Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

How's your experience teaching family members how to settle it in Smash?

The only other people who play Smash in my household are my 4 yo Brother, and my 9 yo Sister.

My Bro beats my Sis every. single. time. lmao

The coolest thing happened in Smash a couple of days ago.

So my Dad came over to my grandma's house (where I'm staying due to house renovations) and he decided to check on me. I was playing Smash and we eventually started making a Mii of my dad. Then we wanted to play.

I tried to teach him how to play. He got some things down, he has some really good shield reflexes and he actually had fun. I recommended Kirby since he isn't that good at recovering yet and he mains the super tough pink puff now. He just needs to work on his recovery skills and Smash Attacks and I'll say he knows the basics.

How's your experience teaching family members how to settle it in Smash?

I've tried to get my family into Smash, even during the Brawl days. None of them understand it despite me doing my best to explain how to play, lol

My mom refuses to play it. She hates the concept of cute characters like peach and Kirby getting beat up violently and other stuff about the game. Just isn't a fighting person in general haha.

I remember our little bro used to watch me and my slightly-less-little brother play Smash a lot quite some years ago, I'm pretty sure he was less than 10 at the time. One day we went back to Smash 64 on a whim, and we were both pretty surprised when he asked to play too. It was a pretty surreal experience, to be sure - he played Falcon and almost exclusively Falcon Punched, but nobody really wanted to go full pelt in that match because, well, I imagine brutally raping your little brother in a videogame isn't a good way to get them playing more of it. Though I did keep interrupting Falcon Punches with neutral jabs once in a while to tease a little, I couldn't help myself. XD

Nowadays he researches near-tourney level metagame and mains a pretty mean Luigi. It's hard sometimes to imagine I'm even fighting against the same person anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

I made another one :^)))))))) 

You can also use your PK Thunder to hit the other Ness' PK Thunder and cancel it.

It's much less risky

You can also use your PK Thunder to hit the other Ness' PK Thunder and cancel it.

It's much less risky

But my way is more disrespectful :^)

I had two lives on the last one anyways. I've never tried hitting it with my PK Thunder though. I could try that...

And I thought Mac was OP. Sakurai really needs to nerf Lucas. 2 up smashes is insta-kill. knockback is very far, plus the damage everything does.

And I thought Mac was OP. Sakurai really needs to nerf Lucas. 2 up smashes is insta-kill. knockback is very far, plus the damage everything does.

Yes, Lucas' Up Smash is pretty strong, but it's pretty hard to land and it has a lot of endlag. I feel that Lucas is one of the most balanced characters in the game.

If you think Smash 4 Lucas was bad, you should've seen him in Brawl. That same Usmash could hit during endlag, when there's no visible indication it's even still dangerous. At least now you're practically guaranteed to eat a Falcon Punch for it if you miss.

To be honest though that's pretty much the only part of Lucas's moveset that sticks out for me? He already misses out on a lot of Ness's combo ability thanks to instant PK Fire damage, and PK Thunder's lost a lot of its KO potential both in projectile and recovery form. Frankly the ridiculous Usmash feels like a saving grace to me. =V

To be honest though that's pretty much the only part of Lucas's moveset that sticks out for me? He already misses out on a lot of Ness's combo ability thanks to instant PK Fire damage, and PK Thunder's lost a lot of its KO potential both in projectile and recovery form. Frankly the ridiculous Usmash feels like a saving grace to me. =V

I always found that his Rope Snake and Neutral Air set up for much more combos and damage than Ness did with a PK Fire combo (unless it's chained into like 4 other PK fires which REALLY sucks on the receiving end). I also feel like his down tilt is a much better combo starter than Ness' since his attack actually knocks you off of the ground a bit, which makes them susceptible to landing lag, while Ness' only makes them flinch once, and after that, the opponent is free to do an attack that takes higher priority than his down tilt. And there are a lot of moves that take higher priority.

Haven't posted this replay in this thread yet, but I may as well I suppose. This is the reason I love encountering Little Macs when on For Glory.

so I thought you couldnt upload replays longer then 3mins but I just uploaded a video 3mins and 23secs long..... did I break something or is like the start of the match and winning screen a exception?

