Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Uh, yes, I would say that you did say that.

You said that "half" of his move set is spin moves, and implied that is too many spin moves, and that he should have fewer spin moves and more attacks like the ones from Sonic Battle.  For all intents and purposes, you're saying Sonic's move set had too much of a focus on spin moves. 

My point is that spin moves are a signature ability of Sonic's, and that his Smash move set should place a significant focus on them.  "Half" of the moveset, or whatever the exact proportion is, isn't too much.  In my mind, I think of Sonic's spin moves in the same way as Link's swordplay, or Pikachu's electricity.  There should be an emphasis on those things.

@Chooch:  Please, for the love of all that's decent, tell me we're not just talking about Special Moves here.

Because if we are actually just talking about the Specais, then why the fuck didn't anyone actually say that.  I feel like I'm making an ass of myself now, because I get the impression that I've been talking about the style of Sonic's attacks in general when everyone else is just talking about his weak Special Move options.

Regardless, the Spin Dash and Spin Charge are redundant, and I've never been fond of the Homing Attack being in there.  The trouble is that I've yet to see anyone suggest anything that I genuinely thought was better.

The fuck is Brawl Zeus?

Edited by G-Force

The fuck is Brawl Zeus?

Yeah this. Now I'm actually interested in what this is. Is it a mod?

Edited by Chaos Warp

Uh, yes, I would say that you did say that.

You said that "half" of his move set is spin moves, and implied that is too many spin moves, and that he should have fewer spin moves and more attacks like the ones from Sonic Battle.  For all intents and purposes, you're saying Sonic's move set had too much of a focus on spin moves. 

My point is that spin moves are a signature ability of Sonic's, and that his Smash move set should place a significant focus on them.  "Half" of the moveset, or whatever the exact proportion is, isn't too much.  In my mind, I think of Sonic's spin moves in the same way as Link's swordplay, or Pikachu's electricity.  There should be an emphasis on those things.

@Chooch:  Please, for the love of all that's decent, tell me we're not just talking about Special Moves here.

Because if we are actually just talking about the Specais, then why the fuck didn't anyone actually say that.  I feel like I'm making an ass of myself now, because I get the impression that I've been talking about the style of Sonic's attacks in general when everyone else is just talking about his weak Special Move options.

Regardless, the Spin Dash and Spin Charge are redundant, and I've never been fond of the Homing Attack being in there.  The trouble is that I've yet to see anyone suggest anything that I genuinely thought was better.

The fuck is Brawl Zeus?

Well, Sonic has more than just spinning. Recent games even opted to make it less important. Look at unleashed, Sonic only spins when jumping. Same for colours.

If half his moveset has spinning moves, Sonic would look lazy from a moveset and a visual stand point. At least link can swing his sword in different ways. Sonic can't spin in different ways to make his attacks different, when he spins, his entire body hurts and is curled up into a ball. With of all his moves that have spin in a ball, his attacks also blend in together.

(The dspecial could be the bounce instead of having a second spin dash)

Edited by Dom

Well, for the record, I'm not completely opposed to change, I just think placing some focus on spin moves was the right idea.  The fact that more recent games moved away from spinning is actually rather bothersome in my opinion, but that's not worth getting into here.  As far as appearances go, I'm rather comfortable with "spin attacks look like spin attacks" as a necessary evil, of sorts.  As for spinning in different ways, well, Sonic already had one move that spun in a different way, but that's beside the point.  I think it's more about what comes from the different spin moves, rather than actually spinning differently.

Actually, I do have a handful of thoughts on changes to Sonic's moveset, I just think that "too many spins" is a terrible, annoying argument.

Personally, I think Sonic's Up and Down Smashes were fine, and I don't think they need to be changed so much as they just need fine tuning.

I would swap out the Up Tilt for the Sonic Updraft, and the Forward Smash for the Sonic Flare.  I rather like the idea of having the tilts be more conventional attacks, with the Smashes being the more unusual.  Updraft would come out quick and strong, Flare has a less obvious tell (i imagine it being similar to the wind up for the other smashes), greater range, perhaps more power, but leaves Sonic vulnerable for longer afterward.

