Awoo.

Sonic 3D Blast / Flickies' Island Discussion

Shikushi

Since I couldn't really find a Sonic 3D topic, I decided to make my own. Here you can tell all your thoughts on Sonic 3D, do you like it or dislike it, what's your opinion on the soundtracks, you can discuss about anything Sonic 3D-related.

Personally I (sort-of) like the game, though the controls are a little slippy, and I would have liked it more if they just made the levels harder, but you didn't have to collect the flickies, so it would feel more like a normal Sonic game.

I know many people don't really care about this game, but I'd be happy if you share your thoughts on it smile.png

Sonic_3D_Blast_Saturn_box_cover.jpg

Edited by SonicDude

Never played the Saturn version, but I did like the Genesis version well enough. There were a few concepts it introduced that I really like, one that's kind of become a staple in Sonic's movepool (Golden Shield *hint hint*).

But, cripes those Special Stages were piss easy!

• Thumbs Up 2

I've said this a lot of times. The game has good points and bad points, but the bad points override the good, thus it is logically a bad game. 

I want to like it, like seriously, I really do. I love the level concepts with all my heart, the Genesis soundtrack kicks ass, but the control and gameplay ruins the entire thing for me.

Still beats me how this game is clarified as 'main series' on the Wikipedia template though. It's more of a spinoff.

• Thumbs Up 5

Didn't we have a topic like this a few months ago?

I actually love Flickies Island, as a child it was actually the sonic game I played the most. It's a little slippy but I still think it's a lot of fun and a decent addition to the series.

I have so many memories of nearly rage quitting when I lost the red flickies, those little bastards were so hard to grab, bouncing alll over he place.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly? I like it.

Maybe it's because I played it on Mega Collection back when I was still an early Sonic fan in the making, and therefore have the old nostalgia bias, but I always had fun with it. I know it's probably not the best concept for a Sonic the Hedgehog game, but in itself, I think it's pretty good, and not even in a so-bad-it's-good way. (Also, the Genesis Special Stages were piss easy for a change, so that was funny.) I was never plagued by any motion sickness blunders, but then that's more likely due to my superhuman ability to never be sick after two years of age.

As for the soundtracks, I prefer the Genesis one by a tiny margin (especially in regards to Rusty Ruin, Volcano Valley, Panic Puppet and the three boss themes), but the Saturn soundtrack is also great (boss themes, Special Stage, Rusty Ruin (again), Gene Gadget).

Oh, and the Final Fight (more the Genesis version) is actually my fifth favourite Sonic final boss of all, simply because of how it contrasts beautifully with all the louder, more dramatic finales.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 2

Never played the Saturn version, but I did like the Genesis version well enough. There were a few concepts it introduced that I really like, one that's kind of become a staple in Sonic's movepool (Golden Shield *hint hint*).

But, cripes those Special Stages were piss easy!

Yea the golden shield makes the game a lot better smile.png

Didn't we have a topic like this a few months ago?

I actually love Flickies Island, as a child it was actually the sonic game I played the most. It's a little slippy but I still think it's a lot of fun and a decent addition to the series.

I have so many memories of nearly rage quitting when I lost the red flickies, those little bastards were so hard to grab, bouncing alll over he place.

I know what you mean...

Honestly? I like it.

Maybe it's because I played it on Mega Collection back when I was still an early Sonic fan in the making, and therefore have the old nostalgia bias, but I always had fun with it. I know it's probably not the best concept for a Sonic the Hedgehog game, but in itself, I think it's pretty good, and not even in a so-bad-it's-good way. (Also, the Genesis Special Stages were piss easy for a change, so that was funny.) I was never plagued by any motion sickness blunders, but then that's more likely due to my superhuman ability to never be sick after two years of age.

As for the soundtracks, I prefer the Genesis one by a tiny margin (especially in regards to Rusty Ruin, Volcano Valley, Panic Puppet and the three boss themes), but the Saturn soundtrack is also great (boss themes, Special Stage, Rusty Ruin (again), Gene Gadget).

