Awoo.

Sonic Boom 2013 "Helllooooooooo St. Louis!"

Badnik Mechanic

You're making a mountain out of a molehill. Calling a costume awful that looks awful to the person talking about it isn't rude, nor is he obligated to substantiate the phrase "that costume was awful" with anything more on the front end, especially if people would be allowed to say "the costume is great" without being badgered into explanation. All opinions are equal- good or bad- so calm down, yah?

You're making a mountain out of a molehill. Calling a costume awful that looks awful to the person talking about it isn't rude, nor is he obligated to substantiate the phrase "that costume was awful" with anything more on the front end, especially if people would be allowed to say "the costume is great" without being badgered into explanation. All opinions are equal- good or bad- so calm down, yah?

I said that his opinion was fine. I'm just saying he could've worded it a lot better.

EDIT: Remember what Akito said in the Attitudes and Respect topic?

Thank you!  I seriously hate it when people use "it's the internet" or similar excuses to justify their own disrespect and mean-spirited behavior.  One problem I've had with this board as of late is that everyone lives under the mindset that they must make some sort of snarky comment to express that their own disinterest for something, and yesterday's debacle pretty much proves what I mean.  Now don't get me wrong.  Everyone deserves the right to express their opinion rather it's positive or negative, but I feel that when someone makes a status update about how excited they are for something only to have it shat on, then it's kind of disheartening and ruins the fun of those that are otherwise legitimately enjoying it.

Case in point, Nepenthe posted a status yesterday (I think?) and everyone and their mother felt the need to bombard it with very insensitive and mean-spirited comments.  For the record, I'm not interested in the sort of thing myself, but instead of leaving such a comment, I'd just shrug it off and ignore it.

And in case I'm not being clear, I am not at all saying the status updates should be exempted from debate or negative opinions on a matter.  They just shouldn't be so mean-spirited or so clearly meant to lambast upon someone.

Basically...

WRONG:
Member A - Can't wait to see Pacific Rim or other popular film!
Asskito - Ugh, giant robots and lizards and stuff?  Laaaaame!

Member B - Just got back from the baseball game!  Was lots of fun!
Asskito - >baseball >fun lol

RIGHT:
Member A - Can't wait to see Mediterranean Rim or other popular film!
Buttkito - Eh, not into the concept my self, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it.  I've heard it was good.

Member B - Just got back from the tennis game!  Was lots of fun!
Buttkito - Glad you had fun!

There aren't many things that hinder my enjoyment here, but the things that do REALLY do and is partially why I was so on and off with this place up until earlier last year.  In some aspects, the community has improved, but there are cases like this and the thread that was created yesterday that just make me roll my eyes and consider spending my time elsewhere.

This pretty much explains what I'm trying to say. Yes, it is more focused on the status updates, but it should apply to forum posts too.

Edited by GuywithPie3376

So I had tons of fun, and got to meet Ogilvie Maurice as well as Sonics1andonlygirl in line. Sorry I was a bit shy dude, and sorry about the akwardness i'm not much of a outgoing person. x.X I can't exactly recall the bobble head # I got, but it was in the 700's my gf's is in the 900's. The questions this year weren't too bad, I was sitting next to the Blaze cosplayer and her question was pretty interesting. xD She kept stairing at me and my gf though. :V (Was it a member on here? Maybe she recognized my shirt I dunno.) I was facepalming when both teams answered a few easy questions wrong (Especially the Sonic 2 level select code question. :V) but hey not everyone knows that. xP I would love to go to this again if I ever get the chance to. :) Also I played Lost World on the 3DS and died twice in the same area of the snow level. :V

Anyone got pics of the Metal Sonic cosplayer? or Video?

AutnHqT.jpg

Here's one I took with my iPhone...it's not that great but it's something. EDIT: Uploaded a slightly better one.

Also, Sonic and Metal Sonic fistbump:

N3FBoHH.jpg

Edited by Sky The Destroyer
  • Thumbs Up 4

How rude. I'd like to see you make a better Eggman, and have you ever thought she just had a bit of a bad day? No respect, I tell you. Okay, so you weren't being rude by the way you worded the second portion, I'll give you that, but to call her costume awful for no reason is just downright rude. I thought it was a very well made cosplay, and she put time into that. You're allowed to have your own opinion, but say more than just "This costume is awful." Even if you don't want to bother with a reason, you could've worded that much better, like "I don't exactly like her costume". I'm sorry, but this is just ridiculous. It was actually a woman cosplaying Metal. Thought you might want to fix that.
So Metal Sonic is female.. who knew

So Metal Sonic is female.. who knew

Well, to be fair, Eggman is one lonely man...

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, to be fair, Eggman is one lonely man...

