Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

So I get home from a relatively shit day at work to see that Bayo won the smash ballot, day has been instantly redeemed. I personally was pushing more for Wonder Red but I knew he was more of a long shot and would have been even more difficult to faithfully adapt into Smash. 

• Thumbs Up 1

And really, what reason would Sakurai have to lie about who won the ballot, anyway? He's shown that he'll put in who he wants regardless. 

It's clear that Bayonetta was the victor here. All the internet polls turned out to be inaccurate like I figured due to the ballot getting more exposure.

• Thumbs Up 5

That's a little dramatic Mando.

I mean, the way I see it is... It's a video game. My life's gonna go on just fine regardless of who's added to it. I'm not saying you can't be disappointed or excited over this but it's seriously not a big deal. I highly doubt he's giving us a middle finger by giving us another FE character that looks even more interesting than Robin. You can't always look at this stuff from a business standpoint. Sometimes a character is picked because of the moveset potential.

• Thumbs Up 4

So, I take it I'm the only one who finds that they put Bluckles and Blails in the game vaguely terrifying? I mean, really, why couldn't they just put the ACTUAL Knuckles in Tails in the game? It's not like they don't have a huge wealth of moves to pull from, thus implying that they could actually be meaningful additions to the roster. At the very least, it'd make me less motivated to cack myself when I see those abominations enter the stage.

I'm not into Fire Emblem series so I can't comment that much... Corrin seems a little less "more of the same" than Roy and I find Bayonetta's inclusion simply AMAZING. I love Bayonetta's series and I'm glad Nintendo saved it twice. A second SEGA character and my second personal choice after Ryo Hazuki.

We didn't think she would have fit  Smash, but we were wrong... she's remarkable. A bad-ass female and original character, and mostly, she has a magnificent moveset. 

From my point of view, I have 3 out of 5 personal favorite game characters of all time in the same videogame (Sonic, Ryu and Bayonetta... Too bad for Ryo and NiGHTS), so I couldn't be more happier.

And, last thing, to those who wanted more important first party characters, I can see the reason why they didn't opt for them. They're saving those choices for the next installment. Yes, they're doing it... they're not SEGA, they know where they can print money.

Smash 5 will introduce King Rool, Inklings, Ridley, Sora, Ryo Hazuki (I shall stop dreaming out loud)...... 

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, it's not the character reveals that sold me, it's what Sakurai said at the end of the video about how companies do DLC, having them already ready and withholding them either at release or planning to release them later when their data is already in the game, this is what got people so damn pissed at Street Fighter X Tekken.

Shit, I'm really glad Sakurai, and Nintendo as a whole didn't resort to that crap (well, except for Gamefreak having the 3 Kalos Legendaries already in the data, but waiting damn 3 years to release them), Nintendo has done DLC very good.

• Thumbs Up 2

Here's the thing though, do we REALLY need another Smash? I mean, nevermind that this one is only a year old, and that it usually a VERY long time between Smash entries, but why do we NEED another Smash just so we could have more characters? What's wrong with the one we got that we couldn't just add more to the roster?

Here's the thing though, do we REALLY need another Smash? I mean, nevermind that this one is only a year old, and that it usually a VERY long time between Smash entries, but why do we NEED another Smash just so we could have more characters? What's wrong with the one we got that we couldn't just add more to the roster?

I think this is probably what Nintendo will do tbh. The main issue is they can't keep the team running forever. They have to call it quits eventually. Plus, there's going to be a new console and everything.

Now, what I mean by "probably what Nintendo will do" is take this game, add more characters, upgrade the graphics, add more stages, and port it to the next console. Maybe with some characters cut, because it would technically be a new game, but its getting increasingly difficult to create more characters every game. If they do serious revamps to existing characters or just the gameplay in general, it would require going the Street Fighter V route and gradually re-releasing the old characters over time.

• Thumbs Up 2

Fucking hyped for Bayonetta. I voted for Wonder Red but this is close enough. Same creator!

