Awoo.

Sonic Boom 2013 "Helllooooooooo St. Louis!"

Badnik Mechanic

Thought their would be a seperate topic for this but ok. I'll just post this here too...

YO LOOK AT THIS!!!

Ok now that I got your attention. I figure that the same rules we had for Sonic Generations' recording at SB2011 are applied here.

So, If your going to record footage of Lost World at SB2013, we fans would love if you follow these guidelines made by Cooljerk over at Sonic Retro:

If we're talking directly to those who are gonna be at *INSERT GAME EVENT HERE* and film the game, I have a couple of requests. There are dozens of off-camera videos released for every sonic game, and they all seem to have the same fundamental problems.

1) Film the entirety of the gameplay footage. People seem to get nervous when filming stuff off-camera, trying to cram everything of the entire event into their footage. This often leads to them panning the camera onto the controller, or looks around the room. I think people think that those watching are getting bored or something - trust me, the game footage is the most important thing to me. I'd like footage of the entire act from start to finish with no breaks in the screen.

2) If you need to film the controller for some reason, use a second camera. People often film the controller while playing so people will get a feel for how it controls. But this means panning away from the screen. If you can, use a second camera to film the controls separately, or if not possible, film the act once like normal, then play again and film only the controls. I say this because you can then later edit the footage to include the controls PIP style, which gives a much better feel for the controls, without breaking the footage of the game.

3) Please don't talk. I'm not trying to be an asshole, I really do want to hear what everyone has to say about this game... just not while filming. Please. Just film the game and try to pick up as much of the sound and music as possible.

4) Record someone who can actually play the game. This is pretty self-explanatory. You know what us fans want to see in gameplay videos (Physics for example) we don't want to see some nitwit fall into the same hole 4 times.

In case it's not obvious, I'm trying to get across the point that if you want to film the game and provide footage, please concentrate on the game as much as possible.

Sorry if this came off snobby or prickish, I'm not trying to be rude or insult anyone here, especially those who are gonna provide footage for us. I'm just putting in a few requests.

They sound pretty reasonable to follow. Thanks for sharing!

• Thumbs Up 2

I remember when he made that post over at Retro haha. I kept that in mind, and I already knew what exactly to do while making a "proper" gameplay video of course. If I want to talk about the game, i'll do so off camera or maybe post about it on here and all the other Sonic forums i'm a member on. ;) And who would want to record the controller, that'd be pretty boring if you ask me. xD

Lol yeah I know one of my bros from Retro would know these guidelines by heart. I just post this as a refresher to everyone since we get an influx of new members ever couple of months.

The lines for Transformed were pretty ridiculous and I don't want to miss the events downstairs...

I'm going to Gamestop's Expo 2013 in late August though so I'll probably play Lost World there. tongue.png

Also we're thinking about trying to book a room at the Moonrise hotel as well, maybe we'll cross paths Ogilvie . biggrin.png

It was 180 a night on Orbitz last I checked! Being right across the street is fairly convenient...

I suggest since you're going to be in St. Louis for a bit you should check out the zoo it's free. (Except for parking, but many people park on the side of the road for free...

I would, but we're likely just going to stay in the Delmar Loop for the three days I'm in town!

Hmm... I say the SA2 version. The melody is a little easier to sing along to. And I personally like that one better. But we should ask around, I think.

This song... is probably the most basebreaking thing since Shadow the Hedgehog. Seems both versions have quite a bit of support!

I guess we'll just have to wing it. Please no one boo me if I pull up the lyrics on my phone; I don't know every single word, even to this day!

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

xD No don't feel bad I'll probably end up looking at the lyrics on my phone too seeing how I still have yet to know all the lyrics as well. :P I think at some point we should sing Sonic Boom too since it's the name of the event. ;)

BOOM!

Play Lost World at Sonic Boom.

Costume contest, Crush 40, and Merchandise are also mentioned.

Wow, I can't wait to be underwhelmed like I always am when I play a Sonic game released after 2002!

Super hyped for Crush 40 tho. 

xD No don't feel bad I'll probably end up looking at the lyrics on my phone too seeing how I still have yet to know all the lyrics as well. tongue.png I think at some point we should sing Sonic Boom too since it's the name of the event. wink.png

Which is the main reason why I don't want to be at the front of the crowd for the concert! Johnny likes to put his mic out for individual members to finish a verse... and it would be hilariously awkward.

