whatever happened to him?

sorry

• Thumbs Up 7

Then the question is... the fuck is StarTropics?

Old NES RPG, off the top of my head. 

Psst, check the most recent topics. :P

StarTropics is this annoyingly stupid hard game on the NES or something. I'm stuck on the second boss due to a lack of save states.

I guess Mike Jones would be a cool character?

Having "Mike Jones" in Smash makes about as much sense as having the guy from OutRun in the sodding game in terms of recognisability and appeal, regardless of the latter's 3rd party status. Hell, the latter's probably more recognisable, and you only really see the back of his head in game!

Yacht Games is made from former Wayforward employees. I'm pretty sure they're on good terms with each other.

• Thumbs Up 5

Robot_Jones_300.gif

I don't blame you for not remembering him

Um, that's not mike Jones, this is mike Jone

1068801-mike_jones.gif

Also, he had two games, and I've seen some really good moveset suggestions, using both games(and the second involved time travel)

ironically enough, here's a great moveset I read, from Neogaf

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=159189682&postcount=3364

I got this.

Mike comes equipped with an arsenal of items that would make Pit and Link blush. He's typically defined by the Island Star (Yo-Yo for us OGs), a magic/psychic powered flail weapon that changes shape between a standard yo-yo, a mace on a retractable chain dubbed the "Shooting Star" and a funky, lightning energy blasting, white, silver and red yo-yo shaped flail dubbed "The Supernova". The interesting thing about this weapon is that it's shape is maintained/dictated by the level of vitality/focus Mike keeps up during his treks through the dungeons in the game. Beyond this, he has a host of supplemental weaponry including alien ray guns, bolas, slingshots, baseballs, baseball bats, whirling knives that separate into smaller portions, aquatic mines re-purposed for fighting on land (The game was about spelunking a large portion of the tropics and as such a lot of stuff is from ruined ships littered about the areas) and daggers. He also has a large number of magical support items such as anklet sneakers that allow him to float and jump further/higher (think of how the Tanooki tail items work in Smash already), cursed snowmen that freeze entire portions of the map, Mr. Mime style Mirror Shields that reflect enemy fire, and magic staffs that cast a screen wide flash bang stun effect (usually used to reveal hidden paths or enemies).

My personal favorite weapon in the first game (beyond the YoYo itself) is a pair of Cleats that enable god mode wherein Mike leaps into the air and dive kicks EVERYTHING in the area, most of the time for a OHKO. It's so over the top for an NES game. :lol

In the second game, we see him develop more of the psychic abilities he had been using without realizing in the first and he gains a vitality dependent long range energy blast known as the Psychic Shockwave that starts off small and gradually becomes long range pulses. A good bit of the weaponry described above comes back along with a dedicated "projectile melee" weapon that is upgraded as he passes through time starting with a caveman's ax before becoming an Egyptian dagger and ending as Merlin's Sword.

I actually took a shot at making a Mike moveset a few years back before I really got into doing fighting game character design that could give you an idea on what most people expect from the character:

A (Jab - See Forward Pass) - Pitches the plain island star straight forward.

A>A>A Hold (Barrage) - Pitches his Yo-Yo forward in quick succession at varying angles, building up damage similar to Fox's Kicks or Link's old AAA stabs.

Dashing A (Walking the Dog) - Mike runs forward then quickly launches his Yo-Yo forward at a 60 degree angle to the floor. Does average damage but has decent knock back, can KO at high damages if caught in the initial yoyo toss or first few instances of the "Walking The Dog" animation.

Up Tilt - Quickly throws his yo-yo, now resembling the Morning Star upward and makes it rotate, doing damage like Sonic's up smash.

Forward Tilt - Mike pitches the yo-yo in morning star form forward and it rotates in place damaging in a manner similar to his up tilt before retracting back to himself. This damages enemies while keeping then at bay.

Down Tilt - Mike wraps the yo-yo in its morning star form around his leg and does a "Skip It" motion with it gliding along the ground. The end of the yo-yo can meteors in certain situations (i.e. catching an opponent before grabbing the ledge) and the chain can sometimes trip opponents caught in it on the ground. Has a light pop-up effect when hit with the Star part on flat ground.

