Awoo.

Xenoblade Chronicles X [Wii U]

Carbo

Seeing as how I have a N3DS now (well, I will once Nintendo returns it to me on Friday), I've been tempted to pick up Xenoblade but I'm holding out in case NOA releases the Wii version. Like it'd be 20 dollars cheaper even so if that were to happen I would have zero incentive to buy the 3DS version... but that's only assuming they do it because NOA sucks.

I'm sure they will, its only a matter of when. They may wait until X is almost out, but I'm positive it'll be out by the time it releases.

• 2 weeks later...

New Survival Guide's up.

This time they're talking about combat. Next video will be about Skells.

I'm enjoying these digests, but they do lack the charm of the Japanese overviews, which gave us a bit of the story and having the characters narrate and discuss everything. I suppose that's just the difference in marketing in the regions. NoA really pushed the exploration and openness of the game's world after E3 2014. NoJ pushed the story. Nothing wrong with this approach, but I guess as someone who doesn't really need a lot of convincing to buy this game (fan of the first), I would've liked to have gotten another taste of the localization. But that doesn't matter, the game'll be here in two months!

• 1 month later...

GameExplain's got a look at the English build, and we can hear some of the voices. There's also a funny little callback to the original Xenoblade in the dialogue. There are some spoilers, but you all probably remember this cutscene from the Japanese overviews released earlier in the year (apparently this scene is pretty late in the game, so tread lightly).

Elma jokes about calling Vandham "Colonel Square-tache" which was Reyn's nickname for Colonel Vangarre--whose JPN name was actually Van Damm!

New voices we can hear are Vandham's and Tatsu's.

Little unsure about Tatsu's voice, I don't think it's too far off from the JPN version from what I remember hearing, but I guess I expected something a little more energetic like Riki's voice?

Edited by Zaysho

Before I forget; Nintendo of America are censoring Xenoblade X... I suppose.

Ya know, I was really hoping this wasn't going to come up in this topic...

Even though I personally don't care, it's a decision that makes sense given Lin's age and all, and I'm more surprised some are surprised (I've seen some mixed responses which I still don't understand). Going by Bravely Default's localization alone (editing one of Edea's outfits), people should've expected this... and it's not even a problem considering.

Edited by Zaysho

Nintendo owns the rights to Xenoblade Chronicles X as well as Monolith Soft as a company. This isn't censorship. This is something that they just could not get past in places like the UK, so they instead replace it. And they didn't even remove the swimsuit outfits. All they did was change that one for when you equip it on Lyn.

And I love how some of the commentators mentioned how "oh but XSEED got Senran Kagura through with no issue" even though XSEED removed the ages from the character bios in the games.

Edited by PSI Wind
  • Thumbs Up 4

And people are getting up in arms over changes made to Fatal Frame and Skullgirls, despite the former involving 13 year old girls and the latter being a personal choice among the artists. The end of 2015 is just full of gross gamergaters tbh

• Thumbs Up 4

Japan must think we're a bunch of sissy's for throwing a fit over outfits which you have the option of making a character wear or not.

Ah whatever, Nintendo needs to advertise this game a lot more since it's their only real deal game for the West during the Holidays, not to mention the first Wii U game to really push the Wii U's hardware.

Huh,http://nichegamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/xenoblade-chronicles-x-10-30-15-2.png

Lin Lee is one of the youngest characters in Xenoblade Chronicles X (13 in JP version, 13 in US version (not 15 as previously reported)).

franziska-sweating%28a%29.gif

Good call, NoA. Honestly, creepiness of dressing up a 13-year-old in an outfit that wouldn't even qualify for swim wear aside, I actually find the localized version to actually look cooler and more action-oriented anyway where at best, the other one is boring.

• Thumbs Up 5

And people are getting up in arms over changes made to Fatal Frame and Skullgirls, despite the former involving 13 year old girls and the latter being a personal choice among the artists. The end of 2015 is just full of gross gamergaters tbh

It's funny that you say that when a lot of people on KotakuInAction are either mixed on XCX or actually not bothered by Skullgirls. If anything, it's that censorship is the new buzzword for gaming. People ARE cancelling their preorder for XCX after this came into light though. I hope some of those people had the CE on pre-order because fuck them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait, some people are actually mad enough that they can't dress up a kid in barely-there swimwear to actually boycott this game outright?

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait, some people are actually mad enough that they can't dress up a kid in barely-there swimwear to actually boycott this game outright?

highly doubt that's the sole reason, it's more than they want an unadulterated experience, with nothing changed or cut out; and you gotta vote with your wallet.

Well, those people can stay the fuck out of my fandom.