We'll be in line for an hour or so based on the last event. So there's lots of room for other songs! Hope there's lots of shade to cover us!

My friend being a troll suggested we sing Sonic Underground music. While I know quite a few of those tunes by heart (guilty pleasure) I'd rather not get Mega Mucked and Quilled. (Instead of tarred and feathered? Get it? Haha. I suck. sad.png)

Wow, I can't wait to be underwhelmed like I always am when I play a Sonic game released after 2002!

Super hyped for Crush 40 tho.

I will be whipping my friends into shape to make sure they know the lyrics to a sufficient degree.

I'm really curious what songs they'll use. While SA-Heroes songs are guaranteed, I think they mix up all the other ones. Only so much music you can fit into the span of an hour!

Pardon the double post! But given the immense negative reception to the move to Missouri this year, I have some news for those West Coasters who are disappointed.

Something of an update for those unable to attend this and longing for another California event.

http://www.sonicradio.net/home/2013/06/sonic-boom-california-september-14th/

SonicRemix, head of Sonicanime.net and founder of Sonic Radio, is hosting an alternative event in California. Basically a smaller-scale meetup for eating, playing games, and of course discussing the Blue Blur.

Key details:

PLACE: Dave & Busters in Orange, CA

TIME: September 14th, 2013 at 1:00 PM (PDT)

PLAN ON: Bringing money for meal and video games. We’re currently investigating packages that we can get for our group, but we need an idea of a headcount first. We will update you guys with this information, hopefully by August.

http://west.sonicboomtv.net/

SonicRemix has actually started a website for people to formally register to attend if they wish. Besides providing news, this is to help gauge the reception and thus possibly gain an official presence a la Summer of Sonic.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

From the SEGA Blog:

Takashi Iizuka Q&A at Sonic Boom 2013

"We’re pleased to announce that Takashi Iizuka, head of Sonic Team, will be at Sonic Boom 2013! He’ll be participating in a Q&A session on stage, so now’s your chance to submit your questions for him. If you’ve got a question, email it to us at communityteam@sega.com. We’ll be sorting through all the submitted questions, picking our favorites, and asking them live on stage!

Sonic Boom is taking place August 10th, 2013 at The Pageant in St. Louis, MO. Tickets are available via Ticketmaster, and you can also join our Facebook event. We look forward to seeing you there!"

Edited by Adam West -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, with all of this anger going on in California, I guess us here in the midwest better take advantage of this year. By the looks of it, the people on the west coast are just gonna get their way and get Sonic Boom moved back there, while we just sit here once again with nothing at all :/

Oh well, back on discussion, I can't wait for the Q&A session! Definitely a great opportunity for lots of begging questions to get answered!

I don't think that's the case with the site Ogilvie posted, as they want multiple events every year with the event moving from one state to another. However I do agree that a few members really shouldn't be upset as they always get this stuff in California... Anyway I wonder what questions have been sent so far. I have one I do want to send to Sega and will do so later. I'm curious to see if there will be a Episode III and if maybe Knux will make an appearance and to see if both him and Tails will be playable. :D

The mass "No" to the Marine the Raccoon question last year was hilarious.

I'll need to think of a question or two myself... who knows, maybe it'd be picked!

With regards to Boom going back to the West Coast, that's quite possible as SEGA is based there in the United States. On the other hand it could move further east entirely.

Which is why I'm putting my full support behind Sonic Boom West - I would like for there to be more than one event in the future (never mind, I'd like it if SEGA wasn't the chief financier of the events, as that means they can pull the plug at a moment's notice). Boom West is clearly going to have humble beginnings: so far it's at 9 yes and 7 maybes, myself included in the latter. I of course am hoping that future meetups have more people... though I definitely wish to attend the first because I want to do my part to make sure it's enjoyable; if the experience is grand, then the next one will be more successful due to better expectations.

As for the official event... just 25 more days to go! I'll need to hurry up and finish my conbadge so I'll be recognisable to any SSMB/Sonic Blast members...