I actually think Sonic would be well served by having his Down Aerial become a spin move, actually.  Specifically, the Bounce Attack.  The move would be all around faster than his Brawl Down Air, and would have a bounce effect at the end that would let him stay moving when it's over.  The catch would probably have to be that you can't attack until you land from the bounce, and also, probably, that you wouldn't be able to cancel it.

I would adapt elements of the Insta-shield into the Neutral Air.  Sonic himself doesn't have his movement altered by the attack, instead merely gaining a hitbox.  It would also generate a wind effect around him, which could either be an extra bit of range for the move, or it could just have a push effect, helping to keep away anyone who doesn't get hit by Sonic himself.

In my mind, the other ground and aerial attacks don't need anything beyond basic damage and knockback tweaks.

Sonic the Fighters gave Sonic a throw that I really liked, where Sonic would go into a spin and grind himself into the opponents head, slamming them into the ground.  I don't really know where I would put it, but it's something I'd like to see in there.

The Up Special is fine.

I would probably mix together the Spin Dash and Spin Charge into the Neutral Special.  Hold the button to charge it up like the Spin Charge, and pressing a direction while charging it can affect its behavior.  In the air, you can alter its trajectory, making it resemble either of the two Brawl versions, or make it into a sort of midair hop, adding to your recovery options.  On the ground, well, I'm less sure.  You would be able to send it left or right, probably add the hop option I just mentioned as a potential fake out, and maybe turn into a Down Smash as another?

The Side Special I thought of just a moment ago, the Sonic Boost.  It would be more like pressing the Special button while moving than, like, a side tilt or smash, and it would instantly accelerate you to Sonic's top running speed, add a hit box to it, and seamlessly transition into normal running.  It owuld probably have to have diminishing power, so it becomes weaker the more you use it, but returns to full strength if you leave it alone.

The Down Special I picture would be the Blue Tornado.  Sonic basically would spin around in a circle repeatedly, whipping up a tornado that can launch opponents upward.  it can be maintained indefinitely like DK's ground pound, and you can also be hit out of it.

Rough general ideas here.  I know they're not perfect.

Sakurai wanted a lot of focus on Mega Man's retro style in this game. With that in mind, if he lets Sonic back in, I'd suspect he would do the same for him.

Isn't Megaman more of a retro character? Hell, the newer Megaman games for Xbox are all retro. Megaman X is the modern version.

Sonic is a bit different. He has a completely different look than his classic counterpart and is still very relevant to the industry today. With Lost World/Mario & Sonic, I feel like they want to focus on the more modern version.

I think the way Sonic uses lots of spinning, while it could be improved, was actually the right way of thinking. The spinning moves look similar, but that's the point - they're meant to keep opponents guessing, trying to anticipate which move Sonic is actually using while simultaneously enabling Sonic's player to play mind games. Sonic is pretty much the epitome of 'confusion fu' in Smash Bros.

Now, the actual spinning move variety could use some improvement, but considering he was a last-second addition in Brawl, I'd imagine they'd keep the theme they had going for him in this game.

• Thumbs Up 2

I agree with more breakdance moves for him. But If I could change the specials it would be:

B: Homing Attack : That is been present in pretty much most modern games, just make it a tad better.

>B : Sonic Wind: I know its obscure-ish, but itd make it more varied and add him a projectile.

^B : Blue Tornado: From Heroes, its simply fit as Up B, he whirls up in the air damaging those around him.

and vB: Spin dash : I know it sucks having most moves curling into a ball, but this one should stay.

Edited by dabbido

Do we really need the homing attack? I know it's a staple of 3D Sonic (and occasionally 2D Sonic), but I could never find a use for it in Brawl and it seems kind of poorly suited to the game anyway.

Grab his shot attack from Battle, that was a nice move.

• Thumbs Up 1

Do we really need the homing attack? I know it's a staple of 3D Sonic (and occasionally 2D Sonic), but I could never find a use for it in Brawl and it seems kind of poorly suited to the game anyway.

worked great in project M, if Nintendo were to utilize it like the fans did in Project M it would be one hell of a tool to use. They pretty got rid of the start up and made it a faster executed attack

• Thumbs Up 2

Do we really need the homing attack? I know it's a staple of 3D Sonic (and occasionally 2D Sonic), but I could never find a use for it in Brawl and it seems kind of poorly suited to the game anyway.Grab his shot attack from Battle, that was a nice move.
I found a lot of use actually for the homing attack for my Sonic. I use it with sonics down special to do more damage. It's pretty helpful. Its a nice transition attack.I wouldn't mind it at all returning.

