Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Olimar's back? If he's back then make him better.  I was kinda figuring that we'd get a Pikmin 3 rep but I'm fine with Olimar too.

Olimar's back? If he's back then make him better.  I was kinda figuring that we'd get a Pikmin 3 rep but I'm fine with Olimar too.
But he was already one of the best in the game. Why make him better? Unless thee entire cast is getting rebalanced to be better than Metaknight.
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's been 30 days since the initial trailer. I'd be fine if we got a new character at this pace until launch. Assuming an early November release, about 15 more characters will be unveiled, +1 more for the obligatory E3 megaton, and that seems like a good number to keep it at, so some surprises can be retained.

Olimar's back? If he's back then make him better.

7WwUV.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

But he was already one of the best in the game. Why make him better? Unless thee entire cast is getting rebalanced to be better than Metaknight

Okay maybe "better" is the wrong word, I just don't want him so goddamn reliant on his Pikmin. I know he's the Pikmin Captain and all, and he obviously should be better off with his Pikmin then without, but don't make it so damn drastic. I mean, when you die and come back with no Pikmin, you're at a huge disadvantage and while it's not that hard to get them back in a 1V1, in a Free-For-All you're probably gonna get hit around trying to get them back, and Smash 4's higher speed will probably amplify this problem. 

You're invulernable for a few seconds immediate after reviving and dropping off the platform, so restocking your Pikmin count should (and is) a piece of piss

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay maybe "better" is the wrong word, I just don't want him so goddamn reliant on his Pikmin. I know he's the Pikmin Captain and all, and he obviously should be better off with his Pikmin then without, but don't make it so damn drastic. I mean, when you die and come back with no Pikmin, you're at a huge disadvantage and while it's not that hard to get them back in a 1V1, in a Free-For-All you're probably gonna get hit around trying to get them back, and Smash 4's higher speed will probably amplify this problem. 

Him being mostly reliant on his Pikmin makes more than enough sense considering how his games work; let's see you try beating pikmin solely relying on Olimar's punch move. Also, the pikmin are pretty annoying to kill, and are near invulnerable unless Olimar is dumb enough to throw them to their deaths, or if he's hit with a solid blow that knocks all of his Pikmin out. Plus, as Kami said, you're invulnerable for quite a bit after returning from death, so being able to pull a few pikmin out without getting hit is hardly a challenge.

If anything, Olimar's reliance on his Pikmin should be turned into a bigger drawback of the character, especially if Sakurai plans on giving those things the insane amount of damage and knockback they got in Brawl. Hell the bastard can be nearly as cheap as Meta Knight in Brawl (I should know) so really the last thing that he needs in this game is to become better than in Brawl.

Okay maybe "better" is the wrong word, I just don't want him so goddamn reliant on his Pikmin.

...Have you played a Pikmin game before?

• Thumbs Up 2

I just fucking hope Olimars CPU isn't as annoying this time around.(he was like one of my most hate CPUs) an I swear, if this level is just distant planet 2.0...ugh.

*sees Olimar's return*

fuck-light-night-photography-Favim.com-4

Now I have to deal with this little prick all over again. 

• Thumbs Up 1

You're invulernable for a few seconds immediate after reviving and dropping off the platform, so restocking your Pikmin count should (and is) a piece of piss

Okay granted, but there's other situations where you have to restock Pikmin, like when they all die in battle. No invincibility frames there. 

IDK, maybe I'm just not using Olimar right

Edited by Chaos Warp

Hey, here is my question, when are they going to show off Yoshi? we know hes coming back, but they must have something interesting planned sionce they havent shown him off yet, same with Captian falcon

Since he was revealed one day before Pikmin 3 releases in japan, do you guys think more characters will be revealed by game release? 

Bayonetta reveal before Bayonetta 2 release?

F yeah

SONIC REVEAL BEFORE LOST WORLD RELEASE

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 2

It is sorta weird how Yoshi hasn't been revealed yet, though I'd imagine that he'd be one of the characters that'll get some buffs like Bowser, so he might get saved for later. Capt Falcon on the other hand is usually an unlockable,  so I'm not really surprised that he hasn't been shown.

Have you guys forgotten how they revealed the characters for Brawl? They were basically randomly ordered and unlockable characters (such as Captain Falcon and Ness) weren't even revealed until the starters were revealed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay granted, but there's other situations where you have to restock Pikmin, like when they all die in battle. No invincibility frames there. 

IDK, maybe I'm just not using Olimar right

Plucking pikmin shouldn't be causing you so much trouble. The move itself is very fast and virtually lag free, making it easy to grab one or two in a pinch. You should also be keeping track of how many pikmin are currently in play. Olimar becomes vulnerable if you attempt to grab more than six as I'm sure you know.

Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS was revealed exactly one month ago (June 12) and Olimar has been revealed on July 12 so I presume we'll be receiving characters updates once a month. Mark your calendars for August 12.  

I really, really hate to generate false hype but that would be 2 days after Sonic Boom...

We got to see Ralph in Transformed at the last one... maybe Sonic in Smash U could be a goodie they have planned...?

• Thumbs Up 1

Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS was revealed exactly one month ago (June 12) and Olimar has been revealed on July 12 so I presume we'll be receiving characters updates once a month. Mark your calendars for August 12.  

Very, VERY odd. I was thinking the EXACT same thing.

Looking at the Smash Bros. site, the Olimar page does contain a link and a request to check the Pikmin 3 website. So his reveal now of all times is likely a means to advertise his franchise's upcoming game.

If that's the case, then maybe this will be a trend for character reveals this time around.

i.e., with Pokemon XY being released worldwide in October 12, a Smash Bros. reveal of an XY Pokemon (or Mewtwo!) on October 11th (coincidentally, another Friday) could take place. Then in November, a Diddy or Dixie reveal could take place to hype up DKC Tropical Freeze. And in December, Peach and Luigi reveals for Super Mario 3D World.

It could be a reason why Yoshi hasn't been revealed yet: He's the only one of the original 8 who both is the sole representative of his franchise, and has a game (Yarn Yoshi) coming out soon. His return to Smash can give much needed anticipation for Yarn Yoshi and Yoshi's New Island when the time comes.

If that trend is indeed taking place here, I'm fine with it. It would remove some of the wow factor, sure, but I find that an "is he or isn't he?" approach works too, especially with the cast having more or less the same number of fighters as Brawl.

• Thumbs Up 1

How about sonic showing up in November to help boost Sonic Lost world, which is a nintendo exclusive

Looking at the Smash Bros. site, the Olimar page does contain a link and a request to check the Pikmin 3 website. So his reveal now of all times is likely a means to advertise his franchise's upcoming game.

If that's the case, then maybe this will be a trend for character reveals this time around.

i.e., with Pokemon XY being released worldwide in October 12, a Smash Bros. reveal of an XY Pokemon (or Mewtwo!) on October 11th (coincidentally, another Friday) could take place. Then in November, a Diddy or Dixie reveal could take place to hype up DKC Tropical Freeze. And in December, Peach and Luigi reveals for Super Mario 3D World.

It could be a reason why Yoshi hasn't been revealed yet: He's the only one of the original 8 who both is the sole representative of his franchise, and has a game (Yarn Yoshi) coming out soon. His return to Smash can give much needed anticipation for Yarn Yoshi and Yoshi's New Island when the time comes.

If that trend is indeed taking place here, I'm fine with it. It would remove some of the wow factor, sure, but I find that an "is he or isn't he?" approach works too, especially with the cast having more or less the same number of fighters as Brawl.

You know, that makes even more sense. Though I don't think every character will be revealed that way. I think there is the possibility of other characters being revealed without even a game with them in it being released or being made.

How about sonic showing up in November to help boost Sonic Lost world, which is a nintendo exclusive

I hope  so too, though I am not sure about Sonic returning.

I hope  so too, though I am not sure about Sonic returning.

Well, the reason he showed up in Brawl in the first place was because people wanted him, so I assume that if people make it clear that they want him to return, there's a decent chance of him returning.

I'm also pretty sure it's been noted by Sakurai, or perhaps someone else, that Mega Man was the second most demanded character, after Sonic.  So... *shrug*

Well, the reason he showed up in Brawl in the first place was because people wanted him, so I assume that if people make it clear that they want him to return, there's a decent chance of him returning.

I'm also pretty sure it's been noted by Sakurai, or perhaps someone else, that Mega Man was the second most demanded character, after Sonic.  So... *shrug*

By "not sure", I did not mean I did not think Sonic would return. It is just that I have trouble figuring out entirely if he will return or not.

But if you say he has a decent chance of returning, well okay then.

By "not sure", I did not mean I did not think Sonic would return. It is just that I have trouble figuring out entirely if he will return or not.

But if you say he has a decent chance of returning, well okay then.

No, I get it, I feel the same way.  The thing is, it's basically impossible to know for sure if someone is in until they actually get confirmed.

The point I was trying to get at, aside from Sonic's chances being decent in general, is that his chances can be improved through fan demand.  If being highly requested got him into Brawl, then staying highly requested has a good chance of bringing him back for Smash U/3DS.

And, conveniently, Smash Bros. has a Miiverse section that people can make their opinions known.  Wink wink, nudge nudge.

Sonic would still be such a megaton announcement that I can't imagine him being revealed as quietly as Olimar was. If he's in, I expect him being shown at Nintendo's E3 2014 conference or its E3 Nintendo Direct like Mega Man was.