Awoo.

Xenoblade Chronicles X [Wii U]

Carbo

Stream is starting in less than 30 minutes...or it should be, but the page hasn't changed.

EDIT: YouTube stream is live!

Edited by KrazyBean

Currently watching... but Dolls have been localized as Skells for the English version.

What we had currently was a VERY brief summary of the first overview video that was streamed in Japan. No dub stuff currently... in fact, the text is still in Japanese in the game.

Currently watching... but Dolls have been localized as Skells for the English version.

What we had currently was a VERY brief summary of the first overview video that was streamed in Japan. No dub stuff currently... in fact, the text is still in Japanese in the game.

They are playing the Japanese complete build, which makes sense, since they are familiar with it. This has no reflection on translation status since they've been working on it since last E3, they just don't have it attached to the final build yet, and its unlikely they can change it piece meal

They are playing the Japanese complete build, which makes sense, since they are familiar with it. This has no reflection on translation status since they've been working on it since last E3, they just don't have it attached to the final build yet, and its unlikely they can change it piece meal

You realize I'm pointing it out and not complaining, right? I was hoping to see some of the English build, but I guess when the game isn't even out in Japan yet, I shouldn't have expected to see any localization work yet.

Probably by E3 we'll get an English trailer at least.

I am a little disappointed at how quickly they ran through the Japanese presentation, but it's really nice to see the game in action and seeing some new areas that haven't been covered very thoroughly yet.

Ehhhhh, the only thing worth noting from this direct so far is that Dolls are called Skells...it's nice to see some more gameplay but I've seen enough gameplay to be honest. I just want to play the damn game, lol.

If you've seen the Japanese streams, there's really nothing new. The overview, like I said, is a brief summary of the first Japanese stream (the segments are very quickly cut together, too), so it's not very detailed, but what is nice is seeing the game in action properly, so it's a little more in depth during the Treehouse walkthrough. Still nothing concrete, so I think we'll be waiting for E3 to hear release details and all that, but they did say it's coming this year.

It still makes me happy to see the push this game is getting, so I can't wait to see more, or better, to get my hands on the damn thing.

EDIT: Rolling my eyes a bit at Tumblr, so I'm done looking through that tag for right now. I do find the change of Dolls to Skells curious, but I don't read the same gender shit into everything that people in that community do. I personally prefer the former term since it reminded me of Mobile Dolls like in Gundam Wing. I suppose Skells is derived from exoskeleton and it's meant to describe the form, and after over a year of calling the things Dolls, it is a little hard to adjust in my own head and I think it rolls off the tongue quicker, but it's not a big deal. I'll be curious if there are any bigger localization changes coming, such as the changing the guild names or the character names (Tatsu's name doesn't seem to pronounce the u at the end, which I've learned to expect in dubs, and it usually makes sense).

EDIT2: Um, the actual definition of Skell is making it that much harder to accept this change... I think it is trying to evoke skeleton/exoskeleton, but the word has nothing to do with that (unless it's meant as a reference to the fact that the Earthlings are indeed homeless, but the way it's defined, even as slang, doesn't sound positive.

Edited by Zaysho

Disappointed there wasn't any word on the release date, but I'm watching the Treehouse footage right now and enjoying it, so it wasn't a total loss.

Also I would've preferred sticking with Dolls. "Skel(l?)" isn't bad but it seems a bit out of nowhere, especially after about a year or so. It's not a huge deal, I guess, but eh.

I still don't like the character designs. But I really do like how you can adventure in this huge, open world.

I'm also debating whether I want to play as a girl or a guy... I'll have to check the various design choices for each gender before making a choice.

Disappointed there wasn't any word on the release date, but I'm watching the Treehouse footage right now and enjoying it, so it wasn't a total loss.

Also I would've preferred sticking with Dolls. "Skel(l?)" isn't bad but it seems a bit out of nowhere, especially after about a year or so. It's not a huge deal, I guess, but eh.

Skells starts to bother me partially because I am used to Dolls, but also because the actual definition isn't that positive. I want to say it is a reference to the fact that the Earthlings/humans are effectively homeless and they're trying to eke out a new living in a world that wants them gone (a major theme in every trailer), and that's about the only way I can rationalize the change.

