Awoo.

Sonic Lost World - Music Thread

Soniman

So, am I the only one who actually likes Thundercloud Acropolis? I kinda like the crapsack-y feel it gives since it fits the actual situation story-wise, gives me some ''The world is ending and you can't do anything to stop it'' vibes.

• Thumbs Up 6

Gotta say, Volume 2 of the Soundtrack is looking to be my least favourite so far. Out of all of it, -

-Frozen Factory [All]

-Green Hover / Grey Quake

-Midnight Owl

-Deadly Six Theme [violin]

-Invincible / Speed Up

-Lost World Jingle

are the only ones that do it for me, whereas with Volume 1 I like nearly all of it. When I get Volume 3, I'll be sure to rate that as well.

My copy of the OST came today and it looks a lot nicer holding it than seeing a scan of the art online, it's got a neat sparkle effect on it that makes it look wild. The third disc is kind of awkwardly on the back of the case but overall it's nice. Overall it comes together a lot like Colors' OST what with the orientation being more vertical than horizontal. I just wish there was more English in the booklet, like usual. :P

If you don't like SLW's Icktastic 10 minute photoshop copy and paste job album cover for the soundtrack, Dark Sonic over at Retro whipped out a very nice Fan Variant for us to use.

Check it out:

uGpTczP.png

Remember to give Dark Sonic @ Sonic Retro full credit if you are gonna spread it around.

Kelloggs-Totes-Amazeballs-008.jpg

As for this soundtrack, I can't stop listening to it. It's just too good.

Tomoya Ohtani is my favorite composer for the series, as he's made so many of my favourite tracks...Rooftop Run is a prime example. From the joyousness of Windy Hill to the climactic Eggman Showdown (seriously, why doesn't this thing have a name? Screw it, I'm calling it the Zeti Robo.), this OST has got to be my absolute favorite for 3D Sonic. Yes, it has defininte streaks of Mario in tracks like Tropical Coast 1, but I enjoy it too much to say that it takes away from it. It's got a bit of everything for me, even some tracks that feel like Unleashed 2.0.

The Top 10 that I've listened to the most frequently, in no particular order:

• Honeycomb Highway
  • Sea Bottom Segue
  • Owl Lights
  • Cutscene - The Rise of the Six
  • Cutscene - Tails Get's An Upgrade?
  • Dragon Dance
  • Boss Rushes
  • Dr Eggman Showdown
  • The Deadly Six Theme (Orchestra)
  • Thundercloud Acropolis

In my eyes, despite my initial doubts, this soundtrack is an absolute winner.

Totaly forgot that one!

It's soooo good! Back when the game was revealed I said it would be nice if we had a Tornado level with Tornado Defense Act 1 (Unleashed) remixed, but wow, that Believe in Myself remix is just perfect biggrin.png

Am I the only one who thinks that Desert Ruins Zone 2 is a lot more fitting for Savanna Citadel than Skyscraper Scamper?

Am I the only one who thinks that Desert Ruins Zone 2 is a lot more fitting for Savanna Citadel than Skyscraper Scamper?

It's certainly a bright and sunny track that would fit well, but while I don't understand how people read so much into it to proclaim it a remix, it certainly does share jazzy elements with Skyscraper Scamper, while it shares nothing other than optimistic mood with Savannah Citadel.

Though I will say I think Skyscraper Scamper's instrumentation reflects the vastness of the stage much better than Honeycomb Highway ever could.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erm... really?

I can't follow that train of thought. Savannah Citadel is set in a giant sand/mud building, grassland and baobab trees. All very distinctly African. Desert Ruins 2/Honeycomb Highway is jazz, something very associated with New York. The only time where I could slightly understand where you're coming from is with those flutes/woodwind instruments in HH, but it doesn't really hold up.

• Thumbs Up 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTbZgid5Aww

I think Wonder World has surpassed both the Sonic Unleashed and Colors orchestral themes for me. It's really grown on me over the past few months, the piano and trumpets are just so amazing. It's short but sweet, but likes to keep things at a speedy pace with a lot going on, and it doesn't overstay its welcome. I can't get enough of it, it's definitely my favorite song in the whole entire Lost World OST(and that's saying a hell of a lot).

• Thumbs Up 1

Dat final boss music tho!

http://youtu.be/Lf8YBx-noOs

The boss fight was fun but it was too short but the music made it even more epic.