Next exclusive game confirmed: Eggman's Lost Love.

Anyone got pics of the Metal Sonic cosplayer? or Video?

I've got a few.

64.JPG

63.JPG

38.JPG

70.JPG

73.JPG

(Eggman's smiling in this one, mind you.)

Edited by GuywithPie3376
  • Thumbs Up 3

The amount of detail in that costume is mind blowing, REALLY amazing!

Yep, it won First place. It's not easy to tell from the pictures, but the eyes and jet engine are lit up.

Edited by GuywithPie3376

Welp I'm back home and had a great time, was my first Boom so if it's just as close next year then I'll definitely go again. I was about 10 behind on the non wristband line so I didn't have to wait long to play Lost World which I will admit was extremely fun albeit a bit hard to control at first. I'll post in more detail in the Lost World thread.

The Crush 40 concert was great, was surprised they played Speed Highway and Radical Highway which along with City Escape are my 3 favorite Adventure series songs so that was awesome. I've never seen them live and Johnny was more full of energy then I ever expected him to be so I enjoyed it a lot.

The Q & A was interesting at times and I found the little kids asking questions cute like the "Friends of tails doll one" had the whole crowd going "DAWWWWWWW". The trivia thing was cool and it had something I never knew about, the fact that there was an official "Sonic the Screensaver" and the Sonic 2 code one. The costume contest was actually better then I expected it to be, to be honest the best ones to me were the Metal Sonic one, Sonic 3 month one, the Eggman, Blaze, and the cream(was so cute) costumes. Glad Metal Sonic won!

The news was a LITTLE disappointing but what they gave us I liked so that's something. And I LUCKILY got some signatures after it ended which was the highlight of the night as I came in not expecting to get any. Got Johnny's as he was headed back to the staff area which was cool. And I got Hoshino's and Iizkua's right before they shoo'ed everyone away. (I think mine was the 3rd to last one Iizukia signed actually) So I was extremely lucky on that. Didn't get Jun's though, I would have stopped him as he went by but he was half jogging so as he was in a hurry I didn't want to bother him. 3/4 was good enough for me lol.

I didn't actually see many SSMBers there myself, Ravenfreak mentioned sitting next to the Blaze cosplayer so I think I saw her sitting there. Bestdude55 I saw getting the picture with Aaron taken , and I talked with Oglive for a (very) short period where Iizukia and Hoshino were. Probably saw more of you but those were who I saw at the time. I'm not a very social person lol.

Speaking of Aaron when I got up to him I asked him about whether we should expect a Limited/Collectors edition of Lost World as the US didn't get anything for Generations in that regard. He said that there would be more info soon so I guess there is still a chance on that. Ended up getting his signature too for my History of Sonic book (he even put (for: my name)) which surprised me that he remembered me as I had bumped into him about 10 minutes after Boom started and we didn't talk very long. 

I'm going to have to give Aaron some huge freaking props and thanks, not just for Boom but for all that he did PAST that. We had some issues with the cab, more on that later, along with us waiting outside there were other people out there and Aaron stood out there for 45 MINUTES and talked to everyone outside and kept us company for a while which was just freaking amazing of him to do considering the kind of schedule he has to have with his job. Even took the time to sign the box of the Chao figure I got which was cool of him. 

So Aaron if your reading this, thanks to you for taking the time out of your schedule to set up not only a big event but time out of your own schedule to keep some random fans company for a while. Also thanks to Kellie, Jun, Johnny, all of the Sega event staff, Iizuka, and Hoshino for setting all of this up for us, we really appreciate it.

I'll go into the taxi troubles in a later post but first.... SWAG:

First the normal stuff:

The Lanyard and T-shirt (which is to small lol)

0IoawId.jpg

JuYrptp.jpg

Now the Chao 

The box (signed by Mr. Webber)

89NdRel.jpg

And the Chao itself and the Number (drumroll please)

Suamphw.jpg

2KKcqzI.jpg

NUMBER 30 HELL YES

And the Crush 40 stuff:

DY1qzeG.jpg

And finally all the signatures I got:

Heroes soundtrack signed by Johnny

a9ejVSh.jpg

My History of Sonic book signed by Hoshino, Iikuka, and Aaron Webber:

B17wUCp.jpg

SO Tl;dr

Sonic Boom was fun, and I'll definitely be looking forward to next years event. Crush 40 and Jun were awesome as always, the Q&A was "interesting" to say the least, the costume contest was better then I thought it would be, and getting signatures made my night. And of course Lost World was all kinds of fun. 

And once again thanks to Aaron, Kellie, and everyone else who worked on this event. It didn't have to happen but I'm glad it did so thank all of you for that.

Edited by LordMetallix
  • Thumbs Up 2

Dem LED gimp eyes.

