Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Eh, good direct overall. Damn excited for Cloud (which I plan to download as soon as I'm back in Chicago) and Bayonetta. Though... and I hate to be this guy but... did we really need another FE character? I don't know who the hell Corrin is as I don't play FE at all so I can't really dismiss him/her but it just seems weird you know? Like how suddenly FE has as many reps in Smash as Pokemon and more than Zelda. I'm sorry, but that's just off to me. There are just so many other characters who deserved that spot tbh.

Though, Bayonetta is more than enough to make me happy so I'm not even mad really. Just curious as to how Sakurai and his team made that decision.

Also, why didn't they release the overall poll results? I know a lot of it is joke but it still would have been nice to see.

• Thumbs Up 1

Smash Bros isn't Marvel vs Capcom. No one has a set rival for them. Everyone is anyone's rival haha.

Maybe so, I just always liked the idea of rivalry in Smash Bros, or just fighting games in general. It would make sense though, would it not? c:

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's a huge version of the Bayonetta art: http://abload.de/img/bayonetta-illustratiohks1v.jpg

Cloud art: http://abload.de/img/cloud-illustration-5m6yo74.jpg

Corrin art: http://abload.de/img/corrin-illustration3doal.jpg

Also saw ideas for the pairings on NeoGAF

Mega Man VS Bowser = Dragon fight in Mega Man 2

Zelda VS Villager = Royalty vs Commoner

Another cool detail for Bayonetta that most of us won't notice:

Here's a neat tidbit: Bayonetta 1 originally did not have Japanese audio. So in the Japanese version of Smash, she speaks English when you use her Bayonetta 1 costume.

Edit: Vid https://youtu.be/3bFyg4kaVE0?t=1512

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=189394031&postcount=332 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know who the hell Corrin is as I don't play FE at all so I can't really dismiss her but it just seems weird you know?

Well of course you wouldn't, his/her game won't be out in the States for another couple of months or so. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It looks absolutely fantastic. Are they implying that Link and Cloud are rivals? Death Battle already settled that debate, haha. Also, I kind of thought that Pit was Link's rival in Smash U? You know, from the Palutena trailer?

This is why:

latest?cb=20120420035719

And this is only in the first game, yes even the original Famicom version of it says "Here lies Link," not "Here lies Erdrick/837-866/RIP"

Edited by Tailikku

Not who I expected to be announced AT ALL, but both look super awesome and unique to play as, so I'm 100% down with 'em. (I mean, c'mon. Corrin turns into a freaking DRAGON. Anything that does that CAN'T be a bad addition.) But maaaaaaan, DAT GENO COSTUME, BRO. I didn't even think about a Geno costume being a possibility until shortly after Cloud's announcement, so it's fantastic to see it become a reality. A lost Mario character returns and my absolute favorite game finally gets a shout-out in Smash. Today has been GREAT. :D Definitely picking up Cloud, Geno, Knuckles, and (maybe) Tails when I get some eShop cash for Christmas next week.

Also, my bingo card results:

2ch5cmc.jpg

ALMOST HAD IT. XD

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't want to sound rude but I really want to imitate Prussia about Wolf not making it in:

20130126105431!PrussiaChibi.png

Suck it, losers!

And of course my usual response to people who wanted Goku in the game:

tumblr_inline_nm6joc0m0t1sqi2e6_500.thum

Edited by Tailikku
  • Thumbs Up 2

*This retrospective will be about the 3ds version which is the only one I own*

So we have come to the end of DLC. Looking back I will say that I'm satisfied with the end product. I skipped smash brawl so smash 3ds was my return to the series.

At first it I wasnt watching much of it but after E3 2014 I got interested in it. I was glad to see my favorite characters main stays like Original 12 and seeing Sonic and Diddy Kong make a return. I was surprised to see Megaman and Pacman make it in and excited to see Bowser jr ( and koopalings) as a new comer and Dr.Mario rerurn. I found new mains in Mr.Game and watch , kirby, diddy, Lucina and king dedede. 

Then comes the stages, I love the Paper Mario, NSMB2, MK7, Prism tower, 3DLand,  and Ballon fight stages. I was peeved that DK, Yoshi, Wario and Sonic series got the short end of the stick with stages.

Smash Run is an amazing diversion and online is fun since I got my wireless internet.

