Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

So...

Real Leak or... Nintendo just don't know how to program websites? 

EDIT: After navigating trough Nintendo France website, Shovel Knight is nowhere to be seen on the amiibo listing. Is this also happening over in the U.S.?

The whole U.S site seem to have change since it doesn't list all the amiibos who work with Smash 

http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/games/detail/HPp-wrUaZHOKvK_GzCJ9eDkIom6x_TEA

Might be looking at the wrong place though

So a former NoA employee knows who the new smash DLC character is http://mynintendonews.com/2015/10/11/former-noa-employee-hints-he-knows-who-next-smash-bros-dlc-character-is/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• This character is a newcomer.
  • This character is popular, but may not be the #1 character on the ballot.
  • This character would make a lot of buzz in social media.
  • This character is a first-party character.
  • This character’s inclusion shouldn’t be a surprise.
  • Although one of the guys promptly deleted the tweet, the character is not Wolf, Shovel Knight, or Shantae.
  • Apparently it’s a Newcomer + New Stage combo according to Stealth.

So...

Real Leak or... Nintendo just don't know how to program websites? 

EDIT: After navigating trough Nintendo France website, Shovel Knight is nowhere to be seen on the amiibo listing. Is this also happening over in the U.S.?

Zss isnt compatible wit duck tales so...

Part of me actually thinks of Isaac when I read this article but the Inklings actually really fit that description perfectly as well. Plus an Inkopolis stage in Smash Bros would be the most bitchin thing so I'd be completely fine if that was the case

A member on NeoGAF posted an analysis based off of the information teased:

So just to recap on what we know so far -

Roger over at Roger's Base, a person who is seemingly known to have sources within NoA, tweeted about learning some really exciting Nintendo news that he's not allowed to come out with. However, within some closer circle of his it seems like the news spread a little bit, and at least Stealth (another person who has had industry sources in the past) and Zef (a Smash scener) have seemingly found out about the news from him. It should be noted that those two are the only ones who explicitly mentioned it to be Smash news and that Roger hasn't mentioned anything about it being Smash (also pointing out that he doesn't know anything of the Smash Ballot's outcome). That said, a tweet aimed at Shofu did hint at another "Japan Time" going down. Zef also made the point that this information ain't likely to leak unless the source comes clear with it, as there was nothing recovered from the last patch to suggest that the character is hidden away like Roy/Ryu. Warchamp7 (SmashBoards admin) also seems to think Zef as a trustworthy source since he acknowledged the mills they were spinning. Either way, all signs point to this being some kind of Smash news and that it has to do with a Nintendo newcomer who is likely to cause a lot of buzz despite not necessarily being the most voted for.

"So why do we assume it's Splatoon?"

The game is evidently poised for another major update soon as the person who has been datamining the game for a while is expecting a major update to hit in mid-October, and that might have to do with Octolings being playable in the game. That said, with the Smash rumors now circulating, they seem to be convinced that this is going to result in a major Splatoon Direct that details the news and reveals them as a playable character for Smash. Again, this is speculation, but what it boils down to is basically a truckload of "where there's smoke, there's fire". With the Inklings meeting all the checkboxes that the tweets mention it seems like something bigger might be in store. GameXplain also raised the point that Nintendo don't really have much of a holiday schedule at all so it'd make a lot of sense to leverage their existing products (Smash, Splatoon) with a lot of DLC going into the holidays.

I don't know where that leaves the Shovel Knight rumor personally. I could make the assumption that if he is in he'll be slated as one of the "ballot newcomers" maybe later next year. It seems somewhat reasonable that he might still exist in some form (especially considering how passive Yacht have been in regards to talking about the ballot compared to WayForward who wouldn't shut the fuck up about it and begged people even in Kickstarter e-mails to vote for Shantae) but that if that would ever be true, it would still be ways off. I'm personally indifferent about the veracity of that rumor though.

Incidentally as I'm writing this, Smash is scheduled for another online maintenance tomorrow. Presumably something to do with that 1.1.2. Diddy patch.

This is all a rumor though, so there's a chance this isn't true.

Personally, I think it's likely K.Rool, Isaac or Inklings, but I actually think Inklings are less likely, both since their game didn't release until after the ballot, and they really seem like next game reveal material, especially since the current limitations could hinder their potential greatly. They'd be cool, but I'm really hoping we get a couple characters that were essentially saved/propelled by the ballot instead of simply reinforced by it

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally, I think it's likely K.Rool, Isaac or Inklings, but I actually think Inklings are less likely, both since their game didn't release until after the ballot, and they really seem like next game reveal material, especially since the current limitations could hinder their potential greatly. They'd be cool, but I'm really hoping we get a couple characters that were essentially saved/propelled by the ballot instead of simply reinforced by it

Just because it released after the ballot doesn't mean it couldn't get full representation. The game was announced a year back and Sakurai's Team should had known the game even farther back then that. The Inklings having an inclusion would work because that'd generate a lot of buzz, especially in Japan. Stuff like King K. Rool were made into costumes (since King K. Rool would honestly not fit too well as a full fighter) and I really think some ballot favorites have very little of a shot even getting some representation. Just because a ton of people voted for something doesn't mean it's guaranteed to appear, the dev team will implement characters they feel would best fit and if people have support for it.