Oh, and the Final Fight (more the Genesis version) is actually my fifth favourite Sonic final boss of all, simply because of how it contrasts beautifully with all the louder, more dramatic finales.

I think the Saturn version's soundtrack is a little bit better. Though the Genesis tracks are awesome too. (Mainly talking about Diamond Dust, Rusty Ruin)

Edited by SonicDude

The red Flickies were certainly annoying, but the green ones were the worst.

Every single time I got hit in Rusty Ruin, those birds always fuck off and wander near the flamethrowers. Then it becomes a game of lethal hop-scotch.

• Thumbs Up 1

This game is great on a rainy day.  Sit back and just play it through.  It's not a very long game, nor is it a terribly fun game either.  But the sega saturn versions music and added atmosphere really just screams rainy day game for me.  Same thing with sonic R.  I get that itch every couple years to just sit down and beat it all the way through.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I try my best to like this game, but I just can't. The control is so fucking awkward, and using a Mega Drive controller makes it even harder. The soundtracks are both pretty good, and I love it's core concept, but it's so frustrating and awkward to play that it doesn't even matter.

• Thumbs Up 1

My thoughts on the Genesis version, as it's the only version I've played.

The control and level design in this game just ruin it for me. it feels like Sonic's constantly sliding on ice (worse still in the game's token ice level), which can lead into you accidentally sliding into enemies. It's also why I avoid the speed shoes at all times.

The reason why I dislike the level design is because of the game's poor depth perception, which makes things like precision platforming and jumping on badniks everywhere. If you're not rocking a Homing Attack shield, I recommend you just spindash into everything. If you're not spot-on you lose any flickies you picked up and have to get them back. Sometimes you'll swear you were on the mark, but nope, BEEDELEEDELEEDELEEDELIIIING (that's my onomatopoeia for losing rings).

This poor depth perception also makes levels Gene Gadget a major pain in the dick. There's this particular section in Act 2, where you have to jump across a bunch a platforms to get further in the level. If you miss one of these platforms, a slide awaits below to take you to the section you were in before you got there, and you have to do it all over again. Not fun, Sega.

The Special Stages in the Genesis version get a lot of flak for being too easy, but in a game like this, I openly welcome such non-challenges. The main game is hair-losingly frustrating already, I don't need the Special Stages driving me to break my controller. They might be my favorite in the series, second to Sonic 1's.

As for the game's pros, it looks good even today, and the music is fantastic. Jun Senoue's stuff is decent enough (save for Spring Stadium. Blandness ahoy), and Tatsuyuki Maeda's stuff is glorious, and does a great job of pushing the Genesis soundchip to its limits.

Overall, bad game, nice graphics, great music.

Edited by Dizcrybe
  • Thumbs Up 2

Aw this game. It's a bad game at least in the slipperiness of the genesis version, I hate having to collect

flickies, but the soundtrack is definitely its strongest quality in both versions w/the sega saturn/pc versions having a better soundtrack overall.

• Thumbs Up 1

I enjoy this game quite a bit. I have had the Genesis version since I was a kid and always thought it was okay, but I got the Saturn version not long ago and it's a lot better. I play it with the Saturn 3D controller and it really makes a world of difference.

• Thumbs Up 1

The red Flickies were certainly annoying, but the green ones were the worst.

Every single time I got hit in Rusty Ruin, those birds always fuck off and wander near the flamethrowers. Then it becomes a game of lethal hop-scotch.

True, the green flickies can go fuck themselves. 

Edited by SonicDude

I had the Mega Drive version. I like the music, and most of the levels; Green Grove, Rusty Ruin and errr... that ice level are pretty fun. The others are kind of annoying. The isometric viewpoint on the Mega Drive was really amazing to look at (at the time!) but sometimes controlling Sonic felt a bit awkward. Easily fixed with the golden shield which gave you a homing-attack-esque move, but still...

I thought the Special Stages were awful, though. They looked really bland compared to previous ones and I didn't like the system of trading rings with Tails or Knuckles. Scouring the zone for rings is not fun and they looked like dodgy bootleg dealers! XD

The gimmick of the Flickies following you is extreeeeemely cute, but losing them is such a pain in the ass!