• Thumbs Up 1

Just a few questions from a newbie. 

1. How big are the chances of Sonic Boom tickets selling out? Can I just pick up my tickets at the door? I don't want to buy them unless I'm sure I'm going, yet I don't want them to sell out either.

2. Will there be a dealer room? If there is, will it be run by sega or by the fans?

From the SEGA Blog:

Takashi Iizuka Q&A at Sonic Boom 2013

"We’re pleased to announce that Takashi Iizuka, head of Sonic Team, will be at Sonic Boom 2013! He’ll be participating in a Q&A session on stage, so now’s your chance to submit your questions for him. If you’ve got a question, email it to us at communityteam@sega.com. We’ll be sorting through all the submitted questions, picking our favorites, and asking them live on stage!

Sonic Boom is taking place August 10th, 2013 at The Pageant in St. Louis, MO. Tickets are available via Ticketmaster, and you can also join our Facebook event. We look forward to seeing you there!"

Just sent in 4 questions. I really hope one of mine gets asked! 

Just a few questions from a newbie. 

1. How big are the chances of Sonic Boom tickets selling out? Can I just pick up my tickets at the door? I don't want to buy them unless I'm sure I'm going, yet I don't want them to sell out either.

2. Will there be a dealer room? If there is, will it be run by sega or by the fans?

I would ask Sega themselves about both, though I'm pretty sure they did NOT sell out last year (but don't quote me on that). If you ask them via Twitter you're pretty likely to get a response, they're very good with that.

Low. It was during Comic-Con last year and they only sold about 800 of 1000 tickets based on what Mr. Webber told me (we asked how many were coming and he said 800). This was over a period of several months so no need to panic. We've yet to reach Summer of Sonic levels of sellout madness and with that 20-30 dollar price range we probably never will (thank you God).

They were selling some merchandise at the last one but it looked to only be t-shirts. Sonicmerchandise.com was trying to get folks to sign up last time, however.

I'm hoping they'll have a larger selection of merch this time but since it's a concert hall and not a convention center I'm not too positive there will be.

Just sent in 4 questions. I really hope one of mine gets asked!

I'm still debating what questions I should ask... I think I don't have any, oddly enough.

Also the Pageant allows you to buy tickets at their box office if you don't want to buy your ticket online for whatever reason. That way, once you go there you can pick up your tickets and be on your way, however I'd rather just buy the tickets online since the line might be a bit long... Yeah I hope some decent questions get picked this year. :P

We've yet to reach Summer of Sonic levels of sellout madness and with that 20-30 dollar price range we probably never will (thank you God).

I'm not really sure why the price is such a deterrent. I mean, $30 dollars isn't really even that much, most people I know that are in college blow that much in a weekend anyway so I'm not sure why it's such a big deal...

Huh.

I live an hour away from St. Louis...

maybe.

Same here, I already got tickets biggrin.png

distance is my only detterent, sorry but I have no reason to go to st Louis, if it had been in a california city maybe, but missouri, nope

^and that's why I didn't go last year. tongue.png

Any idea when this thing will be over? Site says doors open at 5 PM so I'll probably be showing up at around 4:40, but it'd be nice to know when I can expect to get out to inform my ride. Planning on printing off my tickets at home :P

I got a new Sonic cap like the one I mentioned earlier, only better because this one has ears smile.png

Now I'm ready for the heat.

10PM is what I think they're saying.

Thanks for the info, that should work out fine for me!

According to Facebook we're up to 522 people. I think we can safely assume 200-300 people who are going didn't check it on Facebook, so it sounds like we'll have quite a full house!

I'm not really sure why the price is such a deterrent. I mean, $30 dollars isn't really even that much, most people I know that are in college blow that much in a weekend anyway so I'm not sure why it's such a big deal...

30 bucks can actually be quite a bit for some people. It really depends on how tight you live from paycheck to paycheck.

distance is my only detterent, sorry but I have no reason to go to st Louis, if it had been in a california city maybe, but missouri, nope

Oh trust me, I was disappointed too; I was planning on visiting San Diego beaches as I normally do. Alas, it was not to be.

Hopefully the Sonic Boom West thing shall do well and slowly grow until we can have more than one con; America's too big to just have one.