Awoo.

I Hope You Weren't Wanting A New F-Zero....

Patticus

"I certainly understand that people want a new F-Zero game," Miyamoto said. "I think where I struggle is that I don’t really have a good idea for what’s new that we could bring to F-Zero that would really turn it into a great game again. Certainly I can see how people looking at Mario Kart 8 could see, through the anti-gravity, a connection to F-Zero. But I don’t know, at this point, what direction we could go in with a new F-Zero."

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/20/dont-get-your-hopes-up-for-f-zero

So, they know we want a new F-Zero yet they don't want to make one because they can't think of a never-done-before gimmick (and Mario Kart 8 stole its anti-gravity shtick). Here's some news for Nintendo: everything that can be done, probably has been. Get over it and try to find new ways to adopt already-seen-but-maybe-not-in-F-Zero stuff, like Trackmania's track editor, Grid's time reversal mechanic etc.

Nintendo's execs, like Miyamoto, don't seem to understand that new gimmicks aren't always necessary for new games. F-Zero fans (alongside fans of StarFox, 1080 and others) have been so starved for new material for so long compared to Zelda and Metroid fans that nobody would mind an HD downloadable re-release of X and GX's tracks with 30-player online support.

• Thumbs Up 7

I don't really see the need to introduce new things to it.

Just grab F-Zero X and polish the gameplay a bit, what's the big deal. After so many years since the last F-Zero game I wouldn't really care about new stuff, I'd care about having a new game in the series. 

• Thumbs Up 1

F-Zero...?

Is that a Captain Falcon spin-off or something?  He's a Smash Bros. original character, right?

• Thumbs Up 3

F-Zero GX only sold 650,000 copies world wide. So despite what he says about creativity, it's really more about no one giving a damn.

• Thumbs Up 1

"We don't have any new ideas for the game so we won't make it"

But yet they'll make a a lot of similar Mario Kart games or Mario Party games and so on.

So how about not ruining F-Zero with 'innovation' and instead build upon the fast paced foundation that GX brought to the table, fleshing out a better story mode that isn't insanely unfair/hard, online multiplayer - hell maybe even making your own racer to use. I dunno I think really F-Zero as a racer doesn't need a whole lot of innovation but just a lot of smoothing out of the features before. I don't get Nintendo sometimes, their software I find never really is all that innovative despite them always claiming it to be and it has frustrated me so much this last gen because I feel most of it tends to be shoehorned in. But that's a totally different gripe I'm not getting into. Also that 'turn it into a great game again' line kinda irks me but I am not sure if that is a translation thing or what. F-Zero GX was the last game released to my knowledge and is a great game...so the series kind of just ended off being great.

But yeah, I'd totally love to play a new F-Zero, it is one of the few racing game franchises I really enjoy. Its futuristic and fast and fun and man would it ever look breathtaking in HD. Star Fox is another franchise I'd love to see come back too. In fact most of the console Nintendo IPs I look forward to are so scarce these days in general :/. 

Edited by Meow
  • Thumbs Up 3

Right, time for the debate to begin.

Remember, no biting or pulling hair.

Oh, and no firearms.

Edited by Scout Azure

F Zero sells like shit honestly.

If he doesn't want to do another one than can you blame him?

I find it hilariously ironic how the simplest of innovations to the Mario Kart games is enough to justify a new game, yet Miyamoto is somehow at a loss as to what to add to the F-Zero titles, which are already dynamic enough as they are with enough potential to more than justify an HD sequel

I just don't get it

• Thumbs Up 2

F-Zero GX only sold 650,000 copies world wide. So despite what he says about creativity, it's really more about no one giving a damn.

Not sure people really gave a damn about Kid Icarus before they revitalised that.

Nintendo do with some IP variation, both to attract new customers, keep a hold of existing ones and to draw back ones that have left. F-Zero could do just that if they wanted it to. 

• Thumbs Up 1

How well are F-Zero games typically advertised? Because I can't remember ever seeing a TV ad campaign for any of its installments.

Things that aren't marketed don't sell.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would Love to see a new F-Zero/Star Fox game and think his reasoning is iffy, but at the same time if other "Dead" franchises like Punch Out and Kid Icarus can get a revival, so can those two, so I am not too bothered by this.

I said it before but I'll say it again because this is a topic now:

FUCK Shigsy's ideal that anything that doesn't sell a bajillion copies isn't worth making. I can understand wanting to make system sellers first, but to basically abandon these franchises!? Fuck this, Nintendo is becoming the new SEGA in the fact that they have all of these awesome franchises that people love and NEVER FUCKING USE THEM. It's not like they don't have the money to take risks, so why not pay for obscure franchises with the system sellers? It makes no fucking sense how they do it now. 

I sorely hope we get either a good Metroid, Star Fox, or F-Zero on Wii-U or 3ds (I know we already had a Star Fox on 3ds but an original one) or else I'll probably lose a lot of faith in Nintendo by next gen.