I still don't like the character designs. But I really do like how you can adventure in this huge, open world.

I'm also debating whether I want to play as a girl or a guy... I'll have to check the various design choices for each gender before making a choice.

These are the presets if you're curious, and I think the customization is fairly deep from what I can gather.

I think it's more just supposed to mean Skeleton. Skells just sounds better than Skeles. Sure, they could've kept Dolls, but "Skeleton" makes sense for a mech. Also, you can change your characters sex throughout the game, so you can just mess around with it.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think it's more just supposed to mean Skeleton. Skells just sounds better than Skeles. Sure, they could've kept Dolls, but "Skeleton" makes sense for a mech. Also, you can change your characters sex throughout the game, so you can just mess around with it.

No, I agree, it's just that Skell is a word with a meaning. I've gone from not minding, to minding a little, and I'm right back to not minding since I can see it making sense because of the connection to skeleton/exoskeleton and how the definition fits with what the characters are going through.

At this point, it really is "we heard this first, and are used to it," kinda thing.

I actually prefer skell, it sounds cooler (yeah yeah I know its a simple reason but god dangit when something sounds cool I can't help but like it).

• Thumbs Up 1

I haven't watched the stream yet, but I'm not sure what to think of Skells instead of Dolls. I'm so used to hearing the latter that Skells just sounds weird to me. 8[ Maybe I'll get used to it eventually, but right now I'm kinda eh.

I actually prefer skell, it sounds cooler (yeah yeah I know its a simple reason but god dangit when something sounds cool I can't help but like it).

It's certainly cool and, admittedly, less generic--I liked the mechs being called Dolls a lot, but Skell does stand out more. There's no real problem, it just seems out of nowhere because we hadn't really heard anything about the localization changing little details (which was expected in general, but I was under the impression Dolls would stick around since they used the term at E3 and stuff).

Yeah I'll get used to Skell eventually, but it does make me wonder what other characters/locations names have been changed between the Japanese and English versions.

Please don't make it more confusing by having NoE step in give them even more random name changes. ><

Fasten your seatbelts, kids. Word's going around that Xenoblade X released early in Hong Kong.

Also, you can change your characters sex throughout the game, so you can just mess around with it.

Oh seriously? That's awesome! Thanks for telling me.

Out of curiosity, did the first Xenoblade Chronicles have armor that was like, funny outfits? I know you can wear swimsuits but I was wondering if it had, I dunno, maybe out there costumes like a Matador or something. I'm asking because if there are, then they might be in this one. Just because the thought of exploring a huge, unexplored land wearing a fancy suit and top hat is hilarious. XP

I didn't realize the mechas even had names up until this point.

Not surprising, unless you've been following every scrap of info from Japan, and E3 you would have missed it 

Looking at the avatar presets, the exaggerated anime eyes are distractingly bad on the females, and I don't really like how all of the females look considerably younger than their appropriate male counterparts. The "mature" ones look like they're in their early 20s.

Totally gonna be rocking the one here on top, second from the right. Or maybe the short-haired one to the right of it. They're pretty and are the only ones that don't scream ANIMEEEEEE to me

Yeah I'll get used to Skell eventually, but it does make me wonder what other characters/locations names have been changed between the Japanese and English versions.

Please don't make it more confusing by having NoE step in give them even more random name changes. ><

There's actually a lot more localization that went on, but the change from Doll to Skell is the only one that was obvious. My understanding is that the continents/locations have had some localization done (I can't remember the names off the top of my head, but I read a comparison that brought it up). Far as I know, it hasn't been confirmed if any characters have had their names altered or not and there's the possibility of the guilds getting new names, but I think the latter was more the Treehouse guys really not being sure what may or may not remain the same in the English version.

EDIT: Here's the comparison. Only thing is take "Tatsu-->Tots" lightly. It seems to be more that the u isn't pronounced  in this case. Best example I can think of is how "Senketsu" is pronounced in the English dub of Kill la Kill. The name is the same, but the pronunciation is different. Of course, there may be some localization of a few names, but since the majority of them are Western names, I'm not expecting big changes in localization, at least not compared to some of the changes games like the Last Story went through (or some of the changes/localizations the original Xenoblade had).

Yeah, I'm not liking the character models for this game. It all looks so plasticy. Everything else is good though.