Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

A bit late to this discussion, but the way I see it, Cloud and Ryu were Sakurai's big picks that were made based on his intuition and little to no fan demand basically because no one would think that they'd ever be in the game at all. By that logic, K Rool, and the other Ballot frontrunners very much still stand a chance of getting in since Roy, Lucas, and Mewtwo were all made based on their demand. They aren't iconic video game characters, but they're fan favorites, and they certainly weren't guaranteed to sell like the mind blowing reveal of Ryu and Cloud by far. If there aren't anymore surprise characters coming in like those two, then yeah, I'd assume that the Ballot votes for the Inkling, Wolf, K. Rool, Snake etc etc would be the next made characters.

Again, veterans are cheaper characters.  Lucas reuses animations and voice clips from brawl and his specials were programmed into the game already. Same with Roy, who was clearly based off of Marth's model and moveset.

• Thumbs Up 1

If we got a "Hyrule Warriors rep" it'd be Impa, and even that's a huge stretch.

Theeeeeeeeeeey'd probably go for one of the original characters from HW, so probably Lana above all others.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guys.

One Winged Angel.

In a Smash game.

*clutches heart*

Speaking of music you think we'll only get VII songs or will we get a few from other FF games?

• Thumbs Up 6

Theeeeeeeeeeey'd probably go for one of the original characters from HW, so probably Lana above all others.

No they wouldn't, because we'd never get an HW character to begin with. We're never going to see those characters outside of Hyrule Warriors, and we're never going to see the Impa version of HW anyway. I was only making a stupid comment, because simply put, we won't get HW content out of those games. Look at other Nintendo spinoffs and tell me they would.

We never see Mario & Luigi characters outside of those games. We never see Paper Mario characters outside of those games. We'll never see Geno ever again.

These kinds of spinoffs simply never get recognition, and we don't even know who owns the HW exclusive characters to begin with.

The max we'll get, if that, are trophies from HW in Smash. Again, IF that.

Again, veterans are cheaper characters.  Lucas reuses animations and voice clips from brawl and his specials were programmed into the game already. Same with Roy, who was clearly based off of Marth's model and moveset.

I mean yeah but, people still wanted them back and that's the reason for their inclusion. Otherwise, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Pichu, and the rest of the veterans would be in the game as well. They aren't though because Roy, Lucas, and Mewtwo all had a backing that the rest didn't (it's debatable for Snake and Wolf, but for the rest this is most certainly the case).

I wouldn't mind if one of the battle tracks from the 13 games got in. Those are actually pretty good. Or a remix of one of the classic battle themes. But we'll likely just get 7 tracks.

Veteran or no, people still wanted them back and that's the reason for their inclusion. Otherwise, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Pichu, and the rest of the veterans would be in the game as well. They aren't though because Roy, Lucas, and Mewtwo all had a backing that the rest didn't (it's debatable for Snake and Wolf, but for the rest this is most certainly the case).

Well yeah, it's a combination of those things. Not one or the other. They picked the in demand ones, but it helped them loads that they're cheap characters to make. I doubt we would have as many DLC characters otherwise. 

• Thumbs Up 2

No they wouldn't, because we'd never get an HW character to begin with. We're never going to see those characters outside of Hyrule Warriors, and we're never going to see the Impa version of HW anyway. I was only making a stupid comment, because simply put, we won't get HW content out of those games. Look at other Nintendo spinoffs and tell me they would.

We never see Mario & Luigi characters outside of those games. We never see Paper Mario characters outside of those games. We'll never see Geno ever again.

These kinds of spinoffs simply never get recognition, and we don't even know who owns the HW exclusive characters to begin with.

and look at that, fan request for Paper Mario is still a thing, so I don't see why requesting that is usually acceptable, but any HW request apparently needs to be shot down. Oh and paper Mario got a stage so yeah.:/

and given  who's getting in the game, I don't see why people are still creating arbitrary rules and walls for who can and can't get in outside obvious ones.

Edited by Michael Munroe
  • Thumbs Up 3

We did get a Paper Mario stage, though.

Not saying a HW character is likely but they aren't completely ignoring spin-offs. We just haven't had a spin-off exclusive character yet. Considering all the other crazy picks Sakurai put in I wouldn't be surprised if one day we DID get a character from Paper Mario or Hyrule Warriors.

• Thumbs Up 2

giphy.gif

Let us never talk about hypothetical situations ever again.

• Thumbs Up 2

We did get a Paper Mario stage, though.

