Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

I say stop being petty and letting the fact that the stage is referencing this or that, and just judge the stage for what it is. Why let your personal vendetta against whatever game keep you from playing on a potentially fun and cool stage? Hell, I don't even see the issue here. The stage is obviously referencing 3D Land, going by the artstyle and various little nods riddled throughout what we've seen of the stage. Are we just going to whine and complain about every Mario stage in the game because the series has a pretty consistent artstyle?

By that same logic Activision should be very proud of Call Of Duty because it sells oodles of copies.

Yeah I think there's something wrong there.

Aren't they already...?

That Mario 3D Land stage looks like an auto scroller. Fuck auto scrollers, they're terrible and need to die. Only decent auto scrolling stage was Poke Floats because of how out there it was. At least the stage looks nice unlike Brawl's fuck ugly Mushroomy Kingdom stage.

no love for Delfino Plaza? One of my favorite scrollers (if it's considered a scroller) next to Poke Floats if you ask me.

I think spirit tracks works more

Similar to The nerumerous F-Zero stages where the ground moves under the platforms but not the platform itself

Edit: I think there are 2 kinds of

Scrollers, the auto scroll where it moves the screen across I.e. mushroomy kingdom, Rainbow Ride and "your" scrollers where they visit different parts of the level but the screen doesn't move, the platform does I.e. delphino plaza, Port dive

Edited by Jolt_TH

The way everyone words these statements they act like I actually legitimately dislike the idea of an NSMB stage. I don't. Like I said in an earlier post, ​it's just a personal peeve. Meaning that while I don't like the idea, I wouldn't get mad if it was included. Because that's petty, right?

no love for Delfino Plaza? One of my favorite scrollers (if it's considered a scroller) next to Poke Floats if you ask me.

Delfino Plaza is a "touring" stage. Scrolling stages are different (and, aside from Poké Floats, quite lame).

The way everyone words these statements they act like I actually legitimately dislike the idea of an NSMB stage. I don't. Like I said in an earlier post, ​it's just a personal peeve. Meaning that while I don't like the idea, I wouldn't get mad if it was included. Because that's petty, right?

ITT: If you don't like it, you're super angry and crying and god it's just a level why care about it why care about anything in fact

Maybe people would rather the stage slot not be wasted on a mediocre game and be used to represent something better and more unique, like Super Mario Land 2, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, etc.

And let's face it, even if it's 3D Land, that game didn't do much interesting with regards to level tropes either.

Edited by Sarah Jane Smith

1. Chaos Warp was the one playing it up way too much, and I thought you were adopting his stance, but I honestly think any reaction like this, where you can look at a series being referenced and be bothered by it, is an overreaction. 

2. Believe me, I have no intention of misrepresenting your position, but while we're on that subject, you shouldn't say shit like "I'm not certain why that's so hard to understand" as if the only possible reason I could disagree is because I simply don't get it. It's presumptuous and patronizing to say the least. 

I'm not treating anyone's tastes as meaningless. I get that taste in games and art are subjective, and that people are free to like and dislike whatever they see fit, including games. My point is that letting games become representative of things like mediocrity or laziness, regardless of the context they appear in is just going to prevent you from enjoying things for what they are. 

3. My point is simple; who really cares what it's referencing?

New Super Mario Bros Wii is one of the highest selling Mario games, and even 3D Land is outpacing Galaxy. Hell, I'd be proud of that, and I think Nintendo has every right to be, even if, like you, I've got my own grievances with the series and want a lot more out of it. 

You not liking NSMB or Other M doesn't bother me at all. I think NSMB, while fun, is very unambitious, and that Other M is a gigantic piece of shit wrapped with bacon. And personally, I'd recommend newcomers to games like Mario Galaxy and Super Metroid before anything. With that said, I think you're overstating the influence the levels and character designs are going to have on which game people play first. 4. Most people would do a little bit of research-- I know I would. 

5. You don't see it as being a little petty? I'm sorry to be so blunt about this, but like I said earlier, we should try and enjoy things for what they are. Is Samus' design in Smash Bros and Other M bad? I didn't really think so, but I'm sure people can come up with a lot of well reasoned arguments as to why they don't like it. Hell, even if they don't have a reason, that's acceptable too. But to hate the design, not on its own merits, but because it reminds you of a shitty game- I think that's petty.

But I swear to god that this is a moot point-- a moot argument, because this level is from 3D Land, not New Super Mario Bros. Between the music, the blocks, the platforms, and the fact that 3D Land is the biggest and most popular release, I'll EAT MY SHOES if this actually turns out to be a NSMB level. 

1. It's not only the problem of what's being referenced, but that it might very well be taking the place of something with greater quality. Having Sonic 06 being paraded around Generations is odd enough, but let's say that a Sonic CD level was cut for it to place. It's not all that happy a prospect.

