Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

No, I get it, I feel the same way.  The thing is, it's basically impossible to know for sure if someone is in until they actually get confirmed.

The point I was trying to get at, aside from Sonic's chances being decent in general, is that his chances can be improved through fan demand.  If being highly requested got him into Brawl, then staying highly requested has a good chance of bringing him back for Smash U/3DS.

And, conveniently, Smash Bros. has a Miiverse section that people can make their opinions known.  Wink wink, nudge nudge.

I see your point. I guess fan demand would help bring Sonic into the game. I just wonder if Sakuari will be willing to add Sonic again.

Sonic would still be such a megaton announcement that I can't imagine him being revealed as quietly as Olimar was. If he's in, I expect him being shown at Nintendo's E3 2014 conference or its E3 Nintendo Direct like Mega Man was.

I really think Smash 4 will be out by next years E3. Say Spring 2014 like Brawl. If anything I expect Sonic to show up roughly around November when SLW is released. That's if Sonic returns. 

I really don't see why Sonic WOULDN'T return considering his long history with Nintendo ever since fall of Dreamcast and also his huge, huge demand in Brawl. Snake I could see going, but Sonic I'd say has a high chance of returning. There's also a good chance that Sonic being in Smash is part of the Sega/Nintendo partnership.

ON THAT NOTE, though, fan demand probably WILL NOT increase the chances of Sonic returning. If Sonic is returning, he's ALREADY in the game. They're not going to add him in the last minute like last time. If Sonic's in, Nintendo and Sega agreed to do this right away because of Sonic's huge popularity in Brawl already. If he's not in already, there's no way he's getting in now because all of that has already been decided, and as it stands Sakurai didn't like adding Sonic it so late in development in the previous game also.

Granted, if you compare Sonic to Mega Man, Mega Man has a far greater Nintendo base than Sonic does (since Mega Man started off on Nintendo). Though admittedly, at the same time, Mega Man hasn't had a ton of games lately, and he made the switch to Playstation, so Sonic has had a much larger following on Nintendo in recent years.

Agreed, there is nothing Wrong with expressing your want for sonic to be in game, but If he's not in it by now he won't be.

If he is in it this time he'll have a bigger integration to the smash world unlike in brawl

^ This, EXACTLY. The fact that Sonic was shoehorned it late in development did not help him at all, and that's one huge reason why I really, really want to see Sonic back; he'll have more development time put into him, be able to interact with the rest of the cast more in-game, and overall feel like a much more worthy addition to the game.

Granted, I had a lot of fun playing as Sonic, and I tended to main him... despite the fact that he's considered to be one of the worst characters in the game tier-wise. At the same time, Sonic is still EXCELLENT at the boss rush. Of all characters I found Sonic's numerous multi-hitting moves to really pay off against the bosses, and since they don't have to be knocked back, his lack of serious knockback moves doesn't hurt him at all during the boss rush.

For normal battles, though, it seems they tried to compensate his lack of knockback moves by making his Final Smash overpowered, plus he is excellent at getting to the smash ball quickly. Except that Final Smashes shouldn't have been used to balance characters, and naturally were the first thing thrown out in tournaments. Although Sonic is good at outrunning opponents, and can seriously harm opponents, he has a hard chance of knocking them back, whereas he is in turn knocked back easily, ultimately resulting in Sonic eventually losing most encounters despite his great damaging abilities.

So yeah, Sonic just needs to be better at knocking enemies back and he'd be vastly improved overall. His main drawback should be the fact that he is far easier to KO than other characters, not his own inability to knock back other characters.

I used to main sonic along with fox, i agree I love his backwards air spinning move, it's great for Tabuu! But yeah he is pretty lightweight so it's a good thing I don't play competitively. I don't mind the teir system although I hardly adhere to it, I just play as characters I find easy to use, I find Olimar really awkward to use so I don't really use him at all!

Anyone else think that when Sonic dies, rings should fly out along with the knockout blast? Personalise it like Mega Mans

Edited by Jolt_TH

Olimar had a really OP final smash, at least that's all I found to be the good aspect of him.

That and throwing pikmin at your enemy's face all the time.

Maybe he'll get a revamp, I honestly don't see him as a promotional character since he's not in Pikmin 3. If they were trying to promote Pikmin 3, they would had replaced him with the new guy.

I see Olimar as a character Sakurai made a personal project on to try and improve considering he wasn't very popular due to his weak move set and Sakurai seems to have an obsession with making characters fair and perfect.

Olimar had a really OP final smash, at least that's all I found to be the good aspect of him.

