Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

1 minute ago, Dejimon11 said:

Yeah most likely then again it's not completely unheard of. Melee was released as a Gamecube launch title and the original came out in 1999 and Melee came out in 2001.

Very different time, very different generation. We're not gonna see a repeat of Melee's insane development cycle.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Candescence said:

If it's a launch title, a Smash 4 port with added features/content will be what it is, not a whole new game, it's been far too short a time for a new title, and the devs have been working on DLC content all this time.

Eh, I see it more as a sign that development for it has started instead of it actually being made as we speak. Development for it could take a good amount of years, like the other installments. Either that, or the rumor is just false, otherwise why even move on from the Wii U? The NX hasn't even been revealed, much less given any sort of background knowledge surrounding it's release. 

They're just about to finish DLC for Smash 4, and it was very explicitly stated that the 3ds couldn't handle as much DLC, and that and the Wii U version is supposed to have synchronized DLC content, so whatever goes on the NX port will have to be NX exclusive. There's really no reason to keep it in Smash 4's development at all. I think it would be a great idea to just move forward. 

16 minutes ago, Candescence said:

If it's a launch title, a Smash 4 port with added features/content will be what it is, not a whole new game, it's been far too short a time for a new title, and the devs have been working on DLC content all this time.

Then again, I don't forsee an absolutely ground-up brand new Smash on NX at all anytime soon, but rather expansions to Smash 4 in larger packs released over time. Keep in mind that the NX is apparently going to cross-compatible and forwards-compatible. Smash 4's core gameplay hasn't actually changed much at all from Brawl, just tweaked, and is probably the perfect balance between Melee and Brawl we're gonna get at this point. There's no need to reinvent the wheel for a good while, especially if the port is also on the NX handheld, which will likely have similar (if slightly upgraded) specs to the Wii U.

Well, I would get the Smash Bros on NX even if it was much like Smash 4. I would just like to see more characters, especially Wolf. It shouldn't be too much to ask, would it?

4 minutes ago, DBZHedgy said:

Eh, I see it more as a sign that development for it has started instead of it actually being made as we speak. Development for it could take a good amount of years, like the other installments. Either that, or the rumor is just false, otherwise why even move on from the Wii U? The NX hasn't even been revealed, much less given any sort of background knowledge surrounding it's release. 

They're just about to finish DLC for Smash 4, and it was very explicitly stated that the 3ds couldn't handle as much DLC, and that and the Wii U version is supposed to have synchronized DLC content, so whatever goes on the NX port will have to be NX exclusive. There's really no reason to keep it in Smash 4's development at all. I think it would be a great idea to just move forward. 

Everything we know about the NX points to it being released this year. If it's a launch title, that means there's far too little time for it to be a brand new game. Regardless of whether the NX version has exclusive content or not, it won't be a new game.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Candescence said:

Everything we know about the NX points to it being released this year. If it's a launch title, that means there's far too little time for it to be a brand new game. Regardless of whether the NX version has exclusive content or not, it won't be a new game.

I heard there was a report on Namco Bandai working on a Smash game after the Wii U and 3DS games. Not saying it would be a new game, but even if they were working on it for that long, if that report was true, it still couldn't be a new game? Just curious.

Well, that's actually a curious thought, if the port has been in some form of development last year, it is possible that a number of first party characters could have been shortlisted for that and 'disqualified from the ballot

Just now, Flamerstreak said:

I heard there was a report on Namco Bandai working on a Smash game after the Wii U and 3DS games. Not saying it would be a new game, but even if they were working on it for that long, if that report was true, it still couldn't be a new game? Just curious.

Honestly, a brand new title is unlikely, the timeline for that just doesn't fit. An expansion on Smash 4 is much more likely, even if they've been working since the game's release alongside the DLC. Again, a complete ground-up development cycle is extremely unlikely, and would actually be pointless.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Candescence said:

Honestly, a brand new title is unlikely, the timeline for that just doesn't fit. An expansion on Smash 4 is much more likely, even if they've been working since the game's release alongside the DLC. Again, a complete ground-up development cycle is extremely unlikely, and would actually be pointless.

Makes sense, then. I won't be expecting a new game, anyway?

4 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Well, that's actually a curious thought, if the port has been in some form of development last year, it is possible that a number of first party characters could have been shortlisted for that and 'disqualified from the ballot

What do you mean by shortlisted?