So I've been thinking about the ballot some more, and personally I believe part of the reason of silence on the internal workings of the ballot is so that they can be more flexible on it. I don't believe there is an exact limit to the number of Sakurai is making, in that it's much like when he's developing the main game: His team manages to make a character quicker than anticipated, or have a personal favorite that they work on during their own time, which results in them deciding more so on an end date than an end amount. I would say 4 is probably the aim, but more is possible. Another reason for the secrecy is freedom. They said after the last characters everything from here on out is fan-service, and that Ryu was the last of the pre-ballot planned characters. Well the code indicates they have 2 characters ingame and working, and those are likely from the ballot. Characters and Stages are different teams, so there's no reason Character development stopped. the Ballot started back in the first of April. The first 2 weeks and the last 1 of any long term event tend to be the strongest. So it's completely possible they chose 2 from the start to begin development, which means it's been about 3 months, and it's to be assumed it takes about 3-5 months to develop 2 characters, possibly less as they streamline.

Personally, I'm expecting 2 more characters before or by the end of the ballot. There is no reason for their not to be in all reality. by the time the ballot ends it will be 6 months since the Ballot started, and 4 Months since the last character. I believe they are still on schedule, and truth be told I doubt Iwata's death has altered that, since Sakurai showed that despite his sadness he wanted to continue working in memory of his friend. Add to that a Smash update video with Sakurai has been done before and can be done again.

Should be interesting to see what happens, but honestly I expect to hear something sooner than later. While I do expect a veteran, I think Newcomers are the focus from here, and I still think it's likely we're getting a NA, EU, JP and Worldwide pick. I also have this kinda feeling that we'll get a newcomer for each, though Wolf will be extra both due to support from the ballot, and the new Star Fox game coming up, and part of the reason they are waiting now is so they can put him in closer to Star Fox Zero's artstyle which would be pretty sick. Here's my thought, you put the ballot out there, what do you really want? old things coming back? or great new ideas and characters from series both new and old? A big part of the ballot is hearing the voice of characters that may have not had a chance otherwise, needless to say I think K.Rool is up there, but so are those from series with little to no rep like Sami from Advance Wars, or Issac from Goldensun. Throw in the fact that out of the 4 dlc characters so far 3 are vets which is a Japanese focus, and only 2 could be called Global, both with heavy Japanese appeal as well, a stream of newcomers seems likely to me.

So yeah, just some thoughts
  • Thumbs Up 1

I definitely think that flexibility is a big part of the secrecy.  For instance, what if there's a clear overall winner... who also happens to be extremely controversial, some kind of joke candidate, or more likely, just plain impossible due to rights issues?  I would also say that, if the poll results were continuously updated publicly, frontrunners would emerge very quickly and fans of more obscure characters would feel disheartened about their prospects, whereas right now despite the hype for characters like K. Rool and Shovel Knight then we really have absolutely no idea what's going to happen, if we're honest.  I think on quite a few levels it's better if we don't know what's going on.

I do think it's fairly likely that the final result of the ballot will be somewhat "rigged," but only to be more interesting.  Regional appeal, diverse series representation, well-known and obscure, ease of licensing...  I think there's a good chance that the characters who eventually get well-made will be in the top ten or twenty, but won't necessarily be the top three or four.  Though I wouldn't be surprised, at this point, if "runners-up" got more Mii Fighters costumes.

• Thumbs Up 2

I also think that at least 4 characters will get made, probably like 3 more too because although the ballot is closing, it doesn't mean that the development of the characters will stop. Even if some characters have high rankings though, the team may still take privilege over who will get in. Especially if one of the characters that places high in the rankings can't work for some reason, like being a joke character, or not having the copyright, or whatever inconvenience that may arrive.

I'm pretty sure K. Rool, Isaac, and maybe Wolf will get in because they're pretty high on all of the ballot surveys I've seen around the web. Other than that, it's open season really. The tide of the ballot could dramatically change in the last few months of the drawing too. We're also unsure if most of these votes are legitimate given that most people voted twice or more than once, and at the time we're unsure if more than one vote is counted.

