Awoo.

Sonic Boom 2013 "Helllooooooooo St. Louis!"

Badnik Mechanic

Now the worst part of anticipation. KNOWING for sure there's something, but getting anxious over tickets...

I do hope they have a fair amount of tickets. I know last year had more than enough for everyone, and that was in busy Comic Con weekend, so I'm nervous SEGA shrank the size of the venue specifically to be more efficient.

The official Pageant site lists their capacity as 1,000-2,300 depending on the type of event. I'm guessing 1,000... the question is, how competitive will the tickets be? We won't have mobs of people trying to get tickets a la SoS, but I'm curious if they plan for this to be more successful than the last?

St Louis? OH HELL YEAH thats hillariously awesome, because we were just thinking of taking a trip there in august what an awesome FUCKING coincidence. Welp I know what I'm doing in August, chance to play Lost World, see Crush 40 live? Only 5 hours from my house? COUNT ME THE FUCK IN!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm, I wonder if they'll set up an arcade like they did the last two events?

The Delmar Loop, where the event is located, is home to a lot of businesses, surely one could be requisitioned for it?

If nothing else, I want a picture with Sonic, who seems to spend his time at the arcade when he's not inhaling cakes or the like at the actual convention.

I do hope one day we get a 10 hour event like Summer of Sonic rather than just a 5 hour one...

I was all excited to take the train once I saw that it's going to be in the Midwest, but... St. Louis? That city consistently gets ranked as one of, if not the most, dangerous cities in the whole United States. I think I'll wait for it to come to a bit better (and hopefully closer) location.

Don't fall for that crap. It's a city, of course it's dangerous if you go to the bad part of town and walk alone in the dark roads. Except the event is in the "clean" part of town, same town that constantly hosts high school events, by the way.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, every city has bad places. Some more than others.

Pretty much every city has good places as well, however. Consider how Mexico is overall considered dangerous but usually the tourist towns are fairly safe.

The Delmar Loop is meant for tourists (and college students) and naturally is one of the safe, good neighborhoods: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delmar_Loop If socioeconomic debate teaches you anything, it's that wealthy areas are generally fairly safe because if you're dependent on tourism you naturally want good policing to attract people. tongue.png

To give another example, Washington, D.C. often has ranked as a dangerous city at various times through history. But if you stay around the tourist areas (it helps the government has a vested interest in keeping such places safe) it's much better. It really all depends on district.

Provided you don't intend to venture outside the district I'm not seeing a problem. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not going to walk into the slums.

Did some quick research. The bad parts of St. Louis are the northern and eastern parts of the city. Delmar Loop is on the western edge of the city, and is close to Washington University; it is basically built to serve college kids' (read: people with money) needs.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

I was all excited to take the train once I saw that it's going to be in the Midwest, but... St. Louis? That city consistently gets ranked as one of, if not the most, dangerous cities in the whole United States. I think I'll wait for it to come to a bit better (and hopefully closer) location.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Delmar loop...well....yeah be a little cautious, especially those who are using transit such as myself after hours. Also, (peeps who are familiar with STL metro), if you don't want to use Delmar's train station, you can also use the Skinker train station right in front of Washington University, right down the street from Delmar Loop if you wanna take the walk . It's a lot better in my opinion.

"Opinion? Taz said opinion! BURN HIM ON THE CROSS!!!"

Let's not forget it's common sense in any big city to not be out after say, ten at night. No matter what your area, there are some simple rules governing your conduct... no valuables in plain sight, always travel in groups, etc.

Kind of sad we have to live in such paranoia, but that's the world for you!

But yes. Upscale area... likely gets a generous dose of security as a result... nothing to worry about really, unless you're planning on an adventure into the run-down districts miles away.

• Thumbs Up 2

Let's not forget it's common sense in any big city to not be out after say, ten at night. No matter what your area, there are some simple rules governing your conduct... no valuables in plain sight, always travel in groups, etc.

Kind of sad we have to live in such paranoia, but that's the world for you!

