Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Bartz... Hm... Unfortunately I can't remember who that is. I have both Disiddia games too. Was he the copycat character?

I'm glad they went with Cloud though since he's really fun to play as.

• Thumbs Up 2

I understand wanting to maintain the integrity of Smash by keeping things Nintendo-related but you really can't deny Cloud's instantly recognizable factor completely out shadows any other FF character. FFVII sold around 9 million copies and is the best selling numbered entry in the series. It's been parodied in robot chicken and the like and was for a lot of people their first jrpg. I really think an FFV character would be a bad idea, it's super niche due to the delayed western release. FFVI would've been the only other one to make since and Terra could've been fun but its hard to imagine her sitting comfortably aside icons like Ryu or Mega Man. If we're going to have third parties in smash then they should be huge icons. The whole point of adding third parties is for hype and I have a difficult time believing Terra would've brought it like Cloud. I mean just look at  reaction videos for FFVII remake, the game and Cloud just have hype written all over them. Honestly I've wanted Cloud since Sonic was revealed but never thought it would happen (I didn't even vote for him). Also I think Crono would be better representation of SNES era square soft than either Terra or Bartz had they gone that route.

I like the idea of Sora being in smash. I believe Disney owns that copyright rather than SE so who knows if that would ever happen. If he did though I'd prefer they keep things to the original Kingdom Hearts content in terms of music, stages, and trophies rather than putting in disney stuff in there. World that Never Was stage on sky scrapers with the heart moon and a remix of the other promise would be awesome for smash 5!

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Toa Axis said:

I still have a hard time believing that he actually made it in. All this time as a joke character selection really dulled expectations in a good way. 

We also don't know that it's not coming on a Nintendo console. The NX is still shrouded in mystery...

As someone who was part of the Cloud Strife voting campaign team, I can assure you he had quite a backing to boot!

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Ether Penguin said:

I understand wanting to maintain the integrity of Smash by keeping things Nintendo-related but you really can't deny Cloud's instantly recognizable factor completely out shadows any other FF character. FFVII sold around 9 million copies and is the best selling numbered entry in the series. It's been parodied in robot chicken and the like and was for a lot of people their first jrpg. I really think an FFV character would be a bad idea, it's super niche due to the delayed western release. FFVI would've been the only other one to make since and Terra could've been fun but its hard to imagine her sitting comfortably aside icons like Ryu or Mega Man. If we're going to have third parties in smash then they should be huge icons. The whole point of adding third parties is for hype and I have a difficult time believing Terra would've brought it like Cloud. I mean just look at  reaction videos for FFVII remake, the game and Cloud just have hype written all over them. Honestly I've wanted Cloud since Sonic was revealed but never thought it would happen (I didn't even vote for him). Also I think Crono would be better representation of SNES era square soft than either Terra or Bartz had they gone that route.

I like the idea of Sora being in smash. I believe Disney owns that copyright rather than SE so who knows if that would ever happen. If he did though I'd prefer they keep things to the original Kingdom Hearts content in terms of music, stages, and trophies rather than putting in disney stuff in there. World that Never Was stage on sky scrapers with the heart moon and a remix of the other promise would be awesome for smash 5!

I'd rather Twilight Town or Radiant Garden was used. Or Traverse Town even. Those seem like much more iconic locales to me. They'd definitely have to stick to original stuff. I'm not sure if they'd use music from the original games, or KH3 tbh. I'm pretty confident they'd use Sora's KH3 design if he were to get in.

5 hours ago, Ether Penguin said:

I'd rather Twilight Town or Radiant Garden was used. Or Traverse Town even. Those seem like much more iconic locales to me. They'd definitely have to stick to original stuff. I'm not sure if they'd use music from the original games, or KH3 tbh. I'm pretty confident they'd use Sora's KH3 design if he were to get in.

Heh,  who wouldn't be on Cloud 9 whenever Ridley joins your side? 

"This time, during Cloud’s development, I didn’t have any instructions like “he needs to be like this, he can’t be like this.” That saved us a lot of trouble. "

Wonder what characters could have POSSIBLY had such restrictions placed upon them hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, JezMM said:

Wonder what characters could have POSSIBLY had such restrictions placed upon them hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Heh, ironically Solid Snake comes to mind. It was actually on Kojima's request that he not use typical firearms.

