Nintendoga

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

haaaate when I teamed up with a horrible player online. Like, if you know you suck, stay the fuck offline. Also, does anyone else get that problem when a player holds a grudge against you after a team match so when you're partnered up, they end up self-destructing out of spite?

1 hour ago, Azul said:

haaaate when I teamed up with a horrible player online. Like, if you know you suck, stay the fuck offline. Also, does anyone else get that problem when a player holds a grudge against you after a team match so when you're partnered up, they end up self-destructing out of spite?

I know how you feel. I once was teamed up with a partner who did almost absolutely nothing. That's right! He didn't even throw a punch! He just stood there. Luckily, the two members of the other team were not trouble for me. I was more than a match for both of them. Even though I did all the work, I got more KOs than I thought I would against the other team.

1 hour ago, Flamerstreak said:

I know how you feel. I once was teamed up with a partner who did almost absolutely nothing. That's right! He didn't even throw a punch! He just stood there. Luckily, the two members of the other team were not trouble for me. I was more than a match for both of them. Even though I did all the work, I got more KOs than I thought I would against the other team.

How was he not kicked off? Also, kudos for taking on two players at the same time.

9 hours ago, Azul said:

How was he not kicked off? Also, kudos for taking on two players at the same time.

Thanks. As for the question, I don't know. Maybe because I got in the way of the other two players. My partner was KOed once, though.

On 02/26/16 at 9:25 PM, Azul said:

haaaate when I teamed up with a horrible player online. Like, if you know you suck, stay the fuck offline. 

The best way to get better is by fighting online. CPUs are definitely not good for raising skills, you know.

1 hour ago, Valentine's Playa Kirito said:

The best way to get better is by fighting online. CPUs are definitely not good for raising skills, you know.

I highly disagree. I practiced with CPUs in Brawl extensively and because of that, I became a regular winner online. Can't say the same thing about Sm4sh 3DS though because of the shitty control sensitivity. It's more like 60-40 lose win-now. Most players are much easier to read and adapt to than high level CPUs because they rely too much on one repetitive tactic and once that's broken, it's like they're handing you the win. Lvl 9 CPUs, while I can adapt to eventually, maintain a level of quickness and unpredictability that's never detracted by how much they're losing while some players even straight up stop playing after they feel like they've been humiliated.

The smart thing to do would be to prepare yourself with adequate training before you go online since there can be some extremely skilled players.

8 minutes ago, Azul said:

The smart thing to do would be to prepare yourself with adequate training before you go online since there can be some extremely skilled players.

The very factor of unpredictability amongst real live players is one of the major reasons why training against CPUs isn't that reliable to begin with. 

Honestly,  regardless of how good you are,  the best way to practice is against human players,  the real deal. 

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

The very factor of unpredictability amongst real live players is one of the major reasons why training against CPUs isn't that reliable to begin with. 

Honestly,  regardless of how good you are,  the best way to practice is against human players,  the real deal. 

14 minutes ago, Azul said:

Most players are much easier to read and adapt to than high level CPUs because they rely too much on one repetitive tactic and once that's broken, it's like they're handing you the win. Lvl 9 CPUs, while I can adapt to eventually, maintain a level of quickness and unpredictability that's never detracted by how much they're losing while some players even straight up stop playing after they feel like they've been humiliated.

The human factor isn't an absolute. Not everyone is unpredictable nor do they maintain that level of acuity throughout the entire match independent from their status in the match. Regardless, practicing with people of similar or greater skill is an ideal training regimen but saying CPU training is absolutely inferior is a fallacy. 

It isn't absolutely inferior, but it stops helping after a while. I stayed at pretty much the same skill level until I went online. Fighting people who are way above you can help tremendously as well. I fought Red Cap several months ago and lost every match. Then more recently, I was able to beat him quite a few times.

I do agree that you should prepare with CPUs before going online, especially with new characters. But you won't be able to truly test your skills until you fight online/other human beings. If you lose a lot, honestly I don't think you should give up, but I suppose you can go back to fighting CPUs before trying again. (also I'm using "you" as a general term, not directing it at anyone specific)

There are also amiibo but it varies. My Shulk amiibo could beat my Sonic but not my Ness, since it fought my Sonic amiibo the whole time it trained.

-

On another note, MAN was I rusty last night. I hadn't played in several weeks and had a tough time with even predictable foes. And of course, someone complaining my Ness was "broken" when I beat them. :V Also maybe it's just me but, people generally seem nicer on For Glory Team battles than 1 on 1 matches. It's a lot more fun, provided there isn't lag.

14 minutes ago, Valentine's Playa Kirito said:

It isn't absolutely inferior, but it stops helping after a while. I stayed at pretty much the same skill level until I went online. Fighting people who are way above you can help tremendously as well...

I do agree that you should prepare with CPUs before going online, especially with new characters. But you won't be able to truly test your skills until you fight online/other human beings. If you lose a lot, honestly I don't think you should give up, but I suppose you can go back to fighting CPUs before trying again. (also I'm using "you" as a general term, not directing it at anyone specific)

Abso-fucking-lutely. Better players force you into making more efficient solutions. *Throws you a golden star.* You earned that kiddo.