But yes. Upscale area... likely gets a generous dose of security as a result... nothing to worry about really, unless you're planning on an adventure into the run-down districts miles away.

Yeah 5-8:30-ish is a good time frame for me. And yeah I would journey into the "creeper"-villes down there. For the love of God....don't. And let me tell ya, wearing Sonic gear isn't going to summon the spirit of the blue blur to make you run fast enough. I tried....ph34r.png

Now. If Ogilvie and I have scared you enough, fear not. If you can't stand the fact of traveling alone, look for me and I'll protect you from the nasty wasties. I lift, bro.

If anyone else is staying at the hotel, let me know! Maybe we could have a meet up before actually going! I'll be bringing two of my friends with me...

I really hope the SSMB turnout improves... :P

Heh, I'm from D.C. area and I'm smart enough to know which part of town you want to avoid at night. I went to college in Philadelphia, and there are definably pockets of that city that you don't want to get caught in. At all.

I will add one hallmark though. I spent some time in Sydney last year. A city I didn't know in a country I'd never been too before. On my second night in the city I walked from the Victoria Gardens - back to my hotel in the center city. It was about a 45 min walk. At about 2 in the morning. By myself.

To be honest I felt pretty safe. I wouldn't recommend it to others, looking back it probably wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done, but there are some cities that are a clear step above in the safety department.

If I recall, the first Sonic Boom originated because lots of fans petitioned SEGA about wanting their own Summer of Sonic. SEGA saw a marketing opportunity and took it.

We should be glad they're holding such events at all, given the somewhat lackluster turnout last year.

Though I do wish there was a way to demonstrate there's demand on both sides of the country.

Key problem is the numbers... and the cost. Even in big cities getting that many Sonic fans to go is absurdly difficult if last year is any indication. We're not lucky like Britain, having everyone within close proximity to each other... the Sonic fanbase is dispersed over a massive area.

Maybe in the coming years Lost World and such will help revive the fanbase and thus create more demand for such events? As it stands we kind of get shafted compared to the UK.

Let's just pray we're ready for when they decide to stop officially administering the event and expect the fans to pick up the slack... that's going to be an ugly year.

It's a shame Sonic's so niche, whereas something like Comic Con is just massive.

As someone who has lived here all their life, I can say that the Loop (where the pageant is) Is one of the safest areas of metro St. Louis. It's pretty much only downtown that you wanna avoid (after dark that is. It's a great place during the day). 

But yeah, I've been to the Loop a lot during the night and its not bad at all. Just a bunch of college kids hanging out.

How much smaller is this venue than the one they used in California?

How much smaller is this venue than the one they used in California?

It's bigger. Maximum capacity is 2,300 people.

iLiW7je.png

For a sense of scale, here's a photo from Google Maps. The Pageant is in the upper right quarter of the photograph; the Moonrise Hotel (where I shall be staying) is in the upper left. For some reason it's called "The Eclipse."

• Thumbs Up 3

Ah, thank you.

So Sega must not be to worried about the attendance problem then. If they went out and booked a bigger venue, they must be expecting a decent turn out.

Or maybe they are just making space to set up a row of those Sonic Athletic arcade treadmill machines. lol

I was actually amazed how much time last year's events took up. There was hardly any break between the concert, trivia, Q&A... so I wasn't able to play Transformed. It was actually surprising they stretched that all out to make it last so many hours.

I will say that the official site says it's 1000-2300 people depending on the type of event, so they might be doing 1000 again. I just hope there's not a mad rush for tickets... but knowing how last year's went, there probably won't be. That 20 dollar price tag is a really good deterrent against anyone who doesn't really, really want to go, clearly.

Ogilvie and Taz, thank you both for the information. smile.png It's good to know it's in the good part of town.

Unfortunately the few plans I had on the back burner for this fell through, so it looks like I can't really go anyway.

Maybe next time!

iLiW7je.png

For a sense of scale, here's a photo from Google Maps. The Pageant is in the upper right quarter of the photograph; the Moonrise Hotel (where I shall be staying) is in the upper left. For some reason it's called "The Eclipse."