I even started playing Bayonetta 2 last week too. (Bought the game when it came out but only played 1 at the time) Bring her on!!

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't buy that it's really as difficult as people think it is to make characters for a Smash game. I mean, it might not be easy, but at the same time Smash isn't this incredibly depthful game that people make it out to be. Never was, and it's never supposed to be. Smash is just supposed to be this fun romp where all of everyone's favorite characters beat the ever-loving shit out of each other in a light-hearted and comical way.

In addition, we're kind of past the days of gaming now where the game you BOUGHT was the game you GOT, and that was it. We're in the position now where patching exists, which artificially extends the development time and resources to DO things like add more characters to the roster, and making sure they're balanced. There's plenty of games that do this on a F2P budget, so I don't see why a game like Smash couldn't. Especially in the case of Smash, because Smash is always a "MUST BUY" for every console its on.

I don't know, I'm just looking at it like I am with CD Projekt Red's "The Witcher 3", which has both paid DLC and free DLC that adds an absolute shit-ton to what is already an utterly massive game, and I'm wondering why Nintendo can't do the same.

Edited by shdowhunt60

I just don't care for Fire Emblem, and don't know why it needs that many reps whenever neither their character designs, concepts nor movesets vary too terribly much. If another Smash were to ever happen again (not sure if it will at this point tbh), I could go without another FE character much like how I don't feel like Mario or Pokemon need any more reps. 5-7 reps and still growing whenever so many other franchises on their list could use more reps feels like a waste of space for the sake of their respective bigger-than-usual fanbases.

That said, it's not like I dislike Roy (he actually became one of my mains) and the new person looks neatish, but I couldn't care less about how much overexposure it feels like FE is getting. It's like we've gone full tilt opposite of Melee days in regards to this series, lol.

BUT ANYWAYS

Bayonaisse is in the game OH MY GOD and I'm in it for day one buying her AND that amiibo habahasdfhjasdfhahbhahabh

Edited by Azoo
  • Thumbs Up 3

I just wish there was some sort of roundabout that showed which characters ranked where. 

Bayonetta winning really threw me off guard and I'm questioning the legitimacy of the backing of the characters that were promoted for the Fighter Ballot, nevermind the fact that realizable characters were slatted.

You know, I see a lot of requests for characters like Eggman and Ridley as playable characters, but I don't think they actually work at all with how smash is designed. Ridley is far too big, and Eggman also too often relies on giant doomsday robots. I don't see it working out unless...

... Unless...

What if you could have the bosses playable in Smash? Like, okay, you could have a mode where one player gets to be a boss, and the rest are just normal characters, and the normal characters all beat on the boss. I mean, it'd be tricky creating an incentive for players to just play as the normal characters, when they could be the big badass boss-fight, but I think that could be doable.

• Thumbs Up 4

As for Corrin being the only Nintendo character, I want to be that guy and say Bayonetta is technically a Nintendo character at this point in time.

I just wish there was some sort of roundabout that showed which characters ranked where. 

Bayonetta winning really threw me off guard and I'm questioning the legitimacy of the backing of the characters that were promoted for the Fighter Ballot, nevermind the fact that realizable characters were slatted.

Everyone knows Shrek won, but DreamWorks didn't want to play ball.

• Thumbs Up 8

Honestly, it felt like a middle finger to the fanbase really. It felt as if Sakurai was saying, forget what you really want, I'll take a character I want and say it won, despite being an extremely failed series that tanked twice, over all the iconic and classic third party characters that actually have a legacy, and I'll piss you off from the start, by not only giving you a character from a game that hasn't even released in the west, spoiling their backstory, who is disliked in the region it's in, is part of a saturated skill style, and from a vastly over-represented franchise that has only sold 5 Million copies over a lifetime of what 15 games now, when you could have picked any number of iconic characters, from series that are beloved, or have splashed onto the scene(with on game Splatoon has already sold more than not only FEA, but over half the series in general). Not only that but the only Newcomer that is actually a Nintendo character is neither from an unrepped series, or even from a series that hasn't gotten a single character ingame. Not only is it disappointing, but it's downright insulting

The salt is real, also please stop being butt hurt. You got your kroc as a costume.

