Awoo.

Sonic 3D Blast / Flickies' Island Discussion

Shikushi

The Genesis/Megadrive version was meh for me, but the Saturn version was amazing. I bought a used Saturn just for it. Jacques' music combined with the fresh new graphics made the game feel so magical. I mean have you listened to Jacques' version of Rusty Ruin? Amazing.

Edited by GuywithPie3376

This was my very first Sonic game and I played it with my brand new Windows 98.

I don't like playing the game anymore because I grew up with the Saturn soundtrack and the Genesis one feels too weird for me despite being some fine music in its own right. The Saturn version is pretty inaccessable these days and its more wide-spread Genesis counterpart is just not the version of the game I grew up with.

• Thumbs Up 1

I first played Sonic 3D Blast for the Genesis on the SEGA Channel way back when that was still around. I remember thinking that the graphics looked amazing at the time, and ended up buying it when it was still relatively new. I also bought the Saturn version years later, when I found an extremely cheap used copy.

As for the game itself, I think it's... decent, although it has an extremely dated feel to it, and hasn't really withstood the test of time as well as the "main" 16-bit Sonic games. The controls are slippery, the collision detection is pretty bad at times, and all of the running back and forth gets really old, really fast. Even back when it was new, I didn't think it was that great, but I played through it multiple times anyway because I kind of didn't have a life. :P It has its good points though, and it's not a bad game by any means, but it's not really something I ever come back to anymore, even in moments of extreme boredom.

Like others have said, the soundtracks for both versions are amazing. I think I prefer the Saturn version just a little bit more overall, but to me, nothing beats the 16-bit Diamond Dust Zone melody.