Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

I guess im one of the few who liked the majority of Brawl's stages then? lol

The only one I didn't like were the 8-Bit ones and the scrolling ones, I found the rest to be fine.

Edited by Soniman

I'm hoping they make the online like Mario Kart 7 with various lobbies for No items, competitive, All stages, etc. That way I'll stay away from the folks who repetitively play the hazardless/boring stages over and over again.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just me talking about my stage experience. I like playing playing on Final Destination and Battlefield as much as he next guy, but playing on stages with no extra hazards most of the time grows pretty tedious for me quickly. I use to go to a gaming club on campus where most of the group play brawl competitively. And as much fun as it was to make their tier list heads explodes when I beat them with my Yoshi -- I eventually stop coming when all everyone wanted to play on was Battlefield, FD, Battlefield, FD and so on... Occasionally Smashville. Cool if they like that, but that's not me.

When it comes to stages I'll play on almost anything really. Hazard heavy, scrolling, dipping, spinning, sight-seeing terrtain changing, fighting on vehicles... I like playing those level because they make things feel more exhilarating for me; worrying about more than just the opponent in a match. I'd pick the crap out of Halberd, Castle Siege, The Summit, Port Town Aero Dive, 75m, Rumble Falls, Shadow Moses, Distant Planet, Warioware, Spear Pillar, Flat Zone 2, Yoshi's Island in Brawl. In Melee, I like Brinstar, Big Blue, Brinstar Depths, Poke Floats, Temple, Rainbow Cruise -- *sigh* You get the message. I like to mix it up.

Now there are some stages that rub me the wrong way though. In Brawl, I hated New Pork City. Not so much of the Ultimate Chimera, but the fact the stage was just so damn big. Kongo Jungle in Melee, because those Klap Traps were out to kill me. (I know it really doesn't work that way. Still, didn't like it. My friends got a kid out of it, though.) Didn't like neither Hanenbow or Icicle Mountain neither... Mostly because they just bored me.Don't know why, I just never felt into it on those stages.

Edited by 21 + 21 = YoshiUnity
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just me talking about my stage experience. I like playing playing on Final Destination and Battlefield as much as he next guy, but playing on stages with no extra hazards most of the time grows pretty tedious for me quickly. I use to go to a gaming club on campus where most of the group play brawl competitively. And as much fun as it was to make their tier list heads explodes when I beat them with my Yoshi -- I eventually stop coming when all everyone wanted to play on was Battlefield, FD, Battlefield, FD and so on... Occasionally Smashville. Cool if they like that, but that's not me.

When it comes to stages I'll play on almost anything really. Hazard heavy, scrolling, dipping, spinning, sight-seeing terrtain changing, fighting on vehicles... I like playing those level because they make things feel more exhilarating for me; worrying about more than just the opponent in a match. I'd pick the crap out of Halberd, Castle Siege, The Summit, Port Town Aero Dive, 75m, Rumble Falls, Shadow Moses, Distant Planet, Warioware, Spear Pillar, Flat Zone 2, Yoshi's Island in Brawl. In Melee, I like Brinstar, Big Blue, Brinstar Depths, Poke Floats, Temple, Rainbow Cruise -- *sigh* You get the message. I like to mix it up.

Now there are some stages that rub me the wrong way though. In Brawl, I hated New Pork City. Not so much of the Ultimate Chimera, but the fact the stage was just so damn big. Kongo Jungle in Melee, because those Klap Traps were out to kill me. (I know it really doesn't work that way. Still, didn't like it. My friends got a kid out of it, though.) Didn't like neither Hanenbow or Icicle Mountain neither... Mostly because they just bored me.Don't know why, I just never felt into it on those stages.

Yoshi's Island in Brawl barely had gimmicks though, just those 2 platforms and the Shy Guys to hit. I really liked that stage actually.

Brawl definitely had too many stages with gimmicks. Even from the small amount we've seen from SSB4's stages, you can kinda tell they'll be toning it down a bit.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Yoshi's Island in Brawl barely had gimmicks though, just those 2 platforms and the Shy Guys to hit. I really liked that stage actually.

I was pointing out that I like to mix stages up and play on almost any one of them. Gimmicks or not. The lesser to non-gimmicky stages are fine with me just as much as the ones packed with them.

Edited by 21 + 21 = YoshiUnity

Like YoshiUnity, I have very much enjoyed the variety of play that stage gimmicks have offered. One moment you'll be fighting in a hectic four-on-four battle in Final Destination, the next in a desperate attempt to survive in Mario Bros, then everything and anything between from the craziness of WarioWare Inc. to the more forgiving Shadow Moses. The trouble with stages like New Pork City, Hanenbow and Icicle Mountain is that you can spend a lot of time separated from the other players, which is why I tend to enjoy those less. Not that I don't love some of the more expansive ones though. Hyrule: Temple is one my favourite stages in the series.

Granted I hated the likes of Mario Bros. at first, and the Game and Watch level is barely playable at times, but I grew to love the former because I love the batshit zaniness of it all. I'm not all that into competitive play though, so I suppose it would matter to me more if I was (perhaps if online improved that would change). A more competitive friend of mine often asks to play me one-on-one on Battlefield with no items on. It's fun the first time, sure, but for me nothing beats a messy fight full of items sandwiched into a hazardous level between four panicking individuals. =P I do prefer Brawl's speed over Melee's, as I think it works better with all of this crazy shit going on. A happy medium would be better for both speed and gimmicks though, so hopefully they'll achieve that.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really wish Kirby could get some representation from the KDL2/KDL3/Kirby64 trio, but since Sakurai didn't make those games it's pretty unlikely. Of course,Kirby's  Wii-U stage will probably be from Return to Dream Land which Sakurai had nothing to do with. Still, I think he deliberately never references those games because they don't fit his vision of Kirby. The only reference to those games, I think, is the 02 boss music in Brawl.

