Nintendoga

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

In the customs meta, Villager will definitely be up there, especially since Sonic kind of lost the one counter answer to Villager that no other character had after the BSD got nerfed.

I think he'll be up there even in the vanilla meta (If this was a tier list with customs in mind, Palutena would be there between Villager and Yoshi). He can shut down characters and run that timer regardless if he has exploding balloons or the Wobbuffet tree. People just place the blame on EBT and Counter Sapling because they're physical scapegoats.

Falcon is a pretty bold prediction but it's one I can believe because I'm still struggling to see what it is this character can't deal with. It kind of boggles me that people aren't giving him enough attention right now because he's easily the sleeper top tier.

Falcon was pretty much Diddy Lite before the patch, and now that Diddy's overshadowing qualities have been stripped, Falcon has real reason to be used and abused. He's going places.

Quite the jump from being around second worst in Brawl, don't you think?

Can't say there's much wrong with this prediction honestly. It'll probably be around that ballpark, but I feel like Pikachu could be squeezed in there as well, even if the he doesn't have the ledge advantage anymore.

I completely spaced out on Pikachu, lol. No one uses him and so there was no immediate reference in my mind when I made that list. I'd stick him between Sonic and Diddy, the ledge nerf actually hurts a bit.

Now that I think of, replace Yoshi and Ness with the Mario Bros. Their results are not living up to the hype, especially Yoshi's, while the brothers have been placing left and right.

The competitive community is really starting to bitch and moan about customs currently (read: They can't and don't want to adapt to certain moves), especially the Texas scene, so I think the vanilla meta is going to see a resurgence soon. Hence this list.

I was thinking about it more, and if Roy were to come back, I do feel like they'd change him up. I think the only reason Mewtwo and Lucas weren't changed was because they didn't really need to be changed, y'know? It's not like all the other vets were changed dramatically. Bowser and Pit were the only ones off the top of my head that seriously changed (I have terrible memory, I feel like there's one more character who changed a lot).

Since Roy's a clone (much moreso than Lucas, who only shares a few moves with Ness), that would be the reason to change him up quite a bit. I mean, it's still somewhat unlikely, and this is just hypothetically speaking if he were to be playable, but that's just my thinking on it.

Red-Cap and I were joking that if Roy comes back he'd come with his Melee movekit.

Aka the Melee Marth movekit.

Aka the movekit where double Fair and double Nair out of a short hop was a thing and shut down 90% of the cast.

You want reason to use Roy over Marth? There you go, Roy's now the waller.

Red-Cap and I were joking that if Roy comes back he'd come with his Melee movekit.

Aka the Melee Marth movekit.

Aka the movekit where double Fair and double Nair out of a short hop was a thing and shut down 90% of the cast.

You want reason to use Roy over Marth? There you go, Roy's now the waller.

I-I was there too ;-;

Honestly, I don't think those have any bearing the ballot, because you can easily add more slots, however I think that is how many we'll see by E3. Placeholder slots are usually added to the code to show what is currently in development so that they are quicker to add and remove. I heard a theory of Nintendo doing melee/Brawl/Newcomer, and I rather agree that is a likely possibility. Big reason they are doing DLC is a promotion to excite fans, so having multiple to announce increases hype. Same goes with the ballot, its a sign of good faith. However I'm still of the opinion with the Ballot that Nintendo has it running so long because they want to develop several characters based off it as it goes along to keep the hype and fan support going. Did you guys ever think Sakurai said 'we only have the resources to do a small amount of characters' is because they already had their plans and the ballot suggestions were planned from the beginning to be the cherries on top?

Also really don't get Chorus boys/Rhythm Heaven support, I mean the former are a minor subcharacter in a series that lacks a central character and only have any hype because everybody thinks they were going to be in due to a fake leak, that made everyone think they were going to be the next wii-fit trainer. They aren't, they haven't sold a ton of games, and there are more central characters in the series, but none of them are very iconic. Could they happen due to the ballot? Maybe, but in no way, shape or form are they shoe-ins or likely. Heck, a Rhythm Heaven stage makes sense, would work, and seems likely, but its not really done anything to show itself worthy of a character, or least that's my viewpoint

I'd much rather see Cranky as a playable fighter if we're getting another DK rep. Dude can kick so much tail with his bouncing cane. Invent a cool fighting-style for him called "Kong-Fu" and give him that Mr Miyagi type deal where an old man is actually really deadly. Round it off with Dixie and her hair-based combat system for a solid 4 cast representation of the DK franchise. I honestly never saw King K Rool as such an iconic villain.

Then again, I'm not what you'd call a hardcore Donkey Kong fan, so take that as you will.

No, facepalm, my entire point is that they aren't the main character of the series, they are a recurring secondary characters, and not necessarily a very high ranking one either. And I'm not saying they can't be in smash, or that they aren't important to certain people, my issue is how they have instantly become the next Mario that has to be in the franchise and is an obvious next Sakurai pick when the only time they have been actually associated with the game was in a single false leak. They are instantly on everybodies 'likely' roster just like say Dixie

Now that I think about it, I can see plenty of clone characters making it in as DLC.

Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario only took a small amount of time, and minimal effort to make them they're own characters, and since the DLC doesn't necessarily delay the game, or any other characters due to it again taking little effort, it's no wonder Roy was announced so early.

Not sure who else would be considered a clone at this point, or who else could qualify as one like Lucina and Dark Pit since this is their first Smash outing though. Maybe a less sucky Pichu could work...? 

Also if we're seriously going down the whole "main character of series" route, there's no reason why Ness should have been favored over Ninten in the original Smash, or why Mr. Game & Watch is a character even though he's a Smash made amalgam of different G&W games that each had "different" protagonists.

I don't think Ness is a good example since the Mother series doesn't really /have/ a main character.

Ness' game just happened to be the most relevant at the time, and Hal labs had worked on it as well.

DK needs a 3rd rep and we need more villains on the roster, so K Rool is the one I'd choose.

I'd rather just have Waluigi. 

This too. If Sakurai can bullshit Captain Falcon and Ice Climbers, he can probably bullshit a character who's only appeared in spinoffs.

If Pichu comes back with its self-harm gimmick, it should be the Notch-Eared Pichu, and replace Thunder with Pain Split.

The true essence of high risk, high reward. Harm itself, then Pain Split to shave off the damage and apply it to the opponent. Imagine the move if Pichu gets the KO first.

I don't think Ness is a good example since the Mother series doesn't really /have/ a main character.

Ness' game just happened to be the most relevant at the time, and Hal labs had worked on it as well.

Neither does Fire Emblem yet we have Marth in 3 of the 4 games.