Well shit I forgot the pageant was right in front of the Gyro house. Might stop there first.

Edited by Abominal Taz

Unfortunately the few plans I had on the back burner for this fell through, so it looks like I can't really go anyway.

Maybe next time!

Hopefully something will change! The more SSMBers the merrier!

I promise I don't talk as much as I post. Honest.

Well shit I forgot the pageant was right in front of the Gyro house. Might stop there first.

Meanwhile, I'll be raiding that pizzeria like Genghis Khan. Nothing like an old fashioned pizza to make me happy...

Oh. I also hope my stomach isn't upset with me this time around. Last time I didn't get to enjoy any of the food at the actual venue because I didn't want to risk feeling unwell during what I consider the best night of my life in retrospect.

Sonic Boom isn't a convention for me. It's like a Muslim going to Mecca in my perspective in terms of its importance. Screw Christmas, it's that one day a year where I'm surrounded by people just like me, who speak my lingo...

• Thumbs Up 1

Any idea when tickets will go on sale? A general amount of time between when past Sonic Boom's have been announced and when their tickets have gone on sale? I kind of don't keep up with the Sonic community anymore (I check here once or twice a week at most), it'd be a shame to miss this when I'd be in town anyway just because they sold out. Even insight as to how much previous Sonic Booms have cost would be helpful. I'm on a fairly tight budget from now until October because of my trip to Vegas next month.

If I do end up going, I'm not averse to meeting up with people I don't even know from the Internet, so if anyone wants to chill or whatever that sounds like fun. I think I've met like one person from the SSMB and I don't think it was a Sonic-related meetup, lol, it would be fun to change that.

EDIT: Judging from the previous Sonic Boom's attendance and The Pageant's capacity, it doesn't seem like it'd sell out very quickly if at all. Can't be too safe though...

Any idea when tickets will go on sale? A general amount of time between when past Sonic Boom's have been announced and when their tickets have gone on sale? I kind of don't keep up with the Sonic community anymore (I check here once or twice a week at most), it'd be a shame to miss this when I'd be in town anyway just because they sold out. Even insight as to how much previous Sonic Booms have cost would be helpful. I'm on a fairly tight budget from now until October because of my trip to Vegas next month.

If I do end up going, I'm not averse to meeting up with people I don't even know from the Internet, so if anyone wants to chill or whatever that sounds like fun. I think I've met like one person from the SSMB and I don't think it was a Sonic-related meetup, lol, it would be fun to change that.

EDIT: Judging from the previous Sonic Boom's attendance and The Pageant's capacity, it doesn't seem like it'd sell out very quickly if at all. Can't be too safe though...

Let's see. In 2012, the event was announced February 2nd, and tickets went on sale March 19th. That's 45 days, and we have 49 days to go until this Sonic Boom, so that's doubtful.

2011, it was announced May 12th, and while the tickets weren't "sold" as they are now, they were available immediately...

Overall, we can conclude there's no real reliable measure. My safe bet would be we'll know when the sale is within two weeks.

Now, as for other Sonic Booms' costs. I'm flying into the area from Las Vegas and staying 4 days at a 200 a night hotel, so it'll be about 1500 for me to go to this one. The price obviously drops rapidly if one's taking a closer flight and is only staying one night. On hotels I'll repeat myself - the closest hotel is across the street and costs 200/night; the next closest one is about 3 miles away. Not really liking to use mass transit and such I got the hotel... though I understand some are on more of a budget than me!

Last year was during Comic Con weekend in San Diego so the prices aren't even comparable to St. Louis, where the prices overall are quite cheap. What cost 300-400 in San Diego I'm getting that and more at the hotel I'm staying at in St. Louis.

And indeed, it doesn't look like we'll get Summer of Sonic-style fights to the death over tickets. That 20 dollar price tag goes a long way towards curbing demand, clearly. However, we'll just have to see... on one hand the location is kind of remote compared to California. On the other, who knows given the proximity to a lot of fans who will probably never get this chance again.

Once I've got my ticket I plan on spamming details of this event everywhere I go to try and increase the turnout.