Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

lololololol

I knew it was going to come back (Would you want to be running the company that put a stop to something that raised $90,000 for a cancer charity?), but I didn't think Nintendo would fold on it for at least a couple days.

• Thumbs Up 1

So basically people are upset that a game they didn't like is getting representation over another game they liked.

I want people to look at the above sentence and read it carefully and realize how pointless and stupid this argument is.

Stop saying it's a game "they didn't like". NSMB is a game series that is objectively mediocre, objectively does not innovate in any way (other than multiplayer, and perhaps the first one since it wasn't a cash-cow level pack thing back then), and is OBJECTIVELY stagnant.

Whether it's fun or not, it does nothing good for the series other than multiplayer. Just because you like it or don't like it doesn't make it a great game.

Edited by Sarah Jane Smith
  • Thumbs Up 2

But it's not NSMB. It's fuckin' Super Mario 3D Land.

It was thought to be NSMB at first, and people who objected to NSMB representation were criticized for objecting to NSMB representation, even after it was speculated that the level looks more like 3D Land (and honestly, it looks like a hybrid of both, still more along the lines of NSMB).

If it was flat out a 3D Land-looking stage, no one would care. Even though 3D Land still has that "typical Mario, nothing special" look, at least it was an excellent game.

lololololol

I knew it was going to come back (Would you want to be running the company that put a stop to something that raised $90,000 for a cancer charity?), but I didn't think Nintendo would fold on it for at least a couple days.

The backlash would have been even worse had Nintendo opted to fold later on - meaning just a few days before EVO began. People would have canceled their plane trips to get there, and EVO organizers would have been at a crossroads on whether to put things back on the original schedule in such a short time, while still missing out on those who canceled, or keep going with the revised schedule, hurting Melee regardless.

Take the brunt of the fire now and get it over with while the community has time to heal for EVO, or be defiant to the last minute, and then REALLY let your consumers tear you a new one. Nintendo picked the lesser poison, luckily.

• Thumbs Up 2

Stop saying it's a game "they didn't like". NSMB is a game series that is objectively mediocre, objectively does not innovate in any way (other than multiplayer, and perhaps the first one since it wasn't a cash-cow level pack thing back then), and is OBJECTIVELY stagnant.

Whether it's fun or not, it does nothing good for the series other than multiplayer. Just because you like it or don't like it doesn't make it a great game.

So you decide what's objective now?

The NSMB games aren't spectacular, but I struggle to see how anyone can call them any less than good. They're solid, if fairly safe, platformers. And they (plus the SM3D games) are what's defined Mario's world at the present, and are the most recent Mario platformers to come out, so it shouldn't be the least bit surprising that they got some rep.

• Thumbs Up 7

The NSMB games aren't spectacular, but I struggle to see how anyone can call them any less than good. They're solid, if fairly safe, platformers. And they (plus the SM3D games) are what's defined Mario's world at the present, and are the most recent Mario platformers to come out, so it shouldn't be the least bit surprising that they got some rep.

No, facts decide what's objective. Lack of story, lack of imagination, lack of challenge, bad art direction, rehashed EVERYTHING from bosses to cutscenes to level tropes to enemies to barebones plots to stubborn design choices to characters (there are two Toads). Things it excels at: Multiplayer, and that's it (and many people hate the multiplayer so that's not even a universal success).

I seriously can't fathom how there are NSMB apologists in the world. It's a fun game but it's a horrible game series. It's Nintendo's Angry Birds. It is not good for the Mario series and just because it sold well and isn't offensive to play does not mean it is a good game.

NSMB is a game series that is objectively mediocre

6045-what-are-you-looking-at.gif

kic3.jpg

d99m.jpg

nk2u.jpg

xuup.jpg

objectively does not innovate in any way

So wait, multiplayer doesn-

(other than multiplayer,

That isn't "in any way," that's actually something pretty game-changing.

Just because you like it or don't like it doesn't make it a great game.

I think in this situation, coorelation does indeed imply causation. NSMB games are just that - new Mario games. Mario is fantastic. Why do you have to cause such a ruckus over the darn game being represented? Nintendogs. Why does that get it's own stage? Perhaps it's because it was a hot seller and was actually fun to play? 

Why does New Super Mario Bros get all the hate? It's like getting a nice delicious cake every Saturday night. It uses a lot of the same recipe, and they may only change the icing flavors from strawberry to chocolate to vanilla every now and then, but you know what?

It's still flippin' cake. 

Forget you, New Super Cake Bros is awesome.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 5

It's a fun game but it's a horrible game series.

I think you contradict yourself.

Personally I'm shocked that there are people so angry about a few good but safe games alongside the other games they put out. There's hardly a series around that wouldn't fuckin' kill to have what Mario's got.

• Thumbs Up 7

My sides.

The backlash would have been even worse had Nintendo opted to fold later on - meaning just a few days before EVO began. People would have canceled their plane trips to get there, and EVO organizers would have been at a crossroads on whether to put things back on the original schedule in such a short time, while still missing out on those who canceled, or keep going with the revised schedule, hurting Melee regardless.

Take the brunt of the fire now and get it over with while the community has time to heal for EVO, or be defiant to the last minute, and then REALLY let your consumers tear you a new one. Nintendo picked the lesser poison, luckily.

No, don't get me wrong. It's absolutely for the best that they got everything sorted out within hours rather than days. But I expected them to stick to their guns over it until they ended up with XBone levels of bad publicity before taking care of it. That's what they did over the YouTube shit.

Oh for fuck's sake. I'll be the first to admit that there are games I would much prefer represented in Smash than NSMB, but don't you think you're blowing this right the fuck out of proportion? So NSMB is a stale franchise, big fucking whoop. It's not like the stage is carrying anything other than the aesthetics over, and as far as Smash is concerned it's actually a breath of fresh air, as hard as it is to believe.

