Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

doesn't seem to be the case actually so I'm guessing it's either a effect of that move she does or something caused by another character.

Shows what I know.

Anyway, new image of the day.

jSuDnMg.jpg

I love the re-imagining of the Mega Buster, and the character in general. He looks great.

• Thumbs Up 3

http://www.uk.namcobandaigames.eu/community/topics/official-tales-of-interview-with-hideo-baba-at-japan-expo-and-all-the-events-on-video

Aurora: Will we see Tales characters in the new Super Smash Bros ?

Hideo Baba: (laughs) That’s true that Super Smash Bros developed by the same company than ours, Namco Bandai, but the rights and decisions to choose characters only depends on Nintendo. And there’s nothing about including Tales Characters in it.

No Lloyd.

Edited by Lightning Mareon (Solkia)

Lloyd? Pffft.

If there should be any Tales character in Smash Wii U it should be someone from Graces.

Sorry, was just thinking a little out of the box, but really, Wily controlling a couple of robot masters(2 or 3) would be rather cool, and with their classic setup they would have simple movesets but devasating powers.

I think having a robot master or two as a stage hazard or assist trophy would be reasonable.

• Thumbs Up 1

Graces isn't nearly as memorable to Nintendo fans as Symphonia was, But I guess seeing Sophie in would have been cool

Most Tales games aren't considered as "memorable" as Symphonia simply on the basis that they aren't Symphonia.

• Thumbs Up 1

Most Tales games aren't considered as "memorable" as Symphonia simply on the basis that they aren't Symphonia.

This is probably the truest thing I've heard all day but I think symphonia or phantasia would be the only ones that could even be represented since they are the only ones that were on nintendo console in america.

I keep forgetting Tales games existed beyond Vesperia, lol.

But yeah, Symphonia's Lloyd would've been the most obvious choice for a Tales Character in Smash. 

Could still happen if namco doesn't go with the obvious pac man suggestion.

They've already said that Namco isn't going to get special treatment. 

Just because the game is being cooperatively developed with Namco Bandai involved, that doesn’t at all mean that they’d be given any special consideration for having characters in the game. Smash Bros. can still be considered as an all-star collection of Nintendo characters. Just like with Mega Man or any other third-party character, it would have to be a very special situation.

Chances of a Tales character are slim to none. Or any Namco character for that matter. If Pac Man gets in, it's for different reasons entirely. 

Roster should be more or less finalized anyway, considering they're in the fine-adjustment stages of character balancing. 

Edited by Solly

lol I thought so too, but it's coinciding with the launch of Pikmin 3 in Japan.

Some things I noticed:

- Olimar's helmet now incorporates a whistle

- the spaceship from Pikmin 3 can be seen in the background

- this stage is gorgeous. 

Edited by w00tkins

Well, I guess we now know what to expect for future character reveals.

I figured there was a decent chance Olimar would be replaced with Alph, or Brittany, or Charlie. Like, a 50/50 chance. Could have gone either way. Makes sense that they would retain him though, since he was the original captain, and they would probably have to swap the Purple and White Pikmin for Rock and Winged if they did. It's more practical this way.

Also, I like how they added the dome-attached whistle that the new captains all have. Nice way to keep Olimar up to date.

Looks like the Pikmin arena is basically just an area from...let's guess Pikmin 3. The gimmick is that the fighters are still life size, so it illustrates the true scale of the Pikmin, Hocotatians, and Koppaitians. Koppaians? Koppaliens? Whatever. You can clearly see the new ship in one of the new screenshots.

This last bit is irrelevant, but I'm getting a random sort of Ryu and Ken vibe off the Pikmin characters. All of the captains work with the Pikmin, and share the basic Red, Yellow, and Blue breeds, but Hocotatians favor the Purples and Whites while Koppains favor Rocks and Wings.

Edited by G-Force

That seems kind of underplayed. release a pic of a character at like 2 in the morning.:P kind of disappointed they didn't choose someone else besides Olimar from the Pikmin games, but at least it's still getting represented. The level...please don't be distant planet 2.0.

IDK if it's just because I haven't been watching Smash trailers in 1080/720, or that it's just the way some screens are taken or something, but that's the first image I've seen with this game that drastically stands out from Brawl with me in terms of graphics. I mean there was an obvious upgrade before, but nothing quite close in crispness like that shot there, and really hope that whole stage and game reflect that.

