Awoo.

Sonic Boom 2013 "Helllooooooooo St. Louis!"

Badnik Mechanic

The only thing is, I don't think the point of the Sonic Boom west is to have 2 separate conventions. The people living in the west were upset about the move, so they made their own to protest it and get Sega to move it back. 

Considering I've seen people on other sonic sites call St. Louis citizens "scumbags" just because we got one convention makes me think that they will do anything they can to get this convention away from St. Louis :/

Does anybody know what time they're getting there? Like, is it customary to get there slightly early and stand in line like for a concert, or what? 

The only thing is, I don't think the point of the Sonic Boom west is to have 2 separate conventions. The people living in the west were upset about the move, so they made their own to protest it and get Sega to move it back. 

Considering I've seen people on other sonic sites call St. Louis citizens "scumbags" just because we got one convention makes me think that they will do anything they can to get this convention away from St. Louis :/

That would really be kind of scumbaggish of those others, if that is true. I mean, if they just want to hold another because of the absence of a more western Sonic convention, go right on ahead. The more Sonic celebrations, the better, I say. But to hold one to protest the move of Sonic Boom, to the point of calling St. Louis citizens scumbags? That's way past uncool (teehee). Sega is (and I will be eternally grateful) trying to make it possible for more Sonic fans across the country to attend, and that's super awesome! I really hope they don't cave and make it California-only after this year, because the likelihood that I'll ever be able to attend one in Cali is pretty low... 

Edited by Sapphire

I really hope they don't cave and make it California-only after this year, because the likelihood that I'll ever be able to attend one in Cali is pretty low... 

Yep, my logic is that if I'm going to drive all the way to Calif, I might as well go to San Diego Comic-con instead.

The official goal of Sonic Boom West is to get a convention in the West, though also to possibly assist with expansion into other regions as well.

With SEGA's being located in California though, I wouldn't be surprised if Boom ends up going back there for organisational purposes.

My biggest reason for supporting West, however, is that I predict SEGA will eventually stop holding them; having it be grassroots means that fans can pick up the slack when that happens.

I do not doubt that, though it's saddening that such caustic remarks would be made. Everyone deserves a shot!

Does anybody know what time they're getting there? Like, is it customary to get there slightly early and stand in line like for a concert, or what?

The doors open at 5, but we waited in line for about an hour and a half last time. It goes by quick, and you can make friends with those you meet in line; we met a nice person by the name of Shawn while we waited in the 2012 line. He ended up staying with us the whole con and we exchange words with him on Facebook every so often.

Just pray that the heat isn't too bad!

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

I wonder now if this was being held in Chicago, many wouldn't be saying as many caustic remarks, if I can borrow Ogilvie's words there. And this is coming from a guy who lives in NYC. I know I can't attend SB anyway; I just hope this opens up to it being in various locations after this year. (If SB lasts that long that is.)

Edited by TheChaosBlue

Although I won't be able to be at the event, I'm looking forward to hearing Crush 40 perform live (Youtube). I've gotten a lot more into their music lately.

I wonder now if this was being held in Chicago, many wouldn't be saying as many caustic remarks, if I can borrow Ogilvie's words there. And this is coming from a guy who lives in NYC. I know I can't attend SB anyway; I just hope this opens up to it being in various locations after this year. (If SB lasts that long that is.)

Probably not; in all honesty I would have thought a Midwest convention would be in Texas or Chicago, rather than St. Louis, myself.

However, some people just feel entitled no matter what you do.

Hence my hoping for West to actually pick up; I'd love if there was more than one convention.

Although I won't be able to be at the event, I'm looking forward to hearing Crush 40 perform live (Youtube). I've gotten a lot more into their music lately.

I'll be doing my best to record them!

I will also do my best to record some footage of not only them, but the Q&A section as well as some gameplay footage of Lost World even if there are some videos on YT already. :P Also it's sad to hear people saying that people from St. Louis are scumbags... really guys? Talk about low, just because an event isn't going back to a place where it's been before... That is indeed sad to hear people post that but there are always some people like that everywhere you go unfortunately...

• Thumbs Up 1

Also it's sad to hear people saying that people from St. Louis are scumbags... really guys? Talk about low, just because an event isn't going back to a place where it's been before... That is indeed sad to hear people post that but there are always some people like that everywhere you go unfortunately...

I happen to be from St. Louis so...awkward...

The doors open at 5, but we waited in line for about an hour and a half last time. It goes by quick, and you can make friends with those you meet in line; we met a nice person by the name of Shawn while we waited in the 2012 line. He ended up staying with us the whole con and we exchange words with him on Facebook every so often.

In that case you might meet me there. wink.png

Don't worry dude, I'll go in your place.