I'd also love to see Waluigi in this game but I find it unlikely they'd add another Mario character at this point. 

The stages in Brawl were atrocious. The 8-bit ones were barely even playable, Hanenbow was annoying to navigate during a fight. The scrolling stages, especially Rumble Falls... horrid. Spear Pillar features an exciting battle against... the level, rather than the other players.

WarioWare would have been a good level but they ruined it with those dumb powerups when you beat the minigame. How is it fair if you each get different ones? Two people win the game, one person gets invincibility, one gets a mushroom that does nothing but make him/her a larger target.

I think we can all agree we hate the Mario Bros. Stage,

Other than that, I'm for all stages, all day everyday.

I hardly ever played on the Mario Bros. stage. But yea, half the fun of brawl is the entry hazards and I know they can be annoying but the game would pretty boring without them.

I really wish Kirby could get some representation from the KDL2/KDL3/Kirby64 trio, but since Sakurai didn't make those games it's pretty unlikely. Of course,Kirby's  Wii-U stage will probably be from Return to Dream Land which Sakurai had nothing to do with. Still, I think he deliberately never references those games because they don't fit his vision of Kirby. The only reference to those games, I think, is the 02 boss music in Brawl.

I'd also love to see Waluigi in this game but I find it unlikely they'd add another Mario character at this point. 

Wait, sakurai wasn't involved in return to dreamland? That was probably the best kirby game i've ever played.

Wait, sakurai wasn't involved in return to dreamland? That was probably the best kirby game i've ever played.

Nope, he was still working on Kid Icarus: Uprising at the time.

Nope, he was still working on Kid Icarus: Uprising at the time.

Huh, guess I learn something everyday.

Well, all that being said, what stages do you guys want to see in the game?  I'd really like to see a Mario Galaxy environment where the arena takes you to different planets each with different properties and hazards.  Also a Rhythm Heaven level where hazards and events happen in tandem with the BGM.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just want the stage editor to return- especially if they improved it. If they do, I plan on re-creating my insanely unbalanced levels and setting every this.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's pretty close minded :/

It's a NINTENDO game about NINTENDO franchises, there were no 3rd parties in Melee, Sonic was in Brawl due to fan demand and Snake was due to begging from his company. Sakurai doesn't have to include ANY 3rd party characters at all considering its for NINTENDO IPs. I wouldn't be surprised if Sonic isn't in it, but it'd be a welcome surprise if he is

No it isn't close minded at all. There is no way Sonic would be left out of the newest game. He was the most anticipated character in Brawl, remember? And in light of SEGA's partnership with Nintendo, I don't see why Tails is out of the question. But if there can only be one character slot, then why not have them fight together? They could be like the Ice Climbers, but better!

Or they could make Tails an Assist Trophy. That would also be fine. Just as long as he's more than just a background object!

I'd love to have more freedom with the Level Select. 

The ability to turn blocks and platforms(360 degree turning),More platforms/footing, the ability to put water and certain gimmicks from other stages(like Wispy or a starpost)and Less Limits.

It would also be great if you could take pictures of certain things/use pictures on your SD card/flash drive to use as textures for your custom stage.

• Thumbs Up 3

One thing I really hate about talking about Smash on sites like this is the obnoxious ideal that some people have that Nintendo has to pander to Sonic fans as much, if not moreso, as fans of their own franchises. I mean really, I can understand if you're excited for the guy's inclusion, but you should really reconsider your investment in the games if the Sonic stuff is all that's keeping you around :/

• Thumbs Up 5

It might be that they enjoy the gameplay but aren't so interested in Nintendo characters. I don't really have a lot of nostalgia for any of them besides Pokemon myself, so Sonic's inclusion made the hype so much greater for me last time. That said, it didn't stop me buying Melee and it certainly wouldn't stop me buying this one. It's just that I can see where people are coming from.

I don't think that Sonic is a shoe-in though, or that he definitely should be in it. I'd absolutely love him to be, but at the end of the day he isn't a Nintendo character. It could well be that Brawl was his one-off appearance and this time around we'll have only new third party characters.

Sakurai hasn't worked on a Kirby game since Air Ride, so any mentions of games released afterward are automatically references of games he wasn't involved in.

Well of course, but it's not like the newer games have been referenced either(outside of music). It's all Green Greens and Kirby Super Star related stuff, mostly. That's understandable though, those are the most iconic Kirby things to include. I'm not even sure the newer games have anything worth including in SSB with the exception of Return to Dream Land. I liked Squeak Squad and Amazing Mirror but what could come from them? I'm kind of a Kirby fanboy though, it's my second favorite platformer series. So, bring on the Kirby...

The only Nintendo franchises I really care about are Mario, Kirby and Donkey Kong Country...but I can still appreciate the other franchises I don't follow. I like Captain Falcon, the Pokemon and others because of Smash Bros...even if I've never played their games.

Patch Land from Epic Yarn would make for an amazing stage. I'd be surprised if it got no representation at all in Smash 4.

• Thumbs Up 4

Patch Land from Epic Yarn would make for an amazing stage. I'd be surprised if it got no representation at all in Smash 4.

I'd love to see Epic Yarn get represented somehow.  Hell, I'd love to see Prince Fluff as a character.  Yarn-based attacks would be tons of fun in Smash.