And though I could be wrong, I have a feeling this rumored port could have been in development for more than a year, or at least longer than we may think. This does not mean this could be an all new game, but there should be plenty of time to add new content to this port to make it different some from the Wii U and 3DS version. If only we knew the actual time this has been in development, provided this rumor is true.

2 minutes ago, Flamerstreak said:

Makes sense, then. I won't be expecting a new game, anyway?

What do you mean by shortlisted?

And though I could be wrong, I have a feeling this rumored port could have been in development for more than a year, or at least longer than we may think. This does not mean this could be an all new game, but there should be plenty of time to add new content to this port to make it different some from the Wii U and 3DS version. If only we knew the actual time this has been in development, provided this rumor is true.

When you make a fighting game you make a shortlist of characters, as in ones that are planned for primary development provided no problems occurred. Generally they made it past the brainstroming, the concept list, and then a final round of elimination. For example, Bowser didn't make the shortlist of Smash 64, but was a top priority on it come Melee. What I mean in this context is that they were taken out of the ballot prematurely due to long term support/interest, and a selling potential that would be solid, but perhaps have a greater pull as part of a group rather than a standalone release

1 minute ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

When you make a fighting game you make a shortlist of characters, as in ones that are planned for primary development provided no problems occurred. Generally they made it past the brainstroming, the concept list, and then a final round of elimination. For example, Bowser didn't make the shortlist of Smash 64, but was a top priority on it come Melee. What I mean in this context is that they were taken out of the ballot prematurely due to long term support/interest, and a selling potential that would be solid, but perhaps have a greater pull as part of a group rather than a standalone release.

Interesting thoughts, Mando. If this rumor turns out to be true, I hope that is the case. After all, not many ballot characters from the actual ballot DID make it into the Wii U/3DS versions of the game as DLC, and I swear they had more time to work on a few more than what we ended up getting.

1 minute ago, Flamerstreak said:

Interesting thoughts, Mando. If this rumor turns out to be true, I hope that is the case. After all, not many ballot characters from the actual ballot DID make it into the Wii U/3DS versions of the game as DLC, and I swear they had more time to work on a few more than what we ended up getting.

Actually, we have evidence of Bayonetta in the code dating back to June, and for Corrin back in September if I remember correctly, so ya, take that as you will, all the characters that were announced have been in development since well before the ballot ended

Just now, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Actually, we have evidence of Bayonetta in the code dating back to June, and for Corrin back in September if I remember correctly, so ya, take that as you will, all the characters that were announced have been in development since well before the ballot ended

My bad, then. It is still a shame we only got two characters from the ballot. Maybe the other contenders on the ballot were shortlisted as you said for this new possible port?

3 hours ago, Candescence said:

Yeah agree. Definitely doesn't make sense when they haven't even finished the DLC cycle for the current game. Smash 4 plus or something with DLC built in would be pretty sick though. Provided that NX isn't already backwards compatible in some way. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm of the camp that believes it's something like a Smash 4 Deluxe, if it's truly anything at all. Though I guess that begs the question if Smash 4 will actually continue to get support if it really does make the jump to NX.

Things that I want and that stay in the realm of realistic are:

- Wii U as base
- All DLC
- Wii U + 3DS stages and trophies
- Fan
- Smash Run
- Ice Climbers and maybe Wolf
- Fixed up Character Select scren

Unrealistic wishes:

- More events for DLC and new characters
- Melee-esque Target Smash
- A completely new character, like Inklings
- New trophies
- New (returning) stages
- Custom moves for DLC characters

To be honest, I don't really see the point of a Smash Bros 5. 4 is a fine base and they could just expand on it with DLC from now on.

2 hours ago, Remy said:

Yeah agree. Definitely doesn't make sense when they haven't even finished the DLC cycle for the current game. Smash 4 plus or something with DLC built in would be pretty sick though. Provided that NX isn't already backwards compatible in some way. 

From what we know about the NX, chances are it'll drop backwards compatibility with the Wii line in exchange for forward compatibility with future hardware. I fully expect both Splatoon and Smash 4 to get day-one re-releases with additional content, at least.

They're going to have a hard time topping Smash 4 whenever they try to do so; they certainly aren't going to manage it during the period where Smash 4 is still selling DLC.  Either it's some sort of complete edition, as everyone has said, with a few new bells and whistles, or it's something completely different like a story game or a toys-to-life game (either of which strikes me as plausible).