2. I apologize. I didn't really have any intention of being patronizing.

3. Who cares what's representing what in a mascot crossover? With all due respect, that sentiment rather baffles me. The entire series is built around having these characters and stages represent their franchises in their proper form. If Sakurai replaced Mario with the Mario from Strikers, people would rightly take issue with it (outside of the few who would find it amusing). It may very well still be Mario, but it's not the Mario that best embodies his series. People trust that, when one puts their mascot on stage, that mascot is to properly represent their franchise. I'm pretty certain that that's the entire purpose of a mascot, comrade.

4. While that's certainly an ideal, not everyone has the time to sit around as we do and get to the bottom of games. Plenty of people just do not have the resources or care enough to really do more in-depth research. And, again, it is rather the job of a mascot to properly represent the series they're from and what it represents. Smash has been good at that in the past (barring incidents such as Ganon). In fact, it's so good at it on the whole that it's harder for the casual player to tell when something really is as well-representative as the rest of the pack (Mega Man, The Villager, heck, just most of the cast in general) and when they're decidedly not, such as Un-Samus.

As a caveat, though, it must be noted that this argument and the preceding one only carry much weight if we get as much coverage of Other M and such as Prime did with Brawl. I just sort of expect it, as good coverage has been as a consistent strength of the series, but I could be entirely wrong,

5. I hope I've made it abundantly clear that it's not the thing I'm worried about, but what it represents. Crisis City can be rather lovely at points, but it represents an utterly abominable game.

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=207140

Coming from the EVO site...

Regrettably, we’ve just been informed by Nintendo of America Inc. that we do not have permission to broadcast Super Smash Bros. Melee for Evo 2013. In light of this, we must make the following changes to the schedule.

Smash has been removed from the stream schedule and replaced with a mix of Persona 4 Arena and King of Fighters XIII
Smash Finals have been moved from Sunday to Saturday, 2:00 PM

God, NoA. Why do you SUCK SO MUCH!?

So that's two games that had massive donation pushes to get into Evo that have completely blown up in everyone's faces. I don't expect them to do it next year now.

Goddammit Nintendo. Was this really necessary?!

Edited by Johnny Boy

Maybe people would rather the stage slot not be wasted on a mediocre game and be used to represent something better and more unique, like Super Mario Land 2, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, etc.

Who says Mario vs Donkey Kong and Mario Land 2 aren't getting represented? Moreover, who says they WOULD be getting represented if this stage weren't in?

And do we care about representing a more unique game, or having a more unique stage? Because they're two completely different arguments. The complaints thus far haven't been that a NSMB stage looks boring, it's that the game is being acknowledged and "represents" something people don't like, which is irrational.

1. It's not only the problem of what's being referenced, but that it might very well be taking the place of something with greater quality. Having Sonic 06 being paraded around Generations is odd enough, but let's say that a Sonic CD level was cut for it to place. It's not all that happy a prospect.

These are some big assumptions. Just because something made it into the game doesn't mean it's necessarily replacing something else. Nintendo was bound to represent Mario's handheld legacy as a 3DS stage, and a recent game was bound to be part of it. Whether it was 3D Land or NSMB (it's totally the former) both provide an updated version of an iconic Nintendo locale; the Mushroom Kingdom. This stage was bound to exist in some form, whether it was inspired by NSMB or 3D Land. It isn't taking anything's place.

3. Who cares what's representing what in a mascot crossover? With all due respect, that sentiment rather baffles me. The entire series is built around having these characters and stages represent their franchises in their proper form. If Sakurai replaced Mario with the Mario from Strikers, people would rightly take issue with it (outside of the few who would find it amusing). It may very well still be Mario, but it's not the Mario that best embodies his series. People trust that, when one puts their mascot on stage, that mascot is to properly represent their franchise. I'm pretty certain that that's the entire purpose of a mascot, comrade.

Uh, you do.

I hope I've made it abundantly clear that it's not the thing I'm worried about, but what it represents

Your example of using Mario from Strikers as a stand-in for his normal self isn't really an apt comparison, because Mario is a character with an established iconic look, and picking another, radically different design would betray the expectations of pretty much everyone.

4. While that's certainly an ideal, not everyone has the time to sit around as we do and get to the bottom of games. Plenty of people just do not have the resources or care enough to really do more in-depth research. And, again, it is rather the job of a mascot to properly represent the series they're from and what it represents. Smash has been good at that in the past (barring incidents such as Ganon). In fact, it's so good at it on the whole that it's harder for the casual player to tell when something really is as well-representative as the rest of the pack (Mega Man, The Villager, heck, just most of the cast in general) and when they're decidedly not, such as Un-Samus.

People won't have time to research games before they buy them? I really doubt that. If we were to make the insane assumption that a new player didn't know who Mario was, and they played Smash Bros and played the 3D Land/NSMB level, they probably won't even know what game it's from.

And you talk about properly representing the series; is there anything not-Mario about the stage? Or 3D Land/NSMB? I certainly don't think so-- in fact, the biggest complaint people seem to have about those games is that they're too safe.

5. I hope I've made it abundantly clear that it's not the thing I'm worried about, but what it represents. Crisis City can be rather lovely at points, but it represents an utterly abominable game.

Yeah, I get that. It's actually the whole thing I disagree with- that what it represents to you shouldn't matter at all.