• Thumbs Up 1

I will also do my best to record some footage of not only them, but the Q&A section as well as some gameplay footage of Lost World even if there are some videos on YT already. tongue.png

My largest concern is my camera only has one hour of footage... I may need to see if I can get a bigger one, or make use of my cell phone I suppose...

In that case you might meet me there. wink.png

I'll have an image of myself with my conbadge here soon and then the world may know what the infamous Maurice looks like. :P

My largest concern is my camera only has one hour of footage... I may need to see if I can get a bigger one, or make use of my cell phone I suppose...

Why don't you pick up a few SD cards, then you could use one for each event ( or couple of events). Or try and find a bigger one somewhere?

Why don't you pick up a few SD cards, then you could use one for each event ( or couple of events). Or try and find a bigger one somewhere?

I will probably need to do that!

Last year I only got one hour of footage... this year I want the whole enchilada!

I will also do my best to record some footage of not only them, but the Q&A section as well as some gameplay footage of Lost World even if there are some videos on YT already. tongue.png

Great to hear. I look forward to to seeing the videos posted up.

Just pray that the heat isn't too bad!

Yeah, I imagined people would wait in line outside a little bit before it starts. I just didn't want to be the awkward first one who shows up waaaay before it starts. :P

Yeah, I imagined people would wait in line outside a little bit before it starts. I just didn't want to be the awkward first one who shows up waaaay before it starts. tongue.png

I talked to SonicRemix of SonicAnime.net before, and she said she was able to actually meet with Johnny Gioeli and the like since she was one of the first people in. Since we don't get the autographs and such that Summer of Sonic does... there's a lot to be had for the diehard fan if they're first in line. ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

I talked to SonicRemix of SonicAnime.net before, and she said she was able to actually meet with Johnny Gioeli and the like since she was one of the first people in. Since we don't get the autographs and such that Summer of Sonic does... there's a lot to be had for the diehard fan if they're first in line. wink.png

No autographs? Aww. I was gonna see if I could get my Sonic 3 boxed cartridge signed.

No autographs? Aww. I was gonna see if I could get my Sonic 3 boxed cartridge signed.

As Hogfather said in the SoS topic as I recall, that is ultimately the biggest difference between the two events: Sonic Boom basically is a concert mixed with a panel, whereas Summer of Sonic is an actual convention.

So yes, we get screwed out of a chance to get signings or talk with the celebs. :(

Double post because it seems my above point might not be so true after all.

The latest Facebook post on the SoCal meetup had Evan Stanley's boyfriend (they are both California residents) confirming he was going to the Sonic Boom West meetup in Orange, California this September because Evan really loves Sonic. It is therefore safe to assume Ghosts of the Future artist/writer as well as Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog artist Evan Stanley will be in attendance!

So, in the event any West Coast fans cannot make the St. Louis event, consider this one! Seems we've got our first high-profile fandom member already!

I will most certainly be trying to get to the event now; I will need to bring one of Evan Stanley's Archie issues to have her autograph it.

I mean, assuming she doesn't mind! You never know...

Too far away from me.................................... sad.png

Summer of Sonic (which fueled the demand for Sonic Boom) originated as a fan meetup. While it was a lot of work, it's logically doable anywhere with a sizable fanbase; consider getting together with other Scandinavian fans and working on setting up a Sonicnavian convention!

As it sounds like SEGA Europe's effectively extinct, grassroots events sound like the sole approach that will work for European fans outside the UK.

From the Facebook page:

"Think you know Sonic trivia? Email your best trivia questions and answers to communityteam@sega.com and we could use it during the trivia contest at Sonic Boom 2013! Get more info at http://bit.ly/14bqHQA and get your tickets to Sonic Boom at http://bit.ly/14bqHQG."

Well, I have six questions and answers ready, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to include multiple choices or if the team will do that themselves...

As Hogfather said in the SoS topic as I recall, that is ultimately the biggest difference between the two events: Sonic Boom basically is a concert mixed with a panel, whereas Summer of Sonic is an actual convention.

So yes, we get screwed out of a chance to get signings or talk with the celebs. sad.png

Oh well. At least I'll get a shot at Lost World and listen to Crush 40.

Oh well. At least I'll get a shot at Lost World and listen to Crush 40.

Those are definitely perks, indeed!

I myself will probably save my attempts to play Lost World for Gamestop's expo later in August simply so I don't have to combat a horde of enthusiastic fans to get to it. tongue.png

I do wish one day we could become an all-day, massive event like Summer of Sonic, of course!

...preferably without that ever-looming ticket shortage issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I have six questions and answers ready, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to include multiple choices or if the team will do that themselves...

My guess is that they come up with them...

My guess is that they come up with them...

Let's hope! I sent them in...

Three were Archie-related, but hopefully it's obscure enough.

I will scream with glee if any of them get chosen.