Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Pardon my Zelda ignorance, but I thought Shiek was just Zelda disguised while Impa is an entirely different character? I'm confused on why Zelda would transform into someone else. Shiek makes sense (alt outfit) but a different person?

Edit: Well I guess if you replace the move and make it more of a tag team, but it still feels off.

Considering they're reusing Twilight Princess/Wii U Tech Demo Link, I have a feeling we won't see Impa or Skyward Sword Zelda.

Edited by Autosaver

To more accurately represent recent Zelda games?

We might, we might not. If we do, this is a way to go about it.

I was working under the assumption that Impa would replace Sheik.

Like Autosaver said, we're already getting Twilight Princess Link, so I'd say SS Zelda is pretty unlikely. Which would make that version of Impa a bit less likely, too.

I can see her as an Assist Trophy maybe.

To slightly change the subject, I'm a bit disappointed hat we're getting TP Link. I would have loved to see ALBW Link. SS Link would been a bit cooler, too, and that would also mean SS Zelda, who's design I loved.

It'd be a nice acknowledgement of the series' history to have every Zelda character take their design from a different game. TP Link, SS Zelda, and maybe OoT Ganondorf? That way they'd all roughly fit in with each other (sorry, Toon Ganondorf. You're still the best) and Skyward Sword would still get some representation.

Or if you wanted to keep Sheik and having SS Zelda turn into her would be too weird, you could use OoT Zelda and have classic Pig Ganon instead of Ganondorf, to represent his inevitable appearance in ALBW.

Or something.

I didn't say Zelda would TRANSFORM into Impa. I meant remove Sheik from Zelda's moveset all-together and make Impa a separate character.

Granted, I could also see Impa getting her entirely own unique moveset rather than them just replacing Sheik. However, if they plan to remove multi-characters in one, I could easily see them removing Sheik and adding Impa to replace Sheik as a separate character with a similar moveset. Of course they'd have to update Zelda significantly otherwise to compensate for the faster Sheik.

Yeah, Impa doesn't appear in Twilight Princess, but neither does Sheik. Impa is also the next-most recurring character in the series after Ganondorf, Link, and Zelda, and in both Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time Impa is a Sheikah and is very much capable of pulling off all the moves that Sheik can (considering the fact that Zelda was trained to become Sheik by Impa, it only makes logical sense).

It isn't until Skyward Sword where we see Impa's ninja attributes come out, but she also trained Zelda in Ocarina of Time, despite the fact that we don't actually see Impa performing any such moves in Ocarina of Time.

It'd be a nice acknowledgement of the series' history to have every Zelda character take their design from a different game. TP Link, SS Zelda, and maybe OoT Ganondorf? That way they'd all roughly fit in with each other (sorry, Toon Ganondorf. You're still the best) and Skyward Sword would still get some representation.

Or if you wanted to keep Sheik and having SS Zelda turn into her would be too weird, you could use OoT Zelda and have classic Pig Ganon instead of Ganondorf, to represent his inevitable appearance in ALBW.

Or something.

Only as a Final Smash or something. A Link to the Past is the first game to actually establish that Ganon was originally a human named Ganondorf and he was corrupted into his pig form. This is also his final form in Ocarina of Time, too. He was even supposed to originally have a human form in A Link to the Past (which, if I recall correctly, the concept artwork greatly resembled Ganondorf from Ocarina of Time, too), although his human form was scrapped in development of A Link to the Past.

Edited by JaidynReiman
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to see a proper Pig Ganon as Ganondorf's Final Smash no matter what, but I don't think he'd be an unreasonable choice for a regular character. Ganon's first three appearances were in that form, and in every game it appears in it's also his only form, not some kind of powerup. Well... okay, I guess it kind of was in Ocarina of Time, and maybe in Twilight Princess if you want to count the Twilit Beast thing, but still.

The (totally rad) scrapped Ganondorf art was actually from the Oracle games, though I like to think that's what Agahnim might have looked like under all the robes, provided he wasn't actually a completely different person.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, for some time now I've been thinking that the best thing to do with the Zelda characters would be to abandon the idea of basing them on specific game incarnations and just have generalized "Smash Bros." versions of the characters. That way they can build their movesets around the overall history of the characters and avoid setting off this annoying "such-and-such-Zelda never did whatever-the-heck" issue.

Regardless of that, taking on the persona of Sheik is one of the most interesting things Princess Zelda has done in the Zelda series, and it has given Zelda a fairly distinctive gimmick as a Smash Bros. fighter. I really don't think dropping the Sheik transformation could ever be a good idea. I also don't see any reason to assume that Sheik and Impa should be treated as mutually exclusive, as there's no reason to believe they couldn't be distinguished from each other.

• Thumbs Up 2

Toon Zelda could have been an interesting choice. Doesn't she have an alternate form, Tetra?

I also don't see any reason to assume that Sheik and Impa should be treated as mutually exclusive, as there's no reason to believe they couldn't be distinguished from each other.

It's certainly possible to have both and make them distinct fighters, but there's still enough overlap that I'd doubt they'd both show up, considering how careful they are with allocating spots on the roster.

I'd honestly prefer if we got another villain rep from the Zelda series instead of another hero. The villain from Skyward Sword could be used.

If any villain would appear, it'd probably be a recurring villain, not a one-off. The only character next to Ganondorf to fit that role is Vaati, really. Notably, he's also the fourth or fifth-most recurring character in the series. That depends on if Tingle appears more that Vaati (actually, I think Tingle does appear more), but despite this, Vaati is the second-most recurring villain, and he's got far more important roles than Tingle does in any of Tingle's appearances.

