Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Whether you like New Super Mario Bros or not, I have no idea why you would find the inclusion of one of its stages so offensive, not to mention surprising. Calm down. 

Like I said though, this is probably 3D Land. The colored blocks are in both it NSMB2, so that could be a coincidence, and so could the music. But 2 coincidences is a pattern, and that's not even mentioning emphasized depth, or the falling block platforms that were all over the place in 3D Land. 

AoEdxyU.jpg

13179271373DS_SuperMario3DLand_Oct6_37.jsm3dlbotr.jpg

Not that any of this should matter. So what if it were a NSMB stage? Is Nintendo supposed to forget those games exist? Is it really so horrible to see that series referenced?

No it's not horrible, it's just a pet peeve of mine. I really don't like what NSMB stands for (safeness, blandness, rehash-ness) minus the original and U, so I was hoping it would get ignored in a much better (to me) game series such as Smash Bros. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It looks better than Mushroomy Kingdom, that's for sure.

That was Mushroomy Kingdom's point. Decrepit setpieces? Wastelands as far as the eye can see? It's a strict parody of the "Brown is real" concept used in games today.

• Thumbs Up 3

That was Mushroomy Kingdom's point. Decrepit setpieces? Wastelands as far as the eye can see? It's a strict parody of the "Brown is real" concept used in games today.

Doesn't matter. It's not a stage I'd wanna play on, in any case.

If we're going to have auto-scrolling stages, which always suck, at least let's have interesting-looking ones, not reminders that the Mario series is starting to stagnate.

• Thumbs Up 4

Whether you like New Super Mario Bros or not, I have no idea why you would find the inclusion of one of its stages so offensive, not to mention surprising. Calm down. 

So what if it were a NSMB stage? Is Nintendo supposed to forget those games exist? Is it really so horrible to see that series referenced?

In the sense that the NSMB series is a testament to mediocrity, yes, the fewer things celebrating its existence is welcomed. It would be a bit (but never entirely) like if Generations had a whole level dedicated to Sonic 4. Smash Bros. is, in one sense, a celebration of the best parts of Nintendo. As such, I'm not really keen on levels built as a celebration for an entry I don't find very up to par. I'm not certain as to why that's so hard to understand. It's sort of like Samus's Other M get-up: of course it doesn't look bad, but it's another reminder of the series' failures that no one asked for.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aw, I was hoping for a Mario Galaxy Stage. And isn't about time Bowser got his own stage?

Aw, I was hoping for a Mario Galaxy Stage. And isn't about time Bowser got his own stage?

It's a handheld level, and Galaxy is a console game, so don't get worried yet on that front.

Still, would've rather seen a Mario & Luigi level or something before a NSMB level.

• Thumbs Up 1

this is just the 3DS version. Galaxy was never on a portable system. It might be on Wii U.

Dammit ninjad!

Edited by Young Xehanort
  • Thumbs Up 1

In the sense that the NSMB series is a testament to mediocrity, yes, the fewer things celebrating its existence is welcomed. It would be a bit (but never entirely) like if Generations had a whole level dedicated to Sonic 4. Smash Bros. is, in one sense, a celebration of the best parts of Nintendo. As such, I'm not really keen on levels built as a celebration for an entry I don't find very up to par. I'm not certain as to why that's so hard to understand. It's sort of like Samus's Other M get-up: of course it doesn't look bad, but it's another reminder of the series' failures that no one asked for.

It's not that I don't "understand." I just think it's stupid to get this pissy over seeing a stage from one version of the game because you happen to dislike for one reason or another-- especially when you yourself have admitted it isn't even bad. Stop letting games symbolize this and that for a minute. They're games

Are people expecting Nintendo to deny the existence of games simply because there are people out there who don't like them? What about the fans that do? Are people so incapable of disassociating the the level or character from the thing they dislike to the point where seeing it referenced becomes offensive to them?

Oh, and while we're on the subject, I think that kind of reaction to Samus' Other M costume is equally petty. I consider Other M to be one of the worst Nintendo games ever made and I'm not letting that affect my judgement at all. 

Since people are so quick to panic the moment something they don't like is represented perhaps this will calm you down. It's the same level that was shown in the reveal trailer where Bowser got buttravaged by the giant pin. So it's basically a scrolling NSMB/SM3DL hybrid.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAABnUYnVZmUztQ

Those giant spiked things are in 3D Land too. There's a lot overlap in the art, to be sure. 

Edited by Solly
  • Thumbs Up 3

So, uh. I like that New Super Mario level. It looks pretty cool.

