Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

I spend all my time in Multiplayer after getting all the characters (which is 99% of my playtime) anyway, so I'm not that bothered, honestly.

Goddamn that logic seriously pisses me off. "We're thinking about removing t because anyone who wants to watch them could just go to the Internet, therefore all the charm of them is gone."

Fuck that. You know, I watched quite a few of the cut-scenes in KH3D before I got it and I found the experience of watching them myself much greater than already knowing what was to come. They were still pretty charming, so this logic can go jump off a bridge. If we still get a "similar" single player mode fine, but I just don't get this idea that since its already online there is no point in having them in the game now.

I don't think that's what he means.  I think he means the cut-scenes were so entirely seperated from the gameplay that they didn't technically "add" anything to the game.  The story could be enjoyed just as much from watching cut-scenes on youtube.  There was no real investment.  It's not like most story-heavy games like BioShock Infinite or The Last Of Us, where probably every single scene was hotly debated as to whether it should be playable or have control taken away from the player - which better served the player's involvement.  In Smash Bros they were just these two entities that co-existed rather than things that played off each other to make for a better experience to play.

Am I the only one who doesn't want easy ways to unlock all the characters? SSE was mostly a walk in the park (a boring one albeit) and you could have all the characters in a matter of hours.

I want some characters to take ages to unlock so I actually feel like they're worth something special when I get them. Mewtwo in Melee was certainly this and Mr G&W even more so.

• Thumbs Up 6

I will say the only thing I genuinely kinda liked in SSE was that it was a mode where you could really get a feel for almost every character due to being forced to play as different ones.  But yeah it sucks that the tradeoff for that was unlocking all but three of them super easily.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

While I didn't mind SSE, I did miss the "challenger approaching" battles. I love those, I'm kinda half glad I have a new Wii so I get to unlock everyone using the other methods now :)

IIRC you could still unlock characters by playing the other single-player modes.

Anyway, I'll guess I'm one of the few odd men out that liked SSE. I wouldn't had minded to see something like that again. I hear some of the main problems people had with SSE was that most of the in-game enemies, the Bigger Bad, and the locations were not set in any of the games of the characters. So ideally you could just have the setting of that Adventure mode take place in various Nintendo worlds and have the antagonists (including the Big Bad(s) and any Bigger Bad(s)) be existing characters. I also wouldn't mind that unlike SSE most if there could be maybe four or five different storylines that involve various characters/worlds, but I bet that CG cutscenes for all of those would not only take up a lot of resources (time, money, disc space), but also require space 3DS cartridges would lack.

Speaking of the SSE, does anyone think that white realm at the end of the SSE storyline that previously was the Subspace factory will return in SSB4?

IIRC you could still unlock characters by playing the other single-player modes.

You could, but some unlocks took so long there's no way you could put off playing SSE that long if you'd just got the game and... well, wanted to play SSE mode.

• Thumbs Up 1

I liked SSE, but I think that it shouldn't have unlocked the characters as you were playing. Unlock them in the mode itself, sure, and perhaps if you unlock them in that mode, give a hint how to unlock them outside of that mode. Otherwise restrict it to that mode.

Unless, of course, they go back to an Adventure Mode sort of system where each character has their own Adventure Mode, which eliminates the need for this all-together. I'd still prefer one that features character interactions, and obviously this kind of thing would be shorter than in Brawl, but it could be interesting if pulled off well. And I don't just mean a glorified classic mode with some platforming elements that was in Melee.

• Thumbs Up 2

Am I the only one who doesn't want easy ways to unlock all the characters? SSE was mostly a walk in the park (a boring one albeit) and you could have all the characters in a matter of hours.

I want some characters to take ages to unlock so I actually feel like they're worth something special when I get them. Mewtwo in Melee was certainly this and Mr G&W even more so.

Agreed for the most part. When you tried out new things in Melee, and unintentionally discovered a method that unlocked a character, that felt really good. There's something oddly satisfying about playing a normal match, you either win or lose, results screen, and then NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHING!

