Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Brawl was a slower based game and featured a plague of bad design choices.

Smash Bros U is much faster by going closer to Melee and seems to remove many of the bad design choices such as slipping.

I think you mean Tripping bro smile.png .

I hope there are actually physics in this one. I hated how in Brawl there was no momentum from a running jump and heavy characters like Bowser got knocked around and hurt just as much as lighter ones like Pit.

Yeah, but I don't think they should take final smashes into account when trying to balance a character as whole.

And back on the topic of a second Metroid rep, I don't think any of the Prime: Hunters characters are iconic or relevant enough to the series to become fully fledged characters in Smash Bros.

I didn't even know who Marth, Roy, Ike or Ness were when I first played the game. Even then I would never call them 'iconic' Nintendo characters, despite their longer history

Yeah, Final Smashes were way too easy to get if you were a character like Sonic or Wario. It usually came down to who had fastest/strongest air attacks or air-speed, and everyone was working toward an unequal goal. Kirby's Final Smash, as I explained before, is complete shit, while characters like Sonic or Wolf have amazing ones.

I still like the Final Smash mechanic overall, I just think it needs balancing. It'd also be nice if you could set item rarity individually because I don't want it to show up as much as it did in Brawl.

I didn't even know who Marth, Roy, Ike or Ness were when I first played the game. Even then I would never call them 'iconic' Nintendo characters, despite their longer history

People knew who they were in Japan, though. It's kinda why they were originally going to be Japan-only characters.

But besides that, even if they weren't iconic, comparing the Fire Emblem crew to the Prime Hunters characters isn't really appropriate. Metroid is already well-represented in Smash Bros, but if Marth or Roy weren't put in Melee, Fire Emblem wouldn't be represented at all.

Yeah me neither but they're still the main characters of their respective series. Noxus, not so much.

Yeah me neither but they're still the main characters of their respective series. Noxus, not so much.

Yeah I know, but there isn't much other choices from the Metroid games unfortunately :/

We're obviously not going to get Kraid, Ridley or Motherbrain and SA-X and Dark Samus seem to be a no no over a similar look, more so for SA-X.

I suppose we could have: A galactic Federation Soldier? A Chozo? A Space Pirate? Adam :U ?

Yeah I know, but there isn't much other choices from the Metroid games unfortunately :/

And this begs the question: do we really need another Metroid rep to begin with? Why is having one playable character not enough when we're basically scraping the bottom of the barrel coming up with others? I understand Ridley, despite thinking he'd be harder to implement than people say, but a series shouldn't get more characters just for the sake of it.

Edited by Solly
  • Thumbs Up 6

If there aren't any more characters that are significant and recognisable then one character is fine, Samus is really the only recurring character in the entire series.

Samus is good enough as the only Metroid rep because she's as powerful as 4-5 powerful characters to begin with.

Mario-Luigi-Peach-Bowser-Yoshi-Wario-DK-Diddy

Link-Zelda-Ganon-YLink

Samus

All 3 series' are evenly matched. cool.png

I still stand by Anthony Higgs for SSB4.

A Federation soldier who is willing to take on Ridley with nothing but his long-time-to-load gun, one of, if not the only one of, Samus's living friends, he has no Chozo technology to back him up, he's pretty much the Badass Normal of the Metroid series, really.

Everyone would be sure to Remember Him.

Y'know, when I first saw Ridley in the opening cinematic for Melee, I thought for sure that he was playable in the game.

SamusvsRidley.jpg

Long story short: I was disappoint.

• Thumbs Up 2

Samus is good enough as the only Metroid rep because she's as powerful as 4-5 powerful characters to begin with.

Mario-Luigi-Peach-Bowser-Yoshi-Wario-DK-Diddy

Link-Zelda-Ganon-YLink

Samus

All 3 series' are evenly matched. cool.png

However froma legacy perspective, every one of the core francises have had a character added since the first game EXCEPT metroid, and it has as much as a heritage as them and does deserve one, I mean just look at it this way

by entry:

(SMB):1)Mario, Luigi, DK, Yoshi; 2)+Bowser, Peach, Dr Mario 3)+Diddy

(LOZ): 1)Link 2)+Zelda/sheik, YL, Ganondorf; 3)+TL

(K):1)Kirby;3)Dedede, Meta-Knight

(EB)1)Ness2)Roy3)Lucas

(PK)1)Jigglypuff, Picachu; 2)Pichu, Mewtwo;3) Trainer, Lucario

(SF)1)Fox; 2)Falco; 3) Wolf

other than F-zero with Captian Falcon, Metroid is the only francise that appeared in the original SSB that still only has one representive, and has had games since the early 2000's(sorry falcon), if any francise that has been int he series this long deserves an expansion, that is metroid, now who shouooold it be? thats another question entirely, however there are a number of options, some that are unique, some that are iconic, and some that are not so much. a couple of feasable options would be