Of all the possible choices for a character to be added to Zelda other than alternate versions of existing characters, Impa and Vaati would be the next-best choices. Despite Skyward Sword being the most recent title, its storyline is quite obscure compared to other games in the series, and Link isn't really being based on that appearance either. Other than a stage and maybe an Assist Trophy or something, it doesn't appear that Skyward Sword will really get much recognition in this title.

Tingle had his very own game. There's no argument really that he's the next most reoccurring character after the Triforce Trio. Being the main character of a game too could arguably bump him over Vaati in terms of importance in the overall Zelda series.

Mind what Iizuka said in regards to Smash Bros. How much would he know in regards to him appearing in the game again? Is that more to do with other people within SEGA?

Mind what Iizuka said in regards to Smash Bros. How much would he know in regards to him appearing in the game again? Is that more to do with other people within SEGA?

Who exactly are you talking about?

Tingle had his very own game. There's no argument really that he's the next most reoccurring character after the Triforce Trio. Being the main character of a game too could arguably bump him over Vaati in terms of importance in the overall Zelda series.

Tingle was the main character of one game (two? I dunno), Vaati the main antagonist of three. In most of Tingle's appearances he does next-to-nothing and is just their for his Japanese fans (he has a very annoying role in Wind Waker where he charges exhorbitant prices in order to get the Triforce Pieces, but he doesn't do much other than that). Plus most of the west hates him, which is why he vanished off the face of the earth lately.

But either way, if you're looking for a recurring VILLAIN to add to the list, Vaati is the mostlikely second choice next to Ganondorf. For a heroic character, the next option would be Impa considering her role in the series, in Ocarina of Time, and in Skyward Sword. Impa has also canonically appeared since the very early games right along with the Triforce Trio (although technically, she doesn't PHYSICALLY appear in The Legend of Zelda, she is in the backstory of the game).

Despite what it may seem, Impa edges out over Tingle in overall importance to the series. Tingle hasn't appeared nearly as much as Impa has and she's always played a major role in the backstory of each game she appears in (well, she doesn't APPEAR in The Legend of Zelda, again, but she's mentioned in the manual and she even has artwork of her).

Her most important roles to date are Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword, the latter far more, and coincidentally these are the two versions of Impa that appear closest to each other in overall appearance (they're also her youngest incarnations; most other versions of Impa are a lot older). But she still has a huge history in the series.

NOTE:

Ok, I've read up a bit, and out of all main Zelda games, Impa makes more appearances than Tingle by 1. If you count Tingle's three games, he beats Impa. Despite this, Tingle's role throughout his canon Zelda games don't nearly stack up to the role that Impa plays throughout the series.

The only time he plays a role that is arguably as large as Impa's role throughout the series is in The Wind Waker, through his annoying fetch quests required to progress through the game. All of his other canon appearances are mainly just cameos. Despite this, Tingle's role in Wind Waker serves no other purpose really, and he's not important to the backstory or lore of the game at all.

Also, one of Tingle's "games" is just Balloon Fight with Tingle tacked on it.

http://www.zeldawiki.org/Impa

http://www.zeldawiki.org/Tingle

Toon Zelda could have been an interesting choice. Doesn't she have an alternate form, Tetra?
I completely agree. I would personally take her over Skyward sword Zelda. She has more potential and would be more interesting. Zelda could retain a similar move set to Brawl Zelda, while Tetra would bring something completely new to the character. I mean hello, she's a pirate! Work with that Nintendo.

I want Toon Zelda just as much as I want Toon Link or Young Link. We don't need an alternate version of Zelda, as it stands it looks like they're already going to get rid of Toon Link anyway. What we need is a better Ganondorf. If we've got a better Ganondorf, I don't care if Link or Zelda change at all, or they get rid of Toon Link and don't add any new Zelda characters. Granted, I can't see that happening; I'd expect Toon Link to be replaced by a more original character.

*claps* that right there was brilliant.

Seriously though, I don't think they will cut too many characters (though if it makes all star mode less tedious im all for it).

*claps* that right there was brilliant.

Seriously though, I don't think they will cut too many characters (though if it makes all star mode less tedious im all for it).

If the next game has even more characters than Brawl, I am all for saying bye bye for all-star mode.

Actually, imagine all-star mode in a game like Budokai Tenkaichi 3(more specifically the version with the added extra characters)

If the next game has even more characters than Brawl, I am all for saying bye bye for all-star mode.

Actually, imagine all-star mode in a game like Budokai Tenkaichi 3(more specifically the version with the added extra characters)

*imagines all star mode for dragon ball z tenkaichi 3* I think I just saw how I will literally die, I couldn't even make it through 50 characters and I had so much more to live for.

But on a serious note I hope they get rid of all star mode too it stopped being about it just being hard and more about it just being plain annoying to even finish so yeah, I wouldn't be to opposed to it being replaced by something else.

I'm hoping for more interesting mini-games in Classic Mode, actually. Brawl was a missed opportunity. Not being able to play "RACE TO THE FINISH!" with Sonic was a real bummer.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm hoping for more interesting mini-games in Classic Mode, actually. Brawl was a missed opportunity. Not being able to play "RACE TO THE FINISH!" with Sonic was a real bummer.

I... actually think this idea sounds pretty neat!

I can only imagine what sort of gimmick would be used to slow him down so you get there JUST before he does.

When in doubt, make Sonic made of Metal and have it be on Stardust Speedway.