People saying they'd boycott bother me because I want this game to do very well, and I'm honestly a little angry that this is the hill these people want to die on. I don't care for censorship (though this is a completely self-imposed, internal change, not something done by a third party), nor I don't care about the optional swimsuit outfits because they look tacky, but this is not something that was unexpected or came out of nowhere. Not only is there a precedent for this sort of thing specifically, it's entirely a cosmetic change, and from what I gather, it only affects one freaking character--the underaged girl. Seriously. If everything else is left intact, who gives a shit?

Whatever, good riddance to these people.

-----

So, uh, apparently some of the original Xenoblade cast are returning to voice the player character. In the video I posted yesterday, it seems Carina Reeves, the voice of Fiora, is one of them from the sounds of it. I think we can probably expect Adam Howden (Shulk) to return for one of the male voices. I'm not sure who else will appear, but since most of the original 'blade actors were present as voice options in the JPN version, it's a neat inclusion. Little doubtful they'll get Jenna Coleman (Melia), for example, but it'd be nice to at least get Jay Taylor (Reyn), Rufus Jones (Dunban), or Kellie Bright (Sharla) as well.

Edited by Zaysho

Makes me wonder how people will react if they censor Fire Emblem Fates certain characters like Camilla and Charlotte, which could happen, course if that happens it won't be Kozaki's fault, it would be that Art Directors fault for making that skimpy armor.

Pitch forks and torches perhaps?

Jeez, just take what you can get.

Makes me wonder how people will react if they censor Fire Emblem Fates certain characters like Camilla and Charlotte, which could happen, course if that happens it won't be Kozaki's fault, it would be that Art Directors fault for making that skimpy armor.

Pitch forks and torches perhaps?

Jeez, just take what you can get.

2038273-FEDLC_34201_.jpg

Never forget. I also don't remember much of an outcry when this happened.

2038273-FEDLC_34201_.jpg

Never forget. I also don't remember much of an outcry when this happened.

That's just a CG image through and only in one map, Charlotte and Camilla look skimpy just in their default attire alone and can wear nothing but a swimsuit or bathrobe in battle.

Actually....come to think of it, more people are pissed off about Owain/Odin's attire or any of the females for some reason.

Well, those people can stay the fuck out of my fandom.

People saying they'd boycott bother me because I want this game to do very well, and I'm honestly a little angry that this is the hill these people want to die on. I don't care for censorship (though this is a completely self-imposed, internal change, not something done by a third party), nor I don't care about the optional swimsuit outfits because they look tacky, but this is not something that was unexpected or came out of nowhere. Not only is there a precedent for this sort of thing specifically, it's entirely a cosmetic change, and from what I gather, it only affects one freaking character--the underaged girl. Seriously. If everything else is left intact, who gives a shit?

Whatever, good riddance to these people.

-----

So, uh, apparently some of the original Xenoblade cast are returning to voice the player character. In the video I posted yesterday, it seems Carina Reeves, the voice of Fiora, is one of them from the sounds of it. I think we can probably expect Adam Howden (Shulk) to return for one of the male voices. I'm not sure who else will appear, but since most of the original 'blade actors were present as voice options in the JPN version, it's a neat inclusion. Little doubtful they'll get Jenna Coleman (Melia), for example, but it'd be nice to at least get Jay Taylor (Reyn), Rufus Jones (Dunban), or Kellie Bright (Sharla) as well.

In all honesty, I think most of the people claiming they'll boycott this game will buy the game anyway. In addition, I'd not be shocked at all if this game actually ended up selling better than Tropical Freeze, since its releasing during the Holiday season (when DKC: TF was SUPPOSED to) and its one of the few games of its kind on the console (while there's been tons of 2D platformers on Wii U).

I do think this game is going to sell well. Probably won't hit 1.5m but I think it'll be close, around 1.1-1.3m. Granted, for how big this game is it might not turn a profit if its only around that many sales.

In all honesty, I think most of the people claiming they'll boycott this game will buy the game anyway. In addition, I'd not be shocked at all if this game actually ended up selling better than Tropical Freeze, since its releasing during the Holiday season (when DKC: TF was SUPPOSED to) and its one of the few games of its kind on the console (while there's been tons of 2D platformers on Wii U).

I do think this game is going to sell well. Probably won't hit 1.5m but I think it'll be close, around 1.1-1.3m. Granted, for how big this game is it might not turn a profit if its only around that many sales.

Someone in the Niche Gamer article actually posted pictures of them cancelling their order in the comments. I can guarantee you a lot of them are.

Someone in the Niche Gamer article actually posted pictures of them cancelling their order in the comments. I can guarantee you a lot of them are.

That's pretty ridiculous. People need to chill.

Jeez, people are also throwing a fit over the censoring in Street fighter 5 as well.

Sheesh

Edited by Dantemustdie00

Jeez, people are also throwing a fit over the censoring in Street fighter 5 as well.

Sheesh

Except those actually go against Mika's personality, changing an actual wrestling move, and Cammy's new camera angle is so awfully positioned and less cool looking.