Kojima was the one to say no to the Firearms? I thought that was Sakurai who decided that?

I mean I wanted Advance War's Sami as a character in place of Snake for a war veteran character, but I wasn't sure if Sakurai would allow her to use guns and rifles.....well not until Bayonetta's reveal anyway.

I thought the restriction on snake was that they couldn't use realistic weapons? save for the homing rocket launcher, mines, and grenade launcher which in a way are pretty cartoony and video game-ish.

Just now, goku262002 said:

I thought the restriction on snake was that they couldn't use realistic weapons?

Well yeah, hence the term: "typical firearms".

Always thought the Snake can't use guns thing came via nintendo/ratings boards, tbh I like the Brawl iteration of snake a lot, and I think setting a restriction like that made them come up with a lot of really creative ideas. The goofy bombs captures the quirky nature of MGS

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah, I honestly think forcing him to not use typical firearms really helped with making Snake's moveset a lot more creative and interesting. Shame he wasn't able to return, but once again, fuck Konami.

• Thumbs Up 6

It's pretty easy to say in hindsight how much good the explosive-focused moveset did for Snake, and I don't really disagree, but for some reason I always pictured him at least using a SOCOM on top of all that in my head. That being said, for whatever reason the gun rule seems to have loosened up somewhat now that Bayonetta's using her Scarborough Fairs / Love is Blues unconditionally.

Also someone brought this up on another board and I kinda have to agree - it's kind of a shame that the DLC packs haven't introduced any Assist Trophies of any kind to cover the somewhat more obscure picks. Would've loved to see a Moogle, for example.

I was just writing this as that was posted. :P I guess it ties into it, at least.

For the longest time I'd felt that if there were another game in this series, it would have to be a new one altogether like the ones before it. But lately, though, I've been more and more open to the idea of a "complete edition" of this game being released on the NX like some have been suggesting. I realized that I kind of like where the series already is in terms of visuals and gameplay, and outside of upping the resolution, I'm not sure if either style really needs a large enough overhaul to warrant an entirely new installment. I don't think I'd mind just having the best of both versions of Smash 4 with some nice extras all in one complete package.

This would be my pipe dream wishlist of what I'd want to see:

• All DLC included.
  • All 3DS-exclusive stages and trophies included.
  • A new Adventure Mode and/or Target Smash; honestly, just a platforming-based mode in general.
  • Smash Run included-- either as a single-player mode with CPUs or possibly an online mode.
  • More cohesive treatment of (former) DLC-- custom moves for characters, stages not being housed in an "extra" page, characters being grouped with their series on the character select screen, new trophy boxes, etc.
  • Ice Climbers and Wolf brought back as a special bonus, bringing the roster number to an even 60.

If it fulfilled all of those, I think I'd actually be content with getting a remaster over a new game.

What would you guys want to see in a Smash 4 "complete edition"?

23 minutes ago, Metal Mario said:

I was just writing this as that was posted. :P I guess it ties into it, at least.

For the longest time I'd felt that if there were another game in this series, it would have to be a new one altogether like the ones before it. But lately, though, I've been more and more open to the idea of a "complete edition" of this game being released on the NX like some have been suggesting. I realized that I kind of like where the series already is in terms of visuals and gameplay, and outside of upping the resolution, I'm not sure if either style really needs a large enough overhaul to warrant an entirely new installment. I don't think I'd mind just having the best of both versions of Smash 4 with some nice extras all in one complete package.

This would be my pipe dream wishlist of what I'd want to see:

• All DLC included.
  • All 3DS-exclusive stages and trophies included.
  • A new Adventure Mode and/or Target Smash; honestly, just a platforming-based mode in general.
  • Smash Run included-- either as a single-player mode with CPUs or possibly an online mode.
  • More cohesive treatment of (former) DLC-- custom moves for characters, stages not being housed in an "extra" page, characters being grouped with their series on the character select screen, new trophy boxes, etc.
  • Ice Climbers and Wolf brought back as a special bonus, bringing the roster number to an even 60.

If it fulfilled all of those, I think I'd actually be content with getting a remaster over a new game.

What would you guys want to see in a Smash 4 "complete edition"?

I guess you're too slow, then.