Forward Smash (Forward Pass) - Mike does a quick & simple forward pass pitch with the Island yo-yo, now donning a Supernova appearance to signify his Smash Attack. Has strong knock back, strong damage and the pull back motion can drag opponents closer to you. The longer you charge, the harder and quicker the hit. The yo-yo animates to reflect this strength (it will start sparking up greater than usual before released).

Up Smash (Around The World) - Mike swings his yo-yo over his head in a wide arc while psychic charging both the chain and Supernova. The greater the charge, the more devastating the effect.

Down Smash - Similar to Ness' downward smash, except Mike's yo-yo darts forward first then back and has a faster motion. Mike does a small hop animation as the yo-yo travels under him. It also retains the the Supernova properties of sparking up due to being a Smash attack. Has a great horizontal knock back and damage.

Neutral Air - Does a somesault with his morning star out and swings it in a sweeping somersault motion. (Think MetaKnight's nair but with the base yo-yo's reach)

Forward Air - CLEATS! More specifically, does a jumping full body kick reminiscent of Mario & Luigi's Forward Air from Smash Bros. 64.

Back Air - Back kick like Fox's Brawl bair using his cleats.

Down Air - A twirling kick much like Mario's old drill kick that racks up moderate damage. The last hit has a weak spike effect.

Grab - Mike just runs up to them and grabs them Yusuke (Yu Yu Hakusho) style.

Grab Attack - Mike casually slings the yoyo at their face while holding them with the other arm.

Back Throw - Mike tosses the character behind him and brings the island yoyo up to swat them away.

Forward Throw - Mike throws the opponent by their shirt forward.

Upward Throw - Mike throws them moderately high then shoots a volley of small psychic flash bombs at them all at once with his slingshot.

Down Throw - Mike jumps on top of them and stomps them (a la Kirby) with his cleats.

B Special (Pitch) - Mike will reach into his pocket and toss a Wonder Horsehide baseball at an opponent. Has minimal to good knock back and damage. When B is held down however, Mike will lob the baseball a small distance upward into the air before catching it again and putting it into his pocket unless it's interacted with via his Forward B (Swing).

Forward B (Swing) - Mike will swing a baseball bat forward. Does moderate knock back. There is also a random chance of him swinging either an ancient caveman's ax or a katana at the opponent. When a pitched baseball is in play, this move will always produce a baseball bat. Using this from his pitch cancels the animation of his standing B into a batter's stance where he can swing at the baseball he pitched upward. This can send the projectile in very different ways forward. When sweet spotted, the intensity of the projectile is dramatically enhanced.

Up B (Anklet Jump) - With wings on his shoes, Mike takes a mighty leap forward with his knee extended creating a pressure effect like Wolf's. Opponents are dealt one solid upward blow instead of being carried though. The wings then flap and keep his forward momentum up for recovery purposes.

Down B (Mirror Palms) - Mike makes a gesture like Mr. Mime in the Pokemon anime and an Aegis Reflector styled barrier that reflects projectiles is put in place in front of himself.

Final Smash: Ultra Psychic Shockwave - Mike tosses a psychic charge forward like a molotov cocktail that explodes with an electrical effect multiple times over a wide area.

Taunts

- Mike jumps in place twice mimicking his NES jumping sprite

- Mike takes out a "Try Your Luck" sign that rotates and reveals either a Smash logo, his series logo or a "+1" after the spin. This is in reference to how Try Your Luck signs in the series were guessing games involving him spinning a sign.

- A sound like someone going "ring ring" is heard and Mike looks for a phone on himself before a thought cloud appears over his head and Mica (the guide for all of StarTropics 2 and princess saved in StarTropics 1) looks at him scramble mischievously.

As much as I'd love destroying people while playing as shadow, there's the possibility that he has absolutely no chance because he's an assist trophy. -.-

And even in that case, there are assist trophies of Nintendo pure characters that should have priority over a third part character from a company already rapresented in the game.

-like Waluigi-

Who the fuck is Mike Jones?

Just another page out of the Mando obscure and vague book I guess.

Shantae and Shovel Knight pls

#ForShovelry!

#HotBellydancerGoGo!!

#HotBellydancerGoGo!!

I can't help but feel this is pretty much where half of Shantae's appeal comes from, even having played a couple of the games

• Thumbs Up 8

I can't help but feel this is pretty much where half of Shantae's appeal comes from, even having played a couple of the games

The transformations are a neat gameplay mechanic, and the music is superb.

• Thumbs Up 2