Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Reggie has his body ready to become a playable character in Smash Bros U.

Reggie has his body ready to become a playable character in Smash Bros U.

I love this man the more and more I hear him speak

Say that reminds me, when is the next Nintendo Direct?I get a feeling they may unveal characters at each direct, which would give them both a solid, steady, route, as well as allow them to choose how many to reveal at a time, rather than at random intervals on the dojo

Oh wow I just saw the Megaman in SSB trailer.

It's better than the other two trailers out now.

That trailer is so amazing.

CGI intros for new characters only? Awww... that's no fun. :(

Well, I am curious to see what Story mode will look like this time around... I mean, I see no reason why they'd get rid of it.

...I just hope this time they don't bullcrap and make you redo all the stages all over again because they ran out of ideas halfway through.

Naturally vouching for Sonic to appear sooner in the story. I'm confident he'll return simply because Sakurai is pretty receptive to his fanbase.

CGI intros for new characters only? Awww... that's no fun. sad.png

Well, I am curious to see what Story mode will look like this time around... I mean, I see no reason why they'd get rid of it.

Sakurai confirmed that the single player mode won't be like Subspace Emissary. A lot of people, myself included, didn't enjoy it, so that doesn't really bother me.

Also, doing CGI intros for all characters would be a huge undertaking. It's a laborious and expensive process. I'd rather see gameplay footage anyway.

Edited by Solly

The trailers we got so far had gameplay mixed in as well, so thats not a worry. Plus the CGI scennes are cool :V

I wouldn't mind like 10-20 second CGI bits and the rest of gameplay, like they did with WFT. mega man had a pretty large bit of CGI, presumably due to E3 and because he is pronbablt now the most anticipated character (due to sonic being in brawl)

Subspace Emissary did have quite a few problems... but now I'm curious what the campaign mode will look like. I doubt they'll go back to the barebones type that was in Melee, so I'm really excited to see what he has in mind.

Ooo, gameplay speed. I've been told Melee's faster than Brawl but haven't played it in so long I'm not sure... guess I'll see when the new variant comes out. tongue.png

Definite yay to no tripping. I had always wanted them to make Sonic immune to tripping as a special power in Brawl, but I guess this is grand too!

Dragoon can fuck right off. Spending 15 minutes fighting over that piece of shit just to fucking miss was just another thing to add to things I dislike about Brawl.

• Thumbs Up 3

But that feeling you get when you manage to hit all three of your friends at once was just oh so good.

• Thumbs Up 4

Eh, I feel Dark Samus is just better off as an alt skin to Samus. I can understand that she has her own set of abilities and what not, but I just don't like the idea of having a character that's visually a clone get in. I mean that's like saying characters like Daisy or Dark Pit would be good ideas, sure they could have pretty unique movesets that set them apart from Peach and Pit respectively, but it just seems more fitting to just make them a skin and call it a day.

Plus with the Luigi example, he only looks like Mario by attire alone, outside of some brotherly similarities. He has enough features and quirks that set him apart from Mario that it's easy to differentiate between the two.

No one seemed to care or bat an eye with Ness and Lucas in Brawl....

Still if you want anyone else from the Metroid series, I wouldn't mind any of the Hunters from MP:H.

But that feeling you get when you manage to hit all three of your friends at once was just oh so good.

With risk comes reward, as they say...

Quite a few things can miss, but the satisfaction when they don't is just indescribable.

I'm hoping they do change up the final smashes though, simply to keep things fresh. On the issue of PSASBR, Sakurai shouldn't seek to be different from them if they had a good idea; I thought the multiple risk-reward types of super moves that game had was actually a clever idea.

It's also good for balance given that some final smashes just absolutely suck.

Yeah, but I don't think they should take final smashes into account when trying to balance a character as whole.

And back on the topic of a second Metroid rep, I don't think any of the Prime: Hunters characters are iconic or relevant enough to the series to become fully fledged characters in Smash Bros.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually that's probably the biggest issues with these sorts of games. Some characters that do poorly come across as having pretty good final smashes; it looks like they were meant to be used in a lot of cases.

It'll be quite the delicate balancing issue, trying to keep characters balanced versus each other on their own... while keeping final smashes balanced against each other in addition. That you can toggle them on and off just makes the situation problematic; in PSASBR the supers are the focus of the game and so they can be more easily balanced since there's only one mode - with them. In Smash Bros there's with and without...

