Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

I've been debating on getting Smash Bros for my 3DS. I already have it for the Wii U, but I wouldn't mind playing it on the go.

I'm not amazing at the 3DS version (I have the demo), but I know there's different stages and stuff on that version. Also if I get it, I think I get some DLC free, isn't that right?

What do you all think I should do? I know it's up to me in the end, but I need some opinions. c:

It's good if you wanna play Smash on the go, and Smash Run is addictive as hell. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Pretty much what Felix said, it's Smash on the go, and despite it being on a handheld, the core gameplay is still usually a solid 60 frames per second on local play, and it has some good single player content like Smash Run which is like the Subspace Emissary from Brawl in terms of you running around and beating up enemies, but it's actually more interesting since it includes alot more enemies from actual Nintendo franchises than Brawl's SSE did, and the goal is to beat them up and collect as many stat-enhancing items as possible in 5 minutes in a maze-like area, and then square off against the other opponents in a randomly selected match or even a unique stage to Smash Run and either run to the goal or reach the highest vertical distance in a tower.

As far as free DLC goes, I'm not sure there is any at this point. Back when Smash 4 was just released, if you registrated both the Wii U and 3DS versions on Nintendo's Club Nintendo website section before a certain date, you'd get the Mewtwo character for free. Though the stages and characters don't cost much anyway.  Smash on 3DS is pretty handy if you're on the bus to school frequently or in another venue where people are likely to be playing on handheld games, since Smash is still pretty popular, and it's easy to set up a room.

Hope this manages to give you a good enough idea of wether it's worthy to purchase Smash 4 on the 3DS or not.

Oh yeah and one advantage 3DS has over the Wii U version: No nametag-changing possible on the character select screen so your opponents can't pester you with insulting messages when you win from them on online.

• Thumbs Up 2

You know I would love if the direct was Thursday or Friday this week. especially since I have those days off this week.

Also, here's an interesting hypothetical thought, if we got somewhere from 4-6 new characters, what if we got another Monolith Soft rep either in conjunction with SE or NB? Since we've got a modern rep, but up until now getting one of their more historical reps like Chrono from Chrono trigger, or someone from Xenogears or Xenosaga was unlikely

Thank you both very much for your input! c:

Pretty much what Felix said, it's Smash on the go, and despite it being on a handheld, the core gameplay is still usually a solid 60 frames per second on local play, and it has some good single player content like Smash Run which is like the Subspace Emissary from Brawl in terms of you running around and beating up enemies, but it's actually more interesting since it includes alot more enemies from actual Nintendo franchises than Brawl's SSE did, and the goal is to beat them up and collect as many stat-enhancing items as possible in 5 minutes in a maze-like area, and then square off against the other opponents in a randomly selected match or even a unique stage to Smash Run and either run to the goal or reach the highest vertical distance in a tower.

As great as the praise I've heard about Smash Run, I've also heard people say it was the worst part of the game? But it doesn't make sense as to why that would be said if it's similar to Subspace Emissary? It really is that run though?

As far as free DLC goes, I'm not sure there is any at this point. Back when Smash 4 was just released, if you registrated both the Wii U and 3DS versions on Nintendo's Club Nintendo website section before a certain date, you'd get the Mewtwo character for free. Though the stages and characters don't cost much anyway.  Smash on 3DS is pretty handy if you're on the bus to school frequently or in another venue where people are likely to be playing on handheld games, since Smash is still pretty popular, and it's easy to set up a room.

I haven't ever actually taken a look at the prices for DLC, hopefully they're pretty inexpensive!

Hope this manages to give you a good enough idea of wether it's worthy to purchase Smash 4 on the 3DS or not.

Oh yeah and one advantage 3DS has over the Wii U version: No nametag-changing possible on the character select screen so your opponents can't pester you with insulting messages when you win from them on online. 

Haha, that's very good to hear. I've received a few cheap shot one liners from time to time while playing online.

But how does the online play? I get horrible lag when I play online with the Wii U, but then again, it could be from my internet? 

There is free DLC for the 3DS version in that we got the Wii U Duck Hunt stage as part of an update when the Super Mario Maker stage was released.

HggSLOq.png

Revised my tier list again because I like doing these things.

R.O.B., Peach and Pac are above the Pits, and Greninja is in B tier now. Olimar made more sense at top of C, same for Link at top of D. I also don't know what I was thinking previously putting Bowser Jr. in E tier.

HggSLOq.png

R.O.B., Peach and Pac are above the Pits, and Greninja is in B tier now. Olimar made more sense at top of C, same for Link at top of D. I also don't know what I was thinking previously putting Bowser Jr. in E tier.

Why is Samus still so high? Why are Charizard and Mac in D?

There is free DLC for the 3DS version in that we got the Wii U Duck Hunt stage as part of an update when the Super Mario Maker stage was released.

I'd say that probably wasn't hard to pull over to the 3DS.

HggSLOq.png

I don't blame you, it seems fun!

But I have to ask, is this like a grading scale for how you play characters? Or your views on them in general?

I'd say that probably wasn't hard to pull over to the 3DS.

But I have to ask, is this like a grading scale for how you play characters? Or your views on them in general?

it acutally fits very well. There isnt much going on in the background so it isnt too taxing on the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tier lists are a grading scale for how good a character is, in this example, Felix thinks Sheik is the best character in the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

HggSLOq.png

Little Mac and Charizard need to go down like 5/6 places and Samus should be in F. No way she's that much better than Bowser and Duck Hunt (they're both better than she is IMO).

And how come Sonic isn't in front of Mario and Fox? Those two are good but Sonic's proven himself to be ridiculous in the right hands, and he doesn't have as many losing matchups as they do.

