Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

You would think that by now, we'd have realized -there is no pattern to character announcements-, there is no equal representation- franchise-wise (Mario has a full row of characters, while DK only has two reps and F-Zero will forever have one seemingly), company-wise (Capcom has 2 reps now, while no other third party does), or even gender/species-wise (a majority of the cast is Male, though Smash 4 did introduce a lot of females compared to before, most of the cast is Human too).

I'd say this extends to amount of vets/newcomers, too. The original 12 will most likely always be here, because they've been in 4 games. But we've had characters dropped, and sometimes they've come back. Most likely no Smash game will have a definitive roster- even this game, with it having the biggest, best roster yet (56 characters and counting, with the three Mii fighters counted separately anyways), is still missing characters in people's eyes- people will always want more.

Something else to consider: I think Cloud -is- one of the three roster slots we had in the data, which means he might come out with two characters besides him. We will get what we get in the end though, and regardless if it's what we expect or what we want, it's what we have to accept because it's what we're getting. I am always ready to be either pleasantly surprised, like with Cloud, or disappointed like with Duck Hunt (I do not care for the character at all).

Honestly though, it kinda proves my point when people are unable to accept a roster for what it is- because in previous Smash games, the initial roster is all we got. This is the first time we've had "Initial+Bonus", and the urge to have basically every dream character under the sun is insatiable for people. Obviously, you can never please everyone- someone will always be disappointed with a character's inclusion, just as someone will always be disappointed with a character's exclusion.

I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing, but I do think expecting too much and hoping for specific things with so much certainty has a higher chance of you ending up disappointed than pleased with the final result.

• Thumbs Up 1

recently added information to his Wiki page, using information from the FFWiki summarizing his roles in both On the Way to a Smile and FFVII -Advent Children Complete-

I sware if I see an insane out of nowhere character like Goku show up I'll:

A) Agree that Sakurai has lost his marbles and is just creating a MUGEN fangame at this point and...

B} Max out all my bank cards to buy a Wii-U, Smash Bros, and all DLC that very day.

I don't think it'll happen; Sakurai even gave his opinion on Goku (and Spongebob) in Smash, in which he laughed and just called it absurd.

Despite Goku's history in video games, he's still just an anime/manga character in video games based on the popular franchise he's from. Pretty much almost anything popular can get video games based off it, but they're secondary (or even tertiary) to the original source, whether it be a TV show or comic. Now, if Dragon Ball started off as a video game series and spawned comic book and TV adaptations it would be a different story, but it's not the case.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, I got an honest open question to ask, I know there are a lot of varying opinions on the character, but you guys really see any actual obstacles to K.Rool being in smash? Please put aside preference and character bias in general when answering. This if for fans and for people who don't like and in-between. Because putting my personal fan support aside, I don't see any real obstacles. In fact he seems likely looking at all the facts, though admittedly no-one is assured until they are announced.

You know, I got an honest open question to ask, I know there are a lot of varying opinions on the character, but you guys really see any actual obstacles to K.Rool being in smash? Please put aside preference and character bias in general when answering. This if for fans and for people who don't like and in-between. Because putting my personal fan support aside, I don't see any real obstacles. In fact he seems likely looking at all the facts, though admittedly no-one is assured until they are announced.

If you had asked me this a couple of months ago, I would have said he's likely to be DLC or something going by the ballot, but with how DLC is going...I'm not sure if he'll make the cut. The trend with DLC seems to be veterans and HUGE, HUGE characters like Ryu and Cloud. Characters people are gaurnteed to buy, essentially. They're making sure the game stays in the public eye by making these huge, attention grabbing characters and cheap to make veterans that everyone is guaranteed to like.

I think they might actually be saving Nintendo characters like Inkling, K Rool, and Isaac that might not necessarily have a huge impact as DLC but would do wonders for advertising their various franchises to be at the forefront of advertising for the next edition of Smash Bros where they would be garunteed exposure. The ballot did say it would be used for not just Smash 4, but the games after it. They have to be keeping some characters in mind for the future, right?

So, yeah, in my honest opinion, K Rool will show up in Smash 5. Maybe not as DLC, but I think by Smash 5 he'll be in. People just shouldn't ge their hopes up for DLC, since that's the perfect platform for some really "out there" characters to show up, and I think they're going to be taking advantage of that.

But really there's no reading Sakurai. This is just what I'm thinking right now.

