Awoo.

Sonic Lost World - Music Thread

Soniman

Nope.  Music was in the Summer of Sonic trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNhGO_CRPLc&list=FLSyl-5KoV_R_duZQU6EWrSQ&index=5

Oh yeah, I forgot it was in there. Thanks :) 

I finally heard what we got so far of the soundtrack with earbuds (yeah, took me that long), and my love for the OST tripled. It's glorious. I'm predicting that this OST will top SA1's, yes, SA1's. I currently have the factory theme of Frozen Factory stuck in my head, and I have absolutely no problem with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5g5JLCKdpU

Oh hi there epic piano music from the title screen, good to see you're still around.

I'm really digging this tune. It's got a very serene feel to it, that optimistic yet mysterious feel that precedes an epic adventure. Reminds me of music I'd hear in Kingdom Hearts or Banjo Kazooie or something.

I'm really interested to see if this will be just the instrumental theme of some lyrical tune or not, myself...

After the firs t12 seconds of the title music (Which sounds like Unleashed and Colors), the title screen music gets really awesome and is so different to the usual Sonic music. I'm surprised.

After the firs t12 seconds of the title music (Which sounds like Unleashed and Colors), the title screen music gets really awesome and is so different to the usual Sonic music. I'm surprised.

It really sounds peaceful, gentle and mystical. I'd be tempted to put it on repeat and just fall asleep listening to it...

It's also adding a lot to the dreamy, surreal feel the game has going for it, I think, which is a plus. Since this game is looking somewhat akin to a spiritual successor of Colors, I ponder if the title tune will be an instrumental version of some yet to be released lyrical theme (as was the case with Colors)... or if it will be the theme in and of itself. I think it's obvious by now which direction I'm hoping for; it'd be a real bummer if they broke 11 years of tradition. sad.png

Well, Generations didn't have a vocal theme. However, I think that was due to what the game was rather than the start of a trend.

Well, Generations didn't have a vocal theme. However, I think that was due to what the game was rather than the start of a trend.

My thoughts precisely. The game wanted to unify fans rather than divide them (a sentiment shown at the unified face the fandom presents at the Sonic Boom events inaugurated with the game's release, even), so it makes sense they wanted to go for a neutral, classic theme rather than a potentially-dividing one in a lyrical beat. If nothing else, Sonic Youth is the fanon theme for the game, given how it commemorates many of Sonic's years and his most well-received trait: his music.

So, I'm hopeful there is a vocal theme, they've merely kept it under wraps for now. Given how the company seems to be somewhat confused this year, it makes sense it hasn't found its way out via a leak or something yet.

Given that the start of the title theme is Windy Hill, though, I'm not sure whether to be optimistic...

Edited by Eciruam Eivligo

I wonder who'd do the theme, though. I kind of hope someone new so they can people who fit the style of the game, but it'd be kind of nice to see Crush 40 return to a main game for the first time since Shadow. I can't say I like all of their titles, but Knight of the Wind and Live Life, especially Live Life, were really fantastic and those are the latest themes I can think of theirs. Still even then, All Ends took over the final boss music there.

I do like the different musicians for each game thing they have going on, though.

Also, thinking about it, Chip's theme was also much more subdued than the usual Sonic themes.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder who'd do the theme, though. I kind of hope someone new so they can people who fit the style of the game, but it'd be kind of nice to see Crush 40 return to a main game for the first time since Shadow. I can't say I like all of their titles, but Knight of the Wind and Live Life, especially Live Life, were really fantastic and those are the latest themes I can think of theirs. Still even then, All Ends took over the final boss music there.

It really is a shame Lee Brotherton will probably never work with SEGA again after that copyright incident. He has a very soothing voice that would fit a more gentle theme without being addicted to a vocoder like Cash Cash.

Crush 40's demonstrated an ability to do softer songs, but I think they'll sit this game out given they only seem to be thrown in if Jun Sunoue's a major part of the composition. We might see a return of Cash Cash... or likely someone entirely new, as we saw with Dear My Friend and Endless Possibilities.

• Thumbs Up 1

Correct me if Im wrong, but when Sonic Team was developing SA2 we never got to listen Live and Learn anywhere, just little pieces of it from the title screen of the demo.

Couldn't they be doing the same here? Never playing the music until the part where they want it to actually play so that it will give a bigger impact? 

I hope they have a theme for this game, they've always had a theme for every main console sonic game since adventure. I'd hate see to see the chain be broken. I don't count sonic generations since it hardly had any new music other than remixes, and it was more a special  game that influence mostly by the past .

I seriously love Windy Hill's theme song. The piano in it is just plain beautiful. Frozen Factory act 1's song is also easy on the ears, I can't wait to hear all of it when it comes out. But pretty pretty please with sugar on top, this game better have a vocal theme song!

Correct me if Im wrong, but when Sonic Team was developing SA2 we never got to listen Live and Learn anywhere, just little pieces of it from the title screen of the demo.

Couldn't they be doing the same here? Never playing the music until the part where they want it to actually play so that it will give a bigger impact?