Ridley(actualy his original form in Metroid was much smaller, his size has been a little flexible over the years)

Mini-Kriad(almost identical to its bigger cousin, cept only has 2 belly spikes)

Mother Brain Android(would be very iconic, but kinda creepy and way to big)

Dark Samus(has a good moveset, but still looks too close to samus to appear to be much more than a clone)

Bounty hunter(any number of these have shown up with unique movets, but arent overly iconic)

Space pirate(though only way to make one powerful enough would proably be to make it Weavel the bounty hunter one)

Or a federation solider

Its not just a matter of power, but representation, and metroid does have the prestige and legacy to get one

• Thumbs Up 1

The odd thing about this is that Star Fox has gained a new character in every title so far, and yet Star Fox's last game was Star Fox Command. Metroid is much, much more expansive. If they can make Ridley work, than he'd probably be the best addition from Metroid. The main problem with Metroid though is a lack of iconic characters for the series. Samus and Ridley are really the only major recurring characters.

Even Zelda has more recurring characters. Though I will argue the notion of Zelda getting a new character in Brawl. Toon Link is nothing more than a redesigned, updated Young Link.

Wait, what lol? Roy in EB? Isn't the fact that Roy is sitting next to Marth plus he has the EXACT SAME SYMBOL as Marth enough to tell you that he's from the same series as Marth?

Mother is actually worse off than Star Fox in regards to how many games there have been and how major overall it is for Nintendo as a whole. Earthbound is generally considered a good game, but I doubt that most people who saw him in Smash Bros. knew who he was at all. I for one saw him and was wondering who the heck this guy was. Same goes for Fire Emblem in Melee of course, but for different reasons.

Captain Falcon, same thing (actually I mistook him for Falco at first when I heard the name, then I saw him and I was like; "wait, that's not Falco!). As for Captain Falcon, I believe the F-Zero games aren't quite as old as Metroid, and there aren't as many games either, kinda like Earthbound. I could see F-Zero getting one new character as well, since Captain Falcon has been around since the very first title.

Its not just a matter of power, but representation, and metroid does have the prestige and legacy to get one

But it doesn't have a wealth of usable characters to warrant it. Series like Mario, Zelda, Kirby and Pokemon all got more representation over the years because they actually have a lot to choose from. They weren't added because they were from big series and therefore deserved it, they were added because the characters, individually, actually added something to Smash Bros besides a higher character count (Well, excluding Ganondorf). 

Besides Ridley, who is a too big, important recurring character, all of those suggestions look like they were pulled out of a hat. 

To be honest if anyone honestly thinks Metroid being around for a long time in any way factors into whether another character from the series will appear, they need to re-read everything Sakurai has said about the three newcomers so far, and how they pick what characters to put in the game.

What would Ridley add to the gameplay?  Like just think about it.  We have a speedy but heavy hitter in Donkey Kong.  We have a general heavy hitter in Bowser.  We have a flying heavy hitter in King Dedede and Charizard.

I'm not asking in a mean way as if there's no answer, I'm just saying it's something more interesting to think about than whether Ridley is popular or famous enough.

I admit, obviously popularity factors into it a bit, but still.

• Thumbs Up 2

To be honest if anyone honestly thinks Metroid being around for a long time in any way factors into whether another character from the series will appear, they need to re-read everything Sakurai has said about the three newcomers so far, and how they pick what characters to put in the game.

What would Ridley add to the gameplay?  Like just think about it.  We have a speedy but heavy hitter in Donkey Kong.  We have a general heavy hitter in Bowser.  We have a flying heavy hitter in King Dedede and Charizard.

I'm not asking in a mean way as if there's no answer, I'm just saying it's something more interesting to think about than whether Ridley is popular or famous enough.

I admit, obviously popularity factors into it a bit, but still.

In Melee, what did Ganondorf bring to the Gameplay? Nothing unique as he was a Captain Falcon Clone (but slower).

In Melee, what did Falco bring to the Gameplay? Nothing as he was a Fox Clone.

In Melee, what did Young Link bring to the Gameplay? Nothing as he was a Link clone (but smaller).

In Brawl, what did Wolf bring to the Gameplay? Nothing as he was a Fox & Falco clone.

I'm not gonna mention any more. It's Obvious every character style has been used up with every other fighter, but I'm sure Ridley could bring a unique moveset if done correctly. I personally would rather see Kraid, pressed to roughly the same size as Bowser (a little taller if it's allowed). I mean, a creature with a projectile weapon as well as claws? Bowser and DK surely can't compete.

• Thumbs Up 1

In Melee, what did Ganondorf bring to the Gameplay? Nothing unique as he was a Captain Falcon Clone (but slower).

In Melee, what did Young Link bring to the Gameplay? Nothing as he was a Link clone (but smaller).