Then again, we don't know much so idk

• Thumbs Up 1

• This character is a newcomer.
  • This character is popular, but may not be the #1 character on the ballot.
  • This character would make a lot of buzz in social media.
  • This character is a first-party character.
  • This character’s inclusion shouldn’t be a surprise.
  • Although one of the guys promptly deleted the tweet, the character is not Wolf, Shovel Knight, or Shantae.
  • Apparently it’s a Newcomer + New Stage combo according to Stealth.

Since they said that it was a popular character, but wasn't number one, I immediately thought about Isaac. But the fact that it was a first party character makes me think it's K. Rool since Wolf, Shovel Knight or Shantae. So yeah it probably is the Inklings. Don't really remember them being popular in the ballot, but it seems plausible. 

Just because it released after the ballot doesn't mean it couldn't get full representation. The game was announced a year back and Sakurai's Team should had known the game even farther back then that. The Inklings having an inclusion would work because that'd generate a lot of buzz, especially in Japan. Stuff like King K. Rool were made into costumes (since King K. Rool would honestly not fit too well as a full fighter) and I really think some ballot favorites have very little of a shot even getting some representation. Just because a ton of people voted for something doesn't mean it's guaranteed to appear, the dev team will implement characters they feel would best fit and if people have support for it.

Then again, we don't know much so idk

Stuff like King K. Rool were made into costumes (since King K. Rool would honestly not fit too well as a full fighter)

since King K. Rool would honestly not fit too well as a full fighter

Do you know nothing? K.Rool has 4 starring villain roles, each with a different persona that could be a full fighter of their own, not to mention put together into a full moveset, heck K.Rool with the Blunderbuss alone is a full moveset. Also the costume is likely pre-ballot, and has no bearing on whether a character can be playable or not, unlike assist trophies. We have quite a good number of supporters here all who will tell you that is an incorrect statement, but hey if you want a quick look at moveset potential, go here: http://smashboards.com/threads/k-rools-kremling-kutthroats-awaiting-news-from-nintendo-calls-tyranny-before-tomorrow.324259/  K.Rool has an Excess of potential

Also, I in no way said the Inklings couldn't be DLC, just that they were less likely to be the first ballot dlc, and in many ways don't need to be since the success of their game has essentially guaranteed them a starting slot in Smash 5's roster, and that may be a better place for their introduction since the 3DS will limit any sort of ink effect which will likely be very intensive to be accurate. Heck they'd be cool. No reason to diss one of the most heavily fan supported characters of the ballot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Do you know nothing? K.Rool has 4 starring villain roles, each with a different persona that could be a full fighter of their own, not to mention put together into a full moveset, heck K.Rool with the Blunderbuss alone is a full moveset. Also the costume is likely pre-ballot, and has no bearing on whether a character can be playable or not, unlike assist trophies. We have quite a good number of supporters here all who will tell you that is an incorrect statement, but hey if you want a quick look at moveset potential, go here: http://smashboards.com/threads/k-rools-kremling-kutthroats-awaiting-news-from-nintendo-calls-tyranny-before-tomorrow.324259/  K.Rool has an Excess of potential

Also, I in no way said the Inklings couldn't be DLC, just that they were less likely to be the first ballot dlc, and in many ways don't need to be since the success of their game has essentially guaranteed them a starting slot in Smash 5's roster, and that may be a better place for their introduction since the 3DS will limit any sort of ink effect which will likely be very intensive to be accurate. Heck they'd be cool. No reason to diss one of the most heavily fan supported characters of the ballot.

I kinda just don't see it. I don't think Sakurai and his team would want to put King K. Rool in the game. You can come up with a moveset for any character (try making a Garfield moveset for a fake appearance in Smash. Wouldn't be that difficult, huh?). Depends though, I'm not too sure.

Smash 5 will probably not come out for a few more years, so I don't see why Nintendo can't capitalize on the Inklings' appearance in this current Smash while Splatoon's still at it's prime.

• Thumbs Up 1

tbh I don't think debating about which character is more feasible will really rear any results. It isn't like someone is going to go back and change their ballot entry because it probably doesn't count of the multitude of reasons one of your favorite characters should get in.

They don't need to be super popular to work, look at Ness in Smash 64. 
They don't need moveset potential, look at Captain Falcon. 
They don't need to be entirely unique, look at Roy and Lucas.