That's what I'm hoping for, personally.

For most of the trailers we got Cinema's instrumental version, and now it looks like we're finally getting music from inside the game for trailers... presumably any theme tune will pop up shortly before release. I mean, annoyingly catchy songs were a thing for Colors and Unleashed, I don't see why they'd scrap the idea all of a sudden. Never mind, vocal themes are a symbol of Sonic as far as I know... how many video game fandoms have an entire library of songs fans can sing along with, rather than one or two?

Edited by Eciruam Eivligo

Having a main theme will be nice again. I always looked forward to hearing a new theme fro ma new sonic game and then having that theme in final boss. =D

• Thumbs Up 1

It's safe to say that any theme will be orchestrated as well... besides Tomoya Ohtani being the main composer, you have the fact that barring the spinoffs, rock themes have vanished ever since 06.

I'm hoping for a main theme especially because the Time Eater theme just seemed... off. I'm so used to the final boss beat having to do with the main theme song that it was just strange for the boss to have its own separate theme for the first time in 13+ years. I guess the number 13 really is unlucky, huh?

Overall though I have rose-tinted glasses for the final boss being a remix of the main theme. But at least I admit it!

Honestly, I think I would prefer for the main theme to be instrumental. At least then, I won't have to deal with weird, cheesy lyrics. I'm hoping for an instrumental theme, because I'm not very fond of recent vocal tracks in the series.

Fair enough, the vocal themes do have mixed reception among mainstream, rather than diehard fans. I think that's the reason they axed a theme for Generations ultimately; they wanted a game that wouldn't be a basebreaker and would appeal to all. The massive nostalgia trip aside.

Vocal themes do give the diehards who go to the various conventions and meetups something to sing along to, though!

Fair enough, the vocal themes do have mixed reception among mainstream, rather than diehard fans. I think that's the reason they axed a theme for Generations ultimately; they wanted a game that wouldn't be a basebreaker and would appeal to all. The massive nostalgia trip aside.

Vocal themes do give the diehards who go to the various conventions and meetups something to sing along to, though!

I am a diehard fan, you know... and yes, I understand that there's a lot of fans that prefer them, but I just don't like Sonic Team's recent choices for bands to perform vocal themes; especially Cash Cash's songs in Sonic Colors.

I am a diehard fan, you know... and yes, I understand that there's a lot of fans that prefer them, but I just don't like Sonic Team's recent choices for bands to perform vocal themes; especially Cash Cash's songs in Sonic Colors.

This is true. The shift from Crush 40's rock and quasi-metal to the perky, upbeat music was quite a shocker. When one has grown up with the likes of Live and Learn and Open Your Heart, Reach for the Stars can seem out of place.

That in mind, evidence points to any theme of Lost World being more on par with Lee Brotherton, Jaret Reddick, or Cash Cash's contributions... so it would make sense for one to not be as enthusiastic about a vocal theme for Lost World.

Personally, I just hope they don't break over a decade of tradition, given that this game isn't designed to be a massive nostalgia trip.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pft, I can only hope for another fun Cash Cash theme T_T

It really does come down to what you look for. Crush 40 and Jun Sunoue's beats are wonderful if you're looking for a really intense theme to rock out too. The others are better at serene themes that fill you with energy, albeit not necessarily the energy necessary to pummel someone.

The orchestra beats are a nice compromise; they've got the peaceful serenity of an instrumental tune but also have that classical levels of epic that fit a great battle.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've never been a massive fan of the vocal themes (the main ones, as opposed to the character themes which I tended to like more) as such, but I have still enjoyed their presence in the series. While they may not normally be to my taste; Open Your Heart, Live and Learn (and recently Endless Possibilities and Reach for the Stars) grew on me over time. It helps to reinforce a particular game's 'character' and I like that.

Edited by Pawn

I really don't want a vocal theme. They're just so freaking cheesy and samey, especially when done by Crush 40 (which I've never really been a fan of *bricked*). I'd prefer to hear an orchestrated theme that captures the nature and atmosphere of the game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd rather have Cash Cash or someone else do the vocal theme as opposed to Crush 40. I seriously hate almost all of the songs they've done in the Sonic series (with like, one or two exceptions). I think Endless Possibilities, Dear My Friend, Speak With Your Heart, and Reach for the Stars were much better than any theme by Crush 40. Either that, or an orchestral theme.

• Thumbs Up 1

orchestrated theme

orchestral theme.

I dunno about you, but I find orchestral themes in Sonic games (save Wrapped In Black, which was part-Big Beat, and maybe Solaris Phase 2 anyway) to be a tad overrated. In every Sonic OST that has one, it's the track that I never go back to listen to. I mean, they're good pieces, but I just don't care that much about say, the track for Perfect Chaos' second form compared to Open Your Heart.

I'd much prefer a vocal theme, either by Cash Cash, Crush 40, or someone new.

I just imagined Kyary Pamyu Pamyu doing the main theme. Somehow it's fitting and unfitting at the same time.