Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Here's the thing though, do we REALLY need another Smash? I mean, nevermind that this one is only a year old, and that it usually a VERY long time between Smash entries, but why do we NEED another Smash just so we could have more characters? What's wrong with the one we got that we couldn't just add more to the roster?

Smash 4 is so definitive that I don't see how they can possibly make another one for a long time.  There's no way they can match the roster from this one, and even if they did I don't know if they could replicate the level of excitement for some of the newcomers.  My guess for the next Smash game - excluding a possible NX update of Smash 4 - is that they might reboot the series entirely, rethink it on a mechanical level and build the new game from the ground up without taking anything from previous entries.

You know, I see a lot of requests for characters like Eggman and Ridley as playable characters, but I don't think they actually work at all with how smash is designed. Ridley is far too big, and Eggman also too often relies on giant doomsday robots. I don't see it working out unless...

... Unless...

What if you could have the bosses playable in Smash? Like, okay, you could have a mode where one player gets to be a boss, and the rest are just normal characters, and the normal characters all beat on the boss. I mean, it'd be tricky creating an incentive for players to just play as the normal characters, when they could be the big badass boss-fight, but I think that could be doable.

This was something I thought might be in this Smash game - an asymmetric multiplayer mode for bosses and other characters too big to fit in as regular fighters.  Similar to Bowser's role in the most recent Mario Party, basically.  I think that has a shot for the next game.

At least K Rool fans got that

Us Golden Sun fans just got left out to dry smh

I still think they had Isaac planned as a fighter but ran out of time to work on him, and he just wasn't a big enough name to be redone for DLC.  ...And I do have to admit that the characters they got for DLC are all big deals who completely outclassed Isaac (and other fan choices like K. Rool and Shovel Knight), so it's understandable, really.  We'll just have to make sure Golden Sun 4 is a success!

I am kind of surprised there wasn't at least a Mii costume of Isaac. Golden Sun isn't that relevant anymore, but it's actually more recent than K. Rool is.

Based on what little sales we know Dark Dawn sold better than Bayonetta 2. Granted, I'm sure both sold a hell of a lot more, we were just never given full sales for either.

However, I think its obvious why K. Rool got the costume and not Isaac. Isaac may have been highly requested, but K. Rool was far, far more highly requested. And as noted above, I'm absolutely certain he'll be back in DKC.

And I also think we'll get GS4, too. In fact, I think Camelot was working on it before they were asked to rush out Ultra Smash. If that game had a full year and a half of development it would not be in the state its in. I'm absolutely certain Camelot was working on something else before they were asked to do that game. Even if they weren't already working on it, though, because of the support Isaac got in the ballot I'm sure it'll be coming anyway.

Smash 4 is so definitive that I don't see how they can possibly make another one for a long time.  There's no way they can match the roster from this one, and even if they did I don't know if they could replicate the level of excitement for some of the newcomers.  My guess for the next Smash game - excluding a possible NX update of Smash 4 - is that they might reboot the series entirely, rethink it on a mechanical level and build the new game from the ground up without taking anything from previous entries.

This was something I thought might be in this Smash game - an asymmetric multiplayer mode for bosses and other characters too big to fit in as regular fighters.  Similar to Bowser's role in the most recent Mario Party, basically.  I think that has a shot for the next game.

I still think they had Isaac planned as a fighter but ran out of time to work on him, and he just wasn't a big enough name to be redone for DLC.  ...And I do have to admit that the characters they got for DLC are all big deals who completely outclassed Isaac (and other fan choices like K. Rool and Shovel Knight), so it's understandable, really.  We'll just have to make sure Golden Sun 4 is a success!

For third-parties Cloud and Ryu outclass Isaac and K. Rool. Bayonetta I'd argue doesn't outclass either of them. She's about on-par with Isaac, she's just more recent. And doesn't come close to K. Rool. But again, she's been around recently.

Veterans by definition outclass newcomers, but if counted as a newcomer, Roy would not outclass either Isaac or K. Rool either. And Corrin is too new to outclass either of them, too.

God it was just perfect, when they showed the Intro I was just going ''Oh god dammit another Kid Icarus character? I know the series barely got any rep, but waste the ballot on thi-''
*Bayonetta just shows up and proceeds to beat the shit out of Pit*

What followed is me saying ''Holy shit'' for five minutes straight

It was magical. AND NOT LEAKED AT ALL, so they managed to save the final surprise after all.

Honestly, yes, I wanted K.Rool, but Bayonetta is a fair trade, instead of what I wanted I got something great I didn't know I also wanted, which is wonderful.