Your claiming that Sakurai gave us the middle finger yet you forget that this man spent countless nights balancing the game and developing carpool tunnel syndrome yet he pulled foward to deliver the game. 

If anything your being ungrateful and honest disrespectful. So again I say stop being butthurt.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, I do admit, I have no idea what to think.

Bayonetta isn't who I voted for, but I will say her inclusion is still pretty cool. A shame it wasn't Arle or Amitie, but I can't say I didn't expect that. And hey, I'll still buy Bayonetta. I plan on getting all the DLC characters so I can give friends the maximum amount of options possible when playing. :)

Also, @Mando-Whirl-Wind, speaking for the fanbase as if we're all "insulted"/"offended", mmmmno. It doesn't feel like a middle finger to most, even those disappointed by the characters aren't going as far to call foul on this. People understand that it's a huge job what's been done, and not everyone will get everything/anything they want.(and a lot are actually pleased with the characters shown still, some apart of the smash fanbase) The only one on this entire forum who feels like Sakurai gave the middle finger to people is you, and you're going off unsupported accusations so....yeah, maybe just admit you're disappointed by no K. Rool?

Edited by Michael Munroe
  • Thumbs Up 2

Also, @Mando-Whirl-Wind, speaking for the fanbase as if we're all "insulted"/"offended", mmmmno. It doesn't feel like a middle finger to most, even those disappointed by the characters aren't going as far to call foul on this. People understand that it's a huge job what's been done, and not everyone will get everything/anything they want.(and a lot are actually pleased with the characters shown still, some apart of the smash fanbase) The only one on this entire forum who feels like Sakurai gave the middle finger to people is you, and you're going off unsupported accusations so....yeah, maybe just admit you're disappointed by no K. Rool?

but there is k.rool

as a mii costume *trollface*

I am kind of surprised there wasn't at least a Mii costume of Isaac. Golden Sun isn't that relevant anymore, but it's actually more recent than K. Rool is.

Edited by Conando
  • Thumbs Up 2

Boy the reactions towards the last Smash Direct made its mark.

I'll be short and sweet; it's speaks volumes to put this much flak on a guy who's not been in the best of health and basically been providing more content for us to get more mileage out of this game. Methinks (and deserving so) this is showing just how serious some treat Smash Bros and it's sad. Expected, but sad. 

As for Corrin...never played and will never play his/her home series. With that said, It's interesting just how much of a sweet spot the Fire Emblem series has had between Awakening, Sm4sh and Fates. Established veterans (Marth, Ike), newcomers (Lucina & Robin) and the DLC (Roy from Melee and Corrin). I haven't seen one franchise represented in Smash to this day that had this much of a special coincidence in that regard. Dunno if you want to call it lucky, but it's not like Sakurai planned this all out. It's a way to further promote a franchise who's been back into the swing of things for Nintendo lately, might as well strike while the iron is hot. 

Again, personally I'm neutral towards this character. Don't hate it, but don't like it either. But taking into account the circumstances surrounding it...it makes sense to me in THAT regard.

Sooooooo that brings me to the OTHER DLC character...Bayonetta...

uOEVaSQ.gif 
HOLY CRAAAAAAAAAAAP SHE MADE IT IN I REMEMBER PEOPLE SAYIN SHE COULDN'T GET IN BASED ON THE SOURCE MATERIAL BUT SAKURAI MADE IT HAPPEN AAAAAAAAAAAAA

This was a genuine surprise; SEGA (technically) got two reps in the game now...kinda surreal to me. I am SO looking forward to how she plays. Also....THAT BASED AFTER BURNER REMIX IS ONE OF HER THEMES FOR THE GAME EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Edited by TCB
  • Thumbs Up 2