Not saying a HW character is likely but they aren't completely ignoring spin-offs. We just haven't had a spin-off exclusive character yet. Considering all the other crazy picks Sakurai put in I wouldn't be surprised if one day we DID get a character from Paper Mario or Hyrule Warriors.

Its not just spinoffs but how Zelda works in general. The highest requested Zelda characters all got in as Assist Trophies. Why? Because they've barely appeared in the series at all. They've had a major appearance in one game, and that's it.

If we get a Tecmo Koei character (and honestly I didn't think they were all that big anyway), we'd probably get someone from Fatal Frame. Nintendo co-owns the franchise anyway.

Oh yeah Geno had a cameo in Mario & Luigi BTW.

I'm just sayin', we have trophies, stages, items and other references to spin-off games. A character doesn't seem as unlikely as you think.

I mean, Cloud's never had a main game on a Nintendo system at all. Only spin-offs.

*sees latest reply* Mhm, but we're talking about a joint production between Nintendo and Tecmo Koei. If anything that makes it more likely for a HW character to get in compared to how Zelda works normally, since KT would probably have a say in it.

Sorry, I just really like Lana. XP She'd be the only Zelda newcomer I'd want if we were to hypothetically get one.

• Thumbs Up 2

I honestly think that if a Koie-Tecmo (you got it reversed, Jaidyn) rep got in, it would absolutely be Ryu Habusa from Ninja Gaiden. Not only does him having Nintendo roots help (even if it's not a requirement), he has a legacy and popularity. People associate brutally hard gameplay with Ninja Gaiden, people generally know who he is even if it's just as "that one ninja in those hard games". Plus, he could be an interesting mix of a ninja fighting style (similar to Sheik and Greninja) and sword character. Plus, he's kind of the face of KT as a company- whenever a third party has been in, it's been their most iconic, recognizable characters with significant importance/history, at least for that company. People immediately associate Capcom with either Megaman or Ryu, Sonic with SEGA, Pac Man with Namco-Bandai, Snake with Konami, and Cloud is widely recognized as the face of Square Enix, being the main character of one of their most popular games ever, and being one of the most iconic Final Fantasy characters because of it.

But I wouldn't put my bets on it or anything, it just seems -way- more likely than them wanting to include a character from a spinoff series they're working on, to me at least.

• Thumbs Up 3

I honestly think that if a Koie-Tecmo (you got it reversed, Jaidyn) rep got in, it would absolutely be Ryu Habusa from Ninja Gaiden. Not only does him having Nintendo roots help (even if it's not a requirement), he has a legacy and popularity. People associate brutally hard gameplay with Ninja Gaiden, people generally know who he is even if it's just as "that one ninja in those hard games". Plus, he could be an interesting mix of a ninja fighting style (similar to Sheik and Greninja) and sword character. Plus, he's kind of the face of KT as a company- whenever a third party has been in, it's been their most iconic, recognizable characters with significant importance/history, at least for that company. People immediately associate Capcom with either Megaman or Ryu, Sonic with SEGA, Pac Man with Namco-Bandai, Snake with Konami, and Cloud is widely recognized as the face of Square Enix, being the main character of one of their most popular games ever, and being one of the most iconic Final Fantasy characters because of it.

But I wouldn't put my bets on it or anything, it just seems -way- more likely than them wanting to include a character from a spinoff series they're working on, to me at least.

I don't know much about Koei's other properties. I have heard about Ryu Habusa, didn't know he was Koei Tecmo (god its so confusing, some say Tecmo Koei others Koei Tecmo :P). Yeah if we think realistically, he'd be the prime candidate. Fatal Frame is a Nintendo IP, so that'd be first-party anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, Put my thoughts on the matter into heavy detail

Oh, and BTW, there is one major Japanese Third Party left that doesn't have a rep in Smash that has great relations with Nintendo and that'd be Tecmo-Koei, I mean heck, they made a Major Zelda spinoff(actually now that I think about it, they made the first Console Zelda spinoff for that matter). Though, admittedly the only Rep who'd be big enough, and related enough to Nintendo would be Ryu Habasu from Ninja Gaiden, who admittedly would be interesting as an arcade/NES primary rep, although his most recent game was on wii-u as well... on second thought he makes more sense than Snake did, he's iconic enough(being the classic stealth character), and he's probably on a similar level to the other Ryu, maybe a touch closer. He'd definitely isn't the first one to come into mind, and would be a surprise, he does make sense, and if Snake who's from a modern perspective is a primary M rated series nowaday could make it in, and he could be put in without compromising the character, especially if they went for a classic inspired version since the iconic Nintendo related one is the NES version