To be honest though, the secrecy is probably only to keep hype up. Doing it for flexibility seems kind of pointless because people will still feel overjoyed/disheartened if their character gets in/is left out. And we all know how easily leaks slip through the cracks. 

• Thumbs Up 1

So uh, check out who just got Smashified.

isaac_smashified_by_colossalcake-d96gv50

Time lapse video here:

Not even into Golden Sun all that much but this still looks nice nonetheless. Though the visual style of this reminds me more of Brawl's artwork rather than Smash 4's. 

So uh, check out who just got Smashified.

Time lapse video here:

Not even into Golden Sun all that much but this still looks nice nonetheless. Though the visual style of this reminds me more of Brawl's artwork rather than Smash 4's. 

Well, they DID create him by building off of his Assist Trophy model. But yeah, I saw this yesterday, love it and especially the music.

Another rumor, probably fake, though:

http://www.xtralife.es/otros/figura-amiibo-shovel-knight/19515

The problem? It uses Smashified's artwork. Yeah, we've gotten real leaks before through actual sites, but this is ridiculous.

I...actually don't think this is too unlikely?

I mean, Yacht Club did tease that Nintendo owners would get something special and that it's something we might not expect - I think him being in Smash would fit that bill rather nicely. Also, keep in mind how popular Shovel Knight as a character was when the Ballot first popped up in April - I don't think it's too unlikely that they might have chosen him as an early pick.

About the whole "It uses fanmade Smashified artwork" Thing: I don't think that discredits the listing. I can see some Clerk who doesn't know much about Smash see the fanmade amiibo picture and slap it into the listing since it looks close enough to all the official amiibo artworks, or heck, even as a placeholder, but I'm having a hard time imagining someone adding a Shovel Knight listing just for the hell of it or as a mistake. You don't just add random stuff to a website of a store like that without anything backing it up. So yeah: Picture fake? Yeah, obviously. But the listing? I'm not sure.

But yeah, I'm quite curious how everything will turn out. I'm not saying that this will turn out true, but if it did...I wouldn't be that surprised.

Edited by Thigolf

I...actually don't think this is too unlikely?

I mean, Yacht Club did tease that Nintendo owners would get something special and that it's something we might not expect - I think him being in Smash would fit that bill rather nicely. Also, keep in mind how popular Shovel Knight as a character was when the Ballot first popped up in April - I don't think it's too unlikely that they might have chosen him as an early pick.

About the whole "It uses fanmade Smashified artwork" Thing: I don't think that discredits the listing. I can see some Clerk who doesn't know much about Smash see the fanmade amiibo picture and slap it into the listing since it looks close enough to all the official amiibo artworks, but I'm having a hard time imagining someone adding a Shovel Knight listing just for the hell of it or as a mistake. You don't just add random stuff to a website of a store like that without anything backing it up. So yeah: Picture fake? Yeah, obviously. But the listing? I'm not sure.

But yeah, I'm quite curious how everything will turn out. I'm not saying that this will turn out true, but if it did...I wouldn't be that surprised.

We don't even have Amiibo for the already released DLC characters, why would we suddenly get one for a character not even announced? More likely if its real, its a Splatoon thing; its just Shovel Knight himself for the Shovel Knight games and it was listed incorrectly as Smash. That would also fit the bill more accurately as an "unexpected" Nintendo bonus than getting into Smash, due to him being a highly requested character by fans.

If its real, I don't think it actually has anything to do with Smash. (And its notable that other third-parties/Indie's have considered asking Nintendo about getting their characters as Amiibo; Playtonic did the same thing with Nintendo when talking about Amiibo support for Yooka-Laylee.)

Edited by JaidynReiman
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think an amiibo is a big enough surprise, in no way shape or form does that mean a character is getting smash, heck Chibi-Robo, Inkling Squid, and Daisy have amiibos, does that make them a shoein?

I think an amiibo is a big enough surprise, in no way shape or form does that mean a character is getting smash, heck Chibi-Robo, Inkling Squid, and Daisy have amiibos, does that make them a shoein?

Daisy doesn't have an Amiibo, what are you talking about? Toad does have one, though.