Awoo.

Sonic Chronicles, Cannon or not?

Uraraka

So, Is it cannon or not?

I feel like it isn't cannon based on a few things:

- According to the codex, Rouge doesn't have an interest in Knuckles,and it also states she and him never explored  their  relationship, however, in the "cannon" games, they did.

- Knuckles is still considered the "last of his kind" in the "cannon" games, and he is "the last" not in this game!

- Eggman does not run correctly... ugh! Yeah, kinda creepy actually...

- Shade was never listed as an "official" character.

- the events of the game were never mentioned or implied in any other game, except one level is based off of the marauder's hideout in Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games, which is also a spin-off game.

- Tails is just fine with Sonic leaving and not coming back for a long, long time. Never saw that in another game!

So what do you think? any opinions?

Kevin Eva AKA "Archangel", who works for SEGA, received word from Sonic Team itself that Chronicles is not canon.

Rather ironic considering the many marks it tried to make on continuity :P

It had a rather poor ending....

Edited by knucklesgirl

It had a rather poor ending....

I believe that you are wrong.

It didn't have an ending. The story just stopped and never resumed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

No it isn't canon. I do wish some of it's elements were however, like the Nocturnus clan's Shade and Ix. This series could benefit with more recurring villains.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think another aspect of characterization that contradicts canon is that the heroes also made a preemptive strike on Eggman's base, with the apparent intent to permanently take Eggman down in the process. When it appeared that Eggman might still be alive, Tails and Amy seem pretty upset that their attack failed two years ago.

I find that a bit out of character for the nice-guy heroes of this series; Especially after they shared a rather affable moment on the ARK together. Sonic and company thwart Eggman's schemes, but trying to actually harm the man himself is something I'd expect from Omega, not our squeaky-clean heroes.

• Thumbs Up 5

I actually see less of a problem with the Heroes making a preemptive attack while having more of an issue with the fact that they seemed to do it with lethal intent. I'd actually like to see the Heroes be more proactive and strike at Eggman's plans right at the heart of the moment when he sets his plan inaction, but I don't want it to be to end his life.

• Thumbs Up 4

There's also the way in which the codex makes out that Shadow teamed up with Sonic to take out Eggman in SA2 when no such thing occurred, the multiple times in which Knuckles is stated to be Pachacamac's direct descendant despite the fact that this is literally an impossibility and the tiny Master Emerald...

2iuqhz7.png

as well as the complete disregard for Angel Island's design and it's shrine

sonicchroniclesmapartan.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

I actually see less of a problem with the Heroes making a preemptive attack while having more of an issue with the fact that they seemed to do it with lethal intent. I'd actually like to see the Heroes be more proactive and strike at Eggman's plans right at the heart of the moment when he sets his plan inaction, but I don't want it to be to end his life.

Yeah, that's fine. Trying to capture or actually arrest Eggman is just being responsible, after all.

Like you, my only issue was the apparent lethal intent of the attack (Bioware's early promotional description seems to confirm it as such, too, which said something along the lines of the heroes trying to take Eggman down once and for all). Just seems oddly cold and out of character for the heroes, particularly after working with Eggman to save the world a number of times prior to that game.

• Thumbs Up 2

The majority of the characters acting extremely OOC is a cause for denoting Chronicles as non-canon IMO despite it already being confirmed by Word of God. Sonic? Trusting Eggman? Attacking him with malicious premeditation and expressing the desire that he's gone for good? Expressing what is clearly tremendous dislike when they partner-up? Making it his sworn duty to make Amy feel like shit whenever he gets a chance? Outright snapping at Tails very nastily when the fox expresses chumyness with Eggman and a desire to show him Nocturnus technology? No. This is incredibly jarring, contrary and inconsistent characterization that is simply irreconcilable with Sonic's very well established traits.

• Thumbs Up 6

- Eggman does not run correctly... ugh! Yeah, kinda creepy actually...

I'm actually confused about this. What does the greatest running animation in the history of gaming have to do with the canonocity (or lack thereof) of the game?

• Thumbs Up 2

I know I'm parroting everyone else but it isn't cannon what to ever.

Sonic goes through different characterizations, to the point he even accepts Amy as his love interest if he gives her enough attention. OP mentions that there's more echidnas other than Knuckles, despite his entire species being wiped out. Etc.

And of course it isn't mentioned afterwords so booze.

Edited by Amane Nishiki

Sonic Chronicles IS canon. Although Sega claims it isn't, Sonic Chronicles takes place within the main series's universe and attempts to merge many elements into one story. Just because Sega "says so" doesn't mean it's true.

However, Sonic Chronicles shifts the canon into a different continuity. It starts at some point in the canon and veers into another direction.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Chronicles IS canon. Although Sega claims it isn't, Sonic Chronicles takes place within the main series's universe and attempts to merge many elements into one story. Just because Sega "says so" doesn't mean it's true.