That and throwing pikmin at your enemy's face all the time.

Maybe he'll get a revamp, I honestly don't see him as a promotional character since he's not in Pikmin 3. If they were trying to promote Pikmin 3, they would had replaced him with the new guy.

I see Olimar as a character Sakurai made a personal project on to try and improve considering he wasn't very popular due to his weak move set and Sakurai seems to have an obsession with making characters fair and perfect.

Olimar's FS was pretty solid.  The hitbox on the way down was deceptive and it always deals damage because the Bulborbs were unavoidable.  No where near Sonic FS level of OP though.  And I don't really see why or how they'd revamp his moveset.  It would be a complete pain considering how the Pikmin need to be coded.

And he wasn't unpopular because of his "weak" moveset (as I said before he was far and away one of the best in the game).  He was unpopular because of his obscure moveset.  For a lot of people he was rather awkward to play due to how different he was.

• Thumbs Up 2

My biggest gripe with Olimar is that his Smashes are really, really hard to read. A lot of the time I feel like I don't even know what I get hit by because both the windups and the moves themselves have virtually no visual feedback - the most you'll usually see is a microscopic Pikmin flying a short distance, but that's only after you've already been sent flying. Hopefully the extra attack effects in SBB4 will help on that front.

Anyone else think that when Sonic dies, rings should fly out along with the knockout blast? Personalise it like Mega Mans

I wouldn't mind that, but personally I'd rather he just did this instead:

sonicdead0314082.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

pretty old post but and probably too late to respond but...

What if Wily had the Megaman killers(AKA the genesis unit)

the Mega Man killers and the Genesis Unit are two different things

anyway, todays picture of the Day

feWptmn.jpg

a Spaceship, get in on it before the Night Falls or else everything with a Pulse is out for your Arse

• Thumbs Up 1

I would main Kirby and Sonic, I enjoy Sonic because mastering his speedy attacks are good to rack up damage and unpredictable due to his animations all being the same. But Sonic has no KO moves which puts him at a huge disadvantage so I normally opt for Kirby. 

Yeah, I always thought Sonic's OP final smash was to make up for the fact that he has like one hard to set up KO move.

Yeah, I always thought Sonic's OP final smash was to make up for the fact that he has like one hard to set up KO move.

If sonic comes back, hopefully he has a good killing move this time now that he would most likely not be a last minute addition.

Edited by Johnny Boy

If sonic comes back, hopefully he has a good killing move this time now that he would most likely not be a last minute addition.

Hopefully they will take a bit more from his moveset in Sonic Battle. They would look more inspired than having half his moveset be curling into a ball. Besides, who else has a moveset dedicated to breakdance moves in smash bros.

Edited by Dom

Hopefully they will take a bit more from his moveset in Sonic Battle. They would look more inspired than having half his moveset be curling into a ball. Besides, who else fights using break dance moves in smash bros.

The break dance sweep kick is shared by Mario, Luigi and Diddy Kong for DSmash already so...quite a few.

Sakurai wanted a lot of focus on Mega Man's retro style in this game. With that in mind, if he lets Sonic back in, I'd suspect he would do the same for him.

Besides, who else fights using break dance moves in smash bros.

2RIC7.gif

Sheik styling.

• Thumbs Up 4

I hope they don't change his USpecial, the spring was great and of you used it in the air it could fall and Hirt others below you plus it gave CRAZY height! The only other thing I can imagine working as an USpecial would be the light speed dash and that'd probably work like Pikachu's quick attack... And I HATE quick attack (ok it isn't that bad but is not one i love)

I hope they don't change his USpecial, the spring was great and of you used it in the air it could fall and Hirt others below you plus it gave CRAZY height! The only other thing I can imagine working as an USpecial would be the light speed dash and that'd probably work like Pikachu's quick attack... And I HATE quick attack (ok it isn't that bad but is not one i love)

But Megaman already has Sonic's Uspecial. The rush coil.

The break dance sweep kick is shared by Mario, Luigi and Diddy Kong for DSmash already so...quite a few.

Sakurai wanted a lot of focus on Mega Man's retro style in this game. With that in mind, if he lets Sonic back in, I'd suspect he would do the same for him.

Sheik styling.

I meant Multiple Moves/ Most of the Move set being based off of break dancing. Let me rephrase that post.

Edited by Dom

If they brought Sonic back, I'd hope his moves would reflect his current status, with the B attacks all being different Wisps.

Of course, you can't get rid of the spindash, so have that as down A, while down B could be Cube or Spikes. Side would be Laser or Boost, neutral could be Burst or Asteroid, and up might be Hover or Rocket.

