Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

And come ion, with the Archie crossover it's basically screaming for mario & Luigi vs Sonic & mega man

Nobody seems to know how change.org works anymore. Every time a petition gets posted, people make a joke about the 100 signatures.

Nobody seems to know how change.org works anymore. Every time a petition gets posted, people make a joke about the 100 signatures.

I never knew how it worked to begin with because I don't make crappy petitions.  8U

Nobody seems to know petitions don't work anymore.

It depends on the petition in question and the fan demand for it. Most ones like Dark Souls PC port, which had over 70,000 fans sign it, can work. Ones like this, which will probably only have around 150 or so fans sign it, will not.

Outside of Sonic forums, I don't really see that much fan demand for Sonic to return like I do for other characters. If Sonic does return I wouldn't mind it or actually care that much tbh. As of now I can think of a ton of other characters I'd be excited for to return or join the Brawl. Sonic's near the bottom of that list unfortunately.

• Thumbs Up 2

I hope Sonic doesn't come back just so I can see the shitstorm it'll cause on here (and likely nowhere else :P).

ANYWAY, first time I saw that picture, I was like "FUCK THEY GAVE SAMUS THE SHINESPARK" and then I was like "WOAH THEY APPARENTLY ALSO GAVE LINK THE SHINESPARK" and then I was slightly disappointed and then awed at how cool and simple an idea has eluded Smash Bros. for such a long time.

Yet another glimpse at the beautiful Nintendo PolishTM we can expect to see from this game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yet another glimpse at the beautiful Nintendo PolishTM we can expect to see from this game.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm, orr.....

I like the coloured smash effects- and many other things about this game visually but I wish they'd do a playable demo somewhere, even if it only has a limited roster. I'm very interested in how it plays, compared to the other entries in the series, which have all been pretty drastically different.

I've probably just been spoiled by the loketests of other fighters. But I'd like to see something like this in SSB too.

I like the coloured smash effects- and many other things about this game visually but I wish they'd do a playable demo somewhere, even if it only has a limited roster. I'm very interested in how it plays, compared to the other entries in the series, which have all been pretty drastically different.

Yeah, a demo would be nice. I'd love an e-Shop one, but Nintendo would benefit more from a public one where people who don't actually own a Wii U could try it out. They had one at E3, even if only Sakurai and another guy got to play it. It'll be a while before we see anything more available.

• Thumbs Up 1

Knowing Nintendo, I doubt it. The closest you'll ever get to a public demo is at E3 2014.

I know Sakurai said the game plays faster than Brawl, and I can see some of that in the trailers. But the big question from me is.

Can we pull off combos again? Or will I have to resort to Brawl's "random attack fury" strategy again?

• Thumbs Up 1

Can we pull off combos again? Or will I have to resort to Brawl's "random attack fury" strategy again?

I've heard people who have been analyzing the footage say the hitstun seems better than it was in Brawl, but at the same time, I think the knockback from attacks looks really similar. Although the game's not done being balanced yet, so that's probably up in the air. 

And to be honest, while combos would be nice, I think the thing that made attacking in Brawl feel so random was the totally spammable dodge system.

Even if it's just at cons, I'd feel a lot safer knowing something, anything about the mechanics. Preferably hearing it from people who know what they're talking about.

I enjoyed brawl, but some kind of combo ability, or a shift to a more offensive oriented style of play would be great. Less safe defense, bigger rewards for successful attacking are things that usually make a game better, but brawl also had some other problems with ridiculously abusable moves so idk

• Thumbs Up 1

I've heard people who have been analyzing the footage say the hitstun seems better than it was in Brawl, but at the same time, I think the knockback from attacks looks really similar. Although the game's not done being balanced yet, so that's probably up in the air. 

And to be honest, while combos would be nice, I think the thing that made attacking in Brawl feel so random was the totally spammable dodge system.

Yeah. That dodge plus the slow pace and histun really made Brawl defence-fu, which is why I don't like it as much as Melee. Hopefully Smash 4's fighting style is more balanced between offence and defence like Melee. 

I'd be happy if they just returned that kind of satisfying, weighty feel to the hits the first few games had. When you whack someone in those games it really comes across as a solid, huge smash of a hit, in brawl it's like you're slapping away helium balloons

I'd be happy if they just returned that kind of satisfying, weighty feel to the hits the first few games had. When you whack someone in those games it really comes across as a solid, huge smash of a hit, in brawl it's like you're slapping away helium balloons

Maybe bringing back the pain yelps from Melee whenever a character gets hit very hard will help with that feeling?

I don't think the yelps are the major factor, but audio is definitely a part of it.

I think it's more to do with visual feedback, the way things animate, the speed of the game, and more accurately just the way characters connect, and hits impact. It's so many different things contributing to it. They just bottled magic there.

Maybe bringing back the pain yelps from Melee whenever a character gets hit very hard will help with that feeling?

I didn't notice the pain yells, but I think the pre-Brawl sound effects where a lot better.

Also, while we're all just making wishlists, you know what I'd love? If they stopped spawning explosive items like Bob-ombs and gooey bombs an inch in front of you while you're in the middle of an attack, only so you can hit it and get blown up immediately. This shit happens to me so often in Brawl and Melee that I feel that it's worth addressing. 