BTW, I THINK the ballot results were just badly explained, I'm betting what actually happened is that Bayo got the most votes overall(duh) maybe under one or two joke characters or characters that just couldn't be added(Looking at you Goku) and Sakurai was trying to explain how many votes she got on all three regions but just didn't explain it very well.

• Thumbs Up 7

I've had a play around with Cloud and I've gotta say, he's a pretty fun character. There's a few things that bring him down (the lag on some of his attacks and his awful non-limit breaker recovery), but I can definitely see myself using him a fair bit.

• Thumbs Up 2

Cloud is fun but some of his moves are pretty sluggish and he lacks a good combo brreaker. It's almost ridiculous how easy it is to gimp him as well. But otherwise, maaaan he has so much potential with what can be done with Limit Break. I'm super excited to see where this character goes. I'm definitely gonna use him as a secondary once I get all his basics down.

The salt is strong...goooood...gooooood.

Anyway, bit miffed about Corrin's inclusion but I've heard it's because his/her character is popular in Japan atm and this is basically advertising for FE: Fates in the west. Fair enough, looks fun to play as anyway! Bayonetta tho OMFG YES <3 So so happy it's not Goku, that would've been way worse!

Along with Cloud's inclusion I think this is an excellent roster for Smash Bros, the best if not THE best roster of any fighting game out there. Thank you Sakurai, you did an awesome job.

PS: Shame about Snake not being in the game but it was expected. Fuck Konami and all that.

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't really care regardless because now the entire Smash roster is something even more special...

and absolutely insane. Maybe it detracts from it being a "Nintendo" fighter but I love just how much more diverse and interesting the new DLC characters are, and how much effort was put into them.

• Thumbs Up 6

Here's the thing though, do we REALLY need another Smash? I mean, nevermind that this one is only a year old, and that it usually a VERY long time between Smash entries, but why do we NEED another Smash just so we could have more characters? What's wrong with the one we got that we couldn't just add more to the roster?

You mean aside from technology limitations of the current hardware? Look man,  every Smash is amazing in its own rite,  but you can't deny that with each coming generation, a new  evolution is due to take place. Based on hardware power  alone,  I can assure you that certain characters wouldn't even be possible in their present forms on older Smash games,  without a heavy retooling. 

Who's to say that a Smash 5 wouldn't even be built on hardware strong enough to give us even certain...... bigger payable characters as well? 

Edited by Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon

SmashBros8_Zelda-1024x576.jpgCWPxnf_LWo_AA14_Hf.jpg

Can't help but wonder  if this means that Zelda's going to get stabbed in the back by a crazed Palutena guided by the whims of her "father" S-A-K-U-R-A-I.

• Thumbs Up 3

If you go to GoNintendo you may come across a high tide of salty seas. The butt hurt and criticizing Sakurai like a certain someone here is just amazing.

If a new Smash is ever on the cards, they'll be looking at the ballot results. I assume they intend to make a sequel but aren't looking at it immediately. 

They'd be crazy not to make a new one. Smash Bros. is arguably Nintendo's best selling series.

Well, my dreams have been crushed. Sonic deserved another rep. They were so lazy with how his series was represented.

y-mia-sweating%28a%29.gif....Y'know having Shadow as an assist trophy, Sonic getting buffed significantly compared to his Brawl debut, and getting two buddies in as costumes, isn't quite what I'd call lazy. And heck, it's actually amazing that we've got another SEGA IP outside of Sonic. C'mon man, Sonic is many things great and all, but he's not ALL there is to SEGA (at least I hope it doesn't come down to that).

• Thumbs Up 5

Well, my dreams have been crushed. Sonic deserved another rep. They were so lazy with how his series was represented. Goodbye Tails, goodbye Knuckles, goodbye Steve, goodbye Nate and his yokai, goodbye Shrek, goodbye Alex kidd, goodbye Waddle Dee, goodbye Cheeto bag. gg guys.

Kevin-Hart-What-GIF.gif?gs=a

Also, did you miss the part where they said:

4dFLAPQ.jpg

Idk if you actually thought Shrek, Alex Kidd or whatever this cheeto bag meme is would actually happen, but uh. You had your hopes a bit high. Sonic has no reason to get another rep when Sonic himself represents his own franchise just fine.

Also reminder that Bayonetta is SEGA's second rep lmaaao

Edited by Celestia Ludenberg
  • Thumbs Up 6

It isn't really my place to say anything but I feel like Mando wouldn't be as upset if you guys weren't constantly harassing him over K. Rool. :V

Oi, I'm still thinking we're just getting an NX port of this game with Ice Climbers added (since there won't be a handheld version. Er, I don't think there will be anyways) and maybe a few extras. I'd be completely fine with that.