Edited by Red Cap

Why is Samus still so high? Why are Charizard and Mac in D?

Mac and Zard are still pretty damn high for where they are, there's no reason for them to be higher considering they're not very relevant in this game at the moment, though Mac did get top 5 at a major last month so there is that...

People who still think Samus is bottom 5 make me lol. She has a lot of good tools, and many players have shown she's still viable if played optimally (like ESAM, the best Pikachu player in the world. Hell we even have Depth here in Central Florida, who commonly takes top spots at monthlies.) She still has notable issues and it's consistently viable at top level, but she's nowhere near garbage. She has the best zair in the game, a true combo off dthrow or dash attack that can rack up to 41 damage, a great recovery, and Charge Shot is genuinely a great projectile that can determine the pace of the match. She also has two ways to break full shields due to methods like bomb -> Charge Shot or Super Missile -> Charge Shot. Down air is one of the best spikes in the game, and bair is great for spacing and KOing when it's sweetspotted. 

So why is she not viable at top level? Even if she's a heavyweight, she's floaty, so she's prone to vertical finishers. And she's obviously bad in close-quarters combat, but that's been her design standpoint in every game so it's something we'll have to deal with. And her hitboxes are still a problem, like on fsmash, usmash and jab. It's not even like her issues can't be fixed, all she needs right now is damage/knockback buffs to moves like dtilt, dsmash and Super Missile and general hitbox fixes and she's a solid mid-tier.

Little Mac and Charizard need to go down like 5/6 places and Samus should be in F. No way she's that much better than Bowser and Duck Hunt (they're both better than she is IMO).

And how come Sonic isn't in front of Mario and Fox? Those two are good but Sonic's proven himself to be ridiculous in the right hands, and he doesn't have as many losing matchups as they do.

Mario doesn't outright get bodied in any matchup, the worst he gets at any character is a slight disadvantage, unless maybe Rosalina. Sonic still gets beat by characters like Pikachu, and even Ike is a decent countepick to him depending on the stage.

I can understand putting Sonic over Fox, tho.

Edited by Felix

Mac and Zard are still pretty damn high for where they are, there's no reason for them to be higher considering they're not very relevant in this game at the moment, though Mac did get top 5 at a major last month so there is that...

He wasn't saying that they should be higher, he was saying they should be lower (and they should, when is the last time you saw Charizard in Top 32 at any major event?)

Mario doesn't outright get bodied in any matchup, the worst he gets at any character is a slight disadvantage, unless maybe Rosalina. Sonic still gets beat by characters like Pikachu, and even Ike is a decent countepick to him depending on the stage.

I can understand putting Sonic over Fox, tho.

The thing is tho, even if Sonic loses to Pikachu and Ike, which I doubt he does, those are rare characters. There's only one relevant Pikachu main and that's ESAM. However, there are several notable Rosalina mains. Sonic's matchups against the rest of the top-tiers are better than Mario's overall, too. Sonic does better than Mario against Ryu, for example.

He wasn't saying that they should be higher, he was saying they should be lower (and they should, when is the last time you saw Charizard in Top 32 at any major event?)

Oh, now I understand. I still think Mac is a force to be reckoned with, Sol and Alphican's results are more than enough proof of that. Zard's still one of the better heavyweights to me, but you are right considering the fact he barely has any players rn after Trela dropped him for Ryu.

Samus should be in F. No way she's that much better than Bowser and Duck Hunt (they're both better than she is IMO).

Of course it's just what I think, but I used to dislike ZSS before I tried her out, she's actually an awesome character and has quickly earned my respect. I done great with her on my first try. She's got speed and power, you can't go wrong with those moves. Then you have her OP'd paralyzing gun.

Fox used to be so wonderful in Brawl, but they kind of nerf'd him this time around. Sonic needs more KO moves too.

The thing is tho, even if Sonic loses to Pikachu and Ike, which I doubt he does, those are rare characters. There's only one relevant Pikachu main and that's ESAM. However, there are several notable Rosalina mains. Sonic's matchups against the rest of the top-tiers are better than Mario's overall, too. Sonic does better than Mario against Ryu, for example.

Ike isn't really rare anymore with more people picking him up recently, especially since a good amount of Ike mains popped up at Big House 5.

Pikachu also has False and Captain L, but they've gotten nowhere as far with the character as ESAM has so that's true.

That's fake.  It's a clear Photoshopped image since the shadows on the eyes are inconsistent with the shadows on the Mii.

I did say it was fake in my post. XP

I was thinking maybe it was a model hack though, people have been doing that lately.

Of course it's just what I think, but I used to dislike ZSS before I tried her out, she's actually an awesome character and has quickly earned my respect. I done great with her on my first try. She's got speed and power, you can't go wrong with those moves. Then you have her OP'd paralyzing gun.

Fox used to be so wonderful in Brawl, but they kind of nerf'd him this time around. Sonic needs more KO moves too.

Yeah, I dropped Fox in this game due to me finding him nowhere near as satisfying as he was in Brawl. I still miss his DACUS and autocanceled lasers. Though Fox despite being nerfed in Smash 4 is better relative to the cast than he was in Brawl, since his fast falling speed in that game made him very prone to chaingrabs to characters like Dedede or the Ice Climebrs.

HggSLOq.png

does this mean link is in the low tier tourney now? :^)

does this mean link is in the low tier tourney now? :^)

Link's in 23rd place on my list, and there's 56 characters in this game so that's not low tier lol

Geez, did the patches nerf Bowser that badly? I remember him being really popular when the game first came out. o_o

Rh2kkCs.png

Bowser's never been nerfed dude. Quite the contrary.

• Thumbs Up 1