Awoo.

Sonic Lost World - Music Thread

Soniman

My god, I just realized what this music reminds me of. It's a lot like the Tres Bien music from Phoenix Wright 3.

Zat is, how you say, magnifique!

tumblr_m0z76mn1tv1qb59nf.gif

• Thumbs Up 5

Here's an extended version of Windy Hill without SFX:

http://youtu.be/2UAVfu126AY

That's cool, but it still isn't the actual full version. Because when I listened to the tune in the gameplay videos, there are some more parts to the song, which is cool. Can't wait to hear the rest.

Edited by Soniman

Look what turned up recently today. A nice clean version of Windy Hill ^^

Man, THATS how you start a level :)

The music makes you feel a strong sense of wonder, something that perfectly fits with the games new open level design :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a rip of the 3ds Desert Ruins Zone 2 its got sound effects though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V7g9CO2xnE

Why do people even bother doing things like that? They just took the one video we have of that stage and got rid of the visual part. Stupidly pointless.

• Thumbs Up 7

Yeah, as much as I like what I've heard of Sonic Lost World's soundtrack (as expected of a Sonic soundtrack), it doesn't beat Colours or Generations for me and that music from the truffle-bouncing level sounds so un-sonic-y it's not even funny.

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 4

I get a big Pokemon vibe from Windy Hill and Desert Ruins 2. The latter does sound unusual, but so is seeing an all-out food level in Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, as much as I like what I've heard of Sonic Lost World's soundtrack (as expected of a Sonic soundtrack), it doesn't beat Colours or Generations for me and that music from the truffle-bouncing level sounds so un-sonic-y it's not even funny.

Considering the wide range of genre's and styles that Sonic music has covered over the years, the music to Desert Zone 1 isn't even remotely out of the range of Sonic styled music.

Considering the wide range of genre's and styles that Sonic music has covered over the years, the music to Desert Zone 1 isn't even remotely out of the range of Sonic styled music.

It's........just generic candy level music. Nothing really unique about it. Which is where the "un-sonic-y" statement came from. 

It sounds like a song I'd hear upon going through the options on my 3DS.

I was unimpressed when I first heard a couple of tracks from Lost World, but they've grown on me quite a bit. Desert Ruins is too slow for my liking, but it certainly fits the level. Windy Hill's music didn't sound Sonic-esque to me at first, but hearing it again,the piano work is beautiful. I just don't know why they're using an instrumental version of Sonic Heroes for the invincibility track. Seriously, why this song of all songs? What's the point? I do like that song, but I find it lazy to just take an instrumental version of it and use it for a power up. It could be a place holder track, but nothing is certain. I'm just glad Tomoya Ohtani is composing the soundtrack. I would have liked to see Jun Senoue return, but Tomoya did compose my favorite Sonic soundtrack of all time, Sonic Unleashed. Overall, I'm looking forward to hearing Lost World's soundtrack when the game comes out in October (the 3ds version, which is the one I'm purchasing.)

Some bad news I spotted. Facebook page recently he stated on the 24 of June

'We had a big birthday party at Tokyo Joypolis yesterday to celebrate Sonic's 22nd b-day. I don't work on the latest Sonic game called "Sonic Lost World" but I attended to the event to promote other Sonic related topics.'

This means no Jun tracks in Lost World :-( Heck, probably means no Crush 40 in Lost World. Here's the link to his page.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/JunSenoue82?fref=ts

I think it's a good thing Jun is stepping back a bit on main Sonic games now let the younger composers get their work out their and let them shine as much I love Jun Senoue's music it's a good thing.

Edited by Shaddix Leto Croft
  • Thumbs Up 1

Some bad news I spotted. Facebook page recently he stated on the 24 of June

That's good news as far as I'm concerned. Jun didn't work on Colours, Unleashed or '06 (much) and they were all better for it. His contributions to Generations were the usually weakest in the soundtrack. S4, Black Knight, Generations... I'm not a big fan of the guy at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

True, I enjoyed 06 & Colours. I'm just a bit sad cause I like the guy, such a nice bloke. The only bad part is that this probably means Cash Cash would do a vocal theme & I only liked one of their vocal songs.

True, I enjoyed 06 & Colours. I'm just a bit sad cause I like the guy, such a nice bloke. The only bad part is that this probably means Cash Cash would do a vocal theme & I only liked one of their vocal songs.

In Cash Cash's defence, they only wrote the lyrics to music that had already been composed by Ohtani.

Jun isn't a man of variety. He's a good composer when he's in his element, which is to say, rock music. That and a few of S4E2's tracks were really good (Sky fortress Act 2 and 3, White Park, Metal Sonic Boss, and Death Egg Mk. II). Also Chemical Plant Modern is Boss.

While is probably not ideally suited to be Sound Director for a game like Lost World (though he'd probably do as in Generations and let the other composers do their work, and himself handle a few tracks), I don't think his style of music would be so massively wrong for the game.

I mean Desert Ruins Candy Land stage has frankly, horribly dull music, I wouldn't be opposed to having that soft candy stage being ripped up by some guitar riffs, just to add some character to its awfully bland design.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think the song for Desert Ruins' candy stage is fine. I wouldn't have considered the main tracks for Dusty Desert from 06 or Lost World from SA1 to be that "Sonic-y" of songs, but because they suited the stage so much it was fine. At least its fairly catchy and fun to listen to.

SLW's soundtrack just seems to be as stellar as Sonic soundtracks tend to be, from what I've heard so far. Windy Hill 1 is great and Desert Ruins: Honeycomb Boogaloo is probably my favorite of the bunch. But what do I know, I'm judging a soundtrack on three songs. :P

I think the song for Desert Ruins' candy stage is fine. I wouldn't have considered the main tracks for Dusty Desert from 06 or Lost World from SA1 to be that "Sonic-y" of songs, but because they suited the stage so much it was fine. At least its fairly catchy and fun to listen to.

Well there is an argument to be made that the candy stage doesn't really fit the Sonic franchise either, but I guess that's debatable, given that its a one-off. In any case, I don't find it to be particularly memorable, unlike a rather large majority of Sonic tracks from previous games.

I don't really have a problem with Senoue not working on this. I liked Ep. I's music more than most people and I thought Ep. II's was great, but Ohtani and co are still around. Colors had some great music.

Cash Cash can be around as long as they don't do another vocal theme, if you ask me.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'ma be the odd one out and say I don't mind Cash Cash's vocal themes. Crush 40's are better, though, but they wouldn't really fit this game.

• Thumbs Up 4

While I'm dissapointed Jun won't return, I'm still glad we've got Tomoya Ohtani is composing the soundtrack. i just hope Jun Senoue's later work will end up surpassing Sonic Adventure's soundtrack, and will never revert back to the crap that is Sonic 4's soundtrack.

Ya know I just thought of something, what if the current direction that the sonic series is going (lot more bright cheery and less story and characters) means that there also just gonna get rid of the crush 40 themes in general and just go with cash cash, I mean they do go well with the current games as it is but what if this turns out to be the case?

Crush 40 were already being phased out by the time 06 rolled around, they were thrown a bone with Black Knight, but other than that they haven't done anything noteworthy for the series.