Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

So if anybody wants to read the full unbutchered version of that article, here you are, its much more interesting

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/04/23/sakurai-on-dlc-its-all-about-making-players-happy/

Hey there! Masked Man here, bringing you a full translation of Based Sakurai’s latest article in this month’s Famitsu. He talks about DLC in Sm4sh, offering a little insight into how it came to be and what he and the team intend for the future. Enjoy!

Note: In the original article, red is used for emphasis. It was changed to blue to improve readability on the blog.

Famitsu, Vol. 477
“The Creator’s Hands Are Alive and Well!”

In the Users’ Eye section of this magazine, “Sm4sh for 3DS” was the top scoring game of 2014 with an average of 9.58! Personally, I’ve never seen such high marks before, and I would like to thank you for your incredible support.

As I have mentioned in this column, Smash is made up of the incredible hard work and sacrifice of myself and others. I, too, acknowledge, that developing the Smash games is the best way to satisfy the most players worldwide.

And that is precisely why we decided not only to distribute Mewtwo, but to also reintroduce Lucas, the protagonist of Mother 3, as a playable character. In other words, we plan to release premium DLC (downloadable content) for Sm4sh.

These days, the “DLC scam” has become quite the epidemic, charging customers extra money to complete what was essentially an unfinished product. I completely understand how aggravated players must feel. After all, a game should be 100% at the time of release, and I would be livid if it were split up and sold in pieces.

Why, then, do you think so many titles provide premium DLC on or shortly following a game’s release? It’s because that’s the easiest way to make money.

After all, if you wait too long after a game’s release to distribute additional content, players will already move on to the next title. Even long tail titles–that is, ones that perform consistently well over an extended period of time–make more money the earlier they come out.

The same goes for Sm4sh. We could have easily reserved a few characters on the current roster and later sold them as premium DLC. A considerable amount of work went into development, and the game would have already featured a ton of content. Plus, if you were looking to make a profit, DLC would be the way to go. Development is more costly than ever, yet the price of games has remained the same, so more income would help offset that imbalance.

However, the DLC we are releasing for Sm4sh is authentic, developed only after we finished working on the main game. Of course, said content will come to you at a premium as compensation for the work put into developing additional content post-production. Nintendo has the final say on the price, but given the number of man-hours spent on the creation of this DLC, I’d say it’s a great deal.

We originally decided to create Mewtwo on the premise that we would distribute him as a special thanks to users who bought both versions of Sm4sh, but we realized a flaw in our logic. For example, in a family with several children, each child might have their own 3DS but share the same Wii U. If we were to only distribute Mewtwo to those who purchased both versions of the game, only one of the children could play with this new character on his or her 3DS. Thus, we decided to offer Mewtwo as premium content for other users as well.

Moreover, we decided to release other characters as well because part of the fun of Smash is the anticipation: “Which character will join the fray next!?” If we keep distributing content, we can maintain that excitement, and I think that’s a really great thing.

Our team may have shrunk in size, but I’m still just as excited as ever to be pouring my heart and soul into my work every day. Given the different types of content we’re producing, it wouldn’t be surprising for the planning of one item to coincide with the development, balancing, and finalization of several others. We also have version updates, online features, and additional modes to worry about. It can be quite overwhelming, but it’s all about making players happy.

Fighters take an incredible amount of work to develop, so I don’t think we’ll be able to produce that many. Part of me would also love to finish up the project and finally enjoy some rest and relaxation. That said, we’ve already begun development, so I would like to provide as much additional fun and excitement as possible from here on out. We’ll continue working for a little while longer, so please stay tuned!

I was watching BrainScratch's Smash Ballot video and someone mentioned how they need a grass starter to complete the set. That's when I realized that there's a Pokemon missing from the Poke Ball item who would be the perfect fit:

250px-152Chikorita.png

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, yeah, but Chika's not in Smash 4, right? That was the point I was trying to make, besides making a funny. [emoji14]

Edit: Though, to be fair, my joke hinges on info from the Smash Wiki, so... :/

Well, yeah, but Chika's not in Smash 4, right? That was the point I was trying to make, besides making a funny. [emoji14]

Edit: Though, to be fair, my joke hinges on info from the Smash Wiki, so... :/

See this is why we need an item ballot box too, love to see some returning and new item ideas.

>sceptile and not infernape

Athena what's wrong with you

(Sceptile would be awesome actually)

-_-

OBVIOUSLY characters like Goku and Shrek are just going to get thrown out. However, a lot of people are voting for legitimate character options from actual Nintendo games, and some are voting for third-parties that work quite well, too.

Yes, people are going to waste votes on Goku and Shrek. That doesn't mean they'll ever, in any way, be considered. Those ballots will get thrown out. They clearly stated not all characters can be considered, and you can only submit ballots for VIDEO GAME characters. Goku and Shrek are not video game characters, they're manga and cartoon characters, respectively, who had video games made about them.