Now I'm gonna speak about the DLC. Bar the fact that the ballot gave us only one character I'm pretty fine with it. 

I honestly didnt care for mii costumes pnly getting Protoman and will probably get geno and tails or knuckles or heck both. 

The retro dlc stages I have absolutely no interest for especially since a good chunk of 3ds stages are returning stages.

Now for characters 

I was extremely excited to see roy( one of my mains in melee) return. I liked seeing lucas and Mewtwo return. 

Then there is Ryu. I love using him and need to get better at him and I LOVE his castle stage along with the music.

Corrin I guess I can main him but like many have said he/she really wasnt needed. 

Cloud I've grown to like him and same should be said about bayonetta.

Now for the free dlc. Dunk hunt was a nice consolation gift for not getting the zelda stage.

And last but certainly not least. I freaking LOVE the Mario Maker stage. The semi randomness of the design of the stage and just the atmosphere is great.

So with that I bid farwell to any expectations for new content and hello to the remaining wanted content.

(Plus I was living in dream land since the characters I wanted were Mario in paper form, kamek and sonic in metal and evil form)

look

all I want is Isaac

I'd even be ok with a mii costume

is that too much to ask

RIP the dream

still though, all three of the new characters look great, especially Corrin. Though, not really sure why he was picked to be a playable fighter, I welcome him with open arms. I might even hold him as a higher main than Cloud in February.

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH.

I honestly don't care for this update. Bayonetta's alright, I guess, but my hype instantly died when she showed up. I went from "OMG WHO'S IT GONNA BE WHO'S THS NEW WARRIOR GONNA BE" to "Oh. Her. OK... we're gonna end the game (and quite possibly the series) with her? Whatever."

That Fire Emblem guy, though, is the epitome of "I can't give a fuck." I've never played Fire Emblem, I'm not likely to to so (I'm not a fan of strategy RPGs or really anything with a medieval motif), so to see him get in over other characters (where's the indie love, guys? Do they simply not count?) is disheartening. Also his design's bland as hell and I can't even remember his name. That's not a good sign.

I'm likely going to get both of them anyway because I'm a completionist, but I'm probably not gonna touch them often.

• Thumbs Up 5

In other news, Sonic Twitter continues to be best Twitter...

CWTfw60WoAEl8Og.jpg:large

Lythero on twitter posted this. Can't unsee.

CWTLACBWsAAEAEz.jpg

really excited about Corrin and Bayonetta.

Cloud is a blast to play. Slightly disappointed he doesn't have an English voice, but still having fun with him. The Limit Break system is interesting and it forces you to think about when you want to use it. 

• Thumbs Up 9

Honestly really disappointing to me when you consider Fire Emblem got 3 new characters, and honestly it's seriously getting annoying. And eh on Bayonetta, I can't really download her. and honestly, the ballot character being third party really disappointing me when you realize the only newcomer we got was from a franchise that was already over-repped and now has the same number of fighters as Pokemon, for a series that was nearly dead a year before this came out

xiEFQA0.jpg

Sorry for your lost

mando

Eh, way I see it K.Rool was the only Ballot/supported character to merit a Mii costume, and we got the word out, guess I gotta wait for the next Smash, and his return to DKC

I think K. Rool is a lock for returning to Nintendo and DKC at this point. Hell, he was probably the runner up in the ballot as well considering how he's the ONLY other highly talked about character for the ballot to get a costume, and based on the timing, Bayonetta was definitely picked before K. Rool's costume was added.

Plus, the ballot is for future Nintendo games and not just Smash 4. So hopefully with all the support Isaac got we can also get GS4, too...

• Thumbs Up 3

Honestly really disappointing to me when you consider Fire Emblem got 3 new characters, and honestly it's seriously getting annoying. And eh on Bayonetta, I can't really download her. and honestly, the ballot character being third party really disappointing me when you realize the only newcomer we got was from a franchise that was already over-repped and now has the same number of fighters as Pokemon, for a series that was nearly dead a year before this came out

Eh, way I see it K.Rool was the only Ballot/supported character to merit a Mii costume, and we got the word out, guess I gotta wait for the next Smash, and his return to DKC

you cant deny that tails and knuckles deserve and merit to be mii costumes

• Thumbs Up 1

It's been an awesome ride this past year (and the one before that leading up to the game's release) and I'm appreciative of all the work Sakurai and his team have put into this game thus far. Kind of sad to see it come to an end, but we know it couldn't last forever.

