Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Bruh, if you seriously don't think that this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLY3tnwEy7k

and this

Aren't some of the best pieces of battle music that your ears have ever heard me and you are going to fight.

No but seriously though, I love these tracks with a passion and I never even played FF as a kid and I think that its a real testament to the artist (don't know who it was) when you can still listen to tracks like this even today and despite the lack of "real" instruments they can still sound amazing.

I'm actually disappointed that these tracks weren't accompanied by some Final Fantasy music from the Dissidia series or even just remixes of the original songs. Putting in two original songs by themselves is incredibly lazy in this case when a series has such a long history of amazing music. You can't even argue that there might have been copyright barriers or royalties required since they're all owned by Square and have been reused many times over the years.

This would have been the perfect opportunity to include references to other Final Fantasy games while having Final Fantasy 7 be at the forefront as the fans wanted, but I guess not.

At least Cloud's logo isn't lazy and out of place, right? (Seriously, why isn't this an icon instead of text? A moogle shadow or something..)

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm actually disappointed that these tracks weren't accompanied by some Final Fantasy music from the Dissidia series or even just remixes of the original songs. Putting in two original songs by themselves is incredibly lazy in this case when a series has such a long history of amazing music. You can't even argue that there might have been copyright barriers or royalties required since they're all owned by Square and have been reused many times over the years.

This would have been the perfect opportunity to include references to other Final Fantasy games while having Final Fantasy 7 be at the forefront as the fans wanted, but I guess not.

At least Cloud's logo isn't lazy and out of place, right? (Seriously, why isn't this an icon instead of text? A moogle shadow or something..)

True, i'm just saying that i'm pretty dang happy that we got these songs (two of my favorite themes from the game) and while having more tracks would've been nice, i'm perfectly okay with the two they chose. That said, they definitely missed an opportunity to put some KH music in here. Seriously, how great would it have been to beat the snot out of each other while rocking out to dismiss or rage awakened?

I don't mind Corrin's inclusion on the basis that they actually look fun to use and very different from the Marth family... but it's a character I'm likely to never have any special attachment for since I have no plans of playing FE Fates.

Corrin is at least unique unlike Marth, Girl Marth and Red haired Marth. Too bad Lucina couldn't have her attack moves in Project X Zone 2.

Now Corrin is kinda funny, a lot of the FE community hate him/her, mainly due to how the character is handled during Fates story, especially during the Nohr campaign which they come off as a freaking whiny, stupid tool, not everyone is harshing Corrin for being a sword user, but for them being a pathetic protagonist amongst the FE heroes. I don't know if they'll be handled better in the Western version or not.

Also kinda funny Corrin thinks he can handle the other FE fighters.......when Marth, Lucina, and Roy all wield Dragon Slaying weapons, mwahahahahaha!!!!!

Also I noticed they censored Female Corrin a little bit, her exposed thighs are blacked out.

Edited by Dantemustdie00

Yeah, the "FF" is still just weird to me. It looks so plain compared to the diverse symbols of the rest of the cast (and even Ryu's "SF"). I still think they should've just used the meteor, with it being part of the game's logo and all:

Meteor_Logo_Art.jpg

One could argue that the "FF" serves as a general Final Fantasy symbol, but Cloud's section in the trophy gallery says "FINAL FANTASY VII" for the series, so there's no reason why they couldn't use something else if they're being specific.

Speaking of trophies, Cloud is also the only DLC newcomer to not have any trophies besides the actual fighter-related ones on either version. The "Appears In" section also doesn't reference the Theatrhythm games, which would've been a perfect way to connect him to Nintendo.

Not to mention the sparse selection of music on Midgar like you said. I hate to be so nitpicky because Cloud himself is awesome to play as, but there are definitely a lot of missed opportunities with his inclusion, and this is coming from someone who's never played a Final Fantasy game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah I'm a little surprised by how... half-assed? Cloud's inclusion seems to be. Cloud himself is great to use, and Midgar is a pretty stage, but we only got two non-remixes for the series, no costumes other than the Chocobo, and no other trophies. It feels like the absolute bare minimum of content compared to what we got alongside Ryu. It's not a huge complaint of mine but it is pretty noticeable

• Thumbs Up 6

but on Wii U, with the gorgeous detailed visuals, it just doesn't fit.

I'm one of many who'll come to disagree with that notion. FFVII's soundtrack is timeless enough with its symphosizer and those two tunes in particular have a special iconic ring to them that make them feel right at home there. Still doesn't excuse the lack of other tracks and remixes though.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah I'm a little surprised by how... half-assed? Cloud's inclusion seems to be. Cloud himself is great to use, and Midgar is a pretty stage, but we only got two non-remixes for the series, no costumes other than the Chocobo, and no other trophies. It feels like the absolute bare minimum of content compared to what we got alongside Ryu. It's not a huge complaint of mine but it is pretty noticeable

I don't think its half-assed. I think its just Square Enix being so hardass they only allowed very little to be used and were extremely strict with what could be done with him. I'd not be shocked at all if Cloud doesn't return in future Smash titles and his amiibo barely gets any use beyond Smash.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's also weird that they didn't bother to get his English voice actor. This is also a personal opinion mostly but some of his animations look really....rough. I get the feeling he was rushed out for the sake of having something out there for the holiday season.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was reluctant to use the term half-assed which is why I added a question mark to it but I couldn't think of anything else to describe it at the time lol. I don't blame Sakurai for it and I know that Square-Enix is being dumb about it in the same way Sega was with Sonic's musical representation

Regardless of the expectations people had, I am satisfied with the conclusion of Smash DLC.