• Thumbs Up 1

give me the option in Smash 4 to pick which region I want to search in (maybe even west/east coast as well), lobbies and the option to see someone's connectivity before accepting a match AKA picking a character and stage and I'll buy it right away.

Give me lobbies with Splatoon with the ability to invite friends easier and im down.

A man can dream

3 hours ago, Marcello said:

- Fan

...holy shit, is it weird that I didn't even realize we don't have a paper fan in Smash 4 at all? You'd think someone would have noticed when it's been a staple since the first game. That being said I can kinda see why they got rid of it - it's retardedly easy to both stunlock and shield break with, and neither of them are particularly fun on the receiving side.

Personally for an NX port I'd just be happy with Smash Run HD. Would be nice if Smash Tour wasn't an infuriating RNG-based clusterfuck too but I wouldn't hold out hope on that getting fixed.

• Thumbs Up 2

SO  now,  in this day and age where video games are recognized as a professional sport,  ESPN have announced that they'll be broadcasting Smash events :www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/01/espn_plans_on_broadcasting_super_smash_bros_events

ESPN Plans On Broadcasting Super Smash Bros. Events

Posted 1:00pm Mon 18th Jan 2016 by Arjun Joshi

Milestone reached

Espnsmash

Some of you may be aware that major sports network ESPN has added eSports to its catalogue of broadcast types. In fact, it's created a site dedicated to the new initiative, accompanied by a Twitter account under the handle of @ESPN_Esports. Its "popular" games of coverage choice are League of Legends, Dota 2, and Hearthstone, which is the start of a tremendous step forward in exposing the competitive gaming scene and eSports on the whole - something that this writer is sure is appreciated by video game lovers around the world.

For Nintendo fanatics specifically, however, ESPN has also announced that the ever-popular Super Smash Bros. franchise will be joining its list of games in its coverage of events (although we're not certain which game(s) exactly, but Melee and Wii U are likely to be the leading candidates). It's unsurprising that if Nintendo games were to ever be considered for such a campaign, Smash would be the pick. It's a highly popular game in the competitive scene, most recently being competed in by hundreds of players from around the world in the third instalment of its own dedicated tournament, Genesis.

What do you make of ESPN including Smash in its library of eSports coverage, and would you like to see them undertake any other Nintendo games? Are you happy that video-games on the whole are increasing in exposure because of initiatives like these? As always, sound-off below..

• Thumbs Up 1

The only character I can see happening for a Smash 4 NX Deluxe & Knuckles thing would be Ice Climbers. I don't wanna ask for more solely on the basis that Sakurai needs to take a long break.

• Thumbs Up 1

Smash Bros on the NX, eh? Sounds interesting.

I personally don't hope for NX exclusive characters, as I like the idea of having the character roster be equal for all consoles. It would be cool to see modes and stages originally exclusive for the 3DS be included in the NX version, or having the DLC (at least the characters and stages) being usable from the getgo.

I don't have a lot of other ideas for what I want in this new version at the moment. Maybe I just need to know what the heck the NX will even do.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Christmas Idol Luka said:

The only character I can see happening for a Smash 4 NX Deluxe & Knuckles thing would be Ice Climbers. I don't wanna ask for more solely on the basis that Sakurai needs to take a long break.

How much work would even go into Wolf though? He's not that hard to add in, and is a reasonable  popular request. Honestly, he probably is easier to add in, and has a better chance than the Ice Climbers at this point.

@Failinhearts honestly, if the NX gets exclusive characters, it's no different than when Capcom makes a upgraded fighter game with exclusive content. Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 comes to mind. 

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

How much work would even go into Wolf though? He's not that hard to add in, and is a reasonable  popular request. Honestly, he probably is easier to add in, and has a better chance than the Ice Climbers at this point.

How? Work on Ice Climbers for Smash 4 already started. As far as we know, the same can not be said about Wolf.

5 minutes ago, Marcello said:

How? Work on Ice Climbers for Smash 4 already started. As far as we know, the same can not be said about Wolf.

How much would need to be worked on for Wolf is what I'm getting at. He probably isn't that difficult given how similar Brawl and 4 are at base in terms of characters and moves. Very little would need to be altered for him. My point is, I don't see how he's anymore unrealistic or difficult a choice, and how IC are the only realistic character that could get in.