Speaking of borrowing ideas from PSASBR I don't see why toggling hazards on and off is a bad idea. I mean if we can toggle the make-or-break items like a Smash Ball on and off...

Removing the hazards from certain stages kinda strips them of what made them unique though. Taking that away just makes some of the "Bumpy Final Destination".

The hazards are probably considered fairer than FS' in the devs eyes since everyones fair game, just whoever was too slow to avoid them

• Thumbs Up 1

My biggest gripe with Final Smashes is almost purely based on its dependency on an item to unlock, which means nine times out of ten the same fucking characters always get it before anyone else. It gets even worse still when slow, non-ranged chars have FSs that are complete and utter shit anyway (Dedede), while there are faster ones that can easily guarantee a minimum of 3 KOs per use (Sonic). I can get that Sakurai didn't want it chained to a meter mechanic like basically every other fighting game ever, but at the very least he should've invented a system that isn't inherently biased towards certain types of characters.

And since the SP campaign got brought up again, I'd just like to add that my only real wish is that enemies actually behave like Smash Bros characters when struck. Health meters run contrary to a lot of the mechanics Smash is based around - why make a game based around knocking other people out of bounds if you're not going to stick to it? It feels jarring, for lack of a better description. Hell, if it means being able to send Master Hand sailing out of Final Destination's borders, I'd be up for that too.

Edited by Blacklightning

I agree on bosses needing to feel more like I'm fighting an enemy as oppose to an attack dispenser that I slowly whittle down.  Fighting bosses in Smash Bros is more like grating cheese than battling an intelligent foe.

Master and Crazy Hand can stay as is though out of tradition.  I'd like some new attacks for them and maybe even a little facelift though.

Oh it'd be cool actually if the 3DS uses the cartooney "glove" design of Smash 64 while the Wii U uses the mysterious "hand" design of Melee and Brawl.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 4

My biggest gripe with Final Smashes is almost purely based on its dependency on an item to unlock, which means nine times out of ten the same fucking characters always get it before anyone else. It gets even worse still when slow, non-ranged chars have FSs that are complete and utter shit anyway (Dedede), while there are faster ones that can easily guarantee a minimum of 3 KOs per use (Sonic). I can get that Sakurai didn't want it chained to a meter mechanic like basically every other fighting game ever, but at the very least he should've invented a system that isn't inherently biased towards certain types of characters.

And since the SP campaign got brought up again, I'd just like to add that my only real wish is that enemies actually behave like Smash Bros characters when struck. Health meters run contrary to a lot of the mechanics Smash is based around - why make a game based around knocking other people out of bounds if you're not going to stick to it? It feels jarring, for lack of a better description. Hell, if it means being able to send Master Hand sailing out of Final Destination's borders, I'd be up for that too.

How bout it takes less or more hits depending on how fast/agile your character is? If they are faster/more agile, more hits, and if they are less, then less hits. 

The game is already designed behind that basic philosophy. It doesn't actually help.

Immense hype for this game escapes me because at this point the game looks and plays like Brawl with a higher resolution.

Edited by Chooch

I'll be entirely honest. Mega Man is the least interesting of the three new characters to me.

The Villager is the coolest. Changes to the roster are completely irrelevant to my point anyway.

Edited by Chooch

Way too early for me to start judging the game and it's characters considering we have a LONG way to go before this game is done, the 3DS version may possible hold back the WiiU version too.

I'm gonna save it till we get some more gameplay footage showing more of the old and new characters (I'm especially curious to more of the Villager), hopefully their may be a Nintendo Direct or something coming sometime in the following months. Hype will resurface once we get more stuff aside from the interviews and the weekly pictures. 

Through I will say myself, I was kinda already expecting Mega Man for whatever reason, kinda of a gut feeling, so my hype wasn't that large(but I was more hype to see his moves and that he mimicked his 8-bit sprite so beautifully), but Villager and Wii Fit Trainer caught me off guard.

Edited by Dantemustdie00

The game is already designed behind that basic philosophy. It doesn't actually help.

Immense hype for this game escapes me because at this point the game looks and plays like Brawl with a higher resolution.

Actually from shown gameplay footage it's quite a bit faster..........

Brawl was a slower based game and featured a plague of bad design choices.

Smash Bros U is much faster by going closer to Melee and seems to remove many of the bad design choices such as slipping.