Edited by MamboCat

...the golden shield gives a homing attack esque move??

Are you freaking kidding me!

So everytime I completed this using the gold shield as a fire shield it had homing attack properties!!

F

M

L

!!

There actually is a topic like this already. I myself made it, but it died pretty quickly, so yeah.

Anywho, this game is alright in my book. I've only played the Genesis version, and for what I played it's fun in short bursts.

This was one of the first games I played on my Genesis along with Sonic 3 & Gunstar Heroes. I actually like this game alot. It was graphically impressive for its time I will admit. The music is fantastic too - both versions. If I choose, definitely Genesis, but the Richard Jaques compositions on the sat urn are top tier as well. Who knows, it probably is nostalgia bias (like Dr. Crusher said) x10 since I played it on actual genesis. Good times

This was actually the 2nd Sonic game I got back in 1999 (first one was Sonic 3 & Knuckles), so I was pretty excited when I received it as a Christmas present. XD I got the PC version, which, if I remember well, it was quite similar to the Saturn version, other than the special stages, and some graphic effects.

Maybe, well, most likely the fact that it's one of the first Sonic games I played is one of the reasons I enjoyed this game. It's even nostalgic for me. lol The ''3D angle'' was interesting, the soundtrack was great and it was fun collecting those Flickies (although it was quite frustrating at times). Still, I wouldn't put it on the top 5 worst Sonic games, like some other people do, but I can also see why so many don't like it. It was quite different from the past games before it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yippy my first comment reply ever! Congratulations whoever lucky person gets to enjoy my comment!

Sega Genesis (Name in N America)

Sonic 3D Blast (Name in N America) - The only Sonic game I was able to get when little though played or rented others back than.

I liked it. The only bad thing is that Tails and Knuckles were not playable characters. Generally for me all was easy than except level 5 boss and level 7 in. It is the only Sonic game that I beaten without cheating!

My difficulty rating: V=Very E=Easy M=Medium H=Hard

Green Grove VE

Rusty Ruin E (Boss VE)

Spring Stadium E *FUN LEVEL with CRAZY MUSIC!*

Diamond Dust VE *MUSIC RULEZ!*

Volcano Valley E (Boss H) *Act 2 MOST SAD SONIC MUSIC EVER!*

Gene Gadget E

Panic Puppet M *Act 2 END OF THE WORLD MUSIC!*

Final Fight E

Special Stage Knuckles VE

Special Stage Tails E.

I love the game. It soundtrack (on Saturn even though I played the Genesis title) is amazing especially "Diamond Dust Zone" acts 1 & 2 which I play every Christmas. Collecting the Flickys are fun, but a pain in the butt to collect if you got hit. I'm looking at you fat green and red birds. The Special Stages I only like Knuckles as Tails's Special Stages are hard (Genesis). The controls are easy to use and very simple as you only have jumping and spin dashing (unless you have the Golden Shield). Overall I love this fun and very unique Sonic game.

I had never played the Mega Drive version until Sonic Mega Collection on the Gamecube first hit the shelves. So all my memories are of the Saturn version. It was the second Sonic game I brought on my Saturn after Sonic Jam.

It wasn't the Sonic I was used to. But being a huge fan I took that in stride when I was younger. The CD quality audio was awesome back then, i always lean towards the Saturn tracks over the Mega Drive ones, but that is probably due to me having only played that version for some time before i got the other later on. The 3D special stages which had Tails or Knuckles fly you in and drop you into the half-pipe were pretty wicked too, even after seeing Sonic in 3D in Sonic Jam. I loved the additions of the tunnels, twists and springs, as well as the mid air platforms in the half pipe too.

The level themes were fun and distinct and having played isometric games before (like Landstalker or Spot goes to Hollywood, which was also on the Saturn) the controls never bothered me.