However, Sonic Chronicles shifts the canon into a different continuity. It starts at some point in the canon and veers into another direction.

I see what you're saying, and I think you and Sega are basically saying the same thing with different words, though. When they say "canon" they're basically saying "the ongoing video game continuity." You could, I suppose, say Chronicles is its own completely separate continuity from the other games, in much the same vein as the cartoons, comics, etc.

Edited by Doc Eggman
  • Thumbs Up 1

I guess you could call it cannon considering how many people blew up over it.

SOLKIA

YOU STOLE MY JOKE! >:U

• Thumbs Up 3

as well as the complete disregard for Angel Island's design and it's shrine

You gotta admit, that is a BEAUTIFUL new design for Angel Island. I wouldn't mind having some of that official.

Remember when one of the Mario & Sonic games randomly included a Chronicles reference? At the end of a stage based on Heroes' special stages, I think? Weird.

It's a real pity that the first attempt to flesh out Sonic's world in any meaningful way also happened to be so terrible. I hope Chronicles didn't kill any possibility of getting another (less terrible) RPG sometime.

Sonic Chronicles offered some good ideas and attempted to tie up some loose ends which really needed some fleshing out, but it was being done by a company that clearly hadn't done quite enough research to pull it off. They pulled from a number of games (Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Battle, Sonic Adventure 2, etc...) and attempted to make it all fit without having the same kind of head-canon that a dedicated fan would. They just added some plot points willy nilly and grossly misunderstood the personality of most characters.

Most.

"We could give Big some ice-cream!" -Big, after being asked for an idea suggestion

"My face itches." - Big when encountering Shadow

"Is your name Froggy? No, your name is Sonic. So-nic!" - Big, after Sonic asks if Big was talking to him

"I have an idea!...Er, group hug?" - Big giving advice

"I think my eyes are broken! Oh, wait, no, they're just closed."  - Big being Big

I say most, because their portrayal of Big the Cat was nothing short of fantastic. I hear they did some cool things with Omega as well, but if they had only understood the true personality of each given character, they could have pulled off something great.

A Sonic RPG could have been great. It's a shame that they knew what they were doing only half the time.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 2

I hear they did some cool things with Omega as well, but if they had only understood the true personality of each given character, they could have pulled off something great.

If by "cool things" you mean "essentially copying and pasting in the personality of another character associated with Bioware" then yes.

I also enjoyed the sexual tension between him and Shadow.

Edited by Nix
  • Thumbs Up 2

I say most, because their portrayal of Big the Cat was nothing short of fantastic.

God no. I thought Big was abysmal in this game. Even worse is that Bioware went around specifically promising us that they had managed to raise Big's IQ a little bit, but come release we find that this was his most brain-dead incarnation in the entire series.

He made the leap from slow-on-the-pickup wild man to flat out mental retardation. He could barely comprehend what was going on around him. It was painful to watch. It was that bad.

Edited by Sega DogTagz
  • Thumbs Up 8

I wouldn't take AAUK's word as definitive to be honest. He said the same about the storybook series before Generations came along and made an unavoidable reference to SatSR in its story, with much the same inaccuracy as Chronicles' references. No plot elements in Chronicles are actively wrong. The series' history was poorly researched though. Shadow and Sonic teamed up to beat Eggman in SA2? That's totally false, but it plays no part in Chronicles' events.

If a story doesn't completely contradict events of past games, then why shouldn't it be considered canon? Chronicles specifically sets its story after every other game. It's chronologically the last game in the series, which means it automatically works and it makes sense that none of its elements have appeared since.

The only games that I consider to be of questionable canon are the ones that disregard games where the events are indisputable- roll on the Blaze and Eggman Nega fiasco. And the only reason I see fit to question Chronicles is that it's entire story has been abandoned mid-way.

I know general opinion of Chronicles is pretty bleak and I agree with that, but most people just write it off because of that without actually giving the matter any real thought. If you can consider the storybooks, Riders, Advance and other spin off games canon, then why not Chronicles? It's not really any different. I'm not a fan of picking and choosing what is and isn't canon, so to me if it works, then it's canon.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 5

I wouldn't take AAUK's word as definitive to be honest. He said the same about the storybook series before Generations came along and made an unavoidable reference to SatSR in its story, with much the same inaccuracy as Chronicles' references.

Canon changes sometimes.  Maybe they didn't regard it as canon before Generations was written, but then thought it would be nice to acknowledge it.  Or the writers put it in and Sonic Team didn't think it was important to change it.  The latter seems more likely.  I honestly don't think they care about canon very much.  Loose connections between games are just for the fans.