Awoo.

Sonic Lost World - Music Thread

Soniman

I dunno about you, but I find orchestral themes in Sonic games (save Wrapped In Black, which was part-Big Beat, and maybe Solaris Phase 2 anyway) to be a tad overrated. In every Sonic OST that has one, it's the track that I never go back to listen to. I mean, they're good pieces, but I just don't care that much about say, the track for Perfect Chaos' second form compared to Open Your Heart.

In the case of Perfect Chaos, I'll agree that Open Your Heart was better (even though I don't like that song at all, the orchestral theme was bad). It's just that I think the theme like Super Sonic Vs. Dark Gaia delivers more of an action-packed feeling and sets the mood a lot better than Live and Learn for example.

I think it'd be cool for them to have a vocal theme if you fight the Final Boss as Normal Sonic, a new and fresh theme if the final boss is actually Eggman, with or without Super Sonic, and if the Final Boss is a God thingy, a Orchestral piece. That would fit each of the scenarios, if Sonic's fighting the Final boss with no Super Form, that would make things more cool and pump all the players up with the game's theme, if the Final Boss is Eggman, something fresh and new but with a REAL menacing and epic vibe, giving the feeling that yes, Eggman means business, and for a giant God monster thing, a Orchestral piece, since it gives it the epic feel it deserves.

Wrong, wrong, wrong:

THIS is the version that should be used!

Now THAT is a Rouge sounding song.

• Thumbs Up 2

And I already commented on the video how most of the music choices are completely unfitting and don't go with the stages at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

And I already commented on the video how most of the music choices are completely unfitting and don't go with the stages at all.

Actually, I do kinda like the musical choices and they do fit to some extent. The first track sounds like Emerald Coast or Seaside Hill, whose tropes aren't that different from Windy Hill.

I'm not saying the tracks are necessarily better, just that they're not really unfitting either.

Agreed, a lot of the music NickonAquaMagna picked just sounds.. generic at best. I'm looking forward to Lost World's soundtrack since Tomoya Ohtani is doing it. People need to wait for the game to come out before fully judging the soundtrack and acting like there's much better music out there.

*watches first few seconds* ...

tumblr_m65um1G1JR1qd4xn3.png

I know it's shooting the messenger but I'd probably neg rep your post if I could. >:U I was really hoping for a rip of some music or something, oh well. Not only that but the title, not to mention the idea behind the video is really obnoxious, wow.

I'm fine with people not liking the music in this game, since music is extremely subjective, but this stuff is just plain silly.

Edited by ElementofChaos
  • Thumbs Up 1

The title is undoubtedly obnoxious, and every After the Sequel track wasn't created with Lost World in their head, considering y'know, it wasn't even announced. The only choices I can stomach are Windy Hill with Horizon Heights (because that song is just a upbeat, kickstart, get into the game intro song, it could work with any opening zone - try it), Desert Ruins on 3DS with Sugar Splash Act 3 (the song itself actually sounds kinda similar to the original with its use of instruments, like most desert themes - the dubstep really didn't work though) and Silent Forest with Foliage Furnace Act 1 (both share similar traits in mind - a deep, mystical forest). Other than that I felt terribly awkward watching songs that weren't made for the stages forcibly slapped on with some guy on the other end claiming "thiS IS HoW ITZ DonE GUys ITS RONG!"

Edited by Symbotic
  • Thumbs Up 4

"This is wrong", "This is bad" and "This is how to do this" aside, the dude has a point - I really don't feel the music choices HALF as much as the older games'. Sure I mean you could insert dubstep or chiptune or orchestral or rock or whatever into any stage and as long as it's written to fit it will fit, but... I don't think Lost World's stuff is.

*dodges bullets*

Basically they can be divided into Sonic Unleashed wannabes (the irony) and doing their own thing so far - and let's delve into the wannabes first. While compositionally still similar and everything, they seem to lack a charm that made the Unleashed tracks so amazing to me - maybe partially (if not completely) because it's just trying to imitate what made up the Unleashed tracks; quite like the New Super Mario Bros. U theme. It's made even worse for Windy Hill, as an already simple (albeit memorable) melody was broken down into a (IN MY OPINION) very repetitive, monotonous and merely catchy (there's a difference) one, one that toned the fast pace down, when the point of the original track was being fast. It's seriously almost comparable to Friday! *shot* okay, maybe not...

AND THE ORIGINALS. I like Desert Ruins' Desert themes, so I'll leave them aside for now - The candy theme really is composed to be something like Mario, and instrumentated to be something else that I can't quite put my finger on; though saying that I write more Sonic-esque would be a very big challenge (for me) to the genius of Tomoya Ohtani indeed. Frozen Factory 1, however - really just suffers from Pop Song Syndrome; (in case you're gonna shoot me for this, I'm joking - just poking fun at the typical 'mainstream' song) the chords are great, yes, but the melody - which has usually been a very strong point of just about any track in Sonic games - is... too absent and unmelodic. It really feels... And I know this is extremely opinionated of me, but... un-Sonic-esque, in my opinion.

This is the absolute first time in any main Sonic game that I can't remember almost any of the tracks so far - I memorized almost every single melody in After the Sequel, mind you - On one side, I'm disappointed, and on the other, I get reminded that ultimately, what's used in a Sonic game is Sonic-esque music, not what my digging and technical analysis gives out.

Edited by Can of Nothing

I just want October to hurry up and get here so that I can download this soundtrack on iTunes.

I do admit I kinda miss the....oomph from first tracks like Emerald Coast and City Escape; I feel those tracks just really made you feel like "This is Sonic bitch" The only recent first stage tracks that really did that was Tropical Resort.

Windy Hill is nice, really nice but it just feels too....relaxed? Yea that's it.

Edited by Azure Yakuzu
  • Thumbs Up 7

I don't like music that Nikon choose, and i don't like the game music, it's catchy, yeah, but that's not kind of music i will enjoy listening outside the game. i listened windy hill, desert ruins, frosen factory and in trailer that was tropical something music (maybe i'm wrong, but i assume that music from tropical level since jap trailer use windy hill) and its all meh at best for me. 

Desert Ruins honeycomb stage is already one of my favourite Sonic themes ever. Desert Ruins normal is great as well. The others will take a bit more time to get used to, but I generally like them.

I'm just glad to have original compositions again. Generations was fine, but it's time for some new stuff. 

Edited by edvedd
  • Thumbs Up 3

I actually think a lot of game music is fitting, it's just really fresh and upbeat and stuffs. I wasn't expecting Windy Hill to sound like it does the first time I heard it but I'm absolutely in love with it and I think it fits wonderfully, and the same can be said about a lot of other songs. Even the Desert Ruins song I like so much caught me off guard which is amazing.

As usual with new Sonic games, the music is by far what I'm most excited for, <3

Zor disagress.

Windy hill makes me wanna run. (which sonic song doesn't?)

*listens*

....it does.

I wonder what would happen if you try to eat the licoric-

OAK: SONIC, NOWS NOT THE TIME TO USE THAT!

• Thumbs Up 3

It actually shares a lot of chords and motifs with your everyday Mario theme, if anything.

Though, hearing the melody, I can get where you're coming from, as well.

Edited by Can of Nothing

Chaotic Candy Zone's music reminds me of something you'd hear in a more laid back Special Stage. Or maybe that's just the impression the entire level gives me!

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm impressed with the way the soundtrack has been composed, but much like the art style, it doesn't work with Sonic at all.