Since it was basically the only "proper" new Sonic game on the Saturn, I have fond memory's of playing it a lot. So to me its a very enjoyable game, and one of the better side-games they came up with. When someone mentions the Saturn this always pops into my head, so to me it belongs up there with Sonic Jam, Panzer Dragoon, Shining Force 3, Nights, Burning Rangers, Saturn Bomberman etc etc

Also being from a PAL country I have always preferred the Flickies Island name rather than 3D Blast. 3D Blast always makes me think of that Game Gear game >.<

I've only ever played the Megadrive version so I hope they re-release the Saturn version one day.

That said I can understand why they wouldn't. I have trouble playing Sonic 3D for more than a few levels because of how tedious it is and how it drags on. After I've collected like 15 Flickies I'm over it. It would be better if there were only 5 Flickies per level instead of 5 Flickies per section.

I do like the special stages though. Sonic 2's special stages are so cheap, the Sonic 3D stages let you actually see the obstacles in front of you, instead of swerving you into them. It was the first game I ever collected all the chaos emeralds in, back when I could actually stand to play more than one level at a time. But even then I couldn't bring myself to beat the game. I got to Volcano Valley and basically gave up when the Flickies kept jumping away from me over lava.

The Genesis version, the only version I have played, was my first Sonic game ever and that's probably the only reason I have such a tolerance for it.  I can see why a lot of people don't like it.  It's essentially one long, repetitive fetch quest where every stage is an ice stage (which means don't get me started on the controls for the actual ice stage!) and insultingly easy bonus stages.  Still, I always find myself having tons of fun when playing through it, and I'd go so far as to say if they simply strayed from the scavenger hunt format and instead made the game a straightforward platformer, then maybe we'd have something--not something amazing, but something mind you--to actually compete with Super Mario 64.

The slippery controls are irksome, yes, but they're not game ruining.  I'd have been more than willing to play a straightforward platformer with that kind of control and 3D perspective back in the day, and I still would now if the engine weren't so outdated.

Gameplay aside, the game itself has many strengths to combat its substandard gameplay.  For one, it has an amazing soundtrack in both versions, which has been remixed in used in many games.  (Windy Valley in SA1 for example)  The graphics are cute and were rather impressive for the time.  I'll admit that Green Grove zone had some rather ugly shades of green, however.  Finally, the bosses are masterfully designed and are a blast to fight.

In other words, I love it, but even with all the nostalgia goggles, I can't say it's the best Sonic game by any means.

It not that hard to collect flickies! Why lot people find this hard? What to do if you lose your flickies? This be how I do it.

Step 1: Immediately get 1 ring if there is danger than immediately get all green flickies.

Step 2: Slowly walk to area where you got hit and the blue birds will come to you. The purple birds will begin to circle at you.

Step 3: Where you got hit red birds will be jumping around there jump with them to get them.

Step 4: I lost green flickies?! They like being at edges!

I've played the Sega Genesis version through Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. *Yawn, what a bore. Control with a Xbox 360 thumbstick feels really loose and slippery, and the platforming is complete and utter balls. It seems like half the time I try to jump onto a moving platform, I phase right through it! To be honest though, I don't find it to be all that bad. I just hate the isometric view and collecting flickies for a whole game. Seriously, the red flicky can go f**k himself. I hate how he's always hopping up and down. It takes me a while to rescue him. The levels themselves are alright. I don't have a problem with Green Grove or Rusty Ruin, aside from obviously overstaying their welcome, but Spring Stadium is just a huge cluster f**k of a level, especially if you're looking for Tails and Knuckles. By the time I got to Diamond Dust, I just felt drained and shut the game off.

I can say two nice things about the game. One, I love the visual design/ aesthetics of levels such as Green Grove, Spring Stadium, and Diamond Dust. They all look really colorful, and I think the 3d renders blend in well with the enviroment. Two, I can't get enough of the Genesis soundtrack, which I enjoy much more than the Saturn version. Green Grove, Diamond Dust, and Panic Puppet act 1 will never, EVER, leave my head. In fact, 3d blast's Genesis soundtrack is probably my favorite genesis soundtrack next to Sonic 3 & K.

Sharing my thoughts, I can't believe I ever thought Taxman should remake this game a couple months ago. That was probably my most redundant thread I've ever created.

Edited by Chaos Incarnate
  • Thumbs Up 1