2nd place was roomed with me. One word: eBay.

Mr. Iizuka is a very nice man. Behind the venue he was nice enough to talk to me about Japan, jet engine stuffs, and smoke breaks. He also was kind enough to sign people's things. They came out of nowhere wtf hahaha. I say he is too kind, as he had to wake up at 4am to go back to Tokyo. His English is great.

Metal Sonic is modeled after a generic jet engine. No specific engine in mind. The amount of fuel dispensed is not explainable. He is given indefinite fuel BECAUSE. No reason. O: subject was brought about because spouse works on f-18 engines.

Mr. Iizuka is a very nice man. Behind the venue he was nice enough to talk to me about Japan, jet engine stuffs, and smoke breaks. He also was kind enough to sign people's things. They came out of nowhere wtf hahaha.

Guilty as charged. tongue.png I was heading to my car, and BOOM Iizuka. I figured he probably thought the coast was clear, headed out back for a smoke and then ran into Sonic fans and got stuck haha. I felt bad for bugging him, but...I didn't want to miss my chance to have him sign my copy of Adventure. I owe him one haha.

The news was a LITTLE disappointing but what they gave us I liked so that's something. And I LUCKILY got some signatures after it ended which was the highlight of the night as I came in not expecting to get any. Got Johnny's as he was headed back to the staff area which was cool. And I got Hoshino's and Iizkua's right before they shoo'ed everyone away. (I think mine was the 3rd to last one Iizukia signed actually) So I was extremely lucky on that. Didn't get Jun's though, I would have stopped him as he went by but he was half jogging so as he was in a hurry I didn't want to bother him. 3/4 was good enough for me lol.

Hey Lord Metallix, I think I actually talked to you while you were waiting in line to talk to Aaron! (I was the clueless blonde guy who asked what the line was for... happy.png  )

By the way, I was very impressed with the soundtrack you showed me! I only wish I had gotten a couple signatures... Oh well, maybe next year!

Hey Lord Metallix, I think I actually talked to you while you were waiting in line to talk to Aaron! (I was the clueless blonde guy who asked what the line was for... happy.png  )

By the way, I was very impressed with the soundtrack you showed me! I only wish I had gotten a couple signatures... Oh well, maybe next year!

Oh yeah I remember you, I guess that adds another SSMB member to the list. And since they took about 20 minutes for Autographs this year and the sheer amount of people that went up to get one that they will do it again. Plus Bestdude55 mentioned that Jun and Johnny were in the coffee shop (which is the one place I DIDN'T check), so I'd say try a place like that at the next one, would probably be the best bet.

Guy with a soundtrack...you weren't the one with the SA2 Multidimensional soundtrack were you?

If so I totally wound up misleading you about Johnny and Jun leaving. I think Johnny had hightailed it out of there for sure, but Jun was actually in that little coffee shop up front for a bit after the event like you just said. sad.png If that was you I apologize, I was the one with the copy of Sonic Adventure.

Guy with a soundtrack...you weren't the one with the SA2 Multidimensional soundtrack were you?

I think it was the Sonic Heroes soundtrack if I remember correctly...

Sounds like we left a little too soon! Would have loved Crush 40's signatures....

I just wonder how these folks feel when fans descend on them like famished cannibals!

It was a pleasure meeting everyone. Ravenfreak, I apologize deeply for engaging in a game of greeting chicken with you. Strongbad, I will have a glorious time remembering our struggle with camera technology. Sapphire, props for coming up to me given how surprisingly challenging it can be to say hi. LordMetallix, apologies for not speaking longer; it's a shame it was so close to the end with signatures preventing any real conversation. Maybe next time!

Hoping anyone I missed can be found at the next one... Would love to get to say more than a few awkward lines!

Now... There was an English person asking everyone if they preferred Adventure 1 or 2 in the line. He grimaced if you said two. ...think the final video might be doctored? :P

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice
  • Thumbs Up 2

I wish you guys had showed pictures of yourselves to see if I actually ran across you and never even noticed it was you.

I wish you guys had showed pictures of yourselves to see if I actually ran across you and never even noticed it was you.

A lot of us did, actually. I was wearing a Boom 2012 shirt and had a nametag with my username on it around my neck.

Now. To wear the same badge but with a Boom 2013 shirt and Lost World lanyard to Sonic Boom West. Fingers crossed they don't tar and feather me.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

Plus Bestdude55 mentioned that Jun and Johnny were in the coffee shop (which is the one place I DIDN'T check), so I'd say try a place like that at the next one, would probably be the best bet.

Yeah, right after the costume contest, me and my friends saw the two sneak around the back of the place and we went after them. We were one of the few people that saw them, because we got a pretty good conversation in with them before others showed up.