Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

On the topic of final smashes, I'd love to see a sort of "tag team final smash," like a sort of final smash done by two players on a team during team matches. Like for example you'd have Mario and Luigi in a team and one of them gets a Smash Ball. Mario would perform his "Mario Finale" Final Smash, while Luigi (being unharmed) could use his Poltergust 3000 to suck up some of the flames and for the time being use his vacuum cleaner like a flamethrower.

That would be cool, but 40 characters * 40 partners = 1600 different individual Final Smashes they'd have to design.

• Thumbs Up 1

>Wolfy

>Wolf

faceWUT.jpg

I bet you like Okami too

Onto the topic of Final Smashes, I was really hoping that everyone would be getting a new final smash. Samus still retaining her old one really disappointed me. Maybe we're getting more than one final smash per character? (unlikely)

The Wolf thing was kinda a coincidence since I've always liked Star Fox and whatnot, XD. I liked how balanced he was with speed and power since the other playable characters from the series in brawl didn't feel like they hit hard enough or something for me, IDK.

And I don't think my Okami love was any secret lawl

• Thumbs Up 2

Interview with Sakurai, talking about developing the game, balancing, patches, the dojo, etc.

Gaf link since interview is french

Snippets from the article

Masahiro Sakurai: While the development of Kid Icarus: Uprising was at its end, Satoru Iwata came me propose to develop the new Smash Bros game, and asked me if he should be on 3DS or Wii U. We were arrived at a point where the series could not evolve too, and we wondered if the passage on handheld console was the solution. In the past, we have increased the number of characters and arenas, but this was not enough.

At that time, we could have chosen to develop a 3DS version only, but we realized the presence of several limitations. I am referring to the fact of playing a game like Super Smash Bros.. on a small screen. Thus, even if it is not easy to develop two versions simultaneously, we chose to adapt the game experience to the specificities of each platform.

Even though the characters will be the same in the version Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, the arena will be completely different. In the 3DS version, they are based on games released on portable consoles, while Wii U, arenas are based on articles on home console games.

On DLC

PN: In all your games, and particularly Smash Bros. and Kid Icarus: Uprising for example, the density of content is very important, sometimes offering up to 100 hours of game play. Why do you integrate as much content in your games? Could this be because you do not really like the DLC [additional downloadable content], and you prefer to enjoy the gaming experience complete at the outset?

Sakurai: Oh, it is not as if I did not like the DLC, it is just that I do not really have the time to think. I'm too busy to work on the game and to include a maximum of content. The goal is to propose a complete and interesting gaming experience for players. In principle, I am not opposed to the DLC. I loved those proposed for the game Fallout 3, for example.

On Music

PN: Music has always held an important place in the Smash Bros games, with a large number of pieces, remix and composers, but for what reason exactly?

Sakurai: I think it is a matter of respect. I have great respect for all these characters, and the experience that people have been playing these games. I believe that music plays an important role in this experience, and so in order to please fans of these games and original series, we need to recreate the same music to match their memories and their expectations.

On Developing

PN: You get very personally involved in play-testing of your games; you test everything in detail: additions, changes, etc... You even play the multiplayer by yourself. Why do you do that? Is it the only way for you to ensure that the game remains on the right track?

Sakurai: I am afraid that the answer to a question like this is so essential to the nature of my work, sometimes I have much trouble finding a suitable response. I can explain it this way: develop a game is much harder than it looks at first glance, seen from the outside.

This is why I believe that the Director should enormously engaging and interested even in the smallest details of a game, each element of gameplay. This is why it would be very difficult for me to develop a game in a different way.

On Patching

PN: Several months ago, in Famitsu magazine, you express the regret of not being able patcher Super Smash Bros.. Brawl, especially at the level of online. But with the Wii U and the 3DS, it is now possible to modify a game after its release. What are the aspects of the new Super Smash Bros. game. which will be the subject of scrutiny, for possible patches?

Sakurai: It is difficult to say at present, but rather obviously, we always try to keep the best balance.........That said, I think the patches are an important tool to maintain the balance of a game, once this last released. As you surely already know, the reputation of some characters, who are considered weak or powerful, is something to which players are very interested on the internet..............