EDIT: Apparently I'm too slow.

• Thumbs Up 6

Oh for fuck's sake. I'll be the first to admit that there are games I would much prefer represented in Smash than NSMB, but don't you think you're blowing this right the fuck out of proportion? So NSMB is a stale franchise, big fucking whoop. It's not like the stage is carrying anything other than the aesthetics over, and as far as Smash is concerned it's actually a breath of fresh air, as hard as it is to believe.

Plus if they didn't specifically label it as a NSMB stage it's not as if the average person would be particularly bothered by "3D stage from the Mario series that looks like it was lifted from SMB3" vs. "other 3D stage from the Mario series that looks like it was lifted from SMB3."

If NSMB is boring and derivative, how is it any different if the stage is specifically from NSMB as opposed to SMB3 or SMW that they would have put in anyway? What else would it be derivative of?

6045-what-are-you-looking-at.gif

kic3.jpg

d99m.jpg

nk2u.jpg

xuup.jpg

Okay I'm not taking a side here but I just want to point out the logical fallacy in using critic scores as an argument when critics continually give Call Of Rehash great scores and gave Sonic Unleashed a lower score then 06.

Not a end-all-be-all objective source exactly. 

• Thumbs Up 1

All the user scores are generally favorable except for NSMB 2. Just putting that out there.

And this is the same gaming public that continually eats up every new COD game. 

Again, not an end-all-be-all objective source. 

• Thumbs Up 1

[picture of scores]

Popularity does not equal quality. McDonalds is popular, and look what eating that for 30 days can do to you.

That isn't "in any way," that's actually something pretty game-changing.

But it's the ONLY thing they've done, and they could've done it in an excellent game to make it more excellent rather than a mediocre game to make it interesting.

I think in this situation, coorelation does indeed imply causation. NSMB games are just that - new Mario games. Mario is fantastic. Why do you have to cause such a ruckus over the darn game being represented? Nintendogs. Why does that get it's own stage? Perhaps it's because it was a hot seller and was actually fun to play? 

Your definition of "ruckus" is very loose. We're simply debating. And I and others have listed our reasons why NSMB doesn't deserve representation over other entries. And at least Nintendogs isn't a rehashed lazy cash-in that rides off of nostalgia and the popularity of its title.

Why does New Super Mario Bros get all the hate? It's like getting a nice delicious cake every Saturday night. It uses a lot of the same recipe, and they may only change the icing flavors from strawberry to chocolate to vanilla every now and then, but you know what?

It's still flippin' cake. 

Don't you get bored of eating the same thing constantly? Especially at the expense of that brownie recipe you've been dying to try for ages? Hint: The brownies are a good game.

EDIT: Apparently I'm too slow.

But we're the ones who are "so angry" and "causing a ruckus". Stop getting so offended that Hasn't-Been-"New"-for-a-Long-Time Super Mario Bros. is getting criticized.

I think you contradict yourself.

Personally I'm shocked that there are people so angry about a few good but safe games alongside the other games they put out. There's hardly a series around that wouldn't fuckin' kill to have what Mario's got.

We're not angry, you guys really need to stop making stuff up to make us look bad for disliking a bland, rehashed, sad excuse for a Mario game series.

"They like games I don't" isn't very good logic to try and discredit people's opinions, and even if that were acceptable, isn't it generally agreed that the CoD audience and Mario's are probably completely separate audiences (aside from some overlap)? Why would they be reviewing Mario games?

While there is a whole commotion about NSMB/SM3DL being represented in the 3ds game. What other handheld Mario games does nintendo have to represent?(aside from spin offs such as the handheld sports/party games)

Mario vs Donkey Kong series + Donkey Kong for Gameboy(It's closer to the MvDk series than the game Donkey Kong)

Super Mario Land Series(1 of which is a Wario Game)

Advance Series(Remakes of other games previously released on console)

Mario & Luigi series(RPG's only on handheld systems)

Paper Mario Sticker Star(Sequel to game traditionally on Consoles)

Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon(same as above)

I am pretty sure that at least 2 of the above will have stages(Probably Mario vs DK, Mario & Luigi, or Dark Moon will get a stage)

EDIT: Also Mario had 2 stages in 64,  4 stages in Melee, and 6 Stages in Brawl so the probability of only getting 2 mario stages are really slim.

Edited by Dom

Doesn't this sort of just go back to "I don't like the game so other people shouldn't"?

• Thumbs Up 4

And at least Nintendogs isn't a rehashed lazy cash-in that rides off of nostalgia and the popularity of its title.

I don't think you actually realize how many versions of Nintendogs there are.

New Super Mario Bros Corgi Edition.

and kittens, too.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 7

Is this seriously what we're doing now? Complaining about Mario 3D Land having representation in the 3DS version of Super Smash Bros.? Where, you know, Mario 3D Land was a big hit.

Not reeeally. The issue was moreso launched when people identified/mistook it for a NSMB stage, and a debate about series representation started up. I'm not even sure what's quite happening now.

Wait, does this mean that if sonic is in, then the 3DS gets a stage based off a portable game? there are quiite a couple awesome ones they could choose from Sonic advance 1-3, or battle. like how about a level where the platforms are a bunch of the different eggman platform vehicles, now that would be awesome!

But we're the ones who are "so angry" and "causing a ruckus". Stop getting so offended that Hasn't-Been-"New"-for-a-Long-Time Super Mario Bros. is getting criticized.

I'm not offended, more baffled. 'cause you're kinda making a mountain out of a molehill, taking a series that is mostly pretty good and acting like it's tantamount to Sonic '06.