Don't attack me, please. I'm frail.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jesus, why are you guys so bothered about this stage's inclusion? It's not like Nintendo would ever ignore a HUGE part of one of their biggest franchises. It'd be the same thing as SEGA leaving Crisis City and Rooftop Run out of Generations because "It'd bring back bad memories for the fandom", despite both being a big part of the series.

And it's not like the NSMB games are as bad as 06 or Unleashed. They're still great games and even at their laziest they still had unique, or just plain cool, gameplay mechanics.

Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes
  • Thumbs Up 2

I ready assumed that the level featuring bowser getting spiked in the ass was the same as this one. It's a scenery stage. Like Deflino plaza.

1. It's not that I don't "understand." I just think it's stupid to get this pissy over seeing a stage from one version of the game because you happen to dislike for one reason or another-- especially when you yourself have admitted it isn't even bad. Stop letting games symbolize this and that for a minute. 2. They're games

Are people expecting Nintendo to deny the existence of games simply because there are people out there who don't like them? What about the fans that do? 3. Are people so incapable of disassociating the the level or character from the thing they dislike to the point where seeing it referenced becomes offensive to them?

4. Oh, and while we're on the subject, I think that kind of reaction to Samus' Other M costume is equally petty. I consider Other M to be one of the worst Nintendo games ever made and I'm not letting that affect my judgement at all. 

1. You seem to be projecting a bit, comrade. Though I am irritated by this development, I'm certainly not at the level of hatred you seem to ascribe to me. I can always just not play the levels and such if I'm really that bothered by it. I'm in no mood to murder anyone over game design choices I don't like, so I would prefer if you stopped treating me as such.

2. Being games is no be-all-end-all excuse to criticism, even if it's more personal or subjective as with my case. Does my opinion not matter concerning Rembrandt's works because they're art? Of course not, and however petty as they may seem, simply treating someone's taste on a work of art as meaningless because it's art has no weight to it. If you want to show me I am wrong concerning the game, then by all means go ahead, but please do not throw out nonsense like this. It does nothing but harm discussion.

3. I moreso don't like NSMB or Other M being referenced more because (and if I'm wrong in supposing, by all means shoot me down) it tells me that, on some level, Nintendo is quite proud of showcasing their efforts in these games as representative of their series. We may know that NSMB and Other M are not the most recent high points in either franchise, but Smash Bros.'s casual base doesn't. This is a series that, thankfully, introduces quite a few new people to games in a wide variety of series (who would remember the Ice CLimbers if not for Melee? etc.). And as someone who is quite a fan of both Mario and Metroid, these are some of the last games I would like to introduce potential fans to. I'm sorry if that rubs you the wrong way, but it's how I feel on the issue. And furthermore, I apologize if my previous comment gave the wrong impression.

4. ...Okay?

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma
  • Thumbs Up 2

I moreso don't like NSMB or Other M being referenced more because (and if I'm wrong in supposing, by all means shoot me down) it tells me that, on some level, Nintendo is quite proud of showcasing their efforts in these games as representative of their series. 

Okay, I'm sorry but this makes no sense to me. You do not have to be proud of something in order to put it into a celebration game like this. Just look at Generations! I'm sure most people on here would agree that the Dreamcast Era, Crisis City, and Rooftop Run represent some of the lowest points in time for Sonic. And I'm sure SEGA isn't proud of 06 and Unleashed either, since they tried to removed both from store shelves. Did all that stop them from putting those levels into Generations? No. SHOULD all that have stopped them from putting those levels into that game? No. Smash Bros is the same way. It's not a "greatest hits" type of celebration game, it's an overall celebration of the history of Nintendo, and that comes with the good AND the bad. Hell, even the Virtual Boy, which Nintendo admits was a colossal failure whenever it's brought up, got recognized in Brawl!

Nintendo has the right to be proud of the NSMB games anyways, since the series has, on it's own, sold a combined total of 64+ million copies! Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes

I never even knew about the NSMB hatred. It seems to me like the games are popular, critically acclaimed best sellers. So, I don't get it. If you don't like it, that's fine. But more people like the NSMB games than people that don't, outside of the internet.

• Thumbs Up 1

1. You seem to be projecting a bit, comrade. Though I am irritated by this development, I'm certainly not at the level of hatred you seem to ascribe to me. I can always just not play the levels and such if I'm really that bothered by it. I'm in no mood to murder anyone over game design choices I don't like, so I would prefer if you stopped treating me as such.

Chaos Warp was the one playing it up way too much, and I thought you were adopting his stance, but I honestly think any reaction like this, where you can look at a series being referenced and be bothered by it, is an overreaction. 