Edited by Solly

Brawl's sound effects definitely could have been better.  I don't really know how to describe it, but a lot of the noises make a kind of "thoomp" sound, like the characters are a bunch of soft pillows.  64 and Melee had much better smacking sounds.  Though I felt like hitting people in Brawl and 64 was more satisfying than Melee.  They flinched a bit more, so it felt like the hits were harder.

I didn't notice the pain yells, but I think the pre-Brawl sound effects where a lot better.

For what it's worth, I think that Brawl has the best sound effects actually. The hits sound the heaviest with brawl's sound effects, they feel the most powerful to me. The "thoomp" kind of sound gives an illusion of a pounding sort of hit, if that makes any sense.

Edited by Chaos Warp

I wonder if they're going to get Kenny James to do Bowser instead of that insipid T-Rex garbage they've had him doing since Melee.

I've probably whined about this in this thread before, but I always felt that Smash tries to make Bowser out to be something he isn't; a crazy killer dinosaur with a beef with plumbers.  You gotta remember though, this guy's got the ego the size of one of Wario's biceps and he's also a loving father to his nine one kids.  I'd really love to hear him chuckling when we pounds Mario's face into Jell-O or shouting "NOOOOO" when he gets thrown into the abyss.  The icing on the cake would be an "I'M THE KING OF AWESOME!" post-battle quote.  I'd probably cream my pants.

Another thing that needs to change is his FS.  Giga Bowser is boring and stupid.  I'd much rather see:

A.)  The Koopalings and Jr. swarm the battlefield, making the match hell for everyone.

B.)  Bowser summons his army and hops into his Clowncopter, pelting the stage with Bullet Bills while everyone deals with the Goombas and Koopas (significantly slower than the Waddle Dees/Doos of DeDeDe's FS, but making up for it with the BBs).

C.)  Kamek swoops over the stage and makes Bowser huge without him changing designs like a 14-year-old drew him on the back of his notebook.  Ugly-ass Bowser has no charm.

So yeah.  Make Bowser more like Bowser an less like Godzilla.

Edited by The Skull Kid
  • Thumbs Up 5

Bowser being Godzilla in Smash is actually the reason I really Love Bowser in Smash.

sure, Bowser doing a little "Showtime" before the battle or reciting Haikus would be neat and all, but I think Giga Bowser is cool, so he is fine in my Book.

• Thumbs Up 2

I always felt that Smash tries to make Bowser out to be something he isn't; a crazy killer dinosaur with a beef with plumbers.

I'd really love to hear chuckling when he pounds Mario's face into Jell-O

What?

Also you have to remember, In Smash Bros. these aren't the same characters as their video-game counterparts. They're trophies/dolls of the real ones. It's also this excuse that lets them beat the shit out of each other without any remorse.

(looking too deep into smashhhhhhh)

I've always loved Giga Bowser. He's just one of those weird random but cool additions to Smash Bros. I would love if Smash tried to make different variations of characters or villains. Would make for some interesting bosses I feel.

While we're on the topic of Sounds, I still say 64 always had some of the best sounds when fighting. The cartoony effect always rung home, and it always felt satisfying to hit someone in 64. Especially when you played as Donkey Kong or Captain Falcon.

I like Giga Bowser, but he should stay as a boss fight, not an extension of Bowser's character.  There are much more fun Final Smashes they could do.  Please don't tell me you'd rather play as a slightly bigger, scarier Bowser, when you could be flying around in the Koopa Clown car dropping inexplicable giant bowling balls down onto the arena and wrecking the place.

I agree I'd like his voice to resemble the Mario games more though.  No actual dialogue though unless they can really make him sound like his Galaxy warblings. His full voice acting in Sunshine was way too cheesy and light sounding for a guy his size.

• Thumbs Up 3

In Smash Bros, Bowser's basically a generic movie monster with absolutely nothing to him. He comes off as looking vicious and brainless, but he's a lot more than that.

In the games, especially the RPG's, Bowser's a big brutish jerk, and the epitome of self-love. He's got a huge, but fragile ego, and it's funny to watch his pride get wounded repeatedly. He's a lot of fun, and that's lost when they have him doing nothing but scratching and snarling.

What?

Also you have to remember, In Smash Bros. these aren't the same characters as their video-game counterparts. They're trophies/dolls of the real ones. It's also this excuse that lets them beat the shit out of each other without any remorse.

I still think it's fair to want the characters to represent their game counterparts more accurately. It's okay to have a liberal interpretation of them once in a while, but they should save that for when it's necessary, like with Captain Falcon or something. Bowser actually has a personality and they shouldn't throw that away. Smash Bros may be its own game, but saying "they're trophies" isn't really an excuse in my eyes.

You could say "it's not canon" to excuse pretty much any bad adaptation of anything in any medium and it wouldn't fly.

No actual dialogue though unless they can really make him sound like his Galaxy warblings. His full voice acting in Sunshine was way too cheesy and light sounding for a guy his size.

His voice actor for Sunshine was Scott Burns, but in more recent games they usually use Kenny James, who gives a much different performance. While full acting isn't necessary, I'd love to see him have some of the little lines he has in Bowser's Inside Story. Stuff like Showtiiiiiiiiime! or I RUULLLE!

• Thumbs Up 3