Though I hated the ones where it's like "Play 1000 matches to unlock ***" or something ridiculous like "Leave the game on for 24 hours". I enjoy the unusual methods to unlocking characters, but those are just way too far out there.

I've been listening to the "main theme" of the game, and I'm unsure if it really is going to be the main theme. I know Brawl's theme and Melee's was shown off in their reveal trailers, but this new one just sounds weird to me. It's not bad like Brawl's dead language theme, but I don't know how I feel about it.

Not too worried about it though, Smash Bros never disappoints me with its amazing OSTs.

EDIT: Extremely ironic but I gotta mention it. In 64 and Melee, Jigglypuff was always the first secret character I unlocked. But because of the SSE, she was actually the last one I unlocked.

Messin with my traditions Brawl....

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 2

Carbo pretty much already said anything I was going to say on this subject, but I will continue to hammer you guys over the head with Kid Icarus: Uprising. How many gratuitous cutscenes did that game again? How much story did it have again? Mmmkay.

It would be neat to have character unlocks occur via some requirement that alludes to the character in question, if possible. Like Melee's requirement to unlock Luigi via completing stage 1 with :02 on the seconds counter, but applied to everyone.

For example, unlock Wonder Red, the leader of a team of 101 in a game that utilizes combining the units' strength, by performing attack "combos" (i.e. those attacks that count as a "combo" in Training Mode) in team matches a certain number of times. Or completing Adventure Mode in a fast enough time to unlock Captain Falcon, and then completing it even faster in order to unlock Sonic. Unlock Mewtwo by using 151 Pokeballs.

Highly specific and situational, true, but it would be very quirky and fun nonetheless. Just keep the default requirement of "Play #### matches" intact, in case some can't be done by some people for one reason or another.

• Thumbs Up 8

Keep in mind too that file sizes for the 3DS game are going to be smaller anyways due to the fact it's not in HD. Movies won't have to be rendered in HD and character models are low poly with textures being low res. I'm sure it will have equivalent content to the Wii U version and not make it suffer. 8GB is plenty.

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 4

Speaking of the 3DS, anyone want to guess what street pass will unlock? Or even play coins?(doubting those will be used) I'm assuming missions or something.

Funny enough, Brawl's minigames relied on coins! I'm sure they're going to do something similar with the 3DS.

Speaking of the 3DS, anyone want to guess what street pass will unlock? Or even play coins?(doubting those will be used) I'm assuming missions or something.

I'm pretty sure Sakurai already mentioned "customization" features specifically being tradeable over streetpass. Granted, we don't know what that entails exactly yet, even if there is plenty of educated speculation about it.

If he takes a cue from Kid Icarus Uprising, maybe you could have a minigame to unlock trophies? Like you insert a streetpass coin to play an arcade minigame to get trophies? Or insert one for a Lottery thing like they did in Melee.

That'd be cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been listening to the "main theme" of the game, and I'm unsure if it really is going to be the main theme. I know Brawl's theme and Melee's was shown off in their reveal trailers, but this new one just sounds weird to me. It's not bad like Brawl's dead language theme, but I don't know how I feel about it.

Wut. Brawl's theme was EPIC yo!

...actually a little too epic. o_o This is a game with characters such as Kirby and Pikachu, so hearing that sort of music alongside these characters is jarring. I say keep the orchestral remixes (personally want a ReCrowned orchestral remix!) and maybe the Fire Emblem opera theme because it was pretty awesome and suits the franchise itself. Speaking of Fire Emblem, can't wait to hear some new orchestral remixes from Awakening!

Gawd derm that looks amazing. Hopefully we get more footage soon. I really want to see that effect in motion.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I'm hoping for some foottage too, I want to see the Pikmin Stsge, Viridi Stage, and C. Olimar in action.

I honestly think Sonic will come back with no issue. Nintendo & SEGA are best buddies now.