Sakurai: Until now, I am always considered myself personally responsible for specificities of each characters, from the balance at all, so I came to create each attack separately, for each display. But it is a task that I have to share with others this time, so if ensure that the right balance is found for this game.

On Balancing

I does not change the combat system, but rather to take account of the level [of each player]. Mario Kart is often described as the perfect example of the game accessible to players of all levels. The series has its own gameplay mechanics, which reduce the difference in level between the players.

But Smash Bros. is a radically different series from Mario Kart: it must find its own mechanics to provide a similar accessibility level, and thus to propose a neutral playing field to novice players as to the expert players. Nevertheless, it is still a game that requires some experience to master: we simply want to ensure that everyone can have fun with.

On the discussion of the Dojo

Sakurai: This time, we will not share as much info than [for Brawl]. You will have information about the characters via the official website, with images, but we will not always have very detailed info, as in the past.

That's enough quotes for right now.

On terms of customization, he cannot say whether or not the level editor/stickers from Brawl shall be returning.

He has also said that concerning taking requests from character, "I would indeed like account requests from fans. But the phase during which I am collecting this kind of information is already complete, and we are currently integrating this content to the game." aka he's pretty much almost done picking out the characters of the game.

Oh I lied. One more quote concerning....PSASBR???

PN: What level of customization will be proposed in the game? In the past, players have always had access to a large number of options, including at the level of the items. Are you going to propose new, as for example the ability to disable the damage caused by the stages?

Sakurai: You can still manage the appearance of items, but you cannot disable the damage caused by the stages. If we propose such an option, it might as well be PlayStation all-stars!

Mature reaction: Understandable. I suppose some people would have liked the option to do so but oh well.

Immature reaction: Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmnnnn!

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't mind that at all, sides if we could disable damage in stages it would probably ruin some of the things that make certain ones unique.

Wow, that jab at PSASBR was completely uncalled for, but he's right, I guess. Removing the damage done by hazards for levels would be a nice option, but it would probably remove what made some of the levels fun in the first place.

Sakuari is taking potshots at the inferior clone of his legacy. Not sure to call it out for being uncalled for or to feel a personal immature sense of satisfaction.

Anyway, to be serious I'm kinda disappointed that stage hazard on/off switching is confirmed not there as I thought that was something actually cool about Playstation Smash Bros but oh well I can live without it. 

Edited by Chaos Warp

As  long as there aren't super gimmick heavy stages like the Wario Ware,PictoChat or Pirate Ship ones, I'm good with this option not being present.

Edited by Schnitzel

I didn't really read it as a jab or a potshot, just him making the comparison and saying he disliked that specific idea. Not that he has any real reason to.

There's nothing really wrong with having an option to disable level hazards. It's no different from disabling items. Competitive play bans stages with ridiculous stage hazards anyway, so that would just open up the ability to play more stages in that environment.

Edited by Chooch

Do people take issue with the environment hazards in Smash? It's not like there's a shortage of stages that have none.

• Thumbs Up 5

Do people take issue with the environment hazards in Smash? It's not like there's a shortage of stages that have none.

There's a shortage of those stages in Brawl.................

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 2

The ire towards stage hazards is mainly coming from the competitive community, but I do tend to avoid certain stages myself for similar reasons. Everyone's different, man.

I don't see the issue with having an option and I think it's kind of silly for Sakurai to dismiss it on the grounds of things being too similar to PlayStation All-Stars.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 1

I actually didn't play Brawl all that much so I'm not familiar with its entire arena roster. Still, Sakurai has suggested that he's improving on several things that people found problematic about Brawl. We might see a return to past games' design that had fair amounts of stages that were gimmicky and harmless.

I also don't think that having an option to disable gimmicks would work on every stage that has them. How would stages like the F-Zero ones from Melee work?

I actually didn't play Brawl all that much so I'm not familiar with its entire arena roster. Still, Sakurai has suggested that he's improving on several things that people found problematic about Brawl. We might see a return to past games' design that had fair amounts of stages that were gimmicky and harmless.

I also don't think that having an option to disable gimmicks would work on every stage that has them. How would stages like the F-Zero ones from Melee work?

I do hope so. I thought that Melee had better stage design then Brawl: I hope he goes back to that.

as you can tell, Melee is my favorite.