Very thrilling I must say.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the biggest reason the final boss is so short is because we aren't able to sing along to the tune of the main theme song, as there is no lyrics for Wonder World. wink.png

In all seriousness, very nice indeed. My favorite part of the final boss tune has got to be that violin moment there. It really makes it sound like a sad, desperate situation. Let us give credit to the boss theme for managing to incorporate both the dark, tense beat and the upbeat one into a single piece... normally Sonic splits the final boss theme into two parts, but here it's merged them more or less well. Not bad at all!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm pleasantly surprised over how damn good the Deadly Six boss themes are in this game. Hell, I think The Deadly Six boss themes are the best original boss songs in the series since Sonic Rush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBHMCgWj2_E

The version I'm leaning toward right now would have to be the Boss rush version, that choir gives me goosebumps, I love the intro, and it comes off as the most threatening.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's depressing that the Final Boss theme feels so menacing and powerful, especially with the violin, but yet the situation in the story leading to that point and the battle itself doesn't nearly match the tone it gives. 

So I guess nobody knows what the song used in the Play Together trailer was then :<

Well, it's not from the game. I recommend you Shazam it.

I posted a status about this but status updates come and go so just thought I'd share again here:

In Windy Hill Act 2, when you approach Zazz's boss area, the percussion fades out, leaving you with a peaceful sounding variable mix of the music.  Doesn't appear on the OST in any form, and you can only listen to it for extended periods of time by literally stopping and standing there.  It's in the area just between the final badnik on the stage and the boss battle.

• Thumbs Up 2

You know, after getting the OST yesterday and listening to the whole thing, it's really cemented my opinion that Lost World is by far one of the weakest soundtracks the Sonic series has had since, well, almost ever- and bar maybe one or two games, it's almost definitely one of the weakest soundtracks we've had since Sonic Adventure.

That said, admittedly, that means 'worst of a very strong bunch'. It's still a good soundtrack, it just seems like it has very few genuine standout pieces. Aside from maybe the main theme/ Windy Hill etc and their variants, onlye Sea Bottom Segue and perhaps the Deadly Six theme are the only ones I could really consider earworms. 

I think the absence of vocal tracks and Jun in general really show. It's still a good soundtrack, but considering Sonic games tend to be almost excellent-as-standard in that regard, this one really feels a little underwhelming by comparison.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm a sucker for orchestral pieces in general, but even I'd agree with that statement. All previous soundtracks have had a mixture of composers, and even a wild mix of genres, so the better songs would stand out more. In a lot of the same, good songs just.. sort of... blend in, with only one or two ever making a massive stand.

Although from my listening, I can state at least eight songs from the soundtrack that I like, although with others, there are a lot more.

I kinda disagree with that. I felt like this has a lot of variety in it. You've got your calm tunes like Windy Hill 2 & 3, and the "rock and roll" pieces like the D6 theme variations and the final boss theme, as well as Lava Mountain 3. There's also stuff like the nice and "stealth-ey" music tracks in Silent Forest 2, and the funky theme of Frozen Factory 3. I personally think that's a good amount of different types of themes.

That's not to say it's as varieties as Unleashed or Adventure though, but I find it to be just as good.

I think the absence of vocal tracks and Jun in general really show. It's still a good soundtrack, but considering Sonic games tend to be almost excellent-as-standard in that regard, this one really feels a little underwhelming by comparison.

Jun was absent from the Rush series, '06, Unleashed, Colours and SatSR. Heck, after ShTH he took a hiatus pretty much, only coming back to do SatBK, Generations and S4 (and two tracks in Rivals 2). His absence isn't what adversely affected SLW, it's the fact that 99% of it was composed by Ohtani. Ohtani is bloody brilliant, but you can so tell he was spread thin on this project.

• Thumbs Up 8

Jun was absent from the Rush series, '06, Unleashed, Colours and SatSR. Heck, after ShTH he took a hiatus pretty much, only coming back to do SatBK, Generations and S4 (and two tracks in Rivals 2). His absence isn't what adversely affected SLW, it's the fact that 99% of it was composed by Ohtani. Ohtani is bloody brilliant, but you can so tell he was spread thin on this project.

Actually remembering some of the credits of the game and checking the Retro wiki Jun actually was part of '06, Unleashed, Rivals and Free Riders ranging from being in charge of the production of the vocal themes to just playing his guitar on some tracks. And even though it's not listed on the wiki I remember seeing his name in the SatSR credits but that might be wrong though.