Didn't have my doubts but glad to see Olimar confirmed anyways. I never used him much but I appreciated his uniqueness in Brawl. Though I'm kinda wondering if it'll be possible for Nintendo to not just add simple recolors to these characters, but just a drag-in-drop model swap if say people wanted to play the other Pikmin characters instead. I don't really know too much about programming and whatnot, but I guess I'd like to think you could just swap a model and have it map to the animation still as long as the proportions aren't too drastically different? IDK XD.

Cool stuffs though~

screen-10.jpg "Hey babe, what you up to tonight? Me and my boys were thinking of treating ya yo something real special aaaawwwww yeah." Nah but seriously its nice to see him back. Bit of an odd time to announce him though (as in before a lot of more major characters). He was hardly the most popular Brawl character despite his unique design and despite him being one of the best in the game. Stage looks pretty nice as well. I didn't mind Distant Planet in Brawl and though it was better than a large portion of stages in the game. I'm keen to see more.
  • Thumbs Up 3

IDK if it's just because I haven't been watching Smash trailers in 1080/720, or that it's just the way some screens are taken or something, but that's the first image I've seen with this game that drastically stands out from Brawl with me in terms of graphics. I mean there was an obvious upgrade before, but nothing quite close in crispness like that shot there, and really hope that whole stage and game reflect that.

I dunno, a lot of small details in the visuals department look like they still have kinks to work out. For instance, a lot of the characters seem really stiff or just don't plain emote. Mega Man might have this on purpose, but Pit also has an extreme pokerface even though according to Kid Icarus: Uprising he should have a little more emotion compared to now.

I wouldn't be surprised if closer to release the graphics get a slight bump compared to now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Olimar is great. Although I noticed this time around the character is called Pikmin and Olimar, just like in the Japanese version of Brawl. I wonder if that'll change.

Speaking of changes, I hope he's not stuck with that tether recovery again.

I always thought the difference was pretty clear. Smash U looks more detailed, colorful and higher-poly.

smash-bros-comparison-shots-690x388.jpg

And while comparison screens aren't gonna show this, Smash U's obviously at a higher resolution so there's that.

Didn't have my doubts but glad to see Olimar confirmed anyways. I never used him much but I appreciated his uniqueness in Brawl. Though I'm kinda wondering if it'll be possible for Nintendo to not just add simple recolors to these characters, but just a drag-in-drop model swap if say people wanted to play the other Pikmin characters instead. I don't really know too much about programming and whatnot, but I guess I'd like to think you could just swap a model and have it map to the animation still as long as the proportions aren't too drastically different?

Problem is, most of the models are a bit too different. Olimar and Louie are one thing, but then you've got characters like the President and Charlie who are bigger and stockier.
And switching any character over to use existing animations would require some fine-tuning.

But on top of that, it feels like quite a bit of effort for one character, especially when 3DS limitations may lead characters to getting cut.

• Thumbs Up 1

OLIMAR IS BACK YESSS! I wanna see screens of him in the 3DS version!

So so relieved to hear omg.

screen-1.jpg

FUCK YEAH. I was kinda hoping they would replace him with one of the new captains, but I'm totally fine with any Pikmin representation at all.

Epic fail on the part of the Wii U Facebook page?

Announcing another new player for Smash Bros. Alpha and his Pikmin Army are a force to be reckon with!

Alpha? Isn't one of the new Pikmin 3 characters called Alph? And yet the Facebook post accompanies a picture of Olimar, so I assume it's just a massive error.

Strange...

EDIT: Okay, they've changed it to Olimar now. But do they know something we don't? Maybe we'll see Alph turn up as well with the new Pikmin types...?

Pikmin & Olimar!

I never used him, but he's still a cute guy. X3

Since he was revealed one day before Pikmin 3 releases in japan, do you guys think more characters will be revealed by game release? 

Since he was revealed one day before Pikmin 3 releases in japan, do you guys think more characters will be revealed by game release? 

Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS was revealed exactly one month ago (June 12) and Olimar has been revealed on July 12 so I presume we'll be receiving characters updates once a month. Mark your calendars for August 12.