Now, I know stage hazards can be annoying.

But Wario Ware is stage hazards done right.  They made a goddamn game out of it, and it was awesome.

75m can go die.

• Thumbs Up 9

Now, I know stage hazards can be annoying.

But Wario Ware is stage hazards done right.  They made a goddamn game out of it, and it was awesome.

75m can go die.

Mario Bros can go die too.

At that time, we could have chosen to develop a 3DS version only, but we realized the presence of several limitations. I am referring to the fact of playing a game like Super Smash Bros.. on a small screen. Thus, even if it is not easy to develop two versions simultaneously, we chose to adapt the game experience to the specificities of each platform.

I- what? A 3DS version only? Why would they even consider such madness? This series is a big fucking system seller and I just can't believe they would have even for a moment thought of developing it on the 3DS only. It's good that they decided against it, but it sounds like it's for the wrong reasons. "limitations" like having a smaller screen? How about the fact that by doing it they'd piss off a massive portion of the fanbase, lose a ton of fucking revenue, and knock a very important game off the struggling Wii U? Just how could they have thought, even for just one minute that this is a good idea? This is madness, and I'm so glad they averted that shitstorm.

Edited by Frogging101
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mario Bros can go die too.

75m can go die.

No.

Wacky stage shenanigans are what give levels their identity. I guess if y'all really wanted to play on a hazard free stage an option to turn dat shit off would be kinda nice, but they already have Final Destination and Battlefield for people who like to keep it boring.

• Thumbs Up 4

I- what? A 3DS version only? Why would they even consider such madness? This series is a big fucking system seller and I just can't believe they would have even for a moment thought of developing it on the 3DS only. It's good that they decided against it, but it sounds like it's for the wrong reasons. "limitations" like having a smaller screen? How about the fact that by doing it they'd piss off a massive portion of the fanbase, lose a ton of fucking revenue, and knock a very important game off the struggling Wii U? Just how could they have thought, even for just one minute that this is a good idea? This is madness, and I'm so glad they averted that shitstorm.

To be fair, he's just saying that they COULD have (which is true, even if it would have been a bad idea). I'm sure it didn't take them long before they decided against it.

To be fair, he's just saying that they COULD have (which is true, even if it would have been a bad idea). I'm sure it didn't take them long before they decided against it.
And they COULD have cut Mario from the roster and replaced him with Duke Nukem, but it's so riduculously out-there that they didn't need to even mention it.

I honestly forgot Mario Bros. was a stage.

I only remember the shitty Brawl stages

so pretty much all but a few of them

Edit: Smash being 3DS only certainly would've pissed people off, but I doubt it would be a massive failure because of it. Even though multiplayer is a big focus, they could still pull it off by giving the game great online like Uprising or MK7. Sure it wouldn't feel the same playing Smash on the small screen as opposed to the big screen, but I don't think it would've been awful by any means. Sales shouldn't be an issue considering 3DS has over 30 million units sold currently, and Smash is a very popular series. People will buy Smash whether it's on a handheld or not, it's the series some people buy consoles for. (I bought a Wii for Brawl and Galaxy)

3DS version is looking fine as it is. And hey, if they did go through with that idea, you know they'd probably make another Smash Bros for the Wii-U somewhere down the line.

Edited by Nintendoga

No.

Wacky stage shenanigans are what give levels their identity. I guess if y'all really wanted to play on a hazard free stage an option to turn dat shit off would be kinda nice, but they already have Final Destination and Battlefield for people who like to keep it boring.

I don't mind stages with interesting gimmicks, but those (and some others like Hanenbow) were too difficult to actually fight on.

Smashville, Bridge of Eldin,Halberd, Deflino plaza and Shadow Moses were the only stages I found entertaining in Brawl.(Oh and that Yoshi one.)

Rumble Falls can go burn. Along with most of the sidescrolling or gimmick heavy stages.

Actually, I'm just gonna list the ones I like.

Castle Siege, Smashville,Battlefield,Final Destination,Delflino Plaza,Luigi's mansion,Mario Circuit,Bridge of eldin,Norfair,Frigate Orpheon,Yoshi's Island,Halberd,Lylat Cruise,and Shadow moses.

The other ones...bleh.

Edited by Schnitzel