Alternatively, increasing the damage of the attack would be a useful buff.

There's not much to worry about with a long-charging attack that does 8%. A different tune would be sung if that attack did 17-20% per hit instead.

I used Sonic as much as I could in Brawl, but when it comes down to it, he was a pretty bad character in Brawl. Hope if he is included in Sm4sh, he will be... you know.... better lol

Which makes me wonder... will we see any patching this time around? Seeing how the Wii U and 3DS is capable of doing that now

I could see it maybe happening, but it usually doesn't seem like Nintendo to patch things *shrugs*. I'd totally welcome it though for balancing fixes or if people find exploits/glitches or something crazy.

As for Sonic, I do hope this time around he'd be a bit more interesting. I'd really love to have some of his new parkour-ness follow him in Smash 4 some how, attempting to make him a pretty fluent hit and run character like he is already. I'd be game for some moves that came from his other games, even if a bit outlandish such as the flame somersault from SA2, just for the sake of giving him something visually different. 

But overall I'd just like Sonic to have more moves that can actually send a player flying. A big problem I had with Sonic is that I couldn't for the life of me get people off the screen unless it was like 2 or 3 of his moves. The only other alternative was chucking an item at people, which kinda blows when I wanted to do no-item matches with a buddy in a stand-offish manner type match.

Fully believe he's returning btw. He's by far the best suited 3rd party character that's important to Nintendo's history that's also extremely popular, and even think he'd still get a large positive uproar for his announcement.

• Thumbs Up 2

More of a case of poor execution.  As said before it can be made useful such as in Project:M (although even in Brawl it could be used as a fairly decent edgeguarding move).  And I'd much rather a staple move that at this point is pretty defining for the character for a special than some niche move from one game that no one will recognise except the handful of people that played that game.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I've probably used it, but which one is his homing attack? I can't really remember anything that looks like one, given I haven't played in a couple of years

I've probably used it, but which one is his homing attack? I can't really remember anything that looks like one, given I haven't played in a couple of years

Neutral B .-.

HisNeutral B Attack.

Ohh, I thought that was just a spin dash, never seemed to home in for me!

In that case it can be pretty useful sometimes, I used to use it to chase down people trying to escape from the fray or going after Dragoon pieces/other items, but generally not a lot of lnockback

Edited by Jolt_TH

I'm probably late on this but considering the new Pikmin stage is Pikmin 3 based and has the Pikmin 3 ship, as well as the lack of rock and winged Pikmin with Olimar, does anyone else think the "leak" of accidentally putting Alph instead of Olimar on Nintendo's Facebook could end up being real?

If they wanted to boost Pikmin's popularity, a new Pikmin character could do it.

Also my friends noticed that Olimar's reveal was almost exactly a month after the initial game reveal, I wonder if we'll get a character reveal per month?

I don't think they could make a new Pikmin character different enough to justify having both him and Olimar.

I don't think they could make a new Pikmin character different enough to justify having both him and Olimar.
Maybe Olimar could get the pikmin 2 pikmin while alph gets the new pikmin and bulbmin along with multiple move differences.

The new Pikmin go without saying, but I don't think the Bulbmin would make sense since they were never plucked from the ground.

Changing the move set is what I'm concerned about. The general idea has to be the same, the special moves have to be the same. The normal attacks can be changed, but I'm not entirely sure they can be made dinstinct from Olimar while still being useful and practical.

I would also say that Olimar is currently an extremely unique character, and adding another Pikmin character is guaranteed to cheapen that. I don't really like that.

1001544_488400501242296_767567522_n.jpg

So the foot has a hitbox too. So it's likely not a Forward Air like I originally thought. Most likely an Nair.

Also just now realized that Miss Fit is the only human Smash character going shoeless.

Edited by Joshua

Soooo white yet doesn't track dirt/mud/dust on her feet....

I'm smitten guys!

• Thumbs Up 1

So the foot has a hitbox too. So it's likely not a Forward Air like I originally thought. Most likely an Nair.

Her Fsmash can hit both sides, too.

screen-1.jpg

Could be just that this is a recurring theme in WFT's moveset.