It would be funny if they did considered Goku just to break some boundaries.

Yeah, I could see them considering Goku in one instance...

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Goku

Dragon Ball has been on Nintendo consoles 41 times over the years. Besides the obvious anime background, it's actually not that far off of a choice. He's as big, if not bigger than most of the current roster choices in Smash.

I'm not sure what Sakurai has said regarding that in the past outside of the fact he'd like to stick to gaming history. Just food for thought.

OH I DIDN'T KNOW INFERNAPE WAS IN GEN III AIDAN

Okay, that was super obnoxious, ilu really

Grain of salt: Was reading a couple YouTube comments, but someone says apparently there was a "leak" with 5 DLC characters, Ryu and Roy was on it and apparently Young Link was there to. The guy didn't say I believe anyone else. Any origin to this rumor?

On a related subject, why can't we get get fake leaks/rumors on stages?:<

Grain of salt: Was reading a couple YouTube comments, but someone says apparently there was a "leak" with 5 DLC characters, Ryu and Roy was on it and apparently Young Link was there to. The guy didn't say I believe anyone else. Any origin to this rumor?

• Thumbs Up 3

I want Isaac to be playable.

What's that? I already said that?

WELL TOO BAD I WANT ISAAC TO BE PLAYABLE

Off topic, but do you guys remember when people kept saying Robin and Miis would never be playable because they're customizable? Those were the days...

• Thumbs Up 5

Come a far way from "Mewtwo is the only DLC, fuck you guys"

I mean, I paraphrased...

I want Isaac to be playable.

What's that? I already said that?

WELL TOO BAD I WANT ISAAC TO BE PLAYABLE

Off topic, but do you guys remember when people kept saying Robin and Miis would never be playable because they're customizable? Those were the days...

Don't worry, I voted for Isaac. I just hope he gets enough votes to be in the game. ;-;

• Thumbs Up 3

Dragon Ball has been on Nintendo consoles 41 times over the years.

...so? The quantity alone hardly makes it identify specifically as a videogame series - there are plenty of other franchises with scores of tie-in shovelware but people would no sooner see it as the Direct-to-DVD equivalent contrasting to the star of the show. And if merely being on Nintendo consoles was worthy of consideration, then that would put all this on the same level as, say, the Raving Rabbids, which has been an annual franchise since 2006 and have so far only missed a Nintendo release on three out of ten occasions. And I don't think anyone here is actually giving a playable Rabbid serious consideration.

As odd as it probably sounds, there's actually a pretty huge distinction between making a lot of games for certain platforms and having real history with the manufacturer. Megaman's NES library is known the world over as vintage classics, and what we got of the X series before the PS1 wasn't far behind. Does anyone even remember any old Dragonball games besides Super Butouden?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just thought I'd let you guys know that the SSMB Community Game Night is on tonight and tonight's game is both Smash 3DS/Wii U. We have hosts for both versions so if you guys want to play, check out the SSMB Game Night thread for details!

These days, the “DLC scam” has become quite the epidemic, charging customers extra money to complete what was essentially an unfinished product. I completely understand how aggravated players must feel. After all, a game should be 100% at the time of release, and I would be livid if it were split up and sold in pieces.

Why, then, do you think so many titles provide premium DLC on or shortly following a game’s release? It’s because that’s the easiest way to make money.

After all, if you wait too long after a game’s release to distribute additional content, players will already move on to the next title. Even long tail titles–that is, ones that perform consistently well over an extended period of time–make more money the earlier they come out.

Moreover, we decided to release other characters as well because part of the fun of Smash is the anticipation: “Which character will join the fray next!?” If we keep distributing content, we can maintain that excitement, and I think that’s a really great thing.

Sakurai on DLC.

Source: http://mynintendonews.com/2015/04/23/super-smash-bros-director-sakurai-calls-dlc-these-days-a-scam/

Well, he's definitely maintaining the excitement. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually agree with Sakurai on this one, I just couldn't word it better.

With that said DLC HYPE! :D

• Thumbs Up 1

There's some sort of event going on in Japan which is pitting a 2 on 2 Japan vs. USA tournament.

Sakurai RT'd the news of it too, it's going down at 12 AM EST...which is about noon-1PM their time correct? Anyway here's what is translated...

[Announcement] weekend 25th, 26, smiling Super Conference 2015 will be held "2-on-2 WORLD GRAND PRIX JPN vs USA". This is the international match against Japan representative and United States representative. Junior Tennis Championships is live here.

am I doing this right

I think I'm doing this right

YOU THOUGHT IT WAS BAYONETTA, BUT IT WAS ME, THE SISTER COMPLEX KINGPIN OF STEEL: YU NARUKAMI!

EDIT: Soniko, your signature give me more and more the creeps.

Edited by Nexthehedgehog