Also Ryu is essentially the face of both Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive(of which the 3DS got an exclusive compilation of the first 4 games, that even had a Metroid stage in game), I'd say T-K is one of Nintendo's closest third parties at the moment, and Ryu essentially fills the final NES rep gap left. Essentially he'd bring everything to the table that Simon would(old school icon, considered one of the greatest NES games of all time, games are renowned for their difficulty), except he's still relevant, and still has a pretty decent relationship with Nintendo. He's kinda black horse, probably due to his modern DOA association, but he is K-T's mascot, and I'm pretty sure he's in Megaman range at least due to NA/DOA sales  He also has the honor of having the first NES game with cinematics in the game

I would say he's the last 'obvious' pick left, outside of a Konami rep

Man, since you both called him "Habusa" instead of "Hayabusa", I was very unsure for a moment there.

Yeah, Put my thoughts on the matter into heavy detail

Also Ryu is essentially the face of both Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive(of which the 3DS got an exclusive compilation of the first 4 games, that even had a Metroid stage in game), I'd say T-K is one of Nintendo's closest third parties at the moment, and Ryu essentially fills the final NES rep gap left. Essentially he'd bring everything to the table that Simon would(old school icon, considered one of the greatest NES games of all time, games are renowned for their difficulty), except he's still relevant, and still has a pretty decent relationship with Nintendo. He's kinda black horse, probably due to his modern DOA association, but he is K-T's mascot, and I'm pretty sure he's in Megaman range at least due to NA/DOA sales  He also has the honor of having the first NES game with cinematics in the game

I would say he's the last 'obvious' pick left, outside of a Konami rep

Not that music, he wouldn't. Or the fighting style. Also, Simon Belmont has had a game more recently than Ryu and I'd say he's more famous.

Man, since you both called him "Habusa" instead of "Hayabusa", I was very unsure for a moment there.

Not that music, he wouldn't. Or the fighting style. Also, Simon Belmont has had a game more recently than Ryu and I'd say he's more famous.

Sorry, mainly know him as that T-K Ninja Ryu, I was going be vocal rather than actual spelling. And I meant in iconic NES rep from a great but notoriously hard series. Fact is both deserve to be in, and in an ideal world we'd get both, but K-T has a way stronger relationship with Nintendo at the moment, and Konami's gone off the deep end combined with the shadow of Snake being a major roadblock for Simon. Ryu has the advantage of being sellable on the fact that he is THE original major Video Game Ninja, and everyone loves Ninja's, and we lack a classic Ninja. I'd say it's simply a matter of time and development cost

I'm not good with remembering Japanese names, I guess. :V But yeah, Ryu Hayabusa is a pretty recognizable character and basically is the KT mascot, so I figure they'd pick him over anyone else.

Also: While it would be cool if we could have Snake come back or have some other notable Konami rep, like Simon Belmont, I think at this point it's unlikely just because of how much it seems like Konami just doesn't care about gaming in general anymore. Right now that company is kind of a mess. It's not just Kojima/Metal Gear having problems... pretty much the only thing gaming related Konami seems concerned with right now is Pachinko machines..

• Thumbs Up 3

Hey guys, I just found this on Smash Boards.

CT1O6hXUwAAhCQv.jpg

Someone found a release date for Cloud that has since been taken down. I don't want to believe this yet, but he did have a picture. So, what do you all think of this?

CT1O6hXUwAAhCQv.jpg

Someone found a release date for Cloud that has since been taken down. I don't want to believe this yet, but he did have a picture. So, what do you all think of this?

Easy to fake, but not unlikely date wise, it

s gotta happen in the first 2 weeks of december, and the day before VGA would be hype

• Thumbs Up 2

CT1O6hXUwAAhCQv.jpg

I have hopes! But I agree with Mando, this would be very easy to fake.

I have hopes! But I agree with Mando, this would be very easy to fake.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was fake myself. Like Mando said, though, this isn't unlikely.

I think the day of the VGA is iffy. I can totally see Cloud being released on that day because its a way to try and get people who would watch the VGA to get into Smash and want to buy the game. They could even consider revealing another character there before the Smash Direct.

...but the Smash Direct is pretty much guaranteed not to happen that day, and its far more likely for Cloud to be released the day of the Smash Direct, along with other characters. So I'm inclined to think its probably fake. I think the Smash Direct will be 9th or 10th personally.