Awoo.

Sonic Boom 2013 "Helllooooooooo St. Louis!"

Badnik Mechanic

You know what I don't see? A SEGA Blog entry about the event. It's interesting that the event was covered in their blog in the past. What's the deal with this year?

What's also interesting is that I was just asked what the deal was with the event team taking down my info, 2nd place's info, and 3rd place's info. Weird.

You're right though, the only thing I saw after the event was that they uploaded a few pics from the event on their flickr. (And I accidentally appear in one of them... well only half of me does. They took a pic of a fan dressed up as Sonic and I happen to be off to the side in the shot since she was behind me in line. :V) I'm kind of surprised they didn't post anything, but I think someone over at Retro stated that Kellie didn't look too happy. And to be honest with you, she did kind of seemed a bit upset that night... Maybe I was reading too much into that though...

SEGA as a whole seems to have shown issues this year. The game information took a long time to get out, the event took a while to be announced, the event itself seemed rushed, etc. And then after it was announced, tickets weren't even mentioned on the blog for weeks after they went on sale. It seems like this year SEGA's information flow was being severely backed up.

Given Kellie's position as community manager the parts relevant to the blog could possibly be chalked up to issues on her end. Maybe something came up in her life that's harmed her ability to carry out her duties these past few months?

I have felt that vibe from Sega, too, to the point where it was a little frustrating. The event was announced really late, so that definitely could've affected turnout (even though I personally thought the turnout was pretty damn good), and the tickets went on sale really late. For example, we could not plan the rest of our several day trip in St. Louis without knowing for sure the tickets would actually be going on sale. Hopefully everything and everyone over at Sega is doing alright... 

• Thumbs Up 1

I have felt that vibe from Sega, too, to the point where it was a little frustrating. The event was announced really late, so that definitely could've affected turnout (even though I personally thought the turnout was pretty damn good), and the tickets went on sale really late. For example, we could not plan the rest of our several day trip in St. Louis without knowing for sure the tickets would actually be going on sale. Hopefully everything and everyone over at Sega is doing alright...

I personally was sinking into a depression of sorts the month or so before the announcement; I really enjoyed 2012's event and it was a real bummer looking forward to it all year and it increasingly seemed they weren't going to have one.

I'm hoping we can get the announcement in February or March like last time, so these can be planned well in advance. Hopefully with a better choice of location as well; while 500-600 folks is still good, it pales in comparison to 800 or 1000. I think Boom was hurt the most by the fact it was announced so late, by the time of which it might be hard for people to take time off (my friend was on thin ice because of time he'd already taken off, thinking there'd be no event; he was lucky enough to still be able to get some off... I presume this Summer vacation planning issue applies for everyone)... never mind it doesn't take advantage of the natural flow of gamers from events such as E3 and Comic Con.

Hopefully, SEGA won't make the same mistake two years in a row and have a better plan for next year's Sonic Boom.

..maybe I'm being too hopeful. tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Hopefully, SEGA won't make the same mistake two years in a row and have a better plan for next year's Sonic Boom.

..maybe I'm being too hopeful. tongue.png

I thought the 2012 one was fine! 800 of 1000 isn't too bad.

This one's scheduling just was very bad from an objective perspective:

-Moved from its established location of California to another state; this isn't me being a griping West Coaster (I can go wherever the event is held no problem), it's just that Boom had built a following in the state. Followings are important, and that's probably why Summer of Sonic does so well, ticket prices aside; it has a global reputation and an even stronger regional one. Many of the people who were planning to go this year suddenly weren't able to. It's basically as bad an idea of doing six years in one major in college and then shifing to another major.

-The ticket price was even higher than before. While the swag is arguably nicer, it's still a deterrent.

-It wasn't in the same city during another geek event, like the last two were. Never mind, that there was a geek event going on in another city draws people away from this one as it's not possible to double dip. Planning around other cons is a grand idea, since people will be able to make use of being out in the city to begin with to attend.

-While St. Louis is equidistant from most parts of the United States, it's not as concentrated in population as Texas or the Rust Belt. Given SEGA's poor marketing of the event, it is important to hold it in close proximity to population centers.

-Finally, it was announced late. People can only take so much time off for vacation before they get written up for it; by the time this came around a lot of people probably had already taken Summer vacation time, as happened on my end. Had the stars aligned differently I wouldn't have been able to attend.

Were I SEGA, I'd try to plan these well in advance and advertise them in the video games. That'll never happen, but it would probably do wonders for people's ability to show up... and for people to know there's an event to begin with. It's a shame they put the "Happy Birthday Sonic" from Boom '11 in Generations, but didn't take the relationship between the convention and games further.

Edited by Eciruam Eivligo
  • Thumbs Up 3

Apologies for the double post, but I reasoned this might be prudent given this topic was St. Louis-centric.

At Sonic Social I had a member pondering the possibility of a St. Louis meetup. Seeing the number of folks who posted here, I figured that such a chapter might actually be viable. Since he was kind of unsure about his ability to organise and host a meetup, I went ahead and started the Sonic St. Louis group on Facebook simply so there’s a page I can show people who are interested.

