Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

More possible DLC placeholder stuff discovered. No names or anything though.

GTZ59o2.png

After Mewtwo there are 5 slots named Mario. So:

Lucas

Roy

Ryu

and possibly two others.

• Thumbs Up 1

More possible DLC placeholder stuff discovered. No names or anything though.

GTZ59o2.png

After Mewtwo there are 5 slots named Mario. So:

Lucas

Roy

Ryu

and possibly two others.

Honestly, I don't think those have any bearing the ballot, because you can easily add more slots, however I think that is how many we'll see by E3. Placeholder slots are usually added to the code to show what is currently in development so that they are quicker to add and remove. I heard a theory of Nintendo doing melee/Brawl/Newcomer, and I rather agree that is a likely possibility. Big reason they are doing DLC is a promotion to excite fans, so having multiple to announce increases hype. Same goes with the ballot, its a sign of good faith. However I'm still of the opinion with the Ballot that Nintendo has it running so long because they want to develop several characters based off it as it goes along to keep the hype and fan support going. Did you guys ever think Sakurai said 'we only have the resources to do a small amount of characters' is because they already had their plans and the ballot suggestions were planned from the beginning to be the cherries on top?

Also really don't get Chorus boys/Rhythm Heaven support, I mean the former are a minor subcharacter in a series that lacks a central character and only have any hype because everybody thinks they were going to be in due to a fake leak, that made everyone think they were going to be the next wii-fit trainer. They aren't, they haven't sold a ton of games, and there are more central characters in the series, but none of them are very iconic. Could they happen due to the ballot? Maybe, but in no way, shape or form are they shoe-ins or likely. Heck, a Rhythm Heaven stage makes sense, would work, and seems likely, but its not really done anything to show itself worthy of a character, or least that's my viewpoint

I'd prefer Chorus Kids or Marshal over K.Rool. I... Honestly don't care how "iconic" a character is. ^^;

And it's kind of hypocritical to talk about how Marshal isn't iconic after talking about how Mike Jones could be a character in Smash. :V

• Thumbs Up 7

I'd prefer Chorus Kids or Marshal over K.Rool. I... Honestly don't care how "iconic" a character is. ^^;

And it's kind of hypocritical to talk about how Marshal isn't iconic after talking about how Mike Jones could be a character in Smash. :V

I'd much rather see Cranky as a playable fighter if we're getting another DK rep. Dude can kick so much tail with his bouncing cane. Invent a cool fighting-style for him called "Kong-Fu" and give him that Mr Miyagi type deal where an old man is actually really deadly. Round it off with Dixie and her hair-based combat system for a solid 4 cast representation of the DK franchise. I honestly never saw King K Rool as such an iconic villain.

Then again, I'm not what you'd call a hardcore Donkey Kong fan, so take that as you will.

• Thumbs Up 6

No, facepalm, my entire point is that they aren't the main character of the series, they are a recurring secondary characters, and not necessarily a very high ranking one either. And I'm not saying they can't be in smash, or that they aren't important to certain people, my issue is how they have instantly become the next Mario that has to be in the franchise and is an obvious next Sakurai pick when the only time they have been actually associated with the game was in a single false leak. They are instantly on everybodies 'likely' roster just like say Dixie

• Thumbs Up 1

Now that I think about it, I can see plenty of clone characters making it in as DLC.

Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario only took a small amount of time, and minimal effort to make them they're own characters, and since the DLC doesn't necessarily delay the game, or any other characters due to it again taking little effort, it's no wonder Roy was announced so early.

Not sure who else would be considered a clone at this point, or who else could qualify as one like Lucina and Dark Pit since this is their first Smash outing though. Maybe a less sucky Pichu could work...? 

With the popularity of Hyrule Warriors, I wonder if it's possible for Smash U to get a stage based off that. Cia's Castle perhaps?

Not sure who else would be considered a clone at this point, or who else could qualify as one like Lucina and Dark Pit since this is their first Smash outing though. Maybe a less sucky Pichu could work...? 

>getting rid of the best gimmick

• Thumbs Up 3

Also if we're seriously going down the whole "main character of series" route, there's no reason why Ness should have been favored over Ninten in the original Smash, or why Mr. Game & Watch is a character even though he's a Smash made amalgam of different G&W games that each had "different" protagonists.

I don't think Ness is a good example since the Mother series doesn't really /have/ a main character.

Ness' game just happened to be the most relevant at the time, and Hal labs had worked on it as well.

DK needs a 3rd rep and we need more villains on the roster, so K Rool is the one I'd choose.

I'd rather just have Waluigi. 

This too. If Sakurai can bullshit Captain Falcon and Ice Climbers, he can probably bullshit a character who's only appeared in spinoffs.

If Pichu comes back with its self-harm gimmick, it should be the Notch-Eared Pichu, and replace Thunder with Pain Split.

The true essence of high risk, high reward. Harm itself, then Pain Split to shave off the damage and apply it to the opponent. Imagine the move if Pichu gets the KO first.

I don't think Ness is a good example since the Mother series doesn't really /have/ a main character.

Ness' game just happened to be the most relevant at the time, and Hal labs had worked on it as well.

Neither does Fire Emblem yet we have Marth in 3 of the 4 games.

Marth is a good example of how they tend to handle these kinds of things.

Marth isn't the "main" character of Fire Emblem, but he was the "first" main character of the series. Ness technically isn't the Marth of the Mother series, but he is from the most popular game in the series as it was the only game to actually be localized. As the most well known character in the Eartbound series, he is the logical choice.

We can use this example for future franchises as well. Should we get a character from Golden Sun, a commonly suggested one around here, Isaac is the logical, most likely choice, and naturally he's the most requested. The "Wars" series is another commonly suggested one, but its tricky.

Since Advance Wars are the first games released in the US, one of the main CO's from AW I and II would be the logical choice, most seem to go for Andy since he's the de facto head in Advance Wars, though in Advance Wars II he shares the spotlight equally with Sami and Max, both of whom were also in the prior game. Although, Andy is also the only one of the three totally absent from the store in Dual Strike, with none of them being in Days of Ruin.

Rhythm Heaven is tricky to pinpoint a proper character. People have been arguing that Chorus Kids are the mascots of Rhythm Heaven ever since the Gematsu leak, but they're only in two games. And Rhythm Heaven 3DS isn't even out yet, and is currently only set for a Japanese release.

Its really impossible to argue in any way, but Chorus Kids were pretty much never on anyone's suggestions prior to Gematsu. Meanwhile, after looking back over it (since I never even heard of Rhythm Heaven prior to Gematsu), both the black-haired girl on the boxart in red (who has appeared on the box of every game) and Karate Joe were the only real Rhythm Heaven character suggestions I'd seen.

Karate Joe also has the advantage of being actually in every single game, and with the most overall minigames in general.

Regardless of who could possibly be playable from Rhythm Heaven, I at the very least think we'll get a Rhythm Heaven stage through DLC.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's not what I was trying to point out though.

(and Lucas is also there so, there's that)

As much as I want another character from a series already included in Smash, with the rumor of only the top two choices I'd rather get a character from a series that isn't represented in Smash already. Female Ike sounds cool but I'd rather have Bayonetta, Wonder Red, Rayman, etc get in instead.

As much as I want another character from a series already included in Smash, with the rumor of only the top two choices I'd rather get a character from a series that isn't represented in Smash already. Female Ike sounds cool but I'd rather have Bayonetta, Wonder Red, Rayman, etc get in instead.

We're "supposedly" getting Ryu be happy with that and let me have reps from my favorite franchises already in smash

edit: j/k by the way since the interweb doesnt understand sarcasm through words