And heck yeah, I'd want all that! I'd even buy it if Wolf was included! He should be easy to include into the game right, provided this rumor turns out to be real?

If anything,  I'd want at the very least,  a story mode. At least with cutscenes on par with how Subspace Emissary handled its story and with ALL the characters,  yes even the DLC ones interacting please. 

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Flamerstreak said:

I guess you're too slow, then.

Man, looks like I need to step it up!

And heck yeah, I'd want all that! I'd even buy it if Wolf was included! He should be easy to include into the game right, provided this rumor turns out to be real?

Absolutely. He has no technical or licensing restrictions that I know of. The only thing they'd have to do is update his voice clips to use his Star Fox 64 3D voice, but that shouldn't be too hard if they managed to get Roy's original voice actor back. I also included Ice Climbers because they were already considered before and now wouldn't have to work on a portable version (I could've sworn I read somewhere that they already worked fine on Wii U).

If that rumor is true, a remaster actually sounds more likely at the moment if it's a launch title. I doubt a whole new game would be made so soon after the final DLC for the current one is released.

Just now, Metal Mario said:

Man, looks like I need to step it up!

Absolutely. He has no technical or licensing restrictions that I know of. The only thing they'd have to do is update his voice clips to use his Star Fox 64 3D voice, but that shouldn't be too hard if they managed to get Roy's original voice actor back. I also included Ice Climbers because they were already considered before and now wouldn't have to work on a portable version (I could've sworn I read somewhere that they already worked fine on Wii U).

If that rumor is true, a remaster actually sounds more likely at the moment if it's a launch title. I doubt a whole new game would be made so soon after the final DLC for the current one is released.

I doubt that, too. I'd say we'll see whether this is true or not at E3, since they'll be announcing the NX by then, don'tcha think?

I'd think they'd have something added to the NX version as incentive for people to upgrade. I mean why would I want to upgrade to the NX version if I had the Wii U one?

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, if they're making a Smash Bros as a launch title on the NX then I would think that it would be an original title that's new instead of just clumping together all of Smash 4's stuff for another full priced sale.

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I'd think they'd have something added to the NX version as incentive for people to upgrade. I mean why would I want to upgrade to the NX version if I had the Wii U one?

They'd have to do something new. They just can't make it overall the same as the Wii U version. They have to have something to attract people.

Aside from that, in regards to the rumor, I want to say something. I remember there being a "report" on Namco Bandai making a Smash 6 game in 2014, and the report said the game would be released 2015. Of course, there was none, but if anything, I'd guess that the reason why the game was not released was because they were working on DLC. But, if this rumor and that little report were both true at the same time, then they may have been planning this for some time. I could be wrong, but I guess we'll see what happens at E3 this year, or at least the officials debunk this.

If it's a launch title, a Smash 4 port with added features/content will be what it is, not a whole new game, it's been far too short a time for a new title, and the devs have been working on DLC content all this time.

Then again, I don't forsee an absolutely ground-up brand new Smash on NX at all anytime soon, but rather expansions to Smash 4 in larger packs released over time. Keep in mind that the NX is apparently going to cross-compatible and forwards-compatible. Smash 4's core gameplay hasn't actually changed much at all from Brawl, just tweaked, and is probably the perfect balance between Melee and Brawl we're gonna get at this point. There's no need to reinvent the wheel for a good while, especially if the port is also on the NX handheld, which will likely have similar (if slightly upgraded) specs to the Wii U.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Candescence said:

If it's a launch title, a Smash 4 port with added features/content will be what it is, not a whole new game, it's been far too short a time for a new title, and the devs have been working on DLC content all this time.

Then again, I don't forsee an absolutely ground-up brand new Smash on NX at all anytime soon, but rather expansions to Smash 4 in larger packs released over time. Keep in mind that the NX is apparently going to cross-compatible and forwards-compatible. Smash 4's core gameplay hasn't actually changed much at all from Brawl, just tweaked, and is probably the perfect balance between Melee and Brawl we're gonna get at this point. There's no need to reinvent the wheel for a good while, especially if the port is also on the NX handheld, which will likely have similar (if slightly upgraded) specs to the Wii U.

Yeah most likely then again it's not completely unheard of. Melee was released as a Gamecube launch title and the original came out in 1999 and Melee came out in 2001.