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think an F-Zero on the Wii U would do real well to be honest. Just because it'd stand out on the system, and there isn't a whole lot of games like it out on the market in general right now let alone on the Wii U. I think if they were to market it correctly it'd sell decently. I don't think it'd make waves, but it could be profitable! (plus it'd be a good game I'm sure). I wouldn't give it an insane budget or anything just to be safe, but I think a game like F-Zero doesn't even need a huge budget to begin with.

If any time would be to revive the franchise I almost think it'd be now :o

>Nintendo gives F-Zero to Sega

>Sega uses a the boost gameplay as the base for it.(or something very similar)

>Profit?

:P

Edited by The Sonic Stadium

That's 650,000 copies of a game whose development costs were outsourced and were spread out among two games; and 650,000 copies which a large percentage of almost certainly went to people who probably wouldn't have given the Gamecube a second look had it not come out on it.

Honestly? Just give us new tracks, a few new racers, 30 player online (holy shit) and an HD lick of paint.

Viola, a high end, fast paced futuristic racing game!

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess I should've seen it coming. I mean they have two racing games they can spend time and money into: One with a character and franchise not many people know, or stapling Mario's face to it with a game that's been around long enough as well to grind off the nostalgic points. I mean business-wise Mario Kart is the no brainer for a racer to concentrate on, since it'd probably double the sales of whatever F-Zero would produce.

The sad thing is they don't give it a chance. I bet if they just re-introduced F-Zero with not really new gimmicks, but welcoming outsiders instead to what it's about, it'd be a strong foundation for a popular "new" IP they could start to innovate afterward, instead of the dime a dozen "Mario (insert whatever activity we're doing here)" games.

The way they constantly spam Mario and Zelda I think is gonna wear thin eventually. It'll always will sell probably, but I'd rather give some other things like F-Zero and stuff to shine, which at the same time would make their prized IPs way more special.

• Thumbs Up 1

I said it before but I'll say it again because this is a topic now:

FUCK Shigsy's ideal that anything that doesn't sell a bajillion copies isn't worth making. I can understand wanting to make system sellers first, but to basically abandon these franchises!? Fuck this, Nintendo is becoming the new SEGA in the fact that they have all of these awesome franchises that people love and NEVER FUCKING USE THEM. It's not like they don't have the money to take risks, so why not pay for obscure franchises with the system sellers? It makes no fucking sense how they do it now. 

I sorely hope we get either a good Metroid, Star Fox, or F-Zero on Wii-U or 3ds (I know we already had a Star Fox on 3ds but an original one) or else I'll probably lose a lot of faith in Nintendo by next gen.

I really think you're overreacting just a bit. I said this in the other topic, but I think they are making system sellers and money printers first and then they're going to work on the other franchises. I don't know why we're so quick to jump to the conclusion that they're dead and abandoned and Nintendo ain't touching them again.

• Thumbs Up 3

F-Zero had boost before SEGA even thought about it for Sonic.
Sonic Heroes special stages.

F-Zero had boost power since the SNES version. Or was it X? Either way, years and years before Sonic Heroes. Despite what I said, I do actually like F-Zero. Just can't get riled up about it not existing anymore.

Edited by Super Mario

If he doesn't want to do another one than can you blame him?

And instead of admitting that he just made another dumb fucking excuse that doesn't make any sense.

Not that it's even relevant when you have a whole two home console generations that saw no major Star Fox or F-Zero releases on them. It's not like they can't reintroduce these franchises to a new audience.

It's not like they could use a few new interesting IPs on their brand new console that has been out almost a full year with little to nothing to draw people in.

No no, they just need a new Mario game before Christmas. That'll do it.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 7

@Mario

It did? Don't remember from I played of it.

Edited by Soniman

I guess I should've seen it coming. I mean they have two racing games they can spend time and money into: One with a character and franchise not many people know, or stapling Mario's face to it with a game that's been around long enough as well to grind off the nostalgic points. I mean business-wise Mario Kart is the no brainer for a racer to concentrate on, since it'd probably double the sales of whatever F-Zero would produce.

The sad thing is they don't give it a chance. I bet if they just re-introduced F-Zero with not really new gimmicks, but welcoming outsiders instead to what it's about, it'd be a strong foundation for a popular "new" IP they could start to innovate afterward, instead of the dime a dozen "Mario (insert whatever activity we're doing here)" games.

The way they constantly spam Mario and Zelda I think is gonna wear thin eventually. It'll always will sell probably, but I'd rather give some other things like F-Zero and stuff to shine, which at the same time would make their prized IPs way more special.

I imagine it's a constant balancing act. "Do we invest on something fresher that could potentially bomb, or do we invest in something that will almost certainly sell units but on the whole come across as tried and true?" With Nintendo's current predicament with the Wii U, it may have changed their outlook regarding risk.

Edited by Ringo ~