Nevertheless, I'm more mixed on this update. I wasn't expecting my ultimate pick (*coughBombermancough*) to get in by any means, but I guess I would've liked to see more cartoony or even non-human characters for more variety. On the other hand, they all look super fun to play as and I'll most likely get them all.

I've never played Final Fantasy and only have a surface-level knowledge of the series, but I recognize Cloud and his appeal and have no qualms with him. Beyond that, my thoughts have long been summed up by others. (I still think they could've picked a better series emblem besides an "FF," though...)

Corrin's moveset has me hyped, but as someone not into Fire Emblem, I'd never even seen him before now and thus found it hard to be excited for him overall. Crazy to think that Fire Emblem now has as many reps as series like Mario and Pokémon, though.

Bayonetta is who I'm most excited about and familiar with. I never expected to see all her little visual and gameplay effects so lovingly recreated, and I know she's going to be a blast to play. I actually remember a fake "leak" a few years back mentioning Bayonetta as another Sega rep, which opened me up to the idea of her being in Smash. To see her actually in the game now feels surreal.

Like others, I would've liked to see Wolf just to have one more veteran and returning character from Brawl. He would've been perfect for promoting Star Fox Zero and we'd get to hear him fight with this SF64/3D voice.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know what annoys me the most, the fact that FE got the most newcomers of any franchise in this smashbros, more than mario, despite being one of Nintendo's Worse selling Series, while both DK, and Star Fox either got nothing, or even got a character removed, and they continue to poorly represent the franchise by making every single one of the fighters use swords, despite their being over a dozen different weapon types in the series

• Thumbs Up 1

Cloud is so... Balanced? Like he's really fast but strong at the same time. It's so weird.

I'll test him out online tomorrow or somethin'. Feel like I should practice not killing myself with Climhazard lel

Plus, the ballot is for future Nintendo games and not just Smash 4.

Hmm..the Smash Ballot was for more than just Smash U? Explain.

Cloud is so... Balanced? Like he's really fast but strong at the same time. It's so weird.

I'll test him out online tomorrow or somethin'. Feel like I should practice not killing myself with Climhazard lel

I have to agree so far. In practice he's a lot simpler to use than I'd imagined and he manages to feel like a nice balance between Marth and Ike-- even more so than Roy IMO. I'm probably going to play him a lot going forward.

Also, another neat touch that I'm not sure was mentioned: after his victory theme plays, it actually plays the FF results theme instead of the normal one. It's character-specific details like those that I love about this game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hmm..the Smash Ballot was for more than just Smash U? Explain.

Below the original Japanese ballot page:

・ご投稿いただいた情報(以下「投稿内容」といいます)は、本ソフトの参戦キャラクターの検討等、今後のソフト制作の参考にさせていただきます。

The information received from this vote (Henceforth known as Submission Data) will be use for consideration for this software’s fighting characters,etc and for reference for future software

If a new Smash is ever on the cards, they'll be looking at the ballot results. I assume they intend to make a sequel but aren't looking at it immediately. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic has the best damn partner for Doubles, lol. I know Mega Man has Ryu, but now I wish Dante was here instead.

But apparently, we can't have Dante and Bayonetta existing in the same game for some reason, too much awesomeness I guess, lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, it felt like a middle finger to the fanbase really. It felt as if Sakurai was saying, forget what you really want, I'll take a character I want and say it won, despite being an extremely failed series that tanked twice, over all the iconic and classic third party characters that actually have a legacy, and I'll piss you off from the start, by not only giving you a character from a game that hasn't even released in the west, spoiling their backstory, who is disliked in the region it's in, is part of a saturated skill style, and from a vastly over-represented franchise that has only sold 5 Million copies over a lifetime of what 15 games now, when you could have picked any number of iconic characters, from series that are beloved, or have splashed onto the scene(with on game Splatoon has already sold more than not only FEA, but over half the series in general). Not only that but the only Newcomer that is actually a Nintendo character is neither from an unrepped series, or even from a series that hasn't gotten a single character ingame. Not only is it disappointing, but it's downright insulting