While I intend to remain a member to help with coordination and promotion, I will be stepping down as administrator as soon as someone wishes to take the reins (I can't really be effective as a leader given I'm on the West Coast); one need only ask me in the Facebook group to become the organiser. I will be trying to ask HelenBaby about Sonic London’s experiences so we can determine how we could try and replicate that success in the American meetup groups. Don’t be afraid to give the organiser position a shot; you could always give it to someone else if it was too much!

Finally, if you’re concerned I’d find out your real name if you gave me a shout on Facebook, don’t worry; I’ve posted this announcement in multiple places so it would be more or less impossible for me to determine who you are on SSMB unless you told me.

Just figured I’d drop the information here. I’d love for St. Louis fans to be able to have regular events again; it would be a shame if the Sonic fans in the area would need to wait years for another event in their area. Naturally I give the best of luck to any St. Louis fans who decide to give a meetup a try; you will have the support of Sonic Social 100% in promoting your event!

Edited by Boss Ogilvie

Looking back at this event now, I felt that there was something missing. When I look at the stage, it was super super emtpy. The entire venue lacked Sonic-themed thingamajigs. Sonic 2011 had cutouts posted on the walls, rings on the floor, blue lights, time attack contests, etc. Things like that! They even had blue cupcakes. And by golly, those cupcakes came in troves. UNLIMITED CUPCAKES.

The other issue was audience motivation and social attitude. It could of been user-experience. My experience was, when walking to a group table, I asked to sit down. The group said nothing and ignored me. I went to one of those bar tables, asked if the stuff on the seat was reserved for someone and if I could sit. Person promptly picked up their things and left. B-but..! But! Dammat. There were also other group of lads that I approached and just asked general "How's it going? Enjoying the event?" and met with averting eyes. Damn.

There was also inappropriate behaviour with me. Unfortunately none were of sexual nature (damn). I had one guy grab me by the arm, spin me 180 and then demand a picture. What the butt. I have a rotator cuff tear on my left shoulder. FFdfsdsgfdggggg. Life data not worth taking.

By the end of the day, some dude walked up to me and punched me in the head twice. I threw my arms up to get him to stop, but he did it again another two more times. He had a personal vendetta against me. I must have leaked all over his breakfast that morning without notice. I swear, I didn't mean to spill coolant in his cheerios (yes I did. All the cheerios). Didn't even ask for a picture of my battle scars.

GOD, METAL. YOU'RE SUCH A BABY. GEEZ.

Overall I must concur... there really was a lack of enthusiasm by a fair deal of people. It just didn't seem as warm and friendly as the California events. Seems a lot of people didn't really want to make friends. :(

As for the decor: Boom 2012 didn't have much in the way of that either, sadly, the Transformed car outside aside. It really is a shame SEGA doesn't put more love into these events, with posters and all that jazz, but I guess that's another reason a fan-originated convention would be superior.

I'm sorry you were the center of attention by so many folks; I guess they assumed the suit protects one from all damages.

I think 2012 made up for the lack of decor by the people themselves. You had people drawing at the tables beyond the concert area, many many many little kids, and lots of interactions between fans. It was great. o:

Center of attention? Probably. I would think common sense would say not to punch random people, though.

I think 2012 made up for the lack of decor by the people themselves. You had people drawing at the tables beyond the concert area, many many many little kids, and lots of interactions between fans. It was great. o:

It really was a grand night. After Boom West I'm going to have to talk to the staff about what works and what doesn't in making events like these a magical experience for all involved. smile.png

Center of attention? Probably. I would think common sense would say not to punch random people, though.

I heard stories that some of the people were very... excitable in that crowd. One Sonic cosplayer apparently had a Shadow cosplayer come up to them and exchange in-character insults with them. So I guess someone thought "oh my God it's Metal Sonic, we must hit him!"

Wow that's horrible;  what was with the social attitude at SB2013? I didn't even know it was like that until now.

It was perfectly fine outside the building (even if some fans could be a little coocoo, but that's to be expected), but I guess once inside everyone split into their little groups...

In my experience, we met up with a fine guy by the name of Gary; he was from Canada and had come down for a single day just for this. We didn't interact much besides with him.

One person did push (while he did say "excuse me" and all that, it sounds like a fair number of people were still annoyed by it) others out of the way so he could get to the front of the concert area, so he could set up a tripod for his camera.

Edited by Boss Ogilvie

It will probably be repaired to be used in the SB West Chapter as a fun appearance thing.   attachicon.gifCompilation Photos.jpg   The size of the venue was perfect. When it came to Sonic Boom 2012, I felt that the body room was so bad. I was shoulder to shoulder with people. It was very hot. I had entered my son in the costume contest as well and he too became very hot to the point where we had to remove his costume a couple times in the stair-way to avoid heat exhaustion. So even if about 500-600 people had shown up to a venue with the capacity of 2500...Good. Even in the current Metal Sonic get up, I suffered from heat exhaustion. Examples of that include walking away from the stage even though I was asked to stay. My body was on auto-pilot. My point is that it could have been worse. Much worse. Sonic Boom 2012 worse.   Concert needs to be the end of the event. It died down so fast and the venue ran out of food. Sad forever! I did get to meet some of you awesome people, though.   Like Strong Bad. All I saw was the shirt. But now I know who you are.   He didn't even give me a hug. D:< I'm offended that none of you want to hug a Metal Sonic.
You were the one cosplaying Metal? Awesome! You did an amazing job with it!