Believe me, I have no intention of misrepresenting your position, but while we're on that subject, you shouldn't say shit like "I'm not certain why that's so hard to understand" as if the only possible reason I could disagree is because I simply don't get it. It's presumptuous and patronizing to say the least. 

2. Being games is no be-all-end-all excuse to criticism, even if it's more personal or subjective as with my case. Does my opinion not matter concerning Rembrandt's works because they're art? Of course not, and however petty as they may seem, simply treating someone's taste on a work of art as meaningless because it's art has no weight to it. If you want to show me I am wrong concerning the game, then by all means go ahead, but please do not throw out nonsense like this. It does nothing but harm discussion.

I'm not treating anyone's tastes as meaningless. I get that taste in games and art are subjective, and that people are free to like and dislike whatever they see fit, including games. My point is that letting games become representative of things like mediocrity or laziness, regardless of the context they appear in is just going to prevent you from enjoying things for what they are. 

My point is simple; who really cares what it's referencing?

3. I moreso don't like NSMB or Other M being referenced more because (and if I'm wrong in supposing, by all means shoot me down) it tells me that, on some level, Nintendo is quite proud of showcasing their efforts in these games as representative of their series. We may know that NSMB and Other M are not the most recent high points in either franchise, but Smash Bros.'s casual base doesn't. This is a series that, thankfully, introduces quite a few new people to games in a wide variety of series (who would remember the Ice CLimbers if not for Melee? etc.). And as someone who is quite a fan of both Mario and Metroid, these are some of the last games I would like to introduce potential fans to. I'm sorry if that rubs you the wrong way, but it's how I feel on the issue. And furthermore, I apologize if my previous comment gave the wrong impression.

New Super Mario Bros Wii is one of the highest selling Mario games, and even 3D Land is outpacing Galaxy. Hell, I'd be proud of that, and I think Nintendo has every right to be, even if, like you, I've got my own grievances with the series and want a lot more out of it. 

You not liking NSMB or Other M doesn't bother me at all. I think NSMB, while fun, is very unambitious, and that Other M is a gigantic piece of shit wrapped with bacon. And personally, I'd recommend newcomers to games like Mario Galaxy and Super Metroid before anything. With that said, I think you're overstating the influence the levels and character designs are going to have on which game people play first. Most people would do a little bit of research-- I know I would. 

4. ...Okay?

You don't see it as being a little petty? I'm sorry to be so blunt about this, but like I said earlier, we should try and enjoy things for what they are. Is Samus' design in Smash Bros and Other M bad? I didn't really think so, but I'm sure people can come up with a lot of well reasoned arguments as to why they don't like it. Hell, even if they don't have a reason, that's acceptable too. But to hate the design, not on its own merits, but because it reminds you of a shitty game- I think that's petty.

But I swear to god that this is a moot point-- a moot argument, because this level is from 3D Land, not New Super Mario Bros. Between the music, the blocks, the platforms, and the fact that 3D Land is the biggest and most popular release, I'll EAT MY SHOES if this actually turns out to be a NSMB level. 

• Thumbs Up 1

This looks like a hybrid between NSMB and 3D land to me.

Besides, I can't blame people for assuming this is NSMB even if it was 3D Land.

Edited by Young Xehanort

Oh, since Super Mario 3D Land is getting some representation, I really hope that they put THIS song into the game:

that song is too strongth
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nintendo has the right to be proud of the NSMB games anyways, since the series has, on it's own, sold a combined total of 64+ million copies!

By that same logic Activision should be very proud of Call Of Duty because it sells oodles of copies.

Yeah I think there's something wrong there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Crying because you were reminded that some particular games that are less than spectacular exist is pretty dumb.

• Thumbs Up 7

I just say... don"t play on the stage if you don't like the game beng represented in such stage. This back and forth kinda reminds me of people hating on Sonic's inclusion in Brawl. Don't like the character/stage? Don't use/play it.

That Mario 3D Land stage looks like an auto scroller. Fuck auto scrollers, they're terrible and need to die. Only decent auto scrolling stage was Poke Floats because of how out there it was. At least the stage looks nice unlike Brawl's fuck ugly Mushroomy Kingdom stage.

• Thumbs Up 1

By that same logic Activision should be very proud of Call Of Duty because it sells oodles of copies.

They most likeley are, since sales indicate that alot of people eat up that shit and enjoy playing it.

Personally? I'm fine with a NSMB stage, I'm rather apathetic towards the NSMB Series, but putting a stage representing it in it's 3DS literation is pretty sound and perfectly fine by me.