All they need is the fan support and that sets them, so it's really unnecessary to run someone into the ground because they don't agree with you on why someone should get in. :/

Only time will tell who'll get in, and if your fav doesn't get in then the fan demand wasn't big enough, that's pretty much it.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think the Inklings are the most likely due to popularity, and the fact that their game came out just after the ballot started is an incredibly weak reason to say they're unlikely. Splatoon is new and fresh right now, I would think Nintendo would want to capitalize on that now rather than relegate them to a sequel that isn't even in the planning stages yet when they may not be as interesting. K. Rool is another possibility, but as popular with fans as he might be, he is not a particularly relevant character right now. I think he always has a shot either for the ballot for this game down the line or an eventual Smash 5, but I see him as a lower priority right now because his inclusion doesn't promote anything not already represented.

Of course, both of these got Mii Fighter costumes, so who knows. And I really don't know if either of them would generate a ton of social media buzz, but I really don't follow those trends.

In any case, I voted for Elma from Xenoblade X.

Some people are always iffy on Splatoon representation in Smash because "it's a brand new thing, it's only one game, imagine them against all these classic characters???" but it'd honestly be awesome if you ask me, plus the Wii Fit Trainer and Shulk are in here, sharing the same trait of only being from one game (it's hard to count Wii Fit Plus and U since only the original really has any material taken from it outside of that trophy of the U trainer design) and there's no issue.

Splatoon is new and fresh (ha.....ha.....) like others have said and there's a lot to draw inspiration from when it comes to representing the game in Smash Bros, plus giving it even more exposure is exactly what Nintendo needs for a brand new IP they're really trying to go all out on. If it's the Inklings (and especially if they get a stage too) I'd be perfectly happy, even if I didn't really think to vote for them in the ballot.

Edited by 2spinny4u

Sakurai doesn't think about the next Smash game when developing for the current one. Any arguments about "saving them for the next one" don't make any sense. They're not thinking about the next one. They're thinking about what they could do for this one.

I also don't get why people keep pointing to their ink like you could even make that work properly in the context of Smash. They'll probably just be a projectile based fighter. 

Edited by Wraith

Some people are always iffy on Splatoon representation in Smash because "it's a brand new thing, it's only one game, imagine them against all these classic characters???" but it'd honestly be awesome if you ask me, plus the Wii Fit Trainer and Shulk are in here, sharing the same trait of only being from one game (it's hard to count Wii Fit Plus and U since only the original really has any material taken from it outside of that trophy of the U trainer design) and there's no issue.

Splatoon is new and fresh (ha.....ha.....) like others have said and there's a lot to draw inspiration from when it comes to representing the game in Smash Bros, plus giving it even more exposure is exactly what Nintendo needs for a brand new IP they're really trying to go all out on. If it's the Inklings (and especially if they get a stage too) I'd be perfectly happy, even if I didn't really think to vote for them in the ballot.

What really bugging me in this, is that, are the Inklings will really work in Smash? I mean, they use Ink as munitions for their weapons, and one of the main gimmicks in Splatoon is the Ink spreading onto the stages; will the smash 4 engine be capable of handling something that is not programed on it in the first place? Will you be able to spray ink all over the place at Windy Hill Zone, for exemple?

What really bugging me in this, is that, are the Inklings will really work in Smash? I mean, they use Ink as munitions for their weapons, and one of the main gimmicks in Splatoon is the Ink spreading onto the stages; will the smash 4 engine be capable of handling something that is not programed on it in the first place? Will you be able to spray ink all over the place at Windy Hill Zone, for exemple?

Probably just gonna do a megaman and just let their ink to damage.

By the way, @SeanHicksArt posted something yesterday on Twitter as well (he's part of the @Smashified team):

tbf, Ryu seemed like next game material and he still got in. So I would f use that as justification for why they couldn't. also is the 3DS always drawback for you or something? Cause you only bring it up when you're arguing why something couldn't happen.:/ I mean hey if K.rool gets in great for you, but it looks like you dismiss in some form every other choice brought up from the ballot.

My main concern at the moment is whether or not this alleged newcomer will count as one of the ballot-pushed choices, or (hopefully) be one of the cases that wasn't designated by the ballot.

My main concern at the moment is whether or not this alleged newcomer will count as one of the ballot-pushed choices, or (hopefully) be one of the cases that wasn't designated by the ballot.

It's specified that they aren't ballot characters.

Both Stealth and SeanHicksArt has stated its not related to the ballot (Stealth says he "thinks" its not), but it could easily mean they don't think its a ballot character because they were started long before the ballot ended. The problem with this notion is they could've easily been picked from early ballot data.

EDIT: Even then, what's wrong with it being a character picked from the ballot?

Edited by JaidynReiman

also is the 3DS always drawback for you or something? Cause you only bring it up when you're arguing why something couldn't happen.:/ 

I've asked  him this to him multiple times and have giving up since I never got a valid response. Anything and everything of a character or feature not present is because of the 3DS version.

Just to say, if a character being "too new" was ever an issue for Smash Bros we wouldn't have Roy.  He was put into Melee to draw attention to a yet-to-be-released game.  Let's also not forget how Smash 4 itself has a stage based off Wolly World, which didn't come out/isn't coming out for months (even a year in the US?) after Smash.

Really hoping it's Inklings, if only coz I can't think of any other 1st party Nintendo characters I'd want.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 6