Uh, you do.

Uh... I can respond to the rest later, but, uh... I guess sarcasm is harder to get across in plain text than I thought. Sorry there.

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma

Delfino is a transforming stage not a scroller. It fits under the same category as the Pokemon Stadiums and Halberd, rather than say Icicle Mountain and Mushroomy Kingdom

Who says Mario vs Donkey Kong and Mario Land 2 aren't getting represented? Moreover, who says they WOULD be getting represented if this stage weren't in?

And do we care about representing a more unique game, or having a more unique stage? Because they're two completely different arguments. The complaints thus far haven't been that a NSMB stage looks boring, it's that the game is being acknowledged and "represents" something people don't like, which is irrational.

There is now factually a less likely chance of them getting in because one Mario stage slot is taken.

And both are obviously important, but there are more chances for an interesting stage AND stage look by using those or other suggestions. 3D Land and NSMB have typical grass, snow, mountain, etc. level tropes. For one game's example, Land 2 had the Pumpkin Zone, Space Zone, and quite a few others. On the Mario vs. DK front, there could be a stage where the minis change the makeup of the level and you have differing stage designs to keep up with. Even NSMB could have AT LEAST used one of its less bland tropes, like the purple swamp or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

There is now factually a less likely chance of them getting in because one Mario stage slot is taken.

How many Mario slots are allowed isn't written in stone. It's finite to be sure, but there's no saying "this got in instead" when it's highly possible the cards were never on the table in the first place.

And both are obviously important, but there are more chances for an interesting stage AND stage look by using those or other suggestions. 3D Land and NSMB have typical grass, snow, mountain, etc. level tropes. For one game's example, Land 2 had the Pumpkin Zone, Space Zone, and quite a few others. On the Mario vs. DK front, there could be a stage where the minis change the makeup of the level and you have differing stage designs to keep up with. Even NSMB could have AT LEAST used one of its less bland tropes, like the purple swamp or something.

For the record, I wasn't disputing whether or not Mario vs Donkey Kong or Mario Land 2 would make for better stages. I'm sure they could. My problem is that the argument hasn't been about the quality of the stage at all- it was about people having a problem with the game it's from being represented in any capacity.

If you were to tell me "Mario 3D Land/NSMB look boring, and this stage looks boring as a result because X, Y and Z" that would be perfectly valid, but in all this arguing about stages, the stage itself is being overlooked.

Honestly, this is going nowhere.

How many Mario slots are allowed isn't written in stone. It's finite to be sure, but there's no saying "this got in instead" when it's highly possible the cards were never on the table in the first place.

For the record, I wasn't disputing whether or not Mario vs Donkey Kong or Mario Land 2 would make for better stages. I'm sure they could. My problem is that the argument hasn't been about the quality of the stage at all- it was about people having a problem with the game it's from being represented in any capacity.

There aren't likely going to be 10 Mario levels. While we don't know if it'll be 1, 2, 3, or 4 (excluding Yoshi, Wario and DK levels), we still know the number is limited and therefore only highly deserving, unique and quality stage choices should get in. "Typical NSMB/3D Land grass level" doesn't really seem like a great pick, especially when scrolling stages are commonly disliked.

Well, the argument is still valid. They should represent their good games before they represent their mediocre ones. That's just logical.

Edited by Sarah Jane Smith

Goddammit Nintendo. Was this really necessary?!

They don't like reminding people how inferior Brawl is

On the subject of NSMB representation, as long as the stage in question isn't a heaping pile of ass, the theme it's built around doesn't matter to me.

Edited by Lightning Mareon (Solkia)
  • Thumbs Up 1

So basically people are upset that a game they didn't like is getting representation over another game they liked.

I want people to look at the above sentence and read it carefully and realize how pointless and stupid this argument is.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm honestly fine with this stage. I actually love the way is being handled. And I find the NSMB games and 3D land to be average to boring. As long as this keeps traditional Mario elements in, I'm sure this level will be great. It seems like fun.

I'd find it hilarious if we had an Auto Scrolling Unleashed Daytime stage. the players would follow Sonic Shadow, Tails, Knuckles, or Silver run through a stage and the aforementioned character would have no mercy for the players. (Sorta like trying to catch Sonic with the bunny hood as Metal Ganondorf except the screen is focused on Sonic and if you get off screen you die)

Is this seriously what we're doing now? Complaining about Mario 3D Land having representation in the 3DS version of Super Smash Bros.? Where, you know, Mario 3D Land was a big hit.

Melee is coming back to the EVO streams.

Update, 6:38 PM

I’ve just receive word from Nintendo that the Evo Smash Bros. Melee stream will be allowed to proceed. We will be restoring the original stream and tournament schedules. Obviously this is a huge relive for all of us here and we’re thrilled that the world will get to see the best Smash players fight it out this weekend. Thanks to everyone online who supported both Evo and Smash.

http://evo.shoryuken.com/2013/07/09/changes-to-evo-2013-smash-schedule/

• Thumbs Up 5

^Excellent news, although what they've done earlier shouldn't have happened in the first place.