• Thumbs Up 6

It isn't really my place to say anything but I feel like Mando wouldn't be as upset if you guys weren't constantly harassing him over K. Rool. :V

And I feel like people wouldn't be so irritated with them character if he hadn't tried to constantly bring the discussion back to him all the time even when people asked him to lay off. 

• Thumbs Up 3

And I feel like people wouldn't be so irritated with them character if he hadn't tried to constantly bring the discussion back to him all the time even when people asked him to lay off. 

I don't think that justifies making fun of him because his character pick didn't make it in, but alright, I guess.

I'm wondering what downsides Bayonetta has. She doesn't seem like she has any weaknesses yet but I guess we'll have to wait until people play as her to find out. Maybe Witch Time is harder to pull off than it looks.

• Thumbs Up 3

CWTQ3HWWsAANtHg.png:large

I TECHNICALLY CALLED SEGA AM2 REP WITH THAT SEGA CARNIVAL HOAX FROM AGES AGO

FUCK YES.

https://youtu.be/Xb5XUkxbHRI

Anyways, Bayonetta is bloody HYPE. She looks insanely fun to play as, the stage is literally the coolest Smash stage I've ever seen, it has AFTER BURNER MUSIC ON IT, and just... ARGH.

I didn't think anything could pull me back after the wet fart that was Corrin but SAKURAI DID IT

I am kinda sad Inklings didn't get in, but holy shit a second SEGA rep and it's BAYONETTA HAHA YES

Edited by Tracker
  • Thumbs Up 4

For whatever reason whenever I listen to Bayonetta's trailer music, I get Piano X Forte X Scandal stuck in my head. I have no idea why, they don't even sound similar. ;;;;

• Thumbs Up 1

I can totally understand if people are upset about Corrin. I am fine with the character just off of the the merits of move set but otherwise it's pretty obvious why people would be disappointed. Bayonetta is absolutely amazing tho'. Choosing the overall most highly requested realizable character after pulling in results from all over the world to decide really is the best course of action.

I don't believe for a second that Sakurai was lying when declaring that Bayonetta was the true winner of the Smash ballot and I have absolutely nothing against her inclusion. A super fun and interesting character that's female to boot? We actually got a female character from the Smash ballot? Sick.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't think that justifies making fun of him because his character pick didn't make it in, but alright, I guess.

I'm wondering what downsides Bayonetta has. She doesn't seem like she has any weaknesses yet but I guess we'll have to wait until people play as her to find out. Maybe Witch Time is harder to pull off than it looks.

when he decides to call out the developer and call foul play on no fair basis, and then act as if he's rightfully insulted, sorry, it comes off as being very salty and whiny and entitled. It's not making fun of someone when you call out their bs.

• Thumbs Up 1

All three of these presumebly final newcomers are cool worthy inclusions for both relevance and moveset, but I'm definitely a bit disappointed at the lack of inklings.

I picked up all the character DLC because I want to fight them as opponents, but none of them I can see as characters I'll main because I have no attachment to them (I played through Classic/All-Star/Smash Run with Cloud on my break at work earlier though and he was fairly fun).

But I am disappointed with this general thing where ALL the DLC newcomers are humanoid characters from games intended for mature audiences in one way or another.  Ryu is from an old fighting game series, Cloud is from an old RPG series, Corrin is from a yet-to-be-released strategy RPG with somewhat of a minimum intelligence requirement to enjoy properly, and Bayonetta is from a violent and sexualised game.

The Inklings would've been a perfect way to round off this content with something more cartooney that all ages can enjoy from a relevant first party title - just as if not moreso relevant than another FE character, creative as they are.

At the very least a Splatoon stage would've been great, even if a moveset for the Inklings wasn't deemed feasible this time round.

As a side note what the fuck is up with Midgar's music!? 

Half of my interest in new stages in Smash 4 is the music that comes with them.  I played it on 3DS at work first and was all ready to be like “wow once again the 3DS gets some really lame choices for a cross-platform stage” after seeing it had two original songs, just like Guar Plain etc.

Then I go onto Wii U and see those two original songs are the ONLY choices there as well.  The heck?

Well at least Sonic has finally been dethroned as “worst treated guest character in terms of music in Smash 4″.

Here’s a super gorgeous stage with ridiculously dramatic visual effects, enjoy your shitty PS1 era midi music that probably only appeals if you have the nostalgia factor for it.

• Thumbs Up 1