Awe! That's rather kind of you to say. I hope to improve for next year. I hope they even HAVE one next year! Feels like SEGA doesn't even want to recognize this event. They won't even post about it in their blog. ;_;

Boom 2013 did seem to be more hastily put together than the others. A small gag at the Boom West meetup yesterday was the event was so rushed they forgot to put the "2013" date on the t-shirts they handed out...

I wouldn't be surprised if they ceased holding these entirely barring the release of landmark titles, actually. The Generations party, from what I hear, had the most effort by far, and a perfect title to go with it. The others seem more a novelty than anything groundbreaking.

I could see that, too. The entire halt of Boom. They release too many Sonic games. Once a year, right? Yuck. While I love Sonic, I feel that's too many. No effort, like their con this year. I didn't even see they left out the year until you said something. D'oh! Maybe no budget? Like, it's lackluster this year due to low budget? I think they should actually turn Sonic Boom to promote all things SEGA. So not just Sonic. Sonic-- but not just. Gives the staff a larger option to play with. Focus is still Sonic. 

As usual, figured this thread might be a pertinent place to share this information.

If you're in the St. Louis area and would like a chance to meet fellow fans once again, Sonic St. Louis has hit about six members (and two observers, myself included) in its group, and the first meetup has been planned accordingly. It will be held on September 28th in the Delmar Loop; the group will meet up in front of the Pageant for nostalgia's sake. No exact time has been decided yet but this will be finalised in the coming days.

https://www.facebook.com/events/621730661211757/ If you might attend, feel free to RSVP on the Facebook page for reference; you can share any ideas or issues you may have so as to help with the organisation. The event is public so you don't need to be part of Sonic STL to attend.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

Damn, I really hope that someday Sonic Boom can inspire people all across the States to do something like this Sonic St. Louis, have a meet up in every major city. How fun would that be? I'd honestly love nothing more than to start a Sonic Pittsburgh someday. 

Damn, I really hope that someday Sonic Boom can inspire people all across the States to do something like this Sonic St. Louis, have a meet up in every major city. How fun would that be? I'd honestly love nothing more than to start a Sonic Pittsburgh someday.

That's precisely why I started up Sonic Social, Sapphire! It's supposed to help fans find chapters in their area, and if there isn't one, to help them found it and get it up and running. I also serve as something of a promotional guy in that regard, spreading the word and reporting on meets as they happen...

There's no Sonic Pittsburgh yet, but with Sonic Nevada, Sonic SoCal, Sonic Georgia, and all others popping up lately, don't rule out the possibility of one in the near future. smile.png Sonic Revolution's official website also includes a meetup list... so don't be surprised if a lot of nearby chapters pop up in the coming year.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like SEGA has put together this short little video as a recap. They must have been very busy with other things to finally get something rolled out. Good on them!

• Thumbs Up 3

Since I'm here, Sonic St. Louis has finally settled on a time and date! The first meetup of Sonic fans in the area will be held September 28th at 12 PM; fans will meet up in front of the Pageant (they will not be going INTO the Pageant).

My recommendation is for attendees to wear a Sonic shirt or other piece of merch so they're easily identifiable.

Sadly I won't be able to attend, but I'm happy that St. Louis Sonic fans will have a chance to enjoy the magic of meeting fellow fans for a second time, with or without SEGA's recognition. smile.png

Looks like SEGA has put together this short little video as a recap. They must have been very busy with other things to finally get something rolled out. Good on them!

I don't think I could spot myself in any of those. Rather sad!

They must have been very busy indeed... it's been well over a month! I think the SEGA staff have been really, really overworked this year. It makes me ponder if there will be a 2014 event at all...

My question is whether it will be in the Midwest again or shift further eastward. I think they'll be avoiding the West Coast for at least one or two years.

As I've said before, I'm just hopeful we'll get data on it much sooner than we did this year. Planning is a nightmare when events come up that late.

What are the factors that have you believe that Sonic Boom will not be visiting the West Coast any time soon? I have not found any sources regarding if they're wanting to travel with the event or go back to CA.

What are the factors that have you believe that Sonic Boom will not be visiting the West Coast any time soon? I have not found any sources regarding if they're wanting to travel with the event or go back to CA.

With the sentiment that they want to give non-Western fans a chance, I think that might continue into the coming years and they'll move the event all over the country. From a brand building perspective this would make sense, as it energises the fanbase all over the country. Imagine if every city was visited at some point and the fans there were so incensed by the event they decided to host their own the following year?

Guess we decided to form Sonic Revolution at just the right time!