In Brawl, what did Wolf bring to the Gameplay? Nothing as he was a Fox & Falco clone.

I'm not gonna mention any more. It's Obvious every character style has been used up with every other fighter, but I'm sure Ridley could bring a unique moveset if done correctly. I personally would rather see Kraid, pressed to roughly the same size as Bowser (a little taller if it's allowed). I mean, a creature with a projectile weapon as well as claws? Bowser and DK surely can't compete.

ok, sorry I mixed up a little, but melee did get 2 earthbound characters did it not?(also my internet has been crappy and I couldnt double check, give me a break)

also scott, I think mini-Kriad would be acceptable over kriad himself, as he is similar, but around bowser sized, though has similar attacks

Fake_Kraid.png

Also sweecrue, Ridley was also in the original SSB intro if I remember correctly

• Thumbs Up 1

melee did get 2 earthbound characters did it not?

Nope. There was Ness, and that was it. We didn't get a second one (Lucas) until Brawl. Unless you count the Mr. Saturn item as a character.

Also sweecrue, Ridley was also in the original SSB intro if I remember correctly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIwWCioBpEM

Wrong again.

Edited by Blacklightning

I don't know how anyone can seriously suggest the characters from Metroid Prime: Hunters with a straight face. The game couldn't be more removed from anything Metroid if it tried, what worth would there be in having a rep from what is the most obscure, and one of the more dismal, games in the series? It being a subgame for a subseries at that, further burying it from general awareness of its existence?

• Thumbs Up 4

The only Hunters character I can see maybe working is Sylux, if that maybe-cameo at the end of Prime 3 was actually him/her and if someone at Retro honestly had a big plan for the character that might eventually see light someday, so s/he'd work in a Pit-in-Brawl kind of way.

I adore Metroid, but there really isn't anyone who'd feel right being the second character to Samus. The only possibilities either don't make much sense for Smash (Mother Brain and Ridley are too big, Dark Samus is Dark Samus, as much as I love her) or are really too minor to justify including. Metroid's a franchise that'd benefit from more bosses in singleplayer and more stages, but probably not any more characters. I'd rather see another, unrepresented series get a spot than see it go to Spire or Mini-Kraid or whatever.

Speaking of Final Smashes, it was insanely easy to get it as Lucas, since his PK Thunder makes consecutive hits and all.

Now here is a guy who somewhat sees what I am saying, while yes mini-Kraid isnt as iconic himself, ti would be as close as you can get without having to worry about size issues, as hes already bowser size(perhaps slightly taller).

The advantage is that he would bring a heavy ranged character into play(much as Samus herself is a medium ranged) he would have his damaging close in claw attacks of course, but he could also have the ranged claw throw with an arc trajectory, or a charged belly spike launch in a straight line. Now I am all for other francises being represented, but this is an option as well, we just have to wait and see

• Thumbs Up 1

For the first three what they offered as a whole was a bulked up roster.  They're characters that would've received no representation in Melee otherwise, since there wouldn't have been enough time to develop them as individual characters (as been said previous, the time taken to develop the 6 Melee clones would've only been enough time to develop one new character [namely Dedede] from scratch).  If Roy wasn't a clone for example, he would've had no representation and very few people would even give a shit about him.  After all, he's from a Japan exclusive FE title (he's a character who gained at least 95% of his popularity from Smash).  Then comes the element of the character being generally satisfying or fun to play.  I, for example, would take Melee Ganon over Brawl Ganon any day simply because the former is significantly more satisfying to play and I don't feel like I'm crippling myself using him.  Of course, fun is something entirely subjective (hence why people enjoy playing different characters at all).  Furthermore Falco, Doc and Ganon are all pretty prevalent in competitive play (Falco in particular).  One simply cannot make the sweeping generalisation of "this character adds nothing to the metagame" when some of these said characters helped sculpt Melee's competitive metagame into what it is.  

For Wolf, I'm sorry but that's complete bullshit.  Whilst yes, Wolf is a clone by definition since his initial development basis is indeed Fox (as evidenced by stuff like item animations being identical) but literally Wolf's entire normal moveset is different to Fox's, and despite his specials sharing similar/the same names they feel different enough to compliment Wolf's playstyle.  One cannot approach playing Wolf the same way as they play Fox.  They have such vastly different physics and playstyles and consequently to say that Wolf adds nothing to the game simply because he was initially built upon Fox is flat out wrong.  That would almost be like saying Ike is a clone of Marth because they share a Counter.  If you wanted to bring up a better example for your case you should've used Toon Link as he's the most 'clone like' of the characters in Brawl.

Ugh sorry I just hate this generalisation of clones adding nothing to the game and think it needs to die.  Yes we all like to see unique characters, but for the sake of saving development time and resources as well as allowing for additional character representation I personally cannot really object too much to clones, especially if the character is still fun to play nonetheless.

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m
  • Thumbs Up 5