Awoo.

Japanese Sonic or American Sonic?

ASonicFanThatLeft

I Really like the JP voice actors! I can't stand Knuckles' New VA, so I play Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games London in Japanese. I agree though, Mike Polloc is amazing! I liked Dan Green!!!!!!!

I like Amy's voice best in Japanese as well. She sounds so sweet and cute! Her American voice always sounded too old for her and a little fake. However, I like her Sonic X voice best for the English smile.png.

Edited by knucklesgirl

Japan has much less of a headache when it comes to these voices remaining consistent.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

For me hearing the japanese voice acting is kinda off putting, they just all sound to weird for my ears, i liked sonics voice in sonic x and sonic 06, to me it fitted sonic perfectly, i'm not to sure about the new voice of sonic since sonic colors and generations, it does not sound the way sonic should sound, but like the above discussion, i think i prefer the american voice of sonic, as i can understand fully the language of what sonic and friends are trying to say.smile.png smile.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I love Junichi Kanemaru's spirit, enough to wish he was fully bilingual (i.e. no accent) so he could do it in both languages.

However, if I can't comprehend a language there's no point in it. Thus I have to chalk up liking the American ones better simply because of ability to understand them.

The english actors, because I know what they're saying, but in say, Sonic X, I like the japanese voices.

• Thumbs Up 1

English, because I don't have to read subtitles while trying to watch the scene. It's kinda hard to read the subtitle, and watch at the same time because by the time you've read it, whatever was going on at the time is already over.

That's why most people learn read and watch at the same time. I'm only really good at watching and reading what's on the screen because I watch a lot of anime. I can make it so I can see what's happening on the screen as well as knowing what they're saying.

I find the overwhelming majority of the Japanese voices to be unfitting.  Vector's is probably the best one.  The English cast now is pretty much perfect.  The only real weak link is Amy, but it almost seems like Jet where she's supposed to be annoying.

I much prefer the English voices.  More specifically the Sonic X cast.   Sonic's voice was just so fitting and iconic back then and the others were pretty good as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

I much prefer the English voices.  More specifically the Sonic X cast.   Sonic's voice was just so fitting and iconic back then and the others were pretty good as well.

I didn't mind Griffith's Sonic at all. In fact, I quite liked it. But it was so tame and lacking in the cocky, excitable edge that Sonic has that "iconic" is the last word I'd use to describe it. Not to mention that it sounded like every other Griffith character, including several others from within the same franchise...

• Thumbs Up 2

I didn't mind Griffith's Sonic at all. In fact, I quite liked it. But it was so tame and lacking in the cocky, excitable edge that Sonic has that "iconic" is the last word I'd use to describe it. Not to mention that it sounded like every other Griffith character, including several others from within the same franchise...

Yeah, actually, sometimes Sonic sounded like Shadow, and Shadow like Sonic.... and Jet sounded like a bird-brained Sonic!!

Am I the only one who thinks that Griffith's voice in Sonic X and Brawl sounds more cocky and closer to Drummond's tone than Griffith's voice in the main games (Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 2006, Sonic Unleashed), where he sounds more calm?

Well you got me there about the iconic part.  But still, I like how Sonic wasn't too cocky when Griffith was voicing him. 

I'm kind of neutral on the Japanese voice cast to be perfectly honest, though I do love how Shadow, Blaze, and Espio sound in that Generations clip. Sonic sounds pretty good too, but as for Eggman...eh, it's not bad, but I just prefer Mike Pollock. I've also seen Japanese clips of SA2 and Unleashed and oh my god Tails sounded awful in the former. Like, cringeworthy awful. He sounded more like a girl than Palant's Tails has ever sounded and my god was it bad. But Generations Japanese Tails... now that actually sounds good. I find it I huge improvement.

Yeah, I kinda prefer the English cast, but I probably should listen to more of the Japanese acting to really get an opinion.

I thought this was about the Classic Sonic designs...

Anyway, I personally prefer the English VA cast. I'm particularly happy with the current cast, aside from Amy (but I'm hoping for her to improve). My particular favorites being Tails, Rouge, and Silver. (Quinton Flynn is great)

I suppose I can't really have an opinion on the Japanese cast, mostly due to the fact that I haven't played any of the games with the Japanese language option on.

Edited by DocAzure

I wasn't familiar with the Japanese VAs until I started watching the Japanese version of Sonic X on Youtube. It was kind of a cool experience. I grew up with the adaptation 4Kids had done, and it was cool to see things in the Japanese version that didn't make it into the English version.

That being said, I think I'll always have a slight preference to the English voices, particularly since I have a nostalgic connection to Drummond's and Griffith's portrayal of Sonic, but I really love Kanemaru's portrayal of Sonic as well. He has a nice amount of range and life in his voice, plus the English bits he says are really sweet!

Japanese, most of the time (not always.... I actually prefer Shadow's english voice in Sonic X, for example). Oh, I also got to watch Sonic X in german, the voice acting there was surprisingly good, but maybe it's just nostalgia talking.

I don't speak Japanese, although I've picked up a few phrases from watching anime. It's such a beautiful language.

In regard to voice actors I personally prefer the Japanese language cast, rather than the English voice actors. For whatever reason I feel that as a player I'm recieving a more accurate representation of the cast when spoken in Japanese. In addition across the board there is much more consistancy with the voice cast rather than the English voice cast. It may help that I do comprehend a miniscule amount of Japanese to begin with, but I digress.

With no disrespect to any of the English voice actors I'm going with the Japnese voice actors.

I have a preference for the English VA cast since I do listen to the English version a lot more. But, I do like the Japanese seiyuu too.