I know but a few people share similar USpecials, even if it was the light speed dash, it would be similar to Pikachu's. unless he uses the Green Hover, but I cant see that happening.

The thing is, with Battle it even says he bases his moves off of breakdancing. I think his moveset is pretty decent, it doesn't pack much of a punch, so maybe increase the Knockback on a few of those, but it makes sense, sonic is really about rolling as Mario is all about jumping, it also adds a bit of a challenge for those against Sonic as they cant see what move is coming.

edit: I don't much like the idea of Sonic using the Wisps, I don't know why, the idea just doesn't appeal to me, maybe its because he would be transforming, attacking and then un-transforming in the space of a few frames

Edited by Jolt_TH

Change Spindash to be his Down B (replacing/renaming Spin Charge)

add a Short ranged Boost type attack as a Side B

and, well, maybe give him a Insta shield type move as his Neutral Air, and his Down A a Bounce Attack like the water Shield one, and also some good KO moves.

thats about all I would change about Sonic, as far as his moveset goes.

Curling into a ball and performing various Spin Attacks is one of Sonic's signature abilities.  It should be treated as being just as important to his character as his super speed.  Breakdance moves may technically appeal to the "attitude" aspect of Sonic's character, but there's no way in Hell that they're more appropriate for him than his actual signature fighting style.

Aside from that, Sakurai clearly doesn't care about what other fighting games did with the characters.  Sonic the Fighters and Sonic Battle existed before Brawl, but Sakurai didn't copy anything from those games, instead focusing on spin moves based on Sonic's own platforming games.  Similarly, Mega Man was in the first two Marvel vs. Capcom games, but his Smash move set isn't based on those games, but instead focuses on his abilities in his own platforming games.

Adopting some moves from Sonic Battle in places where they're appropriate makes sense, but I would say that trying to claim that Sonic's move set shouldn't focus on Spin Attacks is objectively wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aside from that, Sakurai clearly doesn't care about what other fighting games did with the characters.  Sonic the Fighters and Sonic Battle existed before Brawl, but Sakurai didn't copy anything from those games, instead focusing on spin moves based on Sonic's own platforming games.

actually...

Side Smash

RbkFU7X.png

Side Tilt

hiA7qUl.png

and many More

Sakurai clearly does take other fighting game appearances of a Character into account, wich is made especially obvious with Mega Man since he outright said that the Mega Upper was taken straight from the Marvel vs Capcom games.

yes, Curling into a Ball is Sonics thing, but so is Flying Airwings for Fox, yet that was expanded on somewhat to make him a Fighter. So really, taking some Breakdance stuff is perfectly fine for Sonics I would say.

not to mention, they seemed to have done a decent job at incorporating both the Spinning and the Breakdance stuff into his Brawl moveset, so there.

• Thumbs Up 2

Curling into a ball and performing various Spin Attacks is one of Sonic's signature abilities.  It should be treated as being just as important to his character as his super speed.  Breakdance moves may technically appeal to the "attitude" aspect of Sonic's character, but there's no way in Hell that they're more appropriate for him than his actual signature fighting style.

I was saying that half of it shouldn't be spin moves. I think the neutral Special, Side Special, Nair, Dsmash, and his ledge climbing/getting up attacks are perfectly fine. I also said that only a bit of his moveset should be inspired from battle

Aside from that, Sakurai clearly doesn't care about what other fighting games did with the characters.  Sonic the Fighters and Sonic Battle existed before Brawl, but Sakurai didn't copy anything from those games, instead focusing on spin moves based on Sonic's own platforming games.  Similarly, Mega Man was in the first two Marvel vs. Capcom games, but his Smash move set isn't based on those games, but instead focuses on his abilities in his own platforming games.

But some of his moves are clearly inspired by Sonic the Fighters.(His Fsmash, Fair, Dtilt, Ftilt, etc..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8LQjYjP5kQ

Adopting some moves from Sonic Battle in places where they're appropriate makes sense, but I would say that trying to claim that Sonic's move set shouldn't focus on Spin Attacks is objectively wrong.

Again I never said that.

Edited by Dom

Focusing so much of Sonic's move set on spin attacks is part of the reason he felt so mediocre and lazily put together in the first place. Spin Dash and Spin Charge have little to no differences and there is no benefit to him having both versions. Also Homing Attack is complete ass.

The Sonic in Sakurai's Brawl is incredibly linear and not really fleshed out at all.

Brawl Zeus' Sonic is far more ideal as far Smash goes.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 1