It's obvious to me that they're not gonna play all their cards at once anyways, they're saving some for a possible next Smash. Companies avoid making a literally definitive product so they can expand on things. It's why GameFreak hasn't made a Pokemon game with all the regions and mechanics (like contests, fashion and Pokemon following you).

I kind of expect them to make a "Smash For NX" built off "Smash for Wii U/3DS" that has the initial roster+the DLC roster as the base roster (except maybe some third parties due to rights issues), plus stuff like Ice Climbers, Wolf, and newcomers people expected for the ballot but Nintendo decided to save it for the next game, like the Inklings (and maybe K Rool). It would automatically print money and it'd be the fastest/easiest way to expand on what they accomplished this time around.

But I'm not saying "this is what definitely will happen", it's just "what I think might happen". I could be entirely wrong. All I know is, despite not really getting a character I cared about, I'm pleasantly surprised by what we got, and I for one am thankful that Sakurai spilled his blood, sweat and tears to make this the most memorable Smash experience in terms of its expansive roster of characters, music and stages.

The only thing I find lacking in Smash 4 is its singleplayer content, which is too bad, since it's mostly what I care about playing since I'm ass at Smash and all my friends are better than me and I get salty from losing easily. I do hope Sakurai takes a break after Corrin and Bayonetta come out, he deserves it. His wrist needs to rest.

Edited by Shade Vortex
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've been looking at the Corrin trailer and something caught my eye: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMvgKqMWAlg&t=1m22s

The Dragon Fang he uses on Link later a scene later uses the exact same animation as he does on WFT. But against WFT, Corrin has the telltale sparkle to indicate a Smash has been activated, but then the Omega Yato is used before Dragon Fang is.

vwqtr.gif

The Dragon Fang even sparkles during the carving. Smash Attacks do this during charge phases.

......Corrin actually has a hitbox during the charge phase of Fsmash. There's just no other explanation.

Edited by -Robin-
  • Thumbs Up 5

The only thing I find lacking in Smash 4 is its singleplayer content, which is too bad, since it's mostly what I care about playing since I'm ass at Smash and all my friends are better than me and I get salty from losing easily. I do hope Sakurai takes a break after Corrin and Bayonetta come out, he deserves it. His wrist needs to rest.

This is... my biggest problem with the game. That and there's only one new character I feel like playing. I thought that would be enough, because it is Smash, but its not. Marth isn't satisfying for me to play as anymore, there's not enough single player to keep me going and I don't have a good enough internet connection to do online.

I'm glad Bayo has normal proportions, girl normally has legs that go on forever, not that was a bad thing or anything, lol.

Edited by Dantemustdie00

I also forgot to say, the way they handled the extra characters on the 3DS character select screen is just horrific.  It would've been so much smoother to simply to axe one row and replace it with a vertical column with arrows on it.  Hover over that column and the screen quickly pans to the right revealing two more vertical rows of characters, and moving that arrow column to the left of the screen for scrolling back.

I will say my only gripe with this Smash is how... imperfect it all is.  Sonic's inclusion in Brawl did have some elements that made it obvious he was added late in development, but ALL of Smash 4's extra content feels "tacked on".  The way some old stages suddenly become the only ones to reuse music from others, Cloud's slapdash insertion, lack of custom moves on all DLC characters, the ups and downs of the soundtrack in terms of some franchises being treated great and some boringly, the way some franchises only got returning stages...

Everything in the first three games felt consise and complete, whereas 4 has so much great but also this feeling of weird "gaps" in everything that is there.  Such a shame.

• Thumbs Up 3

One of my gripes is how mario maker is the only new stand alone stage. Every other stand alone stage is a returning stage which we got enough of them already.

Speaking of stages, Sakurai said what they have shown were the last characters and costumes, but I didn't hear anything about stages, so hopefully we can get a few more. Past stages are perfectly fine by me. Corneria and Brinstar at least would be nice.

Speaking of stages, Sakurai said what they have shown were the last characters and costumes, but I didn't hear anything about stages, so hopefully we can get a few more. Past stages are perfectly fine by me. Corneria and Brinstar at least would be nice.

He did say a while back though (like, around the time Mewtwo was coming out) there will be likely only "a few" more stages.  If we consider Miiverse, Suzaku Castle, Super Mario Maker, Midgar, Umbra Clock Tower, and of course to a lesser extent, all the additional past stages, we've most definitely recieved "a few".

I'd love more stages, they actually interest me more than characters since I'm a "set in my ways" sorta guy when it comes to character choice 90% of the time and very much a "for fun" type that prefers to play on non-Omega stages, but I'm keeping my hopes very VERY low.

• Thumbs Up 2

I kinda wanted a stage that took place atop the G.U.N Truck from SA2/Generations. That seemed like a fun idea.

Realistically I wanted a Nintendo Land stage. That would've been amazing.

Smash 4 does a lot of things right and, like I said before, has hands down the best character roster of any fighting game out there. But the things it does wrong, or rather don't quite work are single player content (no Adventure mode is a real bummer), stage gimmicks, that bloody Smash Tour thing and odd selection of music. I also think Cloud is the way he is because SE, like Sega, were just being strict, though having no English voice for Cloud is very strange. 

Also, bit of a nitpick but why why WHY didn't Sakurai put Fountain of Dreams from Melee in the game as a returning stage? Would've looked fucking gorgeous in HD but instead he chooses boring Halberd and meh Whispy Woods! Speaking of Kirby, no Epic Yarn references anywhere was really odd too considering it's one of Kirby's bestselling games. O_o

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd imagine why the extra content of Smash feels tacked on was because everything was made from the ground up? I'd imagine it would take more time and budget and negotiations in the case of the third party characters to get things like remixes, stage gimmicks, and custom moves for all 8 of the DLC characters. The Direct did mention simply making the characters took a lot of work to implement.

• Thumbs Up 1