Edited by Wraith
  • Thumbs Up 6

Honestly, you're reasoning is solid Wraith, but the one counter point is that the DLC seems to be going for whoever is going make an impact, rather than saving for the next one, I mean Cloud and Ryu for Smash 5 would have blown the Megaman reveal out of the water. There's also the fact we have to get at least 1 Nintendo Newcomer, if not more. But yeah you never can predict Sakurai. And who would be eligible for actual Nintendo Newcomers if thy were going to save them all? that's not only regards to K.Rool, but to the Inklings as well.

Honestly, you're reasoning is solid Wraith, but the one counter point is that the DLC seems to be going for whoever is going make an impact, rather than saving for the next one, I mean Cloud and Ryu for Smash 5 would have blown the Megaman reveal out of the water. There's also the fact we have to get at least 1 Nintendo Newcomer, if not more. But yeah you never can predict Sakurai. And who would be eligible for actual Nintendo Newcomers if thy were going to save them all? that's not only regards to K.Rool, but to the Inklings as well.

I don't think a Nintendo newcomer is something that's guaranteed for DLC. I think a lot of people need to realize that nothing's set in stone. I'm just going off of what's already here. People got really mad over the K Rool costume, but I think that was their way of saying "we hear you." for the time being. 

I say Cloud and Ryu are good choices for DLC because they're guaranteed to get attention. Sure, they could have been in the base game, but spreading the bombs out only makes more sense than releasing them all together.  Not to mention them being DLC gets all the time they need for them to get rights and shit together for some characters. They're not as pressed for time anymore as they are during the development period where they were balancing 49 characters at once and waiting around for deals to go through for them to start working on a new addition could make things get messy pretty fast.

It also makes sense to grab third parties while you can. Unlike characters that are directly in your control, who knows what's going to happen to them in the future? Nobody expected Konami to go batshit and for Snake to suddenly become less and less likely to star in not just Smash Bros, but any game at all period, but that's what's happening with him right now, poor guy. Take the chance while the offer is there, I say. 

But once again, I usually don't like getting too deep into speculation since we usually end up being wrong anyway once the team comes out and reveals what they've been working on. It's fun to think about, but I can't stress enough that we don't know what's happening inside the dev teams head. I get tired of people flipping their shit once news comes out and things didn't go the way people wanted it to.

• Thumbs Up 3

To be honest, Nintendo newcomers feel like something that shouldn't be DLC, but free updates, but eh.  My only unbiased critique to K.Rool is that he hasn't been around in a long time, and if he continues to not be around, there'd be little reason to add him to Smash 5.

He can't be compared to Duck Hunt in terms of "bringing back old characters", because Duck Hunt IS the game he comes from, they're repping a franchise that has no rep prior to that character etc.  Donkey Kong already has his place in Smash, they need only add more to that franchise if what is being added is relevant.

I.e. Bringing back Pit for Brawl, cool.  Palutena existed before Uprising, why didn't they bring her back too?  Because she wasn't relevant until Uprising reboosted her importance in the franchise, thus qualifying her for Smash 4.

• Thumbs Up 4

K Rool just doesn't seem like a character that would generate much hype. I'm aware he has his fans, but he's a character who hasn't really been relevant in years (especially with Retro's well-received DKC games not including the Kremlings) and he's not the heaviest of hitters from a nostalgia perspective either. Considering the DLC characters thus far have been beloved veterans and big 3rd party characters, "the crocodile from the old DK games" doesn't sound like it'd crack open people's wallets the same way.

Except the biggest complaint of those games is that they lack an iconic villain. and it's only been 7 Years, He was still the prominent villain in the Handheld games(Jungle Climber and King of Swing), and spinoffs(Barrel Blast being the last back in around '07 if I recall) with the exclusion of Donkey Konga. Also every game (except the lands) he has been in is currently available on the wii-u. Heck every main game he was in was critically acclaimed, and he actually has a massive nostaglia factor in Japan of all places due in good part to the Donkey Kong Country Cartoon which was huuugggeee over there(as in trading cards, action figures and multiple plushes for him alone). Also there's another factor people tend to overlook: A Smash Character has 2 things of import, their appearance/fanbase, and a innovative moveset. His moveset potential could sell him as much as the character himself. Both of the current newcomers have had unique gimmicks, and K.Rool definitely brings that to the table. Also, he's not merely "The Crocodile from the old DK games" he's "DK's Bowser", that's even said in Smash, and a trailer could do a lot to sell him on that perspective combined with a unique playstyle.

Going back to non-video game-originated characters, I could see an exception possibly being made if a character was extremely important to gaming (and Nintendo) despite not first appearing in a game. I...can't really think of any examples, but I'm speaking hypothetically here in the first place so whatevs.

Going back to non-video game-originated characters, I could see an exception possibly being made if a character was extremely important to gaming (and Nintendo) despite not first appearing in a game. I...can't really think of any examples, but I'm speaking hypothetically here in the first place so whatevs.

Well, actually something like that did almost happen, James Bond was seriously considered for Melee.

But I think time has changed, that was just the second game where they were just starting off and really didn't have all the rules down opposed to technical 5th game we're at now.

But I could be wrong, who knows.

I do hope we get some songs from the TV show if Jibanyan gets in.

• Thumbs Up 1

Except...

I've heard all the arguments before, Mando (well except for the cartoon being big in Japan, that's...weird), they just don't convince me. Maybe this is my bias of not being a huge DK fan and not rolling in any DK-fan-heavy communities, but I've just never seen people care about him, outside some grumbling about not being in Retro's games and some support for him in Smash.

• Thumbs Up 5

Oh, and BTW, there is one major Japanese Third Party left that doesn't have a rep in Smash that has great relations with Nintendo and that'd be Tecmo-Koei, I mean heck, they made a Major Zelda spinoff(actually now that I think about it, they made the first Console Zelda spinoff for that matter). Though, admittedly the only Rep who'd be big enough, and related enough to Nintendo would be Ryu Habasu from Ninja Gaiden, who admittedly would be interesting as an arcade/NES primary rep, although his most recent game was on wii-u as well... on second thought he makes more sense than Snake did, he's iconic enough(being the classic stealth character), and he's probably on a similar level to the other Ryu, maybe a touch closer. He'd definitely isn't the first one to come into mind, and would be a surprise, he does make sense, and if Snake who's from a modern perspective is a primary M rated series nowaday could make it in, and he could be put in without compromising the character, especially if they went for a classic inspired version since the iconic Nintendo related one is the NES version

A bit late to this discussion, but the way I see it, Cloud and Ryu were Sakurai's big picks that were made based on his intuition and little to no fan demand basically because no one would think that they'd ever be in the game at all. By that logic, K Rool, and the other Ballot frontrunners very much still stand a chance of getting in since Roy, Lucas, and Mewtwo were all made based on their demand. They aren't iconic video game characters, but they're fan favorites, and they certainly weren't guaranteed to sell like the mind blowing reveal of Ryu and Cloud by far. If there aren't anymore surprise characters coming in like those two, then yeah, I'd assume that the Ballot votes for the Inkling, Wolf, K. Rool, Snake etc etc would be the next made characters.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, and BTW, there is one major Japanese Third Party left that doesn't have a rep in Smash that has great relations with Nintendo and that'd be Tecmo-Koei, I mean heck, they made a Major Zelda spinoff(actually now that I think about it, they made the first Console Zelda spinoff for that matter). Though, admittedly the only Rep who'd be big enough, and related enough to Nintendo would be Ryu Habasu from Ninja Gaiden, who admittedly would be interesting as an arcade/NES primary rep, although his most recent game was on wii-u as well... on second thought he makes more sense than Snake did, he's iconic enough(being the classic stealth character), and he's probably on a similar level to the other Ryu, maybe a touch closer. He'd definitely isn't the first one to come into mind, and would be a surprise, he does make sense, and if Snake who's from a modern perspective is a primary M rated series nowaday could make it in, and he could be put in without compromising the character, especially if they went for a classic inspired version since the iconic Nintendo related one is the NES version

Tecmo-Koei has already a representation in Smash 4 in form of trophies representing characters from the Project-Zero franchise.

But i would like seeing some Hyrule Warriors rep.. Lana or Linkle anyone?

Tecmo-Koei has already a representation in Smash 4 in form of trophies representing characters from the Project-Zero franchise.

But i would like seeing some Hyrule Warriors rep.. Lana or Linkle anyone?

If we got a "Hyrule Warriors rep" it'd be Impa, and even that's a huge stretch.

I wonder if the special broadcast has anything to do with something from Brawl returning in Smash 4. The Brawl theme was playing during that part and the colors of the letters were the same as Tabuu's.

I can't believe Tabuu is going to be playable in Smash 4

Wolf and Snake being released alongside Cloud would be great.

But it would prove impossible for Snake due to the kerfluffle involving Konami and Kojima

If we got a "Hyrule Warriors rep" it'd be Impa, and even that's a huge stretch.

I'd think they would be more likely to pick a character exclusive to Hyrule Warriors(which is probably honestly about to become a sub franchise considering how successful the first game was) then they would Impa.

• Thumbs Up 1

But it would prove impossible for Snake due to the kerfluffle involving Konami and Kojima

I don't think so. Konami owns Metal Gear, so I don